Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   So I'm getting screwed by a bookie. Ideas? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546460)

Daliman 11-15-2007 02:00 PM

Re: So I\'m getting screwed by a bookie. Ideas?

[ QUOTE ]
wow daliman - stop loaning/giving money to everyone and stop being so trusting of everyone. You may end up mostly writing off the $80k that the bookie owes you because he possibly can't pay anyway and you really aren't willing to do anything too sketchy/dangerous to try to get it.
And I'm guessing that a lot of the other money you 'loaned' out in that other thread hasn't been paid back either.

You need to hang on to all your money like a true nit. And this means not loaning anyone a freaking dime. Seriously, this is a real problem.

I also fail to understand how you let the bookie loan get up to $80k. I mean, after you got to $30k or $40k or whatever and he still hadn't paid you might stop thinking, "I know he's good for it. Lets bet another $2k on the Packers."

It's possible that the reason he continued to take your action even though he was already in too deep was so that maybe you could run cold and he could get it back to even or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my above post; the debt grew 44k in a day.

Daliman 11-15-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
factor debt to people who will collect as I suggested before, LDO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not doing that, period. I have a family. But other investors are not quite as interested in being diplomatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't understand what you mean. Banks and I-banks factor their debt all the time. This *is* the diplomatic solution. Once you factor the debt, you are out of the equation.

If you factor to a friend of his, or a bookie he lays off his action with who will give you $25k, you're $25k better off and your bookie is rid of his debt to you. Win-win.

If I offered you $50k cash right now, would you take it? Of course you would. I don't understand the problem, there's a multi-$billion industry based on collections with publicly traded companies and everything. [Obvs I understand he is not Kmart LDO]

If your plan is to get no one involved and hope he pays you...I wish you luck with that, honestly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I misunderstood your inference previously. "Factoring" as you are using it, is not a term I am familiar with, but I will look into this as soon as I get a chance.

Rococo 11-15-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few thoughts:

--The O in RICO stands for "Organizations". One guy with a phone and a pencil does not fall under "Corrupt Organizations".

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't work for the U.S. attorneys' office.

Jazzy3113 11-15-2007 02:46 PM

Dali,
I did not read through the thread so I apologize if my suggestion has already been mentioned. The only contact I have had with a bookie was when I was still in school and there was a campus bookie. Nothing bad ever happened between me and him, but I always asked alot of questions. I think your best option for screwing him is to write a detailed report on how his business functions and give it to the police. Your best bet to collect your cash is too farm it out for like 35-45%.

Both options kinda suck as in one you get no cash and the other puts you into contact with scum that could follow you around. I still think the best option are these large online books.

Jazzy3113 11-15-2007 03:33 PM

Edit: After reading the replies and taking into account your new baby, maybe you should let your "investors" take over this collection and give you a piece of anything they can recover.

MyTurn2Raise 11-15-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in todays world, what is the point of using a bookie anyway? I can line shop from the privacy of my home, I can make a bet in my boxers, and I know the sites that I have money on aren't going to stiff me if I happen to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only this were true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dawg24 11-15-2007 04:26 PM

I know this may sound crazy or you may think it will put your family in danger but it wont....

IF he owns his own business that is reputable this should not be that hard. Go there with a couple of friends and wait for him...he will not be able to duck you...

Let him know you are serious and want to set up a payment plan. Insist on no less than $10k before you leave...make sure you say something along the lines of "you are not leaving me a lot of options" if he refuses...

If he continues to refuse..hit him where it hurts...the wallet...there are plenty of people who could accidently place a descent amount of cocaine in his desk drawer and a tip to the police that its there...

Someone said it before but put the shoe on the other foot...what if you owed him...he would do this or much worse...

JbruNation 11-15-2007 04:27 PM

I'd just get a crew together and pay him a vist. ie if he has a business, take it down by whatever means.

OR

you could write a detailed report and send it to the press. with all the gambling issues in the news right now im sure they would be interested in a back door bookie.
I would think about getting on a internet bookie or moving to vegas to avoid this prob again.
peace.

not a model 11-15-2007 05:20 PM

send him a sweater for christmas, except not an ordinary sweater--but a REALLY ITCHY SWEATER! he'll either be uncomfortable when he wears it or he'll have to get rid of it and feel bad about getting rid of your gift... a "win/win," as they say.

Rococo 11-15-2007 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know this may sound crazy or you may think it will put your family in danger but it wont....

[/ QUOTE ]

How in the world do you know?

[ QUOTE ]
If he continues to refuse..hit him where it hurts...the wallet...there are plenty of people who could accidently place a descent amount of cocaine in his desk drawer and a tip to the police that its there...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point? To show him that noone fvcks with Mr. Zero?

limon 11-15-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dali,

My unofficial advice:

Get in touch with the guy directly. Do whatever it takes to make this happen. Be creative.

Do whatever it takes -- call from a payphone; have an intermediary make a bet that you plan to lose, schedule a meet to pay, and interrupt the meet; show up at his place of reputable business, whatever you can do.

When you do, bring a friend, the kind of friend you'd like to do this sort of thing with. Do not show up alone.

Calmly but clearly explain that you'd like to receive your money, and that you're more than happy to work out a payment plan.

Do not try to get cute and roll him for vig.

Propose he can drop you 20k a week for the next four weeks, for example, and you'll be more than happy.

Collect the first payment, or at least a down payment on the first payment, right there.

-P

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone who knows both sides well, this is the best and only way to go.

Performify 11-15-2007 05:51 PM

There's a lot of really bad advice in this thread, and I'd really not like it to keep up even though some of it is funny.

Doing anything overtly illegal is a very bad idea. Directly threatening the guy is not a great idea. Attempting any sort of physical violence or thuggery in Dali's position is almost ludicrous.

Chase it as much as its worth to you. Don't take it any farther than you have to, and don't try to be a hero or think that the law or anything else is on your side. You're already in criminal territory and the last thing you want to do is descend any farther there.

You have one option -- verbal confrontation, ideally in their place of legitimate business. You have to try to be reasonable and get what you can. In your case I'd settle for $.50 on the dollar in payment plans from the guy if you could get it at this point. 5k a week for four weeks and you'll let him off the hook. Otherwise you'll be in his offices twice a day.

Pay back your investors at the same 50% rate, and learn the lesson of how bad an idea it was to try to run a syndicate pushing a rogue line on wong teasers through a local.

So far, the sweater is the second best idea. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-P

NajdorfDefense 11-15-2007 05:54 PM

I don't understand, assuming this guy lays off risk with other local bookies, why not factor the debt to them? He can ignore you but he has to lay off risk with *somebody* and for 50 cents on the dollar I bet they gladly withhold whatever 'hedges' he wins from them until they collect your debt for themselves.

[If he doesn't hedge, this obvs does not apply.]

As Perf says, take whatever reasonable solution you can get.

Performify 11-15-2007 06:10 PM

Naj,

All locals hedge if they know what they're doing. They'll take unbalanced action to a point, but they're usually going to shift some of it, somewhere, sometime.

Big problem is its hard for them to lay off teaser money, especially with what Dali was doing. RR'ing six teams a week, you really think the guy's going to go through and figure out how to best lay that action off? Not to mention that he can't effectively since he's offering a MUCH better price than the market, even if he wanted to...

Point is, no other locals are going to want to get involved with this.

Not to mention, you're not going to be able to find someone he has a relationship with to begin with, and even if you could, they're not going to want to get involved. If they're doing business together it's not something they're going to disrupt on the word of some random guy who claims he's owed 80k (not that i'm doubting, but again its not like you have documentation).

What are you envisioning? Dali working the rounds trying to find another local, asking them if they know Mr. X, and then telling them that Mr. X owes me 80k would you like to buy it off?

Dali,

You really don't want to go trying to sell this debt off. The _only_ way to effectively do so would be to sell it to your local version of "Grammar" and move further in to the criminal / thuggery world. Which you don't want to do here, ldo.

Your only option is verbal confrontation, ideally in the legit place of business, and intimidation / settlement. But don't dream of pushing too hard, as 80k is more than enough for someone to get desperate.

This whole situation is essentially someone complaining about a cancelled bet on a rogue line.

I don't want to be too harsh, Dali. But you knew 6-point 2-team teasers at +100 was a rogue line these days, and instead of trying to milk it gently you put together a mini-syndicate and pounded it. You certainly didn't deserve to get stiffed, but its not surprising at all you'd get cut off. Depending on how quickly you ramped up your action, sounds like you may have caught him offguard with your winrate and how much he'd owe so quickly. Unless he's really stupid, he's probably not busto and is just trying to screw you over directly. Take the recommended action, you're likely to get some of "your" money, maybe even most of it if you play your cards right.

This sort of thing is VERY common with winning bettors in the local world unless you build a relationship with your local. If you have a good relationship with them, if you generally help them balance their books / etc, you'd be surprised at how well they'll treat you.

If you find an edge (hugely stale line, mispriced teasers, whatever) and try to absolutely hammer it, don't be surprised when your action gets cut / you get stiffed / you get a visit.

-P

lowroller 11-15-2007 06:40 PM

You are not seeing any money until you look this guy in the eye. He may be bust, but he probably isn't. He knows you're a thousand miles away, and he may think the only info you have on him is a phone #. That is why he isn't picking up the phone. In effect, he is saying "what are you going to do about it?".

He is taking a shot at not paying you, plain and simple.

Show this guy you are serious about getting paid. Take some of that money you've beat him out of and hop on a plane. Go to his business or wherever you can find him. It may be as simple as walking into his office, or you may have to "get creative" as one poster put it.

When you find him, ask him what his position is.

He will tell you.

More than likely you will get some sob story, but he is going to tell you one of three things:

1. He's not paying. Period.

2. He pays you in full on the spot.

3. He gives you a story that he doesn't have the money, but wants to pay you.

Most likely, you are going to get #3 or some variant thereof. You are going to have to guage his sincerity though, because when you corner someone who owes you they will ALWAYS tell you that you are going to get paid.

Your meeting and conversation with this guy is going to dictate how you handle this situation.

lowroller 11-15-2007 06:51 PM

Another important thing to do is to act swiftly!

In my experience, the longer the money is owed, the tougher it is to collect.

EC10 11-15-2007 07:10 PM

daliman give me 5k and i'll beat him up* for you

*buy him a beer

Henry17 11-15-2007 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doing anything overtly illegal is a very bad idea. Directly threatening the guy is not a great idea. Attempting any sort of physical violence or thuggery in Dali's position is almost ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming his position is having a family? My understanding is that there is a decent amount of distance between Dali and the bookie. I don't really see the bookie striking back as a likely outcome. Esp since if I'm reading correctly the bookie is not actually bust he is just choosing not to pay.

I myself wouldn't hesitate but I'm also don't have any of OP's considerations. I also know that I have someone who would deal with it that I can trust and that nothing would come back on me. That being said I'm pretty sure OP has made it clear he is not interested in doing down this road so my advice is just to write it off and don't use a bookie in the future. There is no way the guy is going to pay without coercion.

How do the investors feel about the situation?

wiper 11-15-2007 07:38 PM

if i lived within a short drive of this guy, and had info, i may've been interested in seeing how much I could get out of him...

i'm broke, half of what i get back sounds delicious.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

hogua 11-15-2007 07:56 PM

Bookies understand two things money and force. I wouldn't threaten him with anything unless you can/will back it up.

That said, before you threaten him, try to get him on a payment plan, which should include juice on what he owes you.

You may need to bring/hire some muscle for show, but I'd hold off on that if possible.

Approach him as one professional to another. Remind him that his business is based on trust and that if people heard he doesn't pay, that his business would be over.

He holds the power here, so don't push him too far. Make it easy on him to agree to your terms, but make sure the terms are yours ($x paid per week with 2% weekly vig on the principle, etc).

This is where having him think you have muscle on your side can go a long way. Because once he agrees, he'll need a bit of incentive to honor the deal. If you talk to him with three big dudes standing behind you, he will remember. Of course he won't know if these guys are freinds of your or just three guys you met at the gym and gave $100 each to have them stand behind you.

thing85 11-15-2007 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That said, before you threaten him, try to get him on a payment plan, which should include juice on what he owes you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're nuts to think that he's going to get interest on top of the money owed. I think he should focus on getting at least some of that money before he even dreams of interest.

hogua 11-15-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're nuts to think that he's going to get interest on top of the money owed. I think he should focus on getting at least some of that money before he even dreams of interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing for sure is that there's no way the bookie is going to pay juice if OP doesn't ask/insist that he does. You can always ask more more and settle of less, but it very difficult to do the opposite.

MicroBob 11-15-2007 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went 31-0-5

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, wow. That's a pretty damn good streak.
Is that 5 pushes and 0 losses?
Really?!?!

RikkiDee 11-15-2007 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in todays world, what is the point of using a bookie anyway? I can line shop from the privacy of my home, I can make a bet in my boxers, and I know the sites that I have money on aren't going to stiff me if I happen to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only this were true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly I am a sports betting noob, but why is this false?

brendanb438 11-15-2007 08:59 PM

Bob that was the week the Wong Teasers couldn't lose. The Skins or the Chiefs were the push if I remember correctly. Don't remember which team.

silentbob 11-15-2007 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are not seeing any money until you look this guy in the eye. He may be bust, but he probably isn't. He knows you're a thousand miles away, and he may think the only info you have on him is a phone #. That is why he isn't picking up the phone. In effect, he is saying "what are you going to do about it?".

He is taking a shot at not paying you, plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

selurah 11-16-2007 12:08 AM

Just curious here:

If somebody goes to NY and scares this guy bad enough that he coughs up the 80K, how much is the cut?

domer2 11-16-2007 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
send him a sweater for christmas, except not an ordinary sweater--but a REALLY ITCHY SWEATER! he'll either be uncomfortable when he wears it or he'll have to get rid of it and feel bad about getting rid of your gift... a "win/win," as they say.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about going into his closet and collecting all the dessicates? In around 5 years, all of the clothes will be noticeably musty.

B00T 11-16-2007 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If only this were true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly I am a sports betting noob, but why is this false?

[/ QUOTE ]

online books are far from immaculate

they go under, they withhold money after the fact, they cancel wagers with zero explanation, there are people named Lenny in the business, and a whole slew of other reasons why online books can stiff you just like the guy in your local bar

strongbox 11-16-2007 03:06 PM

so here is a bit of advice from a local....

As many people have already said, all that a local bookie has is his reputation. If word gets out that he doesn't pay or pays slow it can cripple his biz. So what you need to do is get in touch with him by any means. You know he has a legit biz, so depending on the type of biz approach the company as a new vendor/customer, someone that would need to speak directly with the owner. Call him 10 times a day if thats what it takes. When you get him on the phone, don't threaten to go to the cops or anything like that. Tell him that you expect to be paid in full ( no vig ), but you understand if that will take him some time, see what he is willing to offer. Most bookies do not want their names tarnished, this 80k could cost him 100s of future action. The fact that he has a legit biz that you know about shows that he was never planning on screwing you to begin with, otherwise he never would have exposed that info.

I would say about 90% of locals these days are actually just middlemen for offshore books. They go out an get the customers, handle the collection and payouts, and get a piece of the players net loss from the offshore book. The fact that this guy was giving you even money 6pt teasers shows that he was not laying it off or in bed with an offshore, none of them offer that, trust me. So this means that he is more than likely just a guy who thought that " the book always wins" , and was keeping the action himself. He might be broke, or at least cash poor , but he has a legit business that presumably makes money. Tell him to put you on the salary at his company as a no show job for 2k a month. There are huge tax advantages to him, and you can show some legit income for all the money you have made slapping him with your wong. Even if you only get 1 or 2k a month from him its better than getting nothing.

If he refuses to work with you then you should go back to the channels that hooked you up with this guy. If your pal vouched for you with this bookie, and you didn't pay, your pal would be on the hook for your debt. The same thing goes for the flipside. Have your pal contact bookie and say, " what you are doing is wrong, and you know it. This will ruin your future business with not only me but also everyone else that I have sent to you". Hopefully your pal is a big customer that bookie will not want to loose.

If none of this works, and you are not willing to hire thugs to go get your money, you chalk it up as a loss and tell everyone you can not to deal with the guy.

Post-Oak 11-16-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If none of this works, and you are not willing to hire thugs to go get your money, you chalk it up as a loss and tell everyone you can not to deal with the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point, why not tip off the FBI? The guy took out of state bets, and also sent/received money across state lines. He committed federal crimes which fall under the jurisdiction of the FBI. If he ever used the US Postal Service, they should be contacted too (that may sound funny, but their law enforcement arm is no joke).

I'm not sure if it is possible to be an independent bookie in Syracuse, or if he is partnered up/paying "taxes" to organzied crime in Buffalo or NYC. If he does have dealings with organized crime, he would be even more [censored].

IMO, the threat of you ruining his life/business is the only chance you have of getting paid.

Thremp 11-16-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he does have dealings with organized crime, he would be even more [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a great way to ruin your own life.

Chalk up the losses. You weren't thinking the whole situation through and got burned.

Post-Oak 11-16-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You watch too many movies. If we lived in Mexico, Colombia, or even Italy, my advice would be to steer well clear of anyone who might even be a minor associate of an organized crime group.

In the US, organized crime relies on corruption, fear and intimidation (not unrestrained violence). An example is that people think bookies murder people who owe them money. How often do you actually think this happens? They start with threats, and move on to beatings. Committing a murder would be extremely rare.

In the US, the most dangerous criminals are the dumbest and least successful ones. If this guy was some stupid 18 year old clown who watched the Sopranos way too much, he would be a bigger danger to Daliman's life than a middle-aged, successful OC associate.

You should remember that the biggest, baddest gang in the world is the US government. Nobody [censored] with them (except excessively stupid and crazy people). Do you realize that in other countries the OC groups have been known to kill law enforcement, prosecutors, judges and random civilians? An environment of unrestrained, massive violence doesn't fly here. That's not how the successful organized crime groups work.

This guy isn't some dumb-ass gangbanger who is gonna shoot his fellow teenager because his doo-rag is the wrong color. He is a guy with a wife and kids, with a legitimate business. Even if he goes to his associates, they are just gonna tell him to sit tight and keep his mouth shut (in other words, do some small jail time).

Post-Oak 11-16-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You watch too many movies. If we lived in Mexico, Colombia, or even Italy, my advice would be to steer well clear of anyone who might even be a minor associate of an organized crime group.

In the US, organized crime relies on corruption, fear and intimidation (not unrestrained violence). An example is that people think bookies murder people who owe them money. How often do you actually think this happens? They start with threats, and move on to beatings. Committing a murder would be extremely rare.

In the US, the most dangerous criminals are the dumbest and least successful ones. If this guy was some stupid 18 year old clown who watched the Sopranos way too much, he would be a bigger danger to Daliman's life than a middle-aged, successful OC associate.

You should remember that the biggest, baddest gang in the world is the US government. Nobody [censored] with them (except excessively stupid and crazy people). Do you realize that in other countries the OC groups have been known to kill law enforcement, prosecutors, judges and random civilians? An environment of unrestrained, massive violence doesn't fly here. That's not how the successful organized crime groups work.

This guy isn't some dumb-ass gangbanger who is gonna shoot his fellow teenager because his doo-rag is the wrong color. He is a guy with a wife and kids, with a legitimate business. Even if he goes to his associates, they are just gonna tell him to sit tight and keep his mouth shut (in other words, do some small jail time).

[/ QUOTE ]

I should also add that I just said he should tip off the FBI. I am not saying he should walk into the local crime lord's office and say "I am taking over" or anything like that.

Just drop this guy a hint that you are gonna go to the FBI.

If he doesn't pay up, go ahead and do it. You are just tipping them off, and telling them what to look for. You wouldn't need to testify or anything like that. You would just start the ball rolling, and give them a reason to start the investigation/surveillance.

Also, being scared that they will jump all over you for PLACING bets is just more of being scared of your own shadow. They want info on serious criminals.

If you know some specifics about how his business works (where is the wire room, what is the phone number, who works for him, etc.), then so much the better.

Thremp 11-16-2007 04:31 PM

PO,

Thank you for clearing up the status of organized crime in America. I'm glad we have an expert on the Mafia here on 2p2. Many thanks.

Post-Oak 11-16-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PO,

Thank you for clearing up the status of organized crime in America. I'm glad we have an expert on the Mafia here on 2p2. Many thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of my info is gleaned from watching movies and TV sitcoms. I'm glad I could help.

The real answer is that the "Mafia" (you are misusing this term, showing your ignorance) will track down and kill Daliman's family (probably using a bomb), even if they go into the Witness Protection Program.

Thremp 11-16-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PO,

[/ QUOTE ]

All of my info is gleaned from watching movies and TV sitcoms. I'm glad I could help.

The real answer is that the "Mafia" (you are misusing this term, showing your ignorance) will track down and kill Daliman's family (probably using a bomb), even if they go into the Witness Protection Program.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought first they kill the family pet, then they threaten his wife/kids in a grocery store parking lot... Have I been taking notes from the wrong shows?

Should I reference Goodfellas or Godfather again?

Post-Oak 11-16-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought first they kill the family pet, then they threaten his wife/kids in a grocery store parking lot... Have I been taking notes from the wrong shows?

Should I reference Goodfellas or Godfather again?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are right. The family pet does definitely get it.

This is how it happens.

1. Daliman leaves an anonymous tip to the FBI
2. the FBI figures out who Daliman is and arrests him
3. the FBI tips off the Mafia, who they are in bed with
4. Daliman's entire extended family is "whacked"
5. Daliman gets out of prison after 20 years, vowing revenge

That's probably how it would play out.

Henry17 11-16-2007 05:15 PM

This thread gets even better. Thanks Post-Oak.

Austiger 11-16-2007 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Committing a murder would be extremely rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sold. If you do end up getting murdered, your wife can always tell people that you did the right thing in Sklansky terms and blame your death on being results oriented.