Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Rivalry (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540768)

MuresanForMVP 11-08-2007 01:56 AM

Re: The Rivalry

Listen, I'm not going to try to prove to you that the OSU-UM game isn't the biggest rivalry 1). because that's impossible to "prove" 2). I wouldn't even know what metric to use and 3). it's obvious you have your head so firmly lodged up your ass my arguments wouldn't make a difference either way.

Damaniac seemed to claim that all of "us Boston fans" along with NY fans cannot STAND to see a thread go by without having it turn into a NY/Bos discussion. I'm sure that when i'm looking at the main page I think to myself "hmmm how many of these threads can I turn into a NY/Boston discussion?"...not at all. Have you ever thought that maybe there are so many NY/Boston threads in a sporting events forum because 1). The teams have two of the biggest followings in the country 2). The Red Sox just won the World Series 3). The Yankees are always in the news for free-agent issues, and A-Rod may walk away from NY 4). The Patriots were involved in a cheating "scandal" but are still in position to play for an undefeated season, and 5).The Celtics have some talent and can make a run at an NBA championship? I mean, maybe it's because of those HUGE stories that people talk about NY or Boston a lot. The irony is all that you had to do was let those couple (benign) comments pass by and that would have been that, but instead we have idiots like you bitching and moaning about us Boston and NY fans, which does nothing but turn the thread into a complete clusterfuck.

I never said college sports sucked, I said college football rivalries are always overhyped (interestingly enough by the media which you claim has told me what to like). I love College basketball in particular, but I find it hard to get excited for any college football for whatever reason, whether it's the BCS, or whatever. That's just my opinion, and that's how I represented it.

I'm what's wrong with fandom, and I'm a bandwagoner? Man, you suck. Perhaps it's because of douches like you insisting that despite what everyone else in the country thinks UM vs. OSU is the SINGLE GREATEST SPORTING EVENT IN HISTORY is why I've come to dislike the teams and "The Rivalry". For the record, I wasn't even the one who brought up NY or Boston.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't care about anything except the playoffs and think every season you don't win a championship is a failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that's what's referred to as being a "winner". Not quite to that degree, but are you seriously trying to bag on me for expecting a team who has the pieces to win a championship to at least put together some sort of run in the playoffs? Also, LOL at you criticizing a long time Red Sox fan for expecting to win a championship every year....just so stupid.

btw, in regards to "only caring about the playoffs" what the hell does that even mean? Maybe you're such an awesome fan that playoffs don't even matter to you, maybe in your world we're all winners, but last I checked the point of fielding a competitive sports team is to win a championship, wouldn't you agree? I don't know, maybe it's because there ARE NO PLAYOFFS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL. I understand wanting to beat your rival, but it almost seems like you'd rather beat UM or OSU in-season and lose in the National Champ. game than lose to your rival but win the title. That's what you're making it sound like, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

jgunnip 11-08-2007 02:11 AM

LOL this whole debate about greatest rivalry is silly. It similar to the who's the biggest fan debate. In the end its all relative. What it means to be a fan to me isn't the same as it is to you or the next person. We all have our own opinions and we value different aspects of fandom and rivalries and tradition differently.

So lets just end the hijack. Start a new thread or something.

MuresanForMVP 11-08-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL this whole debate about greatest rivalry is silly. It similar to the who's the biggest fan debate. In the end its all relative. What it means to be a fan to me isn't the same as it is to you or the next person. We all have our own opinions and we value different aspects of fandom and rivalries and tradition differently.

So lets just end the hijack. Start a new thread or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's completely fine with me. But I want the record to show that I in no way attempted to say what rivalry was the best, and actually said that debating that would be pointless. I just took offense to Fly calling me a bandwagoner, and claiming that apparently I'm what's wrong with sports today lol

jgunnip 11-08-2007 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand wanting to beat your rival, but it almost seems like you'd rather beat UM or OSU in-season and lose in the National Champ. game than lose to your rival but win the title. That's what you're making it sound like, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that the game always takes place on the third Saturday in November and has been the final regular season game for both teams since the 1930's, if either team wants a shot to win the national championship they must win the game. If the game sometimes took place in late September or something or early October it would be different. There would be games after which either team could recoup, win out and be a one-loss team playing for the championship. But with the timing of the game, that late in the season, the last game for both teams, you just can't expect to have a shot to win the national championship if you lose this game. Yes a National Championship is the ultimate goal for either team, but its just not possible unless you win that last game.

FlyWf 11-08-2007 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL at you criticizing a long time Red Sox fan for expecting to win a championship every year

[/ QUOTE ]

While under most definitions I would grant that 3 years is a long time, on the other hand, shut the [censored] up.

People used to care about more than just winning the championship, it was possible for fans to contemplate the concept of a successful season that ended somewhere besides the championship podium even in professional sports. But thanks to "winners" such as yourself, that mindset has evaporated.

And you're goddamn right I'd rather beat Michigan and not win a championship over the alternative. That shouldn't sound so crazy to you, it's kind of the definition of a rivalry.

MuresanForMVP 11-08-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LOL at you criticizing a long time Red Sox fan for expecting to win a championship every year

[/ QUOTE ]

While under most definitions I would grant that 3 years is a long time, on the other hand, shut the [censored] up.

People used to care about more than just winning the championship, it was possible for fans to contemplate the concept of a successful season that ended somewhere besides the championship podium even in professional sports. But thanks to "winners" such as yourself, that mindset has evaporated.

And you're goddamn right I'd rather beat Michigan and not win a championship over the alternative. That shouldn't sound so crazy to you, it's kind of the definition of a rivalry.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 years? I've been a Red Sox fan much longer than that slim. You sound like someone who has made a habit of losing, are you a loser Fly?

[ QUOTE ]
it's kind of the definition of a rivalry

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the definition of idiocy. How is it not sweeter to imagine your bitter rival sitting at home watching your team hoist the National Championship trophy, grinning like the Cheshire Cat? That is the definition of losing the battle, but winning the war.

[ QUOTE ]
People used to care about more than just winning the championship

[/ QUOTE ] Yes...in t-ball

There can be successful seasons without winning the championship, of course, but you coming on here crying about how winning the 'ship isn't what it's all about is just laughable. Professional athletes play to win, GMs and managers manage to win. Are you honestly contending that a mindset where people don't "go for the Gold" so to speak is preferable? That is just pathetic.

I'm very interested to see the opinions of other UM or OSU fans.

ADLinden 11-08-2007 02:46 AM

as a student at OSU, this rivalry really is all its cracked up to be

jgunnip 11-08-2007 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is it not sweeter to imagine your bitter rival sitting at home watching your team hoist the National Championship trophy, grinning like the Cheshire Cat? That is the definition of losing the battle, but winning the war.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this would be winning the battle but losing the war.

Also like I said before. That poll question just isn't applicable.

MuresanForMVP 11-08-2007 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just a thought, but could it be because you're a student at OSU that the rivalry is all it's cracked up to be? I'm from UMD, and I've been to games (and victories) against Duke (in basketball). Of course I'm gonna say "this rivalry's all it's cracked up to be" but that's definitely a biased opinion. But I would take getting swept by Duke on the season if it meant winning a national title 100 times out of 100. And though it doesn't quite have the history of UNC-Duke, UMD-Duke has definitely been the best college basketball rivalry of recent years.

Jgunnip-how can you honestly say that losing to a team during the season but winning the title is winning the battle but losing the war? that is completely irrational. The war is to win the championship. Maybe it's the fact that they play only once instead of a number of series like NY and Bos, but still I just dont understand how you can honestly tell me you'd rather win a game during the reg. season over winning it all.

shemp 11-08-2007 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you honestly contending that a mindset where people don't "go for the Gold" so to speak is preferable? That is just pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more a case of not applying that framework. One doesn't get to trade beating MSU with OSU-- although, note that some UMer said that losing to MSU was more painful. Yet one can say that they are driven to distraction the entire week of UM/OSU and manage to function prior to a NC game.

There's really not much fruit in strapping a particular logical framework on this and beating someone up.

Iplayboard 11-08-2007 03:16 AM

Thank you TomCollins and other tOSU-UM fans for describing how important the rivalry is.

American professional sports "rivalries" are a [censored] joke. Green Bay fans might talk about how much they hate the Bears, but to the players and coaches I'd guess it's just another game. One has to only look at the amount of effort the Bears put into their end of season encounter last year to realize this.

It makes perfect sense too. Many colleges hire coaches who played at or were assistants at the same school. In addition college coaches are much longer tenured. Most of the players are in-state or from close by and have been involved in the rivalry as a spectator since a very young age. Contrast this with the NFL where players and coaches are frequently changing teams. You can't expect a 9 year vet on his 4th team to muster much hatred towards his latest rival.

Professional sports rivalries are fleeting. Not too many people get excited these days when the Celtics and Lakers take the court or when the 49ers and Cowboys clash on the gridiron. Ten years from now it is likely that the Colts will just be another opponent for the Pats.

Professional sports in other countries cannot be compared to the American model. First of all there is no top-level collegiate competition. Secondly, countries like England, Italy or Spain are so much smaller than the United States that teams often share the same city and many times the same stadium.

Yes there are a few good American professional sports rivalries like Yankees-Red Sox or Browns-Steelers but they still pale in comparison to the best collegiate rivalries. Yankees-Red Sox regular season encounters are so meaningful, that they determine which team will go into the postseason as the division champion and which will be labeled the Wild Card.

I can understand if you prefer Auburn-Alabama (people there are [censored] obsessed with this game) or UNC-Duke basketball. But to suggest an MLB or NFL matchup is the greatest rivalry is absurd.

Iplayboard 11-08-2007 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought The Rivalry was Army-Navy

[/ QUOTE ]

What was it like to have lived during the '40's?

Senor Cardgage 11-08-2007 08:24 AM

Yeah, as a college football fan, OSU-UM is probably the biggest overall rivalry to me.

I'm curious what people consider the biggest rivalry for their specific team- for me (a Tennessee fan), the Florida game is easily the biggest of the year. We've been losing more often than not, but it's still a great f'in game.

What about Florida fans- who do you consider your biggest rival? UT, FSU, somebody else?

damaniac 11-08-2007 10:05 AM

Muresan, obviously I wasn't implying that BosNY fans are consciously trying to hijack every non-BosNY thread. More a commentary on the speed with which a thread about a Midwestern college rivalry and TV show turned into some sort of BosNY pissing match despite a somewhat limited connection. Hyperbole, sarcasm, etc.

MuresanForMVP 11-08-2007 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Muresan, obviously I wasn't implying that BosNY fans are consciously trying to hijack every non-BosNY thread. More a commentary on the speed with which a thread about a Midwestern college rivalry and TV show turned into some sort of BosNY pissing match despite a somewhat limited connection. Hyperbole, sarcasm, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

K

TomCollins 11-08-2007 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just a thought, but could it be because you're a student at OSU that the rivalry is all it's cracked up to be? I'm from UMD, and I've been to games (and victories) against Duke (in basketball). Of course I'm gonna say "this rivalry's all it's cracked up to be" but that's definitely a biased opinion. But I would take getting swept by Duke on the season if it meant winning a national title 100 times out of 100. And though it doesn't quite have the history of UNC-Duke, UMD-Duke has definitely been the best college basketball rivalry of recent years.

Jgunnip-how can you honestly say that losing to a team during the season but winning the title is winning the battle but losing the war? that is completely irrational. The war is to win the championship. Maybe it's the fact that they play only once instead of a number of series like NY and Bos, but still I just dont understand how you can honestly tell me you'd rather win a game during the reg. season over winning it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rivalry is that important. I agree, I would rather beat Michigan than win a National Title. A loss to Michigan with a National Title is a huge * next to it.

You have to remember this whole national title business is relatively new for the Big 10 to even care about. It was all about getting to the Rose Bowl, winning the conference championship, and beating Michigan.

smk67 11-08-2007 10:31 AM

My freshman year at tOSU was great. It was 1998, the Buckeyes had been the number 1 team for half the season before losing to MSU 28-24 at home. We got UM at home, 9-1 going in with the hopes of playing for a NC (the first year of the BCS). The week of the Game was nothing but drinking, football talk, and hating on UM. Thursday night, a lot of people from my floor were drinking when we heard chants approaching. We look out the window to find thousands of students cheering and singing Michigan hate songs. So we join up and end up going all over campus gathering as many people as we could. It all leads to a small lake on campus where everyone is jumping in, its like 40 degrees out! So I'm not that kind of fan, but it was just an amazing thing to take in. People had UM stuff they were burning and tearing up. One group ripped up a jersey and used it to wipe the ass of the statue of William Oxley Thompson, a former tOSU president. This type of stuff is what the entire week was like, outside of some other more useful activities like the OSU-UM blood drive, shoe drive for homeless, and other 'good' causes.

That week was so much fun and I looked forward to it for the next three years. In fact, my junior year was tough because my dad had open-heart surgery the day before the game. I went home until he was in ICU before leaving home to go back to OSU - at his demand! That year was first chance I had to go to the Game and remains the only UM-OSU game I have been to.

Then of course there are the parties on Friday night before the game. In 1998, they busted a 60 kegger apartment complex party Friday before the Game. Literally, every other house was having keggers and everyone just went from one to the next. What makes this rivalary so big in my opinion is just how much this one game matters. I don't want to spew stats, but so often the big 10 comes down to the Game! There are no do-overs, no 3-game series like in baseball, one and only one chance! Win it and you get to brag for a year and the chance to play in a big bowl game. Lose it and you wait one year for redemption.

TomCollins 11-08-2007 10:37 AM

The interesting difference about the Auburn-Alabama game is the mix of Alabama/Auburn fans within the state. You get the entire "brother against brother" feel. My cousin is a huge Auburn fan, and a lot of his friends are Alabama fans. You really get mixed into it and interact a lot.

The Michigan-Ohio State rivalry is a lot more "foreign". You aren't around Michigan fans very often, especially in Columbus. The entire city can be biased towards Ohio State and really drive towards supporting that one team. It gives the whole us-against-them feel, where Auburn-Alabama is more brother-against-brother. Don't get me wrong, thats definitely a great rivalry, but just different in a lot of reasons.

BTW- Michigan fans- do you "root for the conference" to do well, including rooting for Ohio State fans? I've noticed a lot of lame Ohio State fans starting to root for you guys on out of conference games and it pisses me off to no end. I would rather Michigan lose every game than root for them. However, I actually tend to pull for Michigan against Notre Dame. When we were watching the Appy State game, about 3/4 of the bar was rooting against Michigan, and about 1/4 was rooting for them (all OSU fans). Lame. I hope you guys root against us too.

damaniac 11-08-2007 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW- Michigan fans- do you "root for the conference" to do well, including rooting for Ohio State fans? I've noticed a lot of lame Ohio State fans starting to root for you guys on out of conference games and it pisses me off to no end. I would rather Michigan lose every game than root for them. However, I actually tend to pull for Michigan against Notre Dame. When we were watching the Appy State game, about 3/4 of the bar was rooting against Michigan, and about 1/4 was rooting for them (all OSU fans). Lame. I hope you guys root against us too.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's weird. I want you to be 11-0 when we play to build up the significance, but I also want you to lose every individual game. Unless you're playing Notre Dame...I root for everyone over the Irish, mostly b/c of NDNation.

That conference thing is weird though. I'd bet it's a newer thing based on the Internet (and hence many more debates about whose conference is better) and the BCS/MNC mattering more since, as you pointed out, caring about national titles is very new. The 97 Michigan team's goal was the Big Ten Title and the Rose Bowl, for example. But I almost always root for everyone in the B10 in bowl games, including OSU. It feels dirty but that's what it's come to.

Riverman 11-08-2007 11:42 AM

Obviously fans will think the game they care about the most is the best rivalry. That said, I care alot about alot of teams and nothing comes close to The Game. I've been to every one since I was 6, and I will not break that streak until I die.

Also, I think it's pretty clear that Lloyd and Tressel don't like each other. But neither is the kind of guy who would ever publicly disparage the other.

ADLinden 11-08-2007 12:03 PM

I root against scUM every game they play.

Semi-OT: I won a ticket to go to the Game this year, Hope I don't get killed in Ann Arbor!

NozeCandy 11-08-2007 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The interesting difference about the Auburn-Alabama game is the mix of Alabama/Auburn fans within the state. You get the entire "brother against brother" feel. My cousin is a huge Auburn fan, and a lot of his friends are Alabama fans. You really get mixed into it and interact a lot.

The Michigan-Ohio State rivalry is a lot more "foreign". You aren't around Michigan fans very often, especially in Columbus. The entire city can be biased towards Ohio State and really drive towards supporting that one team. It gives the whole us-against-them feel, where Auburn-Alabama is more brother-against-brother. Don't get me wrong, thats definitely a great rivalry, but just different in a lot of reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's kind of tough with growing up in the BCS era. Other teams performances can affect you so much. I still don't know how I feel since I want Michigan to have a chance to have a really sweet win on their resume, but I can't bring myself to root for Ohio State. Except probably against the SEC from here on out. My annoyance with that conference's fans is almost on par with my hatred of OSU/ND now.

heater 11-08-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the hijacks demonstrate why us non-Boston/NY people hate Boston/NY people. There are only 17,000 threads devoted to Boston and NY sports in some capacity; this one isn't, but I guess they can't stand a non-NY/Boston thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea man, because a thread entitled "The Rivalry" shouldn't generate discussion as to what the best rivalry is, aside from the one suggested in the OP. Right...

IMO college football rivalries are way overhyped. Navy fans rushed the field after giving the Irish their 8th loss on the season. Sweet. Army-Navy routinely suck yet they put that trash on NBC? No thanks. UM and OSU are power college football programs, but to me that's just another regular season game, unless they meet in the NC game. I don't mind UM, but OSU fans are beyond annoying, especially considering it ISNT EVEN A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM. For some reason, I object to claiming an amateur athletic competition as being "The Rivalry".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is the dumbest thing I've read today. Congratulations.

vhawk01 11-08-2007 12:37 PM

You guys are forgetting UM-SCSU for hockey, wtf? Ugh, why don't we get something like the Beanpot for Gopher hockey, we have so much tradition and history and we dont even have any real rivalries. A bunch of teams that think we are their rivals like UMD and SCSU and maybe Wisconsin but in reality they are just conference opponents and I dont get any more worked up for any of them than any of the others. Too bad because Gopher hockey fans are some of the best fans in all of sports and a real, heated rivalry could be amazing.

Yeah thats right I just posted about hockey on SE, what of it?

heater 11-08-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's weird. I want you to be 11-0 when we play to build up the significance, but I also want you to lose every individual game. Unless you're playing Notre Dame...I root for everyone over the Irish, mostly b/c of NDNation.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a part of me that wants to see OSU be 11-0 as well. Not just for the significance of the game, but because I know it will sting that much more when Michigan stomps them. Whenever I watch OSU play someone else that all goes out the window. I can't bring myself to root for the Buckeyes, even for a single down.

aditya 11-08-2007 12:38 PM

Wait, are we actually debating what the best rivalry in sports is, or are we debating the Mich vs OSU game? Cause if we're debating the best rivalry is, Carolina vs Duke is most definetely up there.

heater 11-08-2007 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, are we actually debating what the best rivalry in sports is, or are we debating the Mich vs OSU game? Cause if we're debating the best rivalry is, Carolina vs Duke is most definetely up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, not professional sports teams. DQ'd.

MiloDanglers 11-08-2007 12:55 PM

I had a buddy who used to play football for OSU (2002-2004). He said EVERY week there was a portion of practice dedicated to Michigan. They did this for no other team. Before the season even starts, OSU football is watching Michigan game tape or practicing against a scout team mimicking Michigan personnel. It didn't matter if we were facing Penn State or Akron, OSU is prepping for Michigan. This is one of the reasons I feel Jim Tressel has an edge of Lloyd Carr. He knows this game is of the utmost importance to EVERY Ohio State fan, student, and alumni.

istewart 11-08-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
College sports is great because the majority of fans aren't terrible bandwagoneers like you and the rest of the Greater Boston area. You don't care about anything except the playoffs and think every season you don't win a championship is a failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Yankee fan and haven't been to Boston in awhile, but...

I am fairly sure that the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry was at its peak when Boston never had high hopes of winning championships ('98-'03 or somesuch), and the 19 regular season duels were of prime importance to most of their fans. The problem is that now that they've won, they have a lot of worthless extra fans.

bonds 11-08-2007 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm conflicted about this. Generally, I don't root for OSU unless they're playing some highly ranked (overrated imo) out of conference school like Texas or in a bowl game. If they're playing the SEC, I'm a big fan. And of course I'd pull for any team playing against Notre Dame. Otherwise, I'm pretty ambivalent -- call it "rooting for injuries" (metaphorically, not literally). I enjoy a good tOSU loss, but those haven't happened much the last few years, have they?

Historically, yes, I'd root hard against tOSU every game, but now I'd rather see a good rivalry game that means something in November. Plus if I hear one more time about how much better the SEC is than everyone else...

MuresanForMVP 11-08-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the hijacks demonstrate why us non-Boston/NY people hate Boston/NY people. There are only 17,000 threads devoted to Boston and NY sports in some capacity; this one isn't, but I guess they can't stand a non-NY/Boston thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea man, because a thread entitled "The Rivalry" shouldn't generate discussion as to what the best rivalry is, aside from the one suggested in the OP. Right...

IMO college football rivalries are way overhyped. Navy fans rushed the field after giving the Irish their 8th loss on the season. Sweet. Army-Navy routinely suck yet they put that trash on NBC? No thanks. UM and OSU are power college football programs, but to me that's just another regular season game, unless they meet in the NC game. I don't mind UM, but OSU fans are beyond annoying, especially considering it ISNT EVEN A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM. For some reason, I object to claiming an amateur athletic competition as being "The Rivalry".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is the dumbest thing I've read today. Congratulations.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think that's stupid you should check out my posts from today in this thread!

MuresanForMVP 11-08-2007 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok forget I ever said the professional thing. Today and yesterday have no been my best posting days. I'm in a slump. I need a slump-buster, where's that Halloween fattie thread from BBV at?!?

UNC-Duke vs. UM-OSU would be a very good debate.

damaniac 11-08-2007 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok forget I ever said the professional thing. Today and yesterday have no been my best posting days. I'm in a slump. I need a slump-buster, where's that Halloween fattie thread from BBV at?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would in theory but since the criteria are so vague it's pretty hard. If you care about how fans interact then M-OSU goes down a bit since there isn't nearly so much interaction on a regular basis as with instate rivalries. Someone (Mandel?) wrote an article comparing rivalries and decided that because M and OSU weren't in the same state they couldn't be under consideration. I guess that's a fair point if you use that as your criteria, but it seems like it should be one point among many, not wholly dispositive.

TomCollins 11-08-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would in theory but since the criteria are so vague it's pretty hard. If you care about how fans interact then M-OSU goes down a bit since there isn't nearly so much interaction on a regular basis as with instate rivalries. Someone (Mandel?) wrote an article comparing rivalries and decided that because M and OSU weren't in the same state they couldn't be under consideration. I guess that's a fair point if you use that as your criteria, but it seems like it should be one point among many, not wholly dispositive.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, the "separate" us vs. them mentality makes it great. I can see the other side too, but I don't agree with it.

Zimmer4141 11-08-2007 01:52 PM

I honestly feel that the UM-OSU game means more than the UNC-Duke game. I'd put UNC-Duke basketball as the 2nd best rivalry in sports (pro sports included) behind UM-OSU. It's not because the fans care more (tough to say whose fans care more out of the two), it's just because of the way college football is setup. In about half of the years that UM and OSU play, both have a chance to go to either the Rose Bowl or NC game. Whomever loses that game, their season is essentially ruined. Whomever loses one of 2 or 3 UNC-Duke games throughout the year drops from a 1 to a 2 seed in the NCAA tourney. I'm not trying to knock UNC-Duke at all, I just think the way that college football is setup makes the UM-OSU rivalry that much more significant.

I get my first live taste of a UM-OSU game next weekend, I'm already excited for it.

MuresanForMVP 11-08-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly feel that the UM-OSU game means more than the UNC-Duke game. I'd put UNC-Duke basketball as the 2nd best rivalry in sports (pro sports included) behind UM-OSU. It's not because the fans care more (tough to say whose fans care more out of the two), it's just because of the way college football is setup. In about half of the years that UM and OSU play, both have a chance to go to either the Rose Bowl or NC game. Whomever loses that game, their season is essentially ruined. Whomever loses one of 2 or 3 UNC-Duke games throughout the year drops from a 1 to a 2 seed in the NCAA tourney. I'm not trying to knock UNC-Duke at all, I just think the way that college football is setup makes the UM-OSU rivalry that much more significant.

I get my first live taste of a UM-OSU game next weekend, I'm already excited for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, I agree with pretty much all of it when comparing the two.

damaniac 11-08-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same basic impulse, and this more generally is why I love college football so much (also because our football team >>>>>>> our basketball team, lately). I don't know if that's totally fair since you're basically saying college football is better than college basketball as an implicit part of the argument, but since I'm on board with that idea I can see it.

It's just great to be so invested in each individual game that a great win leaves you on a high for the rest of the weekend and into the week, and a loss totally kills it. Every other sport, you lose a game, it sucks, oh well, you'll play another in 3 days. Some mean more than others but even though a loss to a fierce rival in bball may have a big emotional punch, it doesn't mean much in terms of the way your season progresses. You lost to OSU or Michigan and there goes the Rose Bowl/Big Ten/MNC hopes.

Victor 11-08-2007 03:14 PM

most osu fans would rather beat michigan than win a title. i know i would.

i would be surprised if any other rivalry elicited such a preference. and that is why this is the best rivalry.

Number27 11-08-2007 03:15 PM

Alabama/Auburn definitely has a higher level of hatred across the fan base than any other rivalry. I'm not sure if it's true; but I have been told that Toomer's Corner (a tree Auburn fans roll when they win a game) was rolled when Bear Bryant died. These people don't just want to beat each other. They want the other school to blow up and the fans to die in a grease fire. It's on a whole other level.

Zimmer4141 11-08-2007 03:22 PM

I'm not necessarily saying that College football is better than college basketball. College basketball is excellent and March Madness is the most exciting time of the year. I just think that the way college football is setup in that every game is a must-win game makes for more exciting yearly rivalries because the season of the loser is essentially ruined when one or both teams are national title contenders year in and year out.