Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   would Jesus have been good at poker? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531223)

diddyeinstein 10-26-2007 11:44 AM

Re: would Jesus have been good at poker?

[ QUOTE ]

More info on Ken's strategy can be found here http://www.cheat-at-poker.com/ , it worked for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. Apparently step #1 is to collude. I wonder what step #2 is, I'll get an email tomorrow.

Suigin406 10-26-2007 11:46 AM

the better quesiton is could jesus overcome the doomswitch from full tilt??

SABR42 10-26-2007 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Seems to me that all the bravado and silly talk about God is stupid. If you are correct and there is no God, you gain nothing when you die. If you are wrong and there is a God, you taunted and dis-respected the being that created the universe. Seems like a stupid free-roll when eternity is the stake you have on the table...

[/ QUOTE ]
What if you chose to believe in the wrong god/gods?

Mike Kelley 10-26-2007 11:59 AM

Least you gave yourself a chance to win I guess.

SABR42 10-26-2007 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Least you gave yourself a chance to win I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now suppose there is a "God" out there who only sends atheists to heaven.

Now who's free-rolling?

This is not to say I believe in such a "God," just showing you how flawed Pascal's wager is.

Landlord79 10-26-2007 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seems to me that all the bravado and silly talk about God is stupid. If you are correct and there is no God, you gain nothing when you die. If you are wrong and there is a God, you taunted and dis-respected the being that created the universe. Seems like a stupid free-roll when eternity is the stake you have on the table...

[/ QUOTE ]

The hard part about Christianity that people refuse to see is, you don't have to reach this far of an extreme to be cast out of heaven at judgment. The way is narrow and the more you read the entire word the more you see this.

Josh McDowell at one point was an atheist. In trying to disprove the legitimacy of Christ, he proved it to himself and wrote about it.

FWIW - Jesus still is the ultimate, non-tracable super-user, FTW.

davidlong14 10-26-2007 12:09 PM

Jesus = the OG Super-User...

SABR42 10-26-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Josh McDowell at one point was an atheist. In trying to disprove the legitimacy of Christ, he proved it to himself and wrote about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
And many adults who were brought up as Christians abandoned Christianity after reading the Bible thoroughly, so what's your point?

Landlord79 10-26-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freewill is a tricky thing. W/O freewill we would not have the opportunity to choose our eternal status. If you choose to believe in Christ, he offers you a free gift, but you have to reach out and accept it.

If you choose something else, I pray that at least one of us is right.

Landlord79 10-26-2007 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And many adults who were brought up as Christians abandoned Christianity after reading the Bible thoroughly, so what's your point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many are called, but few are chosen... I'm just replying with credible authors here. McDowell used more sources than just the Bible. He looked at all literature both religious and secular.

SABR42 10-26-2007 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Freewill is a tricky thing. W/O freewill we would not have the opportunity to choose our eternal status.

[/ QUOTE ]
If God knows everything in advance, there is no such thing as free will.

[ QUOTE ]
If you choose to believe in Christ, he offers you a free gift, but you have to reach out and accept it.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you reach out to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, his holy noodly appendage will touch you and you will be blessed.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I'll think for you too.

Landlord79 10-26-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Freewill is a tricky thing. W/O freewill we would not have the opportunity to choose our eternal status.

[/ QUOTE ]
If God knows everything in advance, there is no such thing as free will.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing and effecting are 2 different things. Christ knew he would die on the cross before He created the world, yet He created it anyway. The thing to meditate on is why did He suffer and die, that we might become what?

SABR42 10-26-2007 12:25 PM

Actually free will is an illusion anyway, but that's another matter.

[ QUOTE ]
Christ knew he would die on the cross before He created the world, yet He created it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you have proof of the bolded part?

Everything else is meaningless if you cannot prove that premise in the first place.

brianpower 10-26-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freewill is a tricky thing. W/O freewill we would not have the opportunity to choose our eternal status. If you choose to believe in Christ, he offers you a free gift, but you have to reach out and accept it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pray to who?

I guess you're looking forward to laughing it up in heavan with all the other christians while the other 90% of humanitiy are suffering endless torment in hell. And of course we deserve to burn in hell for rejecting Jesus, because if he puts us there we must deserve it because Jesus can do no wrong.

Now excuse while I finish building my alter to Thor.

SABR42 10-26-2007 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Zeus and Poseidon won't be too pleased with that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

brianpower 10-26-2007 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Zeus and Poseidon won't be too pleased with that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the genius of polythesism.

Roman: who are building that tempele to?
Barbarian: Uga, the God of the Love.
Roman: Cool, We call her Aphrodite, wanna hand?
Barbarian: Yeah sure, grab a shovel.

Christian: who are building that tempele to?
Barbarian: Uga, the God of the Love.
Christian: Die!!! you devil worshipping piece of [censored] [censored], you're gonna burn forever you [censored].

SABR42 10-26-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pardon the nit-pick, but isn't Venus the Roman version of Aphrodite?

Otherwise good post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

brianpower 10-26-2007 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pardon the nit-pick, but isn't Venus the Roman version of Aphrodite?

Otherwise good post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man, I always get confused with the greek\roman names.

isapistola 10-26-2007 01:18 PM

this thread is a major beat. all religious people are stupid (as they believe in an imaginary creature).

JROK777 10-26-2007 04:07 PM

this thread is a major beat. all religious people are stupid (as they believe in an imaginary creature).

We'll he's not imaginary, he lived on this planet a while back. Let's say that Jesus was just a man, nothing more. I'll bet that you know very little about him. I'll also bet you know the lyrics to a million songs but cannot recite one qoute from Jesus. Even if his story is all B.S., it's an amazing drama. He was a political rebel and an outcast. He was guilty of no crime and was brutally killed anyway. He had heart, courage and conviction...I like that. If Jesus were alive today He would be exactly the type of person I would want to surround myself with. Someone that is generous, honest, helpful and truthful are the making for a great friend. If you read any of his parables I dare you to find the fault in them. You can't because they are perfect. Organized religion just like man can be corrupt and wrong. It's in our nature, we can't keep from putting ourselves first. Just because I don't like all the things that religion does, doesn't mean I'm going to reject the truth. It shines like the sun and is just as reliable.

hrududu 10-26-2007 04:20 PM

this thread started out funny, then went way downhill.

Acemanhattan 10-26-2007 06:37 PM

Zechariah 8:9 This is what the Lord of armies has said: Let your hands be strong .

1 Thessalonians 4:11 and that you make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, even as we instructed you.

I love Jesus, and am sure he would be good at poker, but It sure as heck sounds like he woulda been a NIT.

[thread revived?]

hrududu 10-26-2007 06:42 PM

lol, yes much better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

hrududu 10-26-2007 07:52 PM

Here's some very sound advice from the old testament:

Exodus 26:9
Join five of the curtains together into one set (draw to a flush) and the other six into another set (another player gets a higher flush). Fold the sixth curtain double at the front of the tent (fold on the river when the board pairs).

TheRenaissance 10-26-2007 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread started out funny, then went way downhill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mea culpa. I broke BBV's 7th commandment, Thou Shalt Not Post Strat Or Be Dead Serious About Stuff.
Sorry.

excession 10-27-2007 06:20 AM

I recall he lost 10,000 souls to the Devil in the Chris De Burgh song 'The Spanish Train' ..but the Devil did cheat...

jcg2005 10-27-2007 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

We'll he's not imaginary, he lived on this planet a while back. Let's say that Jesus was just a man, nothing more. I'll bet that you know very little about him. I'll also bet you know the lyrics to a million songs but cannot recite one qoute from Jesus. Even if his story is all B.S., it's an amazing drama. He was a political rebel and an outcast. He was guilty of no crime and was brutally killed anyway. He had heart, courage and conviction...I like that. If Jesus were alive today He would be exactly the type of person I would want to surround myself with. Someone that is generous, honest, helpful and truthful are the making for a great friend. If you read any of his parables I dare you to find the fault in them. You can't because they are perfect. Organized religion just like man can be corrupt and wrong. It's in our nature, we can't keep from putting ourselves first. Just because I don't like all the things that religion does, doesn't mean I'm going to reject the truth. It shines like the sun and is just as reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit im not all there right now, but i enjoyed this post sorta....

Hume 10-27-2007 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at "The Gospel of Thomas". Written a 150 years after Jesus, as opposed to the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, written by Jesus' contemporaries, none later than 65 AD. Some gnostic group put it out as the "secret" sayings of Jesus, 'cause they were into secret stuff. They thought it was cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you forget is that back then people lived hundreds of years.

PVR 10-27-2007 07:26 AM

Well his mother could obviously pull off a good bluff so who knows?

STA654 10-27-2007 07:33 AM

He'd be able to destroy jerry yang, for sure.

Piece of Cake 10-27-2007 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is this? Did he pitch for the Whitesox?

Is dying on the cross when you're the almighty sort of like stacking off light when you're on a 100% stake?

Piece of Cake 10-27-2007 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well his mother could obviously pull off a good bluff so who knows?

[/ QUOTE ]
wow. nh.

Piece of Cake 10-27-2007 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the nature of telling people to take things on faith as opposed to logically reasoning them out what causes religion to be a breeding ground for corruption, misuse, and unfortunately war?

A lot of what Jesus says makes sense, not because it's the word of Jesus, but because there's a logical reason for it. Religion is the opposite of teaching people how to fish. Instead of showing people how to logically rationalize what's right and wrong, they're taught to take things on faith - thus left wide open to be mislead by misinterpretations of this so-called will of God.

AKA Squared 10-27-2007 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like the old Jewish saying, if I knew God, I would be God. I find this intriguing and an obvious reason why it was deemed heretical. Perhaps it is just mystical-bs but at least the intent ('to learn, to know') is better than the Bible ('to believe, to worship').

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of something from an early mystical Christian writing, "We shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is".

Oh, wait, that's the Bible.

There's a LOT more going on in orthodox Christianity than many orthodox Christians know, let alone what you know.

Which means you aren't qualified to make the kind of pronouncements you've been making.

apefish 10-30-2007 12:00 AM

Yes imo.

DanielDayLewis 10-30-2007 12:03 AM

This is a tough question.

He is the son of God, but I think he can't lie. Sorta like could God make a cookie so big even he couldn't eat it.

I dunno, I'd flip a coin.