Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   November "I FORGOT MY MANTRA" Low Content chit-chat thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=537581)

Fishwhenican 11-05-2007 02:47 PM

Re: November \"I FORGOT MY MANTRA\" Low Content chit-chat thread

[ QUOTE ]
thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Dom and Wookie, what do you think of Orlando's suggestion that I email him with a friendly tone? I'm not sure I will but I wanted to know your thoughts on this idea. Also, today we are speaking to each other just about business stuff. We have remained polite (or "civil" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) I have a feeling that this is how it will be from now on which is fine with me. Unfortunately we both depend on each other to get our work done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy, You have received good advice from Blarg and others. I would NOT do any of this communication via email because it is hard to keep things in perspective via email at times. On the positive side it is documentation.

Anyway, If this guy physically threatened you, you need to report it and report it now. I would write it up in a professional way and take it to HR and to your manager. I am assuming this bozo is not your supervisor. There is nothing in a workplace that warrants a physical threat like that. This cannot and should not be tolerated. If one of my people came to me and told me something like this the aggressor would be fired immediately.

Stand up for yourself and once again take the bull by the horns and get this taken care of. You are in the right. Be professional, document and go over his head to the proper people.

daveT 11-05-2007 03:14 PM

Katy. One thing that pops out at me is that you said he talks to his wife on the phone like this. Now he is talking to you like this.

Add 2 and 2: he has a crush on you. Actually, the whole thing sounds like a crush.

He is butting in on your conversations because he is interested in what you say. He was comfortable with you until he recognized those emotions. Some people push harder than they pull and the only way they relate to people of the opposite sex is through "negs." He probably doesn't mean any harm to you, but it is not appropriate either.

Otherwise, just do what everyone else said.

Dominic 11-05-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Dom and Wookie, what do you think of Orlando's suggestion that I email him with a friendly tone? I'm not sure I will but I wanted to know your thoughts on this idea. Also, today we are speaking to each other just about business stuff. We have remained polite (or "civil" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) I have a feeling that this is how it will be from now on which is fine with me. Unfortunately we both depend on each other to get our work done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy, You have received good advice from Blarg and others. I would NOT do any of this communication via email because it is hard to keep things in perspective via email at times. On the positive side it is documentation.

Anyway, If this guy physically threatened you, you need to report it and report it now. I would write it up in a professional way and take it to HR and to your manager. I am assuming this bozo is not your supervisor. There is nothing in a workplace that warrants a physical threat like that. This cannot and should not be tolerated. If one of my people came to me and told me something like this the aggressor would be fired immediately.

Stand up for yourself and once again take the bull by the horns and get this taken care of. You are in the right. Be professional, document and go over his head to the proper people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...your personal relationship with this guy is OVER. Do not email him at all unless it has to do with business.

Take it to HR, not him!

Orlando Salazar 11-05-2007 04:28 PM

They may still have to work together if he doesn't get fired/moved. Plus it can make Katy look bad/like a bitch. An email is documentation, if he is still unrelenting, then take it to HR. HR=End of working relationship, which could be bad for Katy's productivity and professional development.

Edit:
Oh yeah, he prolly wants to do u.

Dominic 11-05-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They may still have to work together if he doesn't get fired/moved. Plus it can make Katy look bad/like a bitch. An email is documentation, if he is still unrelenting, then take it to HR. HR=End of working relationship, which could be bad for Katy's productivity and professional development.

Edit:

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the email is a professional "WTF?" I have no real problem with it. Yeah, he probably thinks of you as his work-wife and now he's treating you like his real wife!

Blarg 11-05-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how her working relationship with him could be much worse anyway. If Katy misses this opportunity to document her problems with the guy, she may never get another one anywhere near as powerful before he completely sabotages her career. Which it sounds like he's embarking on right now. Right now, she has the initiative in being the good guy and putting him in his place. If she doesn't act, she will lose it, and that would be a tactical disaster. Because then it will be time to listen to the boss, not to his now merely putatively disgruntled underling, when the issue of "the Katie problem" and her suitability for continued employment -- or promotion, God forbid -- comes up.

That is when she will be painted as looking bad or a b*tch. And it will work, too. Right now, she has a chance to defend herself that in no way will make her look like a b*tch. Really, if someone threatens to punch you in the face, especially in a work environment, that's the person who is going to look bad. Especially when doing it to a woman! The power is all Katie's in this situation, not his.

I'd stay away from e-mail too. Talking to this guy further, and directly, about this subject is the wrong thing. You want the emphasis here on management and what management is going to do, not on your personal relationship.

Two reason: One is that you don't want the situation to get out of hand further, and give him an opening to argue with you about deniability or whatever. Second is that what you want to be sure of is that this does not get brushed off as something personal, which will completely trivialize it and destroy any leverage this incident might give you. Katie needs that leverage now. What needs emphasis, to protect her career, is that she is not about people's personal problems and probably doesn't really even care about them; she's about getting the work done and being a professional in a professional environment. And something is intefering with that.

Handle it coolly but firmly, and you save your career, not to mention your emotional state. Dick around in it and minimize the situation, and you make the situation and the mindset of the initial offender, and everyone he thenceforth influences, permanent. She simply can't afford to play this off lightly and let this attitude toward her become publically acknowledged and acceptable. That's career suicide, and even if she keeps her job, it will probably be at great effort, wind up very distasteful and unsatisfying to her, and she'll find it very hard to advance in her career.

It's a mistake to see this merely as an incident. The most important thing is that it is a precedent. It has to be treated accordingly. Once you go start going down the road of someone who can or should be thought less of, there is no turning back.

diebitter 11-05-2007 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just saw your post, Blarg, after I replied to Dom and Wookie. I will try to address it later as I can't at the moment. I certainly wish I had chopped this off at the knees before it got started. I tend to be very quiet and amiable at work, trying to go along with the joke, trying not to be a complainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy

Your silence is the action of someone deeply traumatised by it, you know what I'm saying?

(Okay, I'm sorta kidding, but if I worked next door to you and you told me this, I'd pick a fight with the guy in the car park on some pretext or another).

hyde 11-05-2007 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly wish I had chopped this off at the knees before it got started. I tend to be very quiet and amiable at work, trying to go along with the joke, trying not to be a complainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can not solve this problem from within your comfort zone.
It is too late to chop off at the knees, but you have received extremely good advice from Blarg. I hope you follow it.

daveT 11-05-2007 06:11 PM

How often should we add a new singer/songwriter to the singer/songwriter thread? I already love it. I hope to see a bunch of stuff I am not familiar with.

Kimbell175113 11-05-2007 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often should we add a new singer/songwriter to the singer/songwriter thread?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea, but let's just go crazy for the first day, at least.

daveT 11-05-2007 06:23 PM

Do you mean, "lets just NOT go crazy for the first day, at least?"

Kimbell175113 11-05-2007 06:59 PM

Nah, I meant go ahead and unload a few at the beginning so we have something to work with.

But hey, just do whatever you think is optimal. I don't want it to be Kimbell's thread with Kimbell's rules.

SoloAJ 11-05-2007 07:25 PM

Blarg is getting pretty animated about this topic. It is ruining my perception of him as the composed Lounger.

katy, I have no advice, but I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Pretty crummy when people treat other people like that.

KDawg 11-05-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you think of Orlando's suggestion that I email him with a friendly tone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the second he threatened you with physical violence, he gave up the right for you to say anything friendly to him. Go straight to your boss and discuss the situation. There is no reason at all that you should have to work in such a situation

daveT 11-05-2007 08:15 PM

I agree with Blarg to take it straight to management. Solo, I have always been under the impression that he hasn't always had good work experiences.

Blarg 11-05-2007 08:28 PM

Yeah, job stuff like this is serious business and I react to it with alarm. I used to be in some places filled with really nutty office politics -- was a union rep even, so I heard and was asked to help mediate even more. At one mediation we had during contract talks, the federal mediator said she had never seen a place where there was so much bad blood between management and labor, and she had been doing this for over 20 years and been to places where people were punching each other and attacking cars.

This stuff is incredibly serious and people can be amazingly spiteful, underhanded, and foolish in offices. I've seen a lot of people really torn up by what goes on, descending into all the popular vices, and in general getting unhinged. People work out a lot of primal conflicts, that may have nothing whatsoever to do with the people they're working with, on the backs of those same, often bewildered people under the pretense of just doing business. The spirit of junior high never really leaves a lot of people, and acting like an adult and a professional is simply out of the skill set of way too many people.

You really have to protect yourself if you get a shark in the pool. Even one is enough to create complete havoc and ruin one employee after the next.

Dominic 11-05-2007 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy, what is it you do, anyways?

katyseagull 11-05-2007 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wookie is right on. Do not confuse your job with your friendship. The guy is messing with your livlihood by doing this. Don't let it continue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree, I came to the same conclusion on Friday Dom. I just don't understand how a friend can undermine me in such an unprofessional way. It felt like he was messing with me and affecting my ability to work. I was so pissed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

This is something that started as joking around (when he first came to our company he was always talking to me) and over the past year has sort of morphed into something else altogether. Not sure what you call it. Like my friend said today, he is acting like he's my boss but he isn't anywhere close to being my boss or anyone else's for that matter. My other friend (and coworker) thinks it's really bizarre as he only does this with me. She can't figure it out either. She suggested I talk to our boss.

katyseagull 11-06-2007 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how her working relationship with him could be much worse anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking too. And thank you for all your advice Blarg. Do we have great 2+2ers in here or what? I'm getting all emotional thinking about what a great group of people we have on this site. You guys (and girls) make me feel so comfortable it's awesome. I guess it's obvious that I prefer talking with strangers on a forum than dealing with my real life. Real life is hard for me.

But I don't know, I'm not the kind of person to go to HR and to start documenting things. For one thing this guy is/was my friend. I could never do that to him or his wife. If he keeps messing with me I will talk to our boss about it because I don't want to lose my job but truthfully I couldn't ever sue a company. That's just not me. I don't like conflict and would be happy if he'd just leave me alone to do my job. I'm pretty content when I'm left alone to do my job.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd stay away from e-mail too. Talking to this guy further, and directly, about this subject is the wrong thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with you on this. I don't feel like trying to talk to him. Probably because I avoid uncomfortable situations. I'm an avoider and would just as soon give up then pursue a fight.

[ QUOTE ]

Dick around in it and minimize the situation, and you make the situation and the mindset of the initial offender, and everyone he thenceforth influences, permanent. She simply can't afford to play this off lightly and let this attitude toward her become publically acknowledged and acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I do tend to dick around a little too much. How did you know? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Ok, while I acknowledge that you may have a point, I'm hoping there's some middle ground here. I have faith that the other people in my company can tell which one of us is a nutcase and which one is a normal employee. You might be right that I am minimizing the situation, I just don't want to report the guy to HR. I would rather freeze him out and not talk to him.

The thing is, I don't think he is trying to get me fired. I think he's incredibly immature and is acting unprofessionally. He wants to use me as a punching bag, belittle me, don't ask me why. It's pretty weird; I don't know what his problem is. I know you wonder why I thought I had to take it. It's because he befriended me that's why. After we were friends it seemed dumb to make a big issue of his boorish behavior. I thought as friends I had to put up with it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But now that he escalated it I think I'm pretty much done with him. His loss.

I certainly appreciate all of your advice and will think on it some more.

Blarg 11-06-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I don't know, I'm not the kind of person to go to HR and to start documenting things. For one thing this guy is/was my friend. I could never do that to him or his wife. If he keeps messing with me I will talk to our boss about it because I don't want to lose my job but truthfully I couldn't ever sue a company. That's just not me. I don't like conflict and would be happy if he'd just leave me alone to do my job. I'm pretty content when I'm left alone to do my job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katie, I feel there are some misguided sentiments here. It is nice that they are positive, but I think you may be sticking your head in the sand to your ultimate regret. Remember, it's not like, especially during my time as a union rep, I haven't seen this kind of thing happen before. You really DO need to stop the ball rolling, and get out of the mindset that you are the one who is the bad guy here.

Katie, you aren't suing a company just by insisting that someone saying he is going to punch you in the face and trying to undermine and publicly humiliate you stop it immediately. You shouldn't let anyone convince you that you are, or that protecting yourself is either bad or unprofessional. Professional, and good, is exactly what it is. You are not the one who needs to be explaining your conduct when you are the one being attacked. That psychological judo that would make you feel otherwise is a problem, not the natural and wholly understandable desire to have bad things stop and have everything return to a professional level.

It is not you who is "doing something like that" to him. He is the one acting out. And HE is the one doing it to himself, thereby. He is so offensive that he has got you in a completely defensive mindset, which makes his victory complete and paves the way for his behavior to continue. It also sets a bad example around the office for how it is possible to treat you and think of you. You do not have to be a bitch-goddess to be someone who is not to be messed with, threatened, or humiliated. You are thinking too in the box about this, relegating it to a defensive matter, when really you have nothing to be defensive about, and the initiative and chance to do the right thing, and rightly so, is actually all on your side.

Also, I would feel terrible if my female friend or relative had so little confidence in herself and sense of her own worth that she felt that people treating her badly were really not so bad and maybe just giving her what she really deserved anyway. It sounds, Katie, like you have perhaps unfortunately entered into a certain comfort zone with being a doormat. That can be a lifelong affliction I would wish on no one.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an avoider and would just as soon give up then pursue a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

How one feels inside sometimes has to be separated from how one acts. Especially when one's career and working relationship with others is affected. Don't think this whole thing is only about you and him. It's about you and the company. He is calling you out for your courage and decisiveness and ability to handle tough opposition. These are not merely personal matters, but career issues. This is not just an attack on you personally, but on your job and career. Treat it accordingly. You are kidding yourself if you don't think others are forming opinions about your capability by seeing how you handle this guy. And the important capabilities at work are not about being a nice friend. They are about doing your job and potentially managing people. The latter generally doesn't get assigned to shrinking violets.

By the way, on a more personal note, for this dude anyway, why is this guy's friendship so hot? He humiliates his wife on the phone in a way, even in a way that others can hear it, not privately. He now is doing the same thing to you, and threatening physical violence even. Just what is it about this guy that's so great? How many women do you think he has threatened before, and will in the future?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, while I acknowledge that you may have a point, I'm hoping there's some middle ground here. I have faith that the other people in my company can tell which one of us is a nutcase and which one is a normal employee. You might be right that I am minimizing the situation, I just don't want to report the guy to HR. I would rather freeze him out and not talk to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a personal response to a professional situation. It is mis-applied here. Giving him the cold shoulder is childish and ineffective and may even come off as petulant and weak. You are faced with a professional matter and need a professional response, not to withdraw from the challenge. Whether you address this as a sulking or petulant chick or as a professional will say a lot about you, and people will be watching.

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, I don't think he is trying to get me fired. I think he's incredibly immature and is acting unprofessionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not your problem. You would get more value out of ignoring his psychological motivations and responding professionally, and you would be happier too and waste less time. Basically, Who cares? Hint: Your career does. The rest is crap you should jettison.

[ QUOTE ]
But now that he escalated it I think I'm pretty much done with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then responding in a professional matter to a work situation should not be a problem. It shouldn't anyway, ever. You have every right to work in a professional environment and be treated accordingly. You certainly don't need to make allowances for people humiliating you and threatening to punch you in the face. It's astonishing to me that you could possibly think you do. Perhaps you're just very naive, but I think it's time to grow up and take charge, and if this situation doesn't compel you to do so, I wonder what possibly could.

Your career demands better of you, at least, than it looks like you're willing to settle for on a personal level. Don't dick around with your own career, no matter how you feel as a person. Just my opinion, but it looks like it's time for you to resolve up a backbone outta somewhere.

Fishwhenican 11-06-2007 06:59 PM

Not nearly as dramatic as Katy's work issue but for what it's worth I filled my buck tag Saturday night. Got a nice 4X4 whitetail just before the end of shooting time. He is going to be very good eating!!!!

Tomorrow I head to the ranch to play cowboy helping to gather and sort cows for shipping. The weather is supposed to be really nice so it will be good to do something different than being stuck in an office with no windows working on the PC all day! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SoloAJ 11-06-2007 07:05 PM

Fish,

I'm really really sorry if you answered this already, but I have no idea how I would go about searching for it if you had (without lots of effort).

Anyway, how often do you go hunting? Like every weekend only? Every other night?

Fishwhenican 11-06-2007 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fish,

I'm really really sorry if you answered this already, but I have no idea how I would go about searching for it if you had (without lots of effort).

Anyway, how often do you go hunting? Like every weekend only? Every other night?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Problem. No need to be sorry. I don't know that I've ever said anything about this.

Anyway, I go out when I can. During bowhunting season, shich starts the beginning of September I will sometimes go out in the evenings after work and then maybe a day or two on the weekends. Once rifle season starts, towards the end of October until the sunday after thanksgiving I will go out when I can which is usually on weekends since we are losing daylight now to hunt after much after work although I will occasionally go out after work before the time change. Sometimes we hunt all weekend sometimes not. Usually Saturday is the big day but it just depends on whatever else is going on.

Sometimes I will take a week or two off during rifle season. Sometimes we will get a bunch of us to go out west elk hunting up in the mountains sometimes we just hunt around here since this is actually a really good area too. The only "problem" with hunting around where we live is that we have to draw a permit to hunt elk in the largest place where we have public land and a bull permit is a long draw. Out west there are places where we can rifle hunt bulls with just a general elk license.

When we hunt around here it is pretty laid back. We will figure out where we want to go and usually walk in a ways and then when we are done in that area we will drive somewhere else and walk that. Some days we are done after the morning hunt and some days we go for three or four of these walks. Just depends on how things go

This year my wife and I both got elk on opening day so we are not really under any pressure to fill the freezer so there is not as much "need" to get out hunting as hard. Now t is mostly for fun, find a nice buck and when there is an easy dry doe we will take one of them for sausage or I am sure there will be a lot of deer meat that we will give away this year too. we have a couple of tribal elders we know who will be really happy to have a deer and a couple of other people we know who are going to be able to use the meat as well.

After big game season is over we will do a bit of bird hunting until that closes and after that we will hunt coyotes, which is a gas as well. We call them in and it is pretty exciting when a coyote is coming in thinking they are getting a meal and we mess that up for them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I have had some times when we have had coyotes come in pretty darn close before we open up on them. First one I ever shot was at about 8 yards at a dead run right at me when I shot.

We don't hunt quite as often after big game season is over but we go out when we can. It is usually an all day thing. We will go out and take a grill along and take a break for lunch and grill up deer steaks and shoot clay pigeons and have a really good time. Lots of fun.

daveT 11-06-2007 11:16 PM

So, at certain times of the year, you are allowed to bow hunt and at others you can use a rifle? Why is this?

What do you do with the coyotes?

How many animals does it take to feed you for the year. It sounds like you don't need much if you are content with one elk.

Fishwhenican 11-06-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, at certain times of the year, you are allowed to bow hunt and at others you can use a rifle? Why is this?

What do you do with the coyotes?

How many animals does it take to feed you for the year. It sounds like you don't need much if you are content with one elk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowhunting starts earlier than rifle season, with the exception of "back country" places which are usually pretty remote area where you need to pack a camp in with horses. But bowhunting is very different than rifle hunting. You are trying to get as close to things as you can wearing camo only and no orange. Rifle sunting takes things out to many hundreds of yards and you have to wear orange for safety. Why are there two different seasons? Safety, different opportunities, it is much harder to shoot things with a bow so not as many animals are harvested so a longer season is fine that way.

Coyotes are hunted for a couple of reasons. The primary reason is population control. Especially in our part of the world there is nothing to keeo the population in check (no wolves for instance) so they can become quite a problem for ranchers and other wildlife. Other reasons can be for money, although they are not worth much now there was a day a guy could get $100 for a coyote. Some times, if the coyote is in really good shape, we will skin them out and have the hide tanned. They can actually be really beautiful if they are done right. I have one that we did hanging on the wall that is just beautiful

Actually what I said (or at lesat meant to say) was that my wife and I each got an elk on opening day. That is a lt of meat! We have/had tags for 9 deer and an antelope each. We could not possibly eat that much which is why we would be giving some away to folks who could use it. I am not sure I can answer how much it would really take. We usually just get what we can until the freezer is full and even then will end us giving some away as well. For what it is worth, as well, an elk is a pretty darn big animal and we get a lot of meat from one, several hundred pounds.

katyseagull 11-06-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Coyotes are hunted for a couple of reasons. The primary reason is population control. Especially in our part of the world there is nothing to keeo the population in check (no wolves for instance) so they can become quite a problem for ranchers and other wildlife. Other reasons can be for money, although they are not worth much now there was a day a guy could get $100 for a coyote. Some times, if the coyote is in really good shape, we will skin them out and have the hide tanned. They can actually be really beautiful if they are done right. I have one that we did hanging on the wall that is just beautiful

[/ QUOTE ]

ewww [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Why oh why can't you leave the little coyotes alone? Are you sure they are coyotes and not just starving skinny dogs? (and btw, what does a coyote taste like?)

Do you get up in trees when you are bow hunting? In the midwest our hunters perch in the trees. I think they are crazy. It sounds very awkward and uncomfortable.

Conspire 11-06-2007 11:53 PM

One reason why im happy to be back in Michigan is because Im gonna be eating venison bratwurst and chewing on venison jerky real soon.

Fishwhenican 11-07-2007 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ewww [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Why oh why can't you leave the little coyotes alone? Are you sure they are coyotes and not just starving skinny dogs? (and btw, what does a coyote taste like?)

Do you get up in trees when you are bow hunting? In the midwest our hunters perch in the trees. I think they are crazy. It sounds very awkward and uncomfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to be starving to death to eat a coyote and I mean just about ready to die. Coyote hunting is nothing more than predator control, well, besides being a lot of fun. Around here, other than man, coyotes are the top of the food chain. Nothing to keep them in check. Coyotes will eat young deer, well really young anything, and can put quite a hit on animal populations if their numbers are not somehow reduced. You hear stories all the time of coyotes in urban areas taking peoples dogs and cats. This is because there are too many of them there and they are not afraid of anything since they are not hunted. So next time you think of a coyote, think of it killing a cute little puppy or a beautiful newborn baby deer.

Yes, when we bow hunt we will sometimes use a tree stand. It is really a very effective way to bowhunt. Gives the hunter a much better chance to be close without being detected. It was a little unnerving the first time few times I went up a tree and I still get a little nervous climbing the first few times but after that it is not so bad. Actually sitting is easy. A stand is used that has a seat and a platform to stand on as well. Only part that gets uncomfortable is my butt after sitting too long.

Funny though, the only deer I got with my bow this year was on the ground and most of the animals I have been able to get with the bow have been on the ground. It's actually very cool to be up in a tree watching things and seeing the day turn into night or the morning darkness turn into day. You see a lot of stuff you wouldn't normally see from the ground too. Very fun!

Fishwhenican 11-07-2007 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One reason why im happy to be back in Michigan is because Im gonna be eating venison bratwurst and chewing on venison jerky real soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM, ya. Eating is one of the best parts! We use antelope for sausage and jerky and it is really good too. I am going to experiment with making my own sausage this year so that will be fun and interesting as well! So far I am planning on some breakfast sausage, some summer sausage and pepperoni sticks.

SoloAJ 11-07-2007 12:24 PM

Fish, glad to hear more details about it all.

I definitely wish I could try this out (or even tag along on something) sometime in the future. If I haven't figured out a way to do so at some point, in a few years I might be making a trip out to SE Montana for a Loungers special. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SoloAJ 11-07-2007 01:10 PM

All,

I just realized I have only started one thread since April. Granted, that thread took off pretty well, but jeez. I need to start coming up with some ideas for thread topics.

katyseagull 11-07-2007 01:22 PM

Yes Solo, yes you do. I mean geez, how hard could it be? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyone else who thinks they have a good thread topic that might be of interest to the rest of us, please feel free to start a thread. Let's try to make it discussion oriented.

Blarg 11-07-2007 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM, ya. Eating is one of the best parts! We use antelope for sausage and jerky and it is really good too. I am going to experiment with making my own sausage this year so that will be fun and interesting as well! So far I am planning on some breakfast sausage, some summer sausage and pepperoni sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested to hear how that goes for you. There are a couple of supposedly really outstanding books on sausage making out now that look really great for someone who has the time and wants to put in the energy. Charcuterie I think they call it? I've gotta say, sausage is often not very good, but excellent sausage is fantastic, and if you get the knack and the knowledge down, the results would probably be incredible and something really to be proud of. You might have all your friends' Christmas presents figured out for the rest of their lives!

katyseagull 11-07-2007 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, on a more personal note, for this dude anyway, why is this guy's friendship so hot? He humiliates his wife on the phone in a way, even in a way that others can hear it, not privately. He now is doing the same thing to you, and threatening physical violence even. Just what is it about this guy that's so great? How many women do you think he has threatened before, and will in the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

Difficult question which is why it's taken me so long to answer it. He invited me places. He's funny. He's like a real life Chris Farley only meaner. He included me in things that he was doing outside of work. We went to the comedy club and out for drinks with our significant others. We agree on politics. It's a friendship I will miss. But you're right, Blarg, after the way he's been acting I don't want to patch things up. Whether you believe it or not I actually do have some self respect. What I mean is that I'm not desperate to keep a friend. I am sort of an introvert so being around people is a turnoff to me anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Giving him the cold shoulder is childish and ineffective and may even come off as petulant and weak. You are faced with a professional matter and need a professional response, not to withdraw from the challenge. Whether you address this as a sulking or petulant chick or as a professional will say a lot about you, and people will be watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assure you I am not a sulking chick. Petulant maybe. Ok well maybe I sulk a little about forum stuff. I know I know, diebitter and Wookie are raising an eyebrow right now. I may be a lot of things but sulking is not one of them except in my forum life. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Dominic 11-07-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Difficult question which is why it's taken me so long to answer it. He invited me places. He's funny. He's like a real life Chris Farley only meaner. He included me in things that he was doing outside of work. We went to the comedy club and out for drinks with our significant others. We agree on politics. It's a friendship I will miss. But you're right, Blarg, after the way he's been acting I don't want to patch things up. Whether you believe it or not I actually do have some self respect. What I mean is that I'm not desperate to keep a friend. I am sort of an introvert so being around people is a turnoff to me anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Giving him the cold shoulder is childish and ineffective and may even come off as petulant and weak. You are faced with a professional matter and need a professional response, not to withdraw from the challenge. Whether you address this as a sulking or petulant chick or as a professional will say a lot about you, and people will be watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assure you I am not a sulking chick. Petulant maybe. Ok well maybe I sulk a little about forum stuff. I know I know, diebitter and Wookie are raising an eyebrow right now. I may be a lot of things but sulking is not one of them except in my forum life. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

All this talk of your "significant other" and "boyfriend" in this thread and the motorcycle one has to stop. You're blowing my fantasy.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

katyseagull 11-07-2007 02:29 PM

Ok. sorry.

Conspire 11-07-2007 02:32 PM

I have had some ideas for threads, but when I really sit down to type it out I realize its just some lunatic rant. I then have to get up walk around, fall back on drugs or something of that nature. Then I go back to bbv. [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

katyseagull 11-07-2007 02:34 PM

sounds like a good thread to me. Do not let inhibition stifle your ideas. Here's my suggestion. Keep the first sentence. Cut out the last 2 paragraphs. Keep the last 2 sentences. Pose a question at end. gogogogo

Conspire 11-07-2007 02:37 PM

I could title it "The Ramblings Of A Semi-Paranoid Person" and just keep updating it like a blog.

Nah, im not really feeling that at this very moment.....who knows what the future holds though.

Fishwhenican 11-07-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fish, glad to hear more details about it all.

I definitely wish I could try this out (or even tag along on something) sometime in the future. If I haven't figured out a way to do so at some point, in a few years I might be making a trip out to SE Montana for a Loungers special. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

SoloAJ, You would be welcome.

Here's an idea. Graduate and come out here to work. english teacher right? It seems like our school is always lookinf for english teachers. I am pretty sure there is some kind of crazy government program that wipes out student loans, or something like that, for teachers who teach on or near Indian reservations?? Hunting would abound then! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]