Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   assassin's Creed (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544464)

4 High 11-13-2007 10:44 PM

Re: assassin\'s Creed

WTF i was going to pass on this as i dont like POP but i loved Crackdown so now i am confused.

jah7_fsu1 11-13-2007 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God I can't believe this is getting lame reviews. I thought this was surefire hotness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a little worried when EGM previewed it a while back and said it was looking not so good. I hoped they would get things figured out before the release...I wish they could have pushed it back a bit and fixed the kinks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Taso 11-14-2007 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone here even played it yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, anyone play it on an hdTV? Whats the word on the graphics?

Grinding2Ecstasy 11-14-2007 03:49 AM

wtf got myself hyped up for this..reserved and paid for a copy at Gamestop, now I wanna back out, hope they let me!

kabouter 11-14-2007 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who doesn't have their 360 attached to a hdtv? Anyways the graphics are suberb.

scotchnrocks 11-14-2007 12:01 PM

Gamespot gives it a 9.0, and I usually agree with their reviews. Has anyone played this who can give some objective input?

fiskebent 11-14-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who doesn't have their 360 attached to a hdtv? Anyways the graphics are suberb.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm too cheap to get a HDTV as long as my SDTV still works OK. I wish it would break.

AceLuby 11-14-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gamespot gives it a 9.0, and I usually agree with their reviews. Has anyone played this who can give some objective input?

[/ QUOTE ]

And game informer gave it a 9.5, gametrailers gave it a 9.1. From what I've read of user reviews those who like the Prince of Persia series will like this game. Gonna try to pick it up tonight (probably along w/ COD4). I'll give my review after I play it.

AceLuby 11-14-2007 03:43 PM

Ok, Best Buy was the only place that had it in stock, so I picked it up. I'll give impressions on it tomorrow morning. Few hours of this, then COD4.

Dire 11-14-2007 03:47 PM

FWIW, impressions beyond the first few hours might be more meaningful. Many of the reviews have said that the game seems incredible when you first start playing - until the repetition and lack of challenge/enemies/interest becomes apparent.

AceLuby 11-14-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, impressions beyond the first few hours might be more meaningful. Many of the reviews have said that the game seems incredible when you first start playing - until the repetition and lack of challenge/enemies/interest becomes apparent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe playing in stages will help this. I have fairly high expectations for this, so you'll know if I get let down in any way.

ThaHero 11-14-2007 07:19 PM

Please say it's good....

Grinding2Ecstasy 11-14-2007 11:41 PM

ive wondered if gamespot gave them a 9 because they had an assassin's creed skin on the site for weeks, and hyped the hell out of it forever. Obv they got a lot of money from them and it might not be PC for them to give out a 7 middling rating. The review someone posted was enough to get me to back out for now.

Dire 11-15-2007 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive wondered if gamespot gave them a 9 because they had an assassin's creed skin on the site for weeks, and hyped the hell out of it forever. Obv they got a lot of money from them and it might not be PC for them to give out a 7 middling rating. The review someone posted was enough to get me to back out for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the gamespot review was definitely fudged. He makes the game seem beyond flawless. But now he's already backpedaling and covering himself in his most recent blog on the site:

[ QUOTE ]

I believe in Assassin's Creed. I had only seen bits and pieces of it prior to release, and I hadn't really been anticipating it in light of the other games out this month. I was surprised, and like any game, it has its flaws--but I think you miss the forest for the trees by dwelling on them. But as with any product you buy, know what you can, and how it will fit with your tastes. We think Assassin's Creed is a must-play game, and all I can do is hope that you are as immensely entertained as I was.

As it is, a lot of people take reviews very seriously. Obviously, so do I, or I wouldn't do this for a living. We all have strong feelings about the games we love, and the games we hate, and the games that disappoint us. Editorial journalists are in a very unique position, because people come to us to find out whether they should play a game, or see a movie, or read a book. I can't pretend to know you, or dictate taste to you. We've all loved games that got critically pounded, and hated games that got great reviews. I could talk for hours about Impossible Creatures, a game I adored, and no one else seemed to care about, or about games that everyone loves and I never was able to get into. But know when you read any review, on GS or elsewhere, that we believe in it and trust in it. We bring knowledge and experience and a sincere joy and love of games, and of writing about them

[/ QUOTE ]

"It may suck, but I really did think it was the best game evar, honest!! Leave me alone! It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!!"

Dire 11-15-2007 12:18 AM

If nothing else, him saying he hadn't been anticipating it in light of other games coming out this month just smells of utter bull [censored] trying to reaffirm his objectiveness.

Shaqizzle 11-15-2007 07:14 AM

Just assassinated my 4th guy, I would say it's a bit repetitive, but I think the gameplay, multiple side quest and awesome storyline make up for it as well, they say the game is part of a trilogy which makes it feel epic.

And it looks fantastic on my 62'' HDTV.

scotchnrocks 11-15-2007 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but they did the same heavy advertising with Kane & Lynch and gave it a 6.0.

AceLuby 11-15-2007 12:42 PM

The Good:

Great graphics
Control is suprisingly smooth once you get used to it (about 1/2 hour I'd say)
Views are really good, can climb to almost anywhere and get great views of the cities
Lots of sidequests
Eagle sight is pretty cool
I like the way the story is told

The bad:

A little glitchy in parts
Repetitive, but really, what game isn't...
Fighting system leaves something to be desired
Lots of story in the beginning, too much
Hiding seems weird

The ugly:

Some glitches even in the cutscenes, that's unacceptable
Targets aren't varied enough

All in all I like the game, definitely worth a rental for most people. For those that liked Prince of Persia I think you'll like this game as well. I'm glad I bought it personally, but I've been jonesin really bad for a new 3rd person action game for a while. I hope they improve this a lot for the sequel.

jalapenoguy 11-15-2007 02:17 PM

did you get ps3 or 360?

impressions sound like the ps3 version has lots more performance problems.

Bostaevski 11-15-2007 02:55 PM

I agree with Ace on most of the points:

Stuff I Like:
The "parkour" type free movement is really impressive. You can pretty much climb around on anything and your character looks very realistic while doing so.

The graphics are amazing

The fighting system is fairly basic (you pretty much just hold down the block button until you have an opening to hit the attack button). That being said, the fights LOOK awesome - so far I have been enjoying the fighting.

It's cool how when you help citizens you are rewarded with the groups of vigilantes, etc.

Some people have complained about the "plot twist" in the very beginning and how unnecessary it was but I actually think it's pretty original. Along those lines, how you reload a saved game is pretty cool... it's not just the old "start -> load" but rather implemented in a seamless and believable way. For lack of better term it's like a "reincarnation" except it's not the stupid clunky way that it was done in Bioshock.

Stuff I don't like:
Hiding from guards... you first have to break line of site and then literally hide in one of the specific hiding places scattered around the city. These are roof gardens, haystacks, and park benches. It is awkward that even though they can't see me they will continue to look for me until I jump into a pile of hay. I don't like that all of the roof gardens are exactly the same.

Gathering Intel - I've only done the first assassination but it seems you only gather intel by pickpocketing, thuggery, or eavesdropping. What I could not figure out is how Altair knows that THOSE guys, for instance, are the ones he should eavesdrop on among all the thousands of other people in the city. You climb to the top of some tower, do a little recon and suddenly a new objective appears.

It's a little hard to swallow how under every one of the towers is a conveniently placed haystack that you can swan dive into.

All in all it's not quite as good as I had hoped it would be but it's also not as bad as I had feared.

Grinding2Ecstasy 11-15-2007 03:48 PM

Hrm on metacritic about 7 of the 10 review blurbs have the word 'repetetive' or 'disappointing' in it, I think I'll def just give it a rental and hope the sequel is what I was hoping for.

gharp 11-15-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You know that some of these glitches are intentional, right? When there's a glitch in the matrix (sorry, Animus) it means you can press a button and view the cutscene from a different angle.

Overall I'm liking this game a lot so far. Like others have said, it's very Prince-of-Persiaish, but I don't see that as a bad thing. And I'm not very far along yet so it doesn't really seem repetitive to me yet.

AceLuby 11-15-2007 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You know that some of these glitches are intentional, right? When there's a glitch in the matrix (sorry, Animus) it means you can press a button and view the cutscene from a different angle.

Overall I'm liking this game a lot so far. Like others have said, it's very Prince-of-Persiaish, but I don't see that as a bad thing. And I'm not very far along yet so it doesn't really seem repetitive to me yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about the glitches that are meant to be there. There was a point during one of the first cutscenes where it looked extremely blocky, which was just weird. I didn't notice it again, and it was probably just me looking for stuff. All in all I like this game though. I bought it w/ COD4 and actually like this game more.

AceLuby 11-15-2007 05:45 PM

Cool little article here regarding the low scores it was receiving:

Reviewers are doing it wrong...

PITTM 11-15-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He actually sounds like he really really wanted to like it. That kinda made him less credible imo.

2/325Falcon 11-15-2007 08:21 PM

The Penny Arcade guys are merciless when they think a game sucks. I tend to trust them on this.

vulturesrow 11-15-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Penny Arcade guys are merciless when they think a game sucks. I tend to trust them on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I take their opinions on games pretty much as gospel.

dtemp 11-16-2007 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about the glitches that are meant to be there. There was a point during one of the first cutscenes where it looked extremely blocky, which was just weird. I didn't notice it again, and it was probably just me looking for stuff. All in all I like this game though. I bought it w/ COD4 and actually like this game more.

[/ QUOTE ]

The game's crashed on me twice already (thank god for frequent autosave). I can't remember the last time a 360 game crashed on me.

But I having a blast anyways. The AI as stupid, as it is, still manages to crack me up. My favorite was when, I stealth killed an officer with 20 soldiers staring right at me and then just walked away.

The good thing about all the weak points in the game is that they are consistent. Nothing frustrates me more than game that is inconsistent where I end up dying a bunch of cheap deaths.

AceLuby 11-16-2007 10:52 AM

So, I've probably put about 12 hours into this game and I'm really addicted. I haven't had it crash on me and the slowups haven't been frequent, even w/ lots of guys around me. I haven't seen the really dumb AI yet. I also have heard complaints about one at a time fighting, but when I get into huge brawls I'm attacked from all sides. I think some of these critics were a little to harsh. I really like this game and would recommend it to anyone, at least for a rental.

Dids 11-16-2007 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This article is SOOO retarded. I saw a link to it yesterday on joystiq and it left me life titled for 20 minutes. Just a bizzare fanboyish defense of the game (that reminds me a lot of some of AceLuby's posts in other threads)

AceLuby 11-16-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This article is SOOO retarded. I saw a link to it yesterday on joystiq and it left me life titled for 20 minutes. Just a bizzare fanboyish defense of the game (that reminds me a lot of some of AceLuby's posts in other threads)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, well have you played it? I've got two friends that also bought it (one for the PS3 and one for the 360) and both of them think it's the best next gen game they've played. Don't you think rushing to finish a game could affect the way it's perceived by the player?

Jack of Arcades 11-16-2007 01:12 PM

Game reviews are retarded. For something like a movie, or even albums it works because they're using the product under mostly the same conditions as the end user. Games? You have to devote at least 15 hours for most of them, but with deadlines and stuff it can be quite hard.

Dids 11-16-2007 01:28 PM

Ace,

The review simply reads as

"MY OPINION IS RIGHT, AND IF YOU DISAGREE IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG AND HAVE INCORRECT EXPECTATIONS"

The problem is that most of the dissenting reviews approach the game from the far less fanboyish perspective. Even the 7/10s are "it looks and plays great, but it's very repetative" He attempts to argue that their perception is incorrect because of how and when they're playing the game.

I haven't played the game, I probably won't, because there's nothing that makes me feel like I've wasted my money more than stupid repitition. All I really need to know is that there's 9 missions and they all follow the same path and it doesn't matter to me how good the game looks.

The reason I mentioned you is because your rebuttal wrt Oblivion was basically the same. "You're playing it wrong".

A well designed game should be fun for people no matter how they choose to play it. Suggesting otherwise is just making a fanboyish excuse.

AceLuby 11-16-2007 02:47 PM

You sure have a lot to say about a game you haven't even played yet. Don't mixed reviews intrigue you? I mean there are 20 different shooters going around right now, and they all are 'better' than AC. Isn't running and gunning repetitive. Point, shoot, run, point, shoot, run.

Whatever, I can't wait to get home from work to play this. Your loss if you don't ever want to pick it up. Easily worth a $5 rental.

Dire 11-16-2007 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easily worth a $5 rental.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't rented games in a while have you?

AceLuby 11-16-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Easily worth a $5 rental.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't rented games in a while have you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I buy, what is a rental these days? Last movie I rented was $5-6 so I figured it was the same for a game. I'm guessing that's a bad assumption.

Dudd 11-16-2007 03:04 PM

Free 15 day gamefly trial ftw!

Dids 11-16-2007 03:08 PM

I don't play FPS like ever, because yes, it's repetative.

The thing about AC is that like I mentioned, even the good reviews highly what I would consider to be the most negative aspect of the game. Obviously nobody is taking one review at face value, but when it's all of them, I listen.

_Gabe_ 11-16-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The thing about AC is that like I mentioned, even the good reviews highly what I would consider to be the most negative aspect of the game. Obviously nobody is taking one review at face value, but when it's all of them, I listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your pm's.

Dids 11-16-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your pm's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. Be thankful I'm not banning this account.