Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The "Never Say" Book (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545073)

AngusThermopyle 11-14-2007 06:01 PM

Re: The \"Never Say\" Book

"Who's it up to?"

One guess Sherlock. The fact that everybody is staring at you might provide a clue.

DrVanNostrin 11-14-2007 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Donkey" anyone that calls someone a donkey

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT

[ QUOTE ]
I was the first BB in a single table and said "I like to go all in on my first BB." I proceeded to look down at AA and got 2 callers.

River went check check with some a-hole "I have a 4 card flush." Board was [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] He says "good" and mucks. Dealer says "Jack high wins." The guy then says "you said flush" everyone at the table simultaniously says "no he said 4 card flush." Everyone hated this guy to say the least (so did the dealer).

[/ QUOTE ]
What am I missing? Didn't your aces win the pot? Was it a very small main pot and large side pot?

StarkNaked 11-14-2007 08:20 PM

When someone says, "I have two PAIRS"

DAMNIT ITS TWO PAIR NOT TWO PAIRS YOU MOUTH-BREATHING PIECE OF asldjglsakgjlkasjglkasgjlksgjlsadkjlsadgjlagk!!!!! !!!!!!

GreedIsGood 11-14-2007 08:46 PM

"Oh! I have a straight!"

Yea, like they thought they were calling with a jack high...

swope 11-14-2007 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"ship it"

[/ QUOTE ]

worst ever.

IHeartEmoKids 11-14-2007 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I raise" when first into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

obv a 2p2er

"You have three choices each time you act during a poker hand: fold, call, or raise. Betting is just raising when the current bet is zero. Likewise, checking is just calling when the current bet is zero." - SSHE

jok3rzwild 11-14-2007 10:15 PM

This has happend to me 2x.

Being asked "hey do you have cards?" or "are you in the hand"

And the worst, "how much do you have left" Its like dude, just bet any amount. (usually when asked the player has a big hand)

Or when Player A take a while to make a decision, then it comes to Player B, and he jst has to waste as equal time to fold (obviously) like the 5minutes Player A took wasn't enough!

WRR1986 11-14-2007 10:15 PM

"Can you wash the decks, I've gotten these exact same cards twice in a row"
(in a room with autoshufflers, where the hands were dealt with DIFFERENT DECKS)

Leibniz 11-14-2007 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

DAMNIT ITS TWO PAIR NOT TWO PAIRS YOU MOUTH-BREATHING PIECE OF asldjglsakgjlkasjglkasgjlksgjlsadkjlsadgjlagk!!!!! !!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to tell you, but you are the mouth breather. "Two pairs" is grammatically correct. If you have one pair (that's singular because there is only one). If you have more than one pair then it's plural, yielding "two pairs." Although, it seems that using the word pair in the plural sense is gaining acceptance, so I'd have to say that both are acceptable, but "two pairs" is more consistent with english grammar.

Dictionary.com Source

EWillers 11-14-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DAMNIT ITS TWO PAIR

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit it's "it's" when used as a contraction and "its" when used as a possessive. I only bring it up due to the irony of poor grammar in a post relating to grammar/diction.

[ QUOTE ]
"Two pairs" is grammatically correct. If you have one pair (that's singular because there is only one).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the thinking behind the poker usage of "two pair" lay in the idea that at a showdown every player has exatctly one "category" of hand. "Two pair" is a category just like "straight" or "one pair".

Personally I use "two pairs", but can definitely see either as being acceptable.

DeadMoneyWalking 11-14-2007 11:08 PM

What would be the ruling on that hand if he had_______?

This is Foxwoods code for: the next hand is going to take ten minutes.

DrVanNostrin 11-14-2007 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being asked "hey do you have cards?" or "are you in the hand"

And the worst, "how much do you have left" Its like dude, just bet any amount. (usually when asked the player has a big hand)

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get what's wrong with either of these.

DRD66 11-14-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Two pair" is a category just like "straight" or "one pair".

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. When you have a flush, you don't say "I have 5 suited cards". So you have a "two pair" hand made up of two pairs. I'll be in Vegas tomorrow, and I'm making it a point to use "two pairs" as often as (correctly) possible. Maybe it'll help tilt the nits.

TacitMike 11-15-2007 12:50 AM

Both "pair" and "pairs" are correct pluralizations of the word "pair."

AlienBoy 11-15-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt

AB

bav 11-15-2007 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And I suppose you put on your pant in the morning?

fatshark 11-15-2007 04:47 AM

Anyone who speaks about a hand in progress while not involved deserves the KNITN routine.
Think of the WPF where 2 pro's folded with a broadway board that was rainbowed! Someone should have said don't fold, you have the nuts!

Bluegrass Poker 11-15-2007 10:46 AM

"This is the police, we have a warrant, put your hands on the table.":(

Obviously for underground rooms. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]