Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   uNL 1 year report card (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=529529)

carnivalhobo 10-24-2007 01:28 AM

Re: uNL 1 year report card

from what ive seen the forum seems to be maturing, the biggest problem is getting quality posters to stay here (for obvious poker related reasons).

Some kind of mod led initiative to get ssnl/msnl posters come in here and just respond to like 10-20 threads would be smart.

drsmooth 10-24-2007 01:47 AM

a. Traffic- Do you feel as if you hand gets lost too fast, or does it receive appropiate responses.

My NL25 posts seem to get more attention than NL10 ones. Perhaps some think NL10 is too elementary, I don't know. Traffic seems very good though and most things get a decent amount of attention

b. Quality of the advice
Good. Certainly helped me imporve aspects of my game. Often advice in the same thread completely differs though, which would be nice if the result was a thoughtful debate though this is rare. One person thinks A, another thinks B, and no consensus is reached.

c. Quality of the moderation- What policies would you like to see changed or implemented?

I don't mind. Iron-fist, laissez-faire... as long as the advice and content is good.

d. Other suggestions
I always enjoy reding strategy article-type threads. Normally the ones in the main magazine aren't all that applicable.

EMc 10-24-2007 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
from what ive seen the forum seems to be maturing, the biggest problem is getting quality posters to stay here (for obvious poker related reasons).

Some kind of mod led initiative to get ssnl/msnl posters come in here and just respond to like 10-20 threads would be smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this for a while, its hard to get people to consistantly come down.

ShipitFMA 10-24-2007 01:53 AM

A - I find the traffic between when i go to sleep and wake up is heavy (Australian times) often there will be 80-100 new posts i have to fight through to get back to the ones i was previously discussing before bed.

That being said I find the good post's in uNL don't get sufficient responses whilst the ones that are "Do i fold KK preflop" get HEAPS which annoys me alot

2 - This can vary really, generally the advice given lacks any explanation at all, which i myself can be guilty of at times. I do think there are far too many one line responses that do absolutely nothing in regards to advice

3 - I don't really have much to say on the topic, i guess i find alot of the stupid threads about nothing get locked quickly which is good

4 - I don't really have any suggestions but i've found recently uNL has kinda sucked. I really want all of the bull [censored] post's to stop, they clog the forum up ALOT. I doubt there is any way's to enforce it, maybe temp bans (probably too extreme) for people who create post's against the forum rules or against posting rules.

^^ This is not as a punishment, but more as a forceful way to make sure they read the uNL guidelines

EMc 10-24-2007 01:56 AM

wrt to 4,

I asked Mat if we could do that, he asked me to first warn te posters and point it out then I can ban.

ShipitFMA 10-24-2007 02:01 AM

Do you find its become ridiculous EMc, that amount of times i open the forums and see a legitimate post with 1 reply and then right above it a "check my EV graph boys" with 10 replies is too many to count

EMc 10-24-2007 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you find its become ridiculous EMc, that amount of times i open the forums and see a legitimate post with 1 reply and then right above it a "check my EV graph boys" with 10 replies is too many to count

[/ QUOTE ]

I have, and thats part of the reason we added ama and orange. I dont have as much time as I used to (im getting a little more now, that might change, who knows). I lock every one of those and give the poster a PM (usually) about why and dont do it again. My biggest concern when this forum was opened was that it would become a wasteland of poor posts getting too many responses and good posts either non-existant or being ignored. Hence the reason I usually lock posts too that are so basic.

It is my goal as both a moderator and user of this forum to keep it as high as it can be in terms of content, but also realizing what this forum is designed for. Its a fine line.

Edited to add: When we switch over to the new software we as mods have more tools wrt to warnings and such that will make things better I think.

ShipitFMA 10-24-2007 02:25 AM

Thinking about it now, i can't really think of any way to rid uNL of all these types of posts, its just so frustrating having to read so many 1 line responses before i acutlaly see one post with decent content.

But i guess alot of the posters who share my views have established contacts with other uNL members outside of the forums (thru aim, msn etc..) which can help with it. Still doesn't beat having a decent forum though

EMc 10-24-2007 02:31 AM

Ive I could be here 24/7 and such I would, but we cant. Mods have lives and need sleep yo!

ShipitFMA 10-24-2007 02:36 AM

lol, im not suggesting anything or saying you're not doing a good job. Im just saying i can't really see a solution to it. Anyway, hopefully something comes up as i'll be playing ALOT more in 3 weeks after my exams are over

Micro Donk 10-24-2007 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said I find the good post's in uNL don't get sufficient responses whilst the ones that are "Do i fold KK preflop" get HEAPS which annoys me alot

[/ QUOTE ]

because the answer is easy at the KK topic, and everyone wants a chance to look smart by giving the right answer. they wuold be more of a risk of being wrong and looking dumb in the good posts. but its that attitude...psychology gets into it...

ShipitFMA 10-24-2007 02:42 AM

yeah i understand that, i figure alot of it is "oh sweet, another easy post to add to my number of posts tally". Annoys the hell out of me

Micro Donk 10-24-2007 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i understand that, i figure alot of it is "oh sweet, another easy post to add to my number of posts tally". Annoys the hell out of me

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, but it happens bout everywhere, so oh well..

ShipitFMA 10-24-2007 02:46 AM

they should just post in the brew and uNL bbv [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Micro Donk 10-24-2007 02:49 AM

thats what i do obv.

ShipitFMA 10-24-2007 02:51 AM

wowowow, you do indeed, only regoed 2 months ago

Micro Donk 10-24-2007 02:53 AM

i dont even keep up, i just make a post when i feel like it, and apparently it adds up. mostly brew n micro forum...also BBV, NVG, tv poker, B&M...bout it

Woody317 10-24-2007 03:33 AM

Having only recently joined the forum i have to say the major problem is the advice. There is definitely good advice in here but for a new poster it's pretty tough to figure out which it is.

The only thing i could suggest is possibly a tread in the FAQ with a list of generally good posters.

Maybe recommend new posters to read a few of their posts and get a jist of how to play.

Micro Donk 10-24-2007 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having only recently joined the forum i have to say the major problem is the advice. There is definitely good advice in here but for a new poster it's pretty tough to figure out which it is.

The only thing i could suggest is possibly a tread in the FAQ with a list of generally good posters.

Maybe recommend new posters to read a few of their posts and get a jist of how to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokey

orange 10-24-2007 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. It's a bit difficult to come down here as often as I'd like (as the responsibilities of SSNL come first), but I would definitely like this. (If more ssnl/msnl regs came down here).

TheChad 10-24-2007 07:05 AM

bump unl mods. your job must suck at times. keep it up.

that is all.

CowsFTW 10-24-2007 07:18 AM

a. A little bit too much, but not very annoying.
b. A lot of bad advice, but there are posters that correct those. So you have to take things with a grain of salt sometimes.
c. Not too much/little moderation going on. Annoying topics get locked pretty fast.

corsakh 10-24-2007 08:33 AM

What I think we need is reputation bar for strategy forums and advice (without mixing BBV and OOT in here).

This way noobs would know who is who and much easier to filter. I myself often read MSNL but am usually lost since I don't know who to listen to. From what I see there, just because someone plays MSNL it does not mean he knows how many outs a flush draw has on a flop.

If the reputation thing could also be adjusted to the reputation of the marker that be awesome - say if I get a plus from Pokey I get +20 to my rep. If I get a + from gelford I obviously get only +0.00001 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

TheChad 10-24-2007 08:49 AM

good idea corsakh

fees 10-24-2007 08:49 AM

worked for me.. gj uNL

Nemesis69 10-24-2007 09:18 AM

uNL is doing a good job. I do think posters should THINK before they post and make sure they post something usefull.

CobraGoat 10-24-2007 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I think we need is reputation bar for strategy forums and advice (without mixing BBV and OOT in here).

This way noobs would know who is who and much easier to filter. I myself often read MSNL but am usually lost since I don't know who to listen to. From what I see there, just because someone plays MSNL it does not mean he knows how many outs a flush draw has on a flop.

If the reputation thing could also be adjusted to the reputation of the marker that be awesome - say if I get a plus from Pokey I get +20 to my rep. If I get a + from gelford I obviously get only +0.00001 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this although Im not sure how we could realistically implement it. I think a rating feedback system would cause a lot of things to happen. I think it would make people think more before they posted. And I obviously think it would help everyone have a better idea of who they should be listening to on here. Also, maybe a rating system would itself attract more of the upper eschelon SSNL and MSNL players to comment and judge.

traz 10-24-2007 11:58 AM

I'm not sure how well a rating system would work, but I think having ssnl/msnl guys regularly posting helps alot.

I try whenever I can...but really, the amount of threads that get cycled make it a bit of a headache for me, especially since I make it a point to read all SSNL threads first as a priority.

I think there'd be alot of benefits in having a few concentrated threads...digests, threads of the week, Article of the week, wells, etc. Those things really need to be kickstarted by mods though, even if they're not the ones making the actual threads.

On the whole I think the forum is pretty solid and in alot of ways it makes me smile when I can see certain players actually start to think differently and improve.

Pokerdemic 10-24-2007 12:11 PM

If I have any suggestions, it is for the mods to explain why a thread is locked just before they lock it. uNL can be the next stopping point after the beginners forum, and telling someone why a thread gets locked helps them not repeat the same mistake.

Spurious 10-24-2007 12:36 PM

Why would we wanna "install" a rating system?
I think it would be bad overall...

Disconnected 10-24-2007 01:01 PM

Unfortunately not as much time to post these days, but still try to lurk, so take answers with a grain of salt.

a. Traffic- Do you feel as if you hand gets lost too fast, or does it receive appropiate responses.
Traffic is higher than ideal, but much better than having no traffic at all. I've noticed that often good responses in threads get ignored, even if there are a lot of responses to an OP.

b. Quality of the advice
The signal to noise ratio is pretty low (a lot of non-helpful content to good stuff), but I think that the really bad advice does get called out. It's a forum where you wouldn't expect the posters to have all the answers, so I think that in the end there is some super quality advice compared to the stakes the forum serves.

c. Quality of the moderation- What policies would you like to see changed or implemented?
I think the mods do a great job. Not only is this a high traffic forum, but being at the bottom of the stakes, it's where noobs are going to find their way....poker as well as forum noobs. It's generally thankless, and they're also doing this voluntarily. Awesome.

If anything, I would like to see the prohibition of one-line responses more firmly enforced, especially for posters who don't also give more thought-out responses elsewhere. Guys who generally explain their thought processes become pretty obvious, and if those guys also give some one-liners occasionally, that's cool.

Finally, this is a pretty respectful forum for the most part. I don't know how much of that is a direct result of the mods' work, but it has to be at least in some part due to that. Not saying there are no harsh/direct comments, but they don't seem to come out of left field or be really inflammatory and baseless. And for the most part, where there could be some harsh comments, usually people hold off on them.

ICMoney 10-24-2007 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there'd be alot of benefits in having a few concentrated threads...digests, threads of the week, Article of the week, wells, etc. Those things really need to be kickstarted by mods though, even if they're not the ones making the actual threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a post suggesting this about a week ago.

The next day it got buried.

Hopefully you guys save it and are saving your tasty bookmarks.

felipe71arg 10-24-2007 02:00 PM

a. Traffic ok, some hands can get lost fast (maybe standard hands)
b. very good, excelent if any ssnl regular post
c. moderation ok, but a little bit hard some times imho
d. improve the stickes maybe

EMc 10-24-2007 02:04 PM

wrt to a digest:

It is a long standing uNL policy just PM me, tell me the time frame, post it, and you earn a custom title.

wrt to rep:

The new software has this feature. We are still working out the kinks as to how to implement it.

4_2_it 10-24-2007 02:54 PM

ed and ama,

While I do not post here often, I do lurk. It seems that uNL has blossomed into an excellent community for the smallest stakes NL player to learn the game. I wish such a forum would have existed when I started playing NL.

Congratulations to both of you (and of course AJ).

We should get with AJ and redo the overall uNL and SSNL stickies once the new softawre hits (that way we can be sure that all the links work).

Finally, I hope that many uNL posters will be able to join us in Vegas next year (late June early July timeframe based upon latest 2008 WSOP tenative schedule).

Well Done Gentlemen!

RedSoxFan 10-24-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this seems to be an issue- why keep track of post? When I first registered- I regarded someone with more post as a more learned player- now I just regard them as someone who writes too many one liners.

TheChad 10-25-2007 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wrt to a digest:
It is a long standing uNL policy just PM me, tell me the time frame, post it, and you earn a custom title.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? that's all it takes?

DiamondDog 10-25-2007 02:17 AM

I lurk way more than I post.

As a noob, I love this forum.

It's a place I can come to read about hands - there's way too much traffic, but that's OK, i don't try to keep up with it all - and if some of the advice is poor (which is inevitable) there's nearly always discussion of differing viewpoints. It encourages me to THINK about poker.

I was still a limit player when the split took place so I can't comment on how it changed things.