Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   BFI November [censored] thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536089)

Maulik 11-05-2007 11:12 AM

Re: BFI November [censored] thread

What is similar to Td Ameritrade, Vanguard in the U.K.?

Bump_Bailey 11-08-2007 05:13 PM

Sold PBR @ 70 after making a quick 20. Now its at 116.
[censored] [censored]

ahnuld 11-12-2007 10:36 AM

someone wanna tell me why etrade, which released the news just after market closed and traded after hours for some time, is down basically 40% today? I mean, their ongoing business has alot of value, that seems crazy to me.

ahnuld 11-12-2007 10:50 AM

alright, bought some etrade jan 7.50$ calls for .40 a contract. Good price, major potential to the upside for a small cost.

ItalianFX 11-12-2007 11:06 AM

I just read a report that said ETrade may have to file for bankruptcy protection. It's down 50% today.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-12-2007 11:06 AM

etrade has a 15% chance of going busto according to citi

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-12-2007 11:08 AM

Are the stocks I hold in my e-trade account at risk?

ahnuld 11-12-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are the stocks I hold in my e-trade account at risk?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure its all FDIC and CDIC insured but I too would like some verification.

krishan 11-12-2007 01:36 PM

Anyone know a good way to scan lots of companies quarterly summaries rapidly. In particular I'm looking for companies that miss quarterly guidance/consensus.

Thanks,

Krishan

Jimbo 11-12-2007 05:58 PM

I use stockscreeners but have never seen one that can discern analyst estimates vs actual earnings. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist though. They will screen many other factors. Two good free ones are here and here.

Jimbo

dazraf69 11-12-2007 08:35 PM

Any ideas on how to invest in the UAE. I have tried googling but didn't come up with much. Preferably an index type fund. Country seems to not get much attention but is growing fast. Any ideas or thoughts?

Ron Burgundy 11-13-2007 09:00 AM

This is from the Q3 report for ALDA:

[ QUOTE ]
Our selling, general and administrative (SG&A) expense was higher in the current quarter as compared to the comparable quarter of 2006 predominantly due to expenses related to our modified Dutch auction Tender Offer, which closed on September 28, 2007 in which 370,845 shares were tendered," said Mr. Mathewson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could someone plz explain wtf this means? thx

ahnuld 11-13-2007 10:01 AM

they bought back shares and it was expensive? just a guess, but they should state how much was from that anyways

Ron Burgundy 11-13-2007 10:29 AM

hmmm... then there's this part, which has confusd me even more:

[ QUOTE ]
In the 2007 third quarter the Company repurchased 12,662 shares of its common stock under the Company's previously announced Stock Repurchase Plan ('Plan'). That Plan was terminated upon the announcement of the Dutch auction Tender Offer on August 20, 2007," Mr. Mathewson said.

"Our total balance of cash, cash equivalents and restricted cash at September 30, 2007 remains strong at $17.7 million after paying $2.5 million in dividends, spending $5.1 million on our capital spending program and $486,000 repurchasing 32,661 shares of Aldila common stock during the nine month period ended September 30, 2007. Of this cash balance, $6.2 million was used to settle the Company's Dutch auction Tender Offer during the first week of October. Although our inventories have risen to $16.1 million at the end of the 2007 third quarter, we fully expect them to be reduced by year end," said Mr. Mathewson.

[/ QUOTE ]

CrushinFelt 11-13-2007 11:30 AM

What is confusing about it?

Ron Burgundy 11-13-2007 01:49 PM

It's the phrase "Dutch Auction Tender Offer" that I don't understand.

CrushinFelt 11-13-2007 01:57 PM

Rather than offering a certain dollar amount for shares for a buyback, the firm is going to start the bidding off high and slowly decrease the dollar amount until they are done buying. Maybe they have a certain dollar amount they want to spend or maybe it's a certain number of shares they want to buy back.

whyzze 11-14-2007 05:02 PM

are there any CFA's out there that could answer a few questions for me about the certification and stuff?

Jestli 11-15-2007 05:04 PM

is RIMM a good buy at 101.5

Jimbo 11-15-2007 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is RIMM a good buy at 101.5

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, unless it goes lower. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Ok that was my one liner, I like the Dec 106.63 calls (RULLA).

Jimbo

SlowHabit 11-17-2007 04:42 PM

Has anyone taken the Series 65 Exam? Reading the exam specs, it doesn't look too hard.

For those who have taken it, are there a lot of calculations? I hope not because I suck at it.

CrushinFelt 11-18-2007 02:02 AM

I made a thread hoping for help with this but it got locked. This is low content so I'm sure it's fine.

I really need a CD called "Found" by O.A.R. (Of A Revolution). I can't find it anywhere. I think it came out as a Christmas Special about 2 or 3 years ago.

If anyone can find it for me there is some $ involved.

Help me out BFI friends

Edit: It's for a friend of mine for a Christmas gift.

Cross-posting in Omaha forums... PLZ HELPPADFJHLKJDSHF

CrushinFelt 11-18-2007 03:48 AM

come on bitches i'll pay double whatever price you find

john kane 11-18-2007 02:25 PM

would i be completely bonkers to do this:

i have £110k saved up from poker, would it be mad to go for an big gamble on gold, by setting aside £50k and putting £500 on a $1 swing in the price of gold? thus stop loss/busto at $685 (currently at $785)?

would this be utterly wreckless? i am thinking definitely so hence i likely won't but it's [censored] tempting to given there is a lot of confidence in the price of gold for the coming couple of years, and if so I want to do as well as I can out of it.

hanster 11-21-2007 03:47 AM

Dubai giant EMAAR is looking to buy a US homebuilder company, or at least purchase a majority stake in it. CNBC speculates the following three companies:
CTX
MDC
TOL

Thoughts?

CrushinFelt 11-21-2007 12:03 PM

ATTN MARKET:

W T F ARE YOU DOING?

Someone loan me a fe wmillion dollars so I can chuck it in the market.

dazraf69 11-21-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dubai giant EMAAR is looking to buy a US homebuilder company, or at least purchase a majority stake in it. CNBC speculates the following three companies:
CTX
MDC
TOL

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any ideas on investing in UAE? An index type fund?

SlowHabit 11-22-2007 09:39 PM

Has anyone read "Mosaic: Perspectives on Investing?" The current price for the book on Amazon is $399.

ALReturnsLOL 11-22-2007 10:24 PM

hey guys, I do some contracting work in Canada and I recieved a check in CAD. I need to get it cashed, but my local bank refuses to do it. Do you guys know where I could get this cashed?

ahnuld 11-23-2007 02:35 PM

that ridiculous that your bank wont take it. I may be wrong but you could always open up a Canadian denominated account. Or demand to speak to a manager and such

dazraf69 11-23-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey guys, I do some contracting work in Canada and I recieved a check in CAD. I need to get it cashed, but my local bank refuses to do it. Do you guys know where I could get this cashed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give some details as to why your bank will not cash it(usually a bank will cash it but put a hold on it till it clears)? How about opening up a bank account at a larger/international bank?

renodoc 11-25-2007 12:33 AM

wtf when i go to borders or B & N or even buckey's the books/cd's are priced like: $15.95 US $19.95 CAN

total pwnage

(ahnuld- i dont post here much (read: ever) if this isnt the type of thing for this thread, please delete it)

ahnuld 11-25-2007 12:41 AM

yeah they are super slow to adjust prices. It pisses me off because data just came out this week for september retail sales in canada. Due to the dollars huge run and the fact that they cant adjust prices quickly it caused a .7% month over month drop in auto sales and 2.2% drop in tech products. As a result overall retail numbers looked bad and my retailer got killed even though it buys inputs in the US and doesnt sell the type of good that people who buy in the USA instead of canada

chisness 11-25-2007 01:00 PM

Why does everyone recommend Vanguard for index funds? Fidelity's expense ratio is 0.10% to Vanguard's 0.19% from what I can tell.

john voight 11-25-2007 07:19 PM

maybe factors other than .09% diff in expence ratio play a role.

also im guessing ratios are diff for different funds, and fidelity is not lower in all comparable funds. IDK though..

ybother 11-25-2007 07:48 PM

can someone give thier advice on investor tool seminars, I saw one for the tools from success magazine, but the hard sell of it made me skeptical, fwiw it looked like a combination of techincal and fundamental anyalsis...

chisness 11-25-2007 07:59 PM

voight, yeah i didn't look into all the funds, but the total index had the 0.1 to 0.19 and has had slightly higher returns for all of the periods i checked (10, 5, 3, etc.)

Jestli 11-26-2007 01:19 AM

anyone think the S&P could hit 1495 by friday ?

hanster 11-26-2007 02:57 AM

ybother,
i went to one of their seminars and was also turned away by the hard-sell. That is also the first thing they're going to try to sell to you; their main product is for options trading from what i've heard and that's couple thousand grands more each year or so.

ahnuld 11-26-2007 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone think the S&P could hit 1495 by friday ?

[/ QUOTE ]

very possible, but I just bought some dec 1400 puts so my money is on no. Well more specifically, my money is on no rate cut and the market tanks as a result.