Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   This kinda pissed me off (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536527)

aislephive 11-02-2007 03:01 PM

Re: This kinda pissed me off

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They have already profited from my initial purchase a few days ago, why do they need to make more money off the same purchase?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if you return it to them. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's in direct exchange for another game, which I explained in the OP that it is, they are losing nothing.

wtfsvi 11-02-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP,

I really don't get why you think a store would ever do what you're suggesting (letting you return a game for a small fee). People would abuse a policy like that tremendously.

Also, the 30-day return law is total [censored]. Return policies vary by stores, and states can't govern these policies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it would be abused if the policy stated something like "returns must be less than a week old and the game must be in perfect condition. The customer must also pay a $5 fee." How exactly is a policy like that going to be abused?

[/ QUOTE ] So you think they should offer people to rent the game for $5/week? Like I said, might be an awesome business plan. You should try it out.

TiK 11-02-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it's in direct exchange for another game, which I explained in the OP that it is, they are losing nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

They lose part of the value of the original game. They can no longer sell the item you returned as a new item because it's been used.

tuq 11-02-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're totally right. My bad.

Five-Star 11-02-2007 03:08 PM

Some stores like this offer a "If you can beat the game in so many days" you can return it for cost or an equal return.

Video game sales are like the book sales in college. You never get what you want and you never get as much as they'll sell it to someone else for.

wtfsvi 11-02-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They lose part of the value of the original game. They can no longer sell the item you returned as a new item because it's been used.

[/ QUOTE ] Not to mention there would be no chance you'd actually buy the other game. Now there is no chance you buy any game from them of course, because you have a sandy vagina, but they couldn't know that.

aislephive 11-02-2007 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? They run a business. They buy video games from you for $20 and resell them for $55. What is upsetting to you about this? If you think this is so outragous, why don't you start your own business where you buy video games from kids for $50 and resell them for $55? No flaw in that plan, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I have a problem with their policy I should start my own company or STFU? That sounds completely logical, sir. Do go on.

They have already profited from my initial purchase a few days ago, why do they need to make more money off the same purchase? Also, does making your customers happy not count for anything? If I decide to not buy games at all from them anymore, that's hundreds of dollars a year of my money that is going to a rival business. So even from a pure profit standpoint, it makes sense to do what they can within reason to make me happy so that I continue to give them my business. There are so many game stores around and the only thing seperating any of them is customer service. What I asked for was not crazy or unreasonable at all, anyways.

[/ QUOTE ] Ok. You're right. I can't tell you what should piss you off. Stop shopping there sounds like a brilliant idea. Good luck finding a store that lets you return opened video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if every other store does the same thing, you don't think making an exception to the rule to please a customer that won't even lose the store money in a vacuum is a good idea?

[ QUOTE ]
So you think they should offer people to rent the game for $5/week? Like I said, might be an awesome business plan. You should try it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

So they should instead have a policy that f*cks everybody over because a few people decide to abuse it? Hey, I heard some people abuse car insurance policies, let's get rid of those, too! What are you in seventh grade?

aislephive 11-02-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd lose $5-$10 at most, which if you read the OP would realize I already addressed this, saying I'd be more than happy to pay a small fee so that they wouldn't lose money on my behalf.

The Bus Driver 11-02-2007 03:18 PM

The bottom line is you're an idiot. You made the mistake buying the wrong game, you opened it up, and now you're essentially trying to get them to pay you full (or nearly full) retail price for a used game that they'll be lucky not to take a loss on. Have some personal accountability and suck it up. It's not their job to cover your ass for you.

mosdef 11-02-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd lose $5-$10 at most, which if you read the OP would realize I already addressed this, saying I'd be more than happy to pay a small fee so that they wouldn't lose money on my behalf.

[/ QUOTE ]

But companies don't seek to engage with you so that they break even. You don't go into a deal saying "If you do this to help me out, then you'll break even. It's win-win!"

aislephive 11-02-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention there would be no chance you'd actually buy the other game. Now there is no chance you buy any game from them of course, because you have a sandy vagina, but they couldn't know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. It's completely insane for a customer to be pissed off and take their business elsewhere, that never happens. And if it does, who cares? You can call them names to make yourself feel better. You should open up a business of your own, sounds like you'd be very successful.

otnemem 11-02-2007 03:25 PM

OP,

The more you justify your rage, the stupider you begin to sound. You don't seem to understand that they're losing more than just $5. If everyone who shopped there purchased a brand new game and returned it two days later for a $5 fee, the store would have an awful lot of used games. It's most likely that nobody's going to buy a used game for $45 when they could buy it new for $50. So they'd have to mark it down to at least $40, losing them $5 on that transaction. And what happens if you don't like the game you exchanged for? You get to return it for a fee again, losing them another $5. At some point, the store is going to be overrun with used games that nobody wants to purchase, or that they do purchase at a loss to the store.

I'm actually baffled that you're seemingly an adult who's made it this far in life without encountering policies like this one. I'm 26, and I've been attempting to bypass them for 12 years.

RoundGuy 11-02-2007 03:36 PM

OP, this is one of those threads where you just need to suck it up, tuq your tail between your legs, and walk away quietly. Come back next Monday, and hopefully we will all forget what an idiot you were.

Seriously, I do it all the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

aislephive 11-02-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is you're an idiot. You made the mistake buying the wrong game, you opened it up, and now you're essentially trying to get them to pay you full (or nearly full) retail price for a used game that they'll be lucky not to take a loss on. Have some personal accountability and suck it up. It's not their job to cover your ass for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a mistake, I'm not denying that. So what? I'm human, I make mistakes. As far as they go, it's a pretty common and harmless one. The problem with most of these responses is you're not thinking logically from a business perspective. I never argued that the fault wasn't on me in the first place.

tuq 11-02-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with most of these responses is you're not thinking logically from a business perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. The obvious play here is to open up a video game store with a customer-friendly return policy! Imagine the loyalty that would develop. People would come back over and over!

HeroInBlack 11-02-2007 03:47 PM

Maybe you should get your mommy to go down there and talk to the manager.

aislephive 11-02-2007 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

The more you justify your rage, the stupider you begin to sound. You don't seem to understand that they're losing more than just $5. If everyone who shopped there purchased a brand new game and returned it two days later for a $5 fee, the store would have an awful lot of used games. It's most likely that nobody's going to buy a used game for $45 when they could buy it new for $50. So they'd have to mark it down to at least $40, losing them $5 on that transaction. And what happens if you don't like the game you exchanged for? You get to return it for a fee again, losing them another $5. At some point, the store is going to be overrun with used games that nobody wants to purchase, or that they do purchase at a loss to the store.

I'm actually baffled that you're seemingly an adult who's made it this far in life without encountering policies like this one. I'm 26, and I've been attempting to bypass them for 12 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man, your argument is ridiculous. "If everybody did what you did, then they would lose money!" Ok? Not everybody is doing what I'm doing, so that's a moot point. There are a lot of policies that can be abused in any store if everybody decided to do so, but that isn't the case. Hell, I'm not even asking them to change the policy. I'm asking them to make a very reasonable exception to the rule in a manner that doesn't cost them money. Is this really that insane to you?

otnemem 11-02-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on man, your argument is ridiculous. "If everybody did what you did, then they would lose money!" Ok? Not everybody is doing what I'm doing, so that's a moot point.

[/ QUOTE ]
But if a store was known for this policy, everyone would. Are you serious?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm asking them to make a very reasonable exception to the rule in a manner that doesn't cost them money. Is this really that insane to you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think you're the only one who's ever purchased a game they didn't like? And yes, completely insane that you don't even understand why they won't let you. You're either extremely stupid or extremely naive.

The Bus Driver 11-02-2007 03:50 PM

It is costing them money. If you want $50 for your game so badly, put it up on Craigslist and sell it to some kid yourself.

aislephive 11-02-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, this is one of those threads where you just need to suck it up, tuq your tail between your legs, and walk away quietly. Come back next Monday, and hopefully we will all forget what an idiot you were.

Seriously, I do it all the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit defeat when somebody makes a practical argument that makes sense, or points out a similar flaw in mine.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with most of these responses is you're not thinking logically from a business perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. The obvious play here is to open up a video game store with a customer-friendly return policy! Imagine the loyalty that would develop. People would come back over and over!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heard that one before .. try again.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should get your mommy to go down there and talk to the manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure thing, random condescending OOT poster #102947.

POKEROMGLOL 11-02-2007 03:55 PM

not going to read the entire thread....

but i hate EBgames a lot. I go in there to buy some specific game, like tiger woods or some other cool game that just came out, and they try and sell me final fantasy 98 and animejerkoff 14 and go on and on about how i can get 65 games for the price of 60 or whatever.

AND NO I DONT WANT YOUR $35 WARRANTY...

YES IM SURE

COMPLETELY SURE
SOTP ASKING

jesus i hate that place. HATE HATE HATE.

that place is almost as bad as Best Buy.

i seriously did a little dance when i read about the specific store i go to getting robbed and like 900 games stolen. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

otnemem 11-02-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll admit defeat when somebody makes a practical argument that makes sense, or points out a similar flaw in mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
The store loses money (and gains a less desirable used copy) every time they do employ your policy. Actually, you're right, that doesn't make sense.

bobman0330 11-02-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on man, your argument is ridiculous. "If everybody did what you did, then they would lose money!" Ok? Not everybody is doing what I'm doing, so that's a moot point. There are a lot of policies that can be abused in any store if everybody decided to do so, but that isn't the case. Hell, I'm not even asking them to change the policy. I'm asking them to make a very reasonable exception to the rule in a manner that doesn't cost them money. Is this really that insane to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, when people try to abuse policies, they don't walk in and say, "HAHAHAHA, I want to return this game that I played for hours and SUCKED ALL THE FUN OUT OF! Give me a full refund so I can never pay for games, HAHAHAHAHA!" They tell some version of your story, or another plausible story, or they threaten to take their business elsewhere. Now I'm all for trying to take advantage of stores, but come on dude, you can't get mad when they shoot you down. That's the game.

Twistofsin 11-02-2007 04:04 PM

I always thought these policies were to prevent customers from taking home games and ripping them to there PC and burning them to play on a modded system and then just taking the original back. Ya know, piracy.

otnemem 11-02-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought these policies were to prevent customers from taking home games and ripping them to there PC and burning them to play on a modded system and then just taking the original back. Ya know, piracy.

[/ QUOTE ]
That wasn't the original intent, though, because these policies go back a lot farther than ripping/burning technology even existed...

stormstarter28 11-02-2007 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's too logical for OP. Try something that makes less sense.

Alobar 11-02-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe do research before you buy a game next time?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, seriously. The only thing OP should be pissed about is too lazy to spend 30 seconds online before he buys something.

If stores catered to every moron who bought something on impulse and then opened it, used it,realized it sucked and wanted to return it, theyd all go broke.

Golden_Rhino 11-02-2007 04:31 PM

I say you go in there and make him humble; Iron Sheik style.

UbinTook 11-02-2007 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
op,

you're a goddamned idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, again, for emphasis.

kipin 11-02-2007 04:35 PM

OP,

You seem to have a cunning business sense.

How many profitable entrepreneurial ventures have you opened up?

Tony_P 11-02-2007 04:37 PM

Speaking as a former retail manager,

OP- You're an idiot.

aislephive 11-02-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on man, your argument is ridiculous. "If everybody did what you did, then they would lose money!" Ok? Not everybody is doing what I'm doing, so that's a moot point.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

But if a store was known for this policy, everyone would. Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your argument is that if there is a policy that can be abused that people will abuse it. Do you realize how many companies have policies that can easily be abused by anybody, yet they still use them?

If somebody at Mcdonalds wanted to, they could eat most of their meal, then at the end complain that the food was undercooked or some B.S. and they'll refund your money without thinking twice. And I've seen it happen more than once (not fraud necessarily, just the act of them refunding the meal no questions asked).

[ QUOTE ]
I'm asking them to make a very reasonable exception to the rule in a manner that doesn't cost them money. Is this really that insane to you?

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

Do you think you're the only one who's ever purchased a game they didn't like? And yes, completely insane that you don't even understand why they won't let you. You're either extremely stupid or extremely naive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're completely missing the point, again. I am not asking or expecting them to give me a full refund, jesus christ. All I ask for was a partial refund in store credit for roughly the value that it is worth. How exactly would a policy that says the following be exploited: "In order to get a refund for a new game, you must return it within a week of the original purchase with the reciept, and pay a fee equal to 10% of the value of the game new. Refunds are for store credit only."

With this policy, it prevents people from abusing the ability to constantly return games after they're done with them, while not completely screwing over those of us that are legitimate.

ZOMG_RIGGED! 11-02-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With this policy, it prevents people from abusing the ability to constantly return games after they're done with them, while not completely screwing over those of us that are legitimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't. It lets me rent a game for a week for $5. I hope this thread is a hudge level becuase you're a complete idiot if this is true.

dibbs 11-02-2007 05:14 PM

Pretty sure until a year or so ago that whole chain would take games back within 7 days (assuming everything in good condition) if you didn't like it, but people started really exploiting it and they canned it.

I've had Gamefly for about a year, their shipping times have improved greatly in that time too, I haven't got a scratched game from em yet.

And yea, TH is dead, Skate is the shid.

aislephive 11-02-2007 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The store loses money (and gains a less desirable used copy) every time they do employ your policy. Actually, you're right, that doesn't make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

The number I threw out there was arbitrary and can easily be adjusted to an amount that they wouldn't lose or profit from, which for a $60 game is going to be no more than $10.

TiK 11-02-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is where your opinions start diverging with those of the rest of the forum. We (ok, I'll speak for myself), I do not see your gripe as legitimate. Not doing research before making a purchase is your own fault and not that of the store. The store should be under no obligation to accomodate your bad judgement. I do agree with you though that the store should make accomodations for legitimate beefs.

otnemem 11-02-2007 05:16 PM

You're just being unreasonable and embarrassing yourself.

Your McDonald's example is inane, because you're talking about a $2 hamburger, not a $50 piece of merchandise. Also, if the burger is physically not undercooked, how would you convince them that it is? The only reason you'd be given a refund in this case is because they'd figure it's easier to refund you than deal with a crazy person.

I will reiterate: If a store had this policy, it would be exploited every day by thousands of people. There used to be a CD chain in New Jersey called Compact Disc World. For $15 a year, you could become a member of their club. You'd receive discounts on CDs, and you could return anything, open or not. Guess when they went out of business? Well, it was soon after they had to get rid of the policy due to the fact that CD burners were becoming increasingly popular. After they dismantled the club, nobody shopped there anymore.

Also, you're basically just ignoring all of my previous points about why it's not in a corporation's best interests to lose money every time someone decides to exchange a new game. Please review my first post in this thread.

ZOMG_RIGGED! 11-02-2007 05:17 PM

[censored]. No one buys expensive used games

aislephive 11-02-2007 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't. It lets me rent a game for a week for $5. I hope this thread is a hudge level becuase you're a complete idiot if this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok? You can do the same thing at Blockbuster.

otnemem 11-02-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok? You can do the same thing at Blockbuster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. And that's what Blockbuster exists for, not Gamestop.