Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***Official Pac-10 Basketball Thread*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544770)

viciouspenguin 11-25-2007 09:33 PM

Re: ***Official Pac-10 Basketball Thread***

pac10 is going to be shamed tonight. arizona and sc will both lose badly.

KUJustin 11-25-2007 10:22 PM

Worst part of moving out of my old place is I don't get Fox Sports West Coast or whatever any more. I used to love watching Pac10 bball late at night. Also, Go Ducks!

jalapenoguy 11-25-2007 10:59 PM

zona ku on espn right now. tied up minute and ahalf left

zona up 2

jalapenoguy 11-25-2007 11:05 PM

OMG crazy shot!!

tie game zona guy laucnes a 60 footer that hits the backboard then rolls around the rim before falling off.

KUJustin 11-25-2007 11:37 PM

Jeeze, guess I should've gone to this one. Wasn't really in a bball mood.

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG crazy shot!!

tie game zona guy laucnes a 60 footer that hits the backboard then rolls around the rim before falling off.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Rush -- who plays for Kansas, not Arizona.

Game effort on the part of the Wildcats tonight. They need more out of McClellan, for sure. Budinger can't handle all the scoring himself.

Bayless' seven turnovers cancel out a bunch of his 19 points, and I didn't think Wise's decision-making and ballhandling was any better.

This is the Pac-10 thread, but if I was KU, I wouldn't be very satisfied with this win. Arizona isn't really in their class and committed 25 turnovers, and they still needed overtime to win at home.

-McGee

Bump_Bailey 11-26-2007 12:55 AM

USC SIU game has been very good so far.

CardSharpCook 11-26-2007 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Arizona isn't really in their class

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Arizona is the better team, no? I know, I know, Kansas is ranked #4, but come on, Arizona is the better team.

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Arizona is the better team, no? I know, I know, Kansas is ranked #4, but come on, Arizona is the better team.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they aren't, at least not right now. Budinger is better than anyone Kansas has, but Bayless and Wise are turning it over an awful lot and McClellan's only been in double figures once against four D1 opponents.

I don't think Kansas deserves it's number four ranking, but I'd rather cast my lot with Rush and Chalmers and Arthur and Collins and Robinson and Jackson and Kaun.

Maybe "not in their class" made it sound too harsh, because I do think Arizona is a bit underrated right now and KU a bit overrated. But while the pieces might be there for Arizona, they have a lot of sorting out to do.

Real impressive performance from USC tonight. 180 degree turnaround from the first two games in that Anaheim tournament. You don't see SIU get knocked on their ass like that very often.

-McGee

Dids 11-26-2007 11:57 AM

Having just re-read this thread, I am offering to fight CSC in the gravel pit at 3:00 after school to defend the honor of John Brockman, who rules enough that he's made this WSU fan watch the Huskies.

Dentmon is a [censored] idiot who hurts his team and Applebye is a useless chucker, but Brockman is a beast. He's just got all the wrong players around him.

KUJustin 11-26-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a reason KU was favored by 14. Remember all we really lost from last year's Elite 8 team is Julian Wright. I'm a perennial KU bball pessimist but #4 seems pretty reasonable to me. Arizona is a great team as well, but Kansas is definitely better.

capone0 11-26-2007 12:13 PM

Is Budinger really that good? Maybe as a draft prospect but I've never really been impressed with him on the floor.

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 12:56 PM

Brockman's a stud. A real workhorse with more offensive game than I thought. He's got a real J, too, although his range isn't much beyond 15 feet.

Demtmon is a terrible point guard, but he is a good scorer whose decision-making hurts the team a lot less when he's the 2. The continued development of Overton is key for Washington in this regard; the more Demtmon plays off the ball, the better.

-McGee

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Budinger really that good? Maybe as a draft prospect but I've never really been impressed with him on the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what's not to like about him. Sick athlete, good range, plays smart (last night's confusion in the endgame -- a result of poor communication from the coach -- notwithstanding). Maybe you've just caught him in his bad moments?

-McGee

Dids 11-26-2007 02:38 PM

I'm not that impressed with Budinger at all. Strikes me as a decent enough college player, but no hope in the pros.

Demtmon is [censored] retarded. I honestly think that's the most appropriate way to describe things. He makes painfully bad decisions at every turn. Romar doesn't help by asking his team to play at a pace that doesn't really match their skill set. I like what little I've seen of Overton.

Semtex 11-26-2007 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pac10 is going to be shamed tonight. arizona and sc will both lose badly.

[/ QUOTE ]
great call.

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not that impressed with Budinger at all. Strikes me as a decent enough college player, but no hope in the pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about his game do you think won't translate well?

Dids 11-26-2007 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about his game do you think won't translate well?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not that fast, I haven't seen a ton of ability to get his shot off on his own, and (this is just from personal observation) he's not accurate enough at this level to to make me think he'll translate well as a pro.

His biggest plus right now is that he's tall and can get his jumper off over people because he can jump. He won't have that same edge at the next level.

Also he has really bad hair.

Semtex 11-26-2007 03:42 PM

I gotta say USC looked pretty darn good last night. I was squarely in the "USC was preseason overrated" camp but I'm thinking I just underestimated how much Hackett meant to the lineup. Interesting decision to bring Taj and Mayo off the bench, but after they came in USC outscored SIU by more than 2-1. I am still getting the feel for this team. There are so many freshman and sophomores on the roster. Like this kid Davon Jefferson. I'd never even heard of him but he put up a USC high 20 points last night. I also don't understand people that find Mayo to be unimpressive. Maybe he's not living up to the hype but I've only watched 3 USC games so far and he's scored 20+ in 2 of them, and last night he seemed very comfortable putting in a modest 13 because the team was rolling and the scoring was spread out pretty evenly over 4-5 guys.

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 03:47 PM

My problem with Mayo was his lack of intensity. Yeah, so a guy with his talent can put up 20 against San Diego and Miami (OH) in his sleep; that doesn't mean he should actually sleepwalk through the game.

Last night was a different story. Much better, even if his production was down.

-McGee

Semtex 11-26-2007 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
He might be one of those guys who's only going to bring it in high profile games, but does it really reflect badly on him that in other games he sleepwalks through but still puts up 20-30/5-10/5-10?

USC has Kansas at Galen on Sunday then flies to Memphis the next Tuesday. Brutal couple of games. If USC can play both teams close and win one of them I think they should be considered a top ten team.

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He might be one of those guys who's only going to bring it in high profile games, but does it really reflect badly on him that in other games he sleepwalks through but still puts up 20-30/5-10/5-10?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it does. Guys who turn their effort on and off like that are more likely than most to not get going when they need to. It also can be harmful to a team's chemistry. I wasn't criticizing his talent.

-McGee

CardSharpCook 11-26-2007 05:59 PM

2 loss teams that include a loss to Mercer should not be considered top ten teams.

CardSharpCook 11-26-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having just re-read this thread, I am offering to fight CSC in the gravel pit at 3:00 after school to defend the honor of John Brockman, who rules enough that he's made this WSU fan watch the Huskies.

Dentmon is a [censored] idiot who hurts his team and Applebye is a useless chucker, but Brockman is a beast. He's just got all the wrong players around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful, you keep losing weight I'll have you outpounded. Combined with my catlike quickness, you don't stand a chance. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

MSUcougar 11-26-2007 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem with Mayo was his lack of intensity. Yeah, so a guy with his talent can put up 20 against San Diego and Miami (OH) in his sleep; that doesn't mean he should actually sleepwalk through the game.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
I had this same impression of Kevin Durant when I saw him in the NCAA tourney last year in Spokane. Really lethargic without the ball, uninspired on defense, etc... somehow he managed to still put up 25+ pts in both games...

Basically I think people set their expectations of the super-hyped athletes too high. I know I did... I was unimpressed with Durant, and he's clearly an elite talent.

MSUcougar 11-26-2007 09:58 PM

In other news, WSU up to #6 in both polls, the highest ranking in school history! Previous best was 9th...

I'd like to open discussion on the Pac-10/Big-12 Challenge... there are some very interesting games this week:

Thurs., Nov. 29, 2007
Oregon at Kansas State
Oklahoma at USC

Fri., Nov. 30, 2007
Washington State at Baylor
Iowa State at Oregon State

Sat., Dec. 1, 2007
Washington at Oklahoma State
Missouri at California

Sun., Dec. 2, 2007
Arizona State at Nebraska
Stanford at Colorado
Texas at UCLA
Texas A&M at Arizona

Outside the 10-game series window:
Arizona at Kansas (Sun., Nov. 25)
Stanford vs. Texas Tech (Sat., Dec. 22)

The one I'm most interested in is the WSU-Baylor game. Baylor is a surprising 5-0 and will be the first real test for the cougs...

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 10:06 PM

I watched a ton of Durant last year and didn't notice that charateristic at all.

-McGee

Aces McGee 11-26-2007 10:31 PM

Will Collison be back in time for the Texas game? Collison-Augustin is an awesome PG matchup.

Some real good games in this Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series (great name). Texas-UCLA is the highlight, but there will be a ton of talent on the floor for Oregon-K State, Oklahoma-USC, and A&M-Arizona, and Mizzou-Cal and Washington St.-Baylor are interesting matchups.

Is there a TV schedule anywhere for these?

-McGee

Semtex 11-27-2007 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a TV schedule anywhere for these?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
From the Pac 10 website, with Pacific times:

Thursday Nov. 29
Oregon @ Kansas St - ESPN2 6PM
Oklahoma @ USC - FSN 8PM

Friday Nov. 30
Washington St @ Baylor - ESPNU 6PM
Iowa State @ Oregon St - FSN 8PM

Saturday Dec. 1
Washington @ Oklahoma St - ESPN 2:30PM
Missou @ Cal - FSN 8PM

Sunday Dec. 2
Arizona St @ Nebraska - ESPNU 11AM
Stanford @ Colorado - ESPNU 1PM
Texas A&M @ Arizona - FSN 3PM
Texas @ UCLA - FSN 5PM

Aces McGee 11-27-2007 02:06 AM

Thanks, Semtex. I hate that I don't get ESPNU.

-McGee

Semtex 11-27-2007 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah seriously that wash st baylor looks like it could be good.

MSUcougar 11-27-2007 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah seriously that wash st baylor looks like it could be good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I called Comcast and it's not possible to get ESPNU at all, I can't even get the game on pay-per-view. I'm really upset about it.

The WSU-Gonzaga game on Dec 5 is also exclusively on ESPNU. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

CardSharpCook 11-27-2007 06:32 AM

I'm proud to say that I payed the $100 for the cbb hookup. All games ESPN.

Charlyfalco 11-27-2007 08:05 AM

Its interesting about the WSU - Zags game. A couple years back in Pullman half of the bleachers was open. Now you couldn't find a seat no matter where they played it. WSU has come a long way in a real short time.

Semtex 11-29-2007 01:06 AM

jeez ucla looks good. up 20 on gw with 14 to go.

Bungler 11-29-2007 02:08 AM

Gotta chime in as an Arizona fan. We put up a good effort on Sunday against Kansas in a game we ultimately should have won. I had a feeling once it went to OT we were toast. Tonight against CS Fullerton we put them away early and never looked back, which is a relief to many a Wildcat fan considering our struggles with inferior teams in recent years.

As far as the rest of the Pac-10, it seems like everyone will be beating each other up once the conference schedule starts.

Till then good luck Pac-10 and go Wildcats!

Moozh 11-29-2007 02:18 AM

Oregon vs K-State should be a really great game to watch. I'm especially interested to see how Leunen matches up with Beasley. Plus, any game where you get to watch Tajuan Porter is fun.

CardSharpCook 11-29-2007 04:50 AM

pac10 4-0 tonight. Let's hope they go 1-1 tomorrow. GO SOONERS!

CardSharpCook 11-29-2007 04:54 AM

THe announcer during the UCLA game was talking about Cal possibly being undervalued by pundits so far this year. Of course, he may just be responding to their current perfect record. I was watching a bunch of cbb tonight, and watched UCLA to end the night. They do desreve the #1 ranking. Look forward to seeing them get tested... once the pac10 reg season starts. I think we're going to crushinate the longhorns.

2p2Reader 11-29-2007 04:25 PM

Was at the UCLA game last night. We look real good. (Aboya had on some awesome goggles!) Can't wait to the Texas game this weekend!