Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The San Diego Fires (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=528503)

Ikaika 10-22-2007 02:20 PM

Re: The San Diego Fires

why in the world would anyone refuse to evacuate for a fire? Its not like you just climb up to the second floor to avoid it like you can with water...

IggyWH 10-22-2007 02:20 PM

Latest report on NBC says 8-10k at QUALCOMM. I only live a few miles do.wn the road so I might swing by to see if I can volunteer

NLSoldier 10-22-2007 02:22 PM

this is pretty messed up. you can smell the smoke or w/e all the way over here on the beach.

tuq 10-22-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why in the world would anyone refuse to evacuate for a fire? Its not like you just climb up to the second floor to avoid it like you can with water...

[/ QUOTE ]
Well yeah, but if the evacuation zone is unreasonably large I could see some out of a group of tens of thousands saying "eff it, that thing is never going to reach me", particularly if they have nowhere to go, e.g. are elderly or infirm.

Ikaika 10-22-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Latest report on NBC says 8-10k at QUALCOMM. I only live a few miles do.wn the road so I might swing by to see if I can volunteer

[/ QUOTE ]

Respek.

Freakin 10-22-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/4666/thorul6.jpg

Sponger. 10-22-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my GF's parents live in the evac zone (in the picture). how crazy is it down there right now? Should i call them or just email them?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you know exactly where they live you can go to www.cbs8.com and google map all the streets they know of that have burned houses and compare that. the closer they live to major streets/freeways and the further west they are the better.

Ikaika 10-22-2007 03:12 PM

damn my a/c isn't even keeping the smell of the fires out of my place, it freaking reeks in here.

rjoefish 10-22-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn my a/c isn't even keeping the smell of the fires out of my place, it freaking reeks in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the A/C keep the smell of fire out? Doesn't it draw air from the outside to use?

Ikaika 10-22-2007 03:15 PM

I have it on recirculate ldo.

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the A/C keep the smell of fire out? Doesn't it draw air from the outside to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

most ac units have some sort of air filter on them. And alot of towns around SD are telling us to run them, but all it does it let the very small particulates in, so its really worthless

uclabruinz 10-22-2007 03:19 PM

I am in Poway, still waiting on a mandatory evac. If they say go, I will go. If they don't, I will stay. We're actually in a sorta clear spot, bright blue skies straight above. Wall of grey smoke right over the hill in back of our house. Kind of surreal.

felson 10-22-2007 03:21 PM

I'm in the southwest corner of the evac zone, so I'm staying with friends at UCSD tonight. I don't think I'm at much risk, but I'm worried about my friends who live east.

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 03:29 PM

ucla, what part of poway?

uclabruinz 10-22-2007 03:31 PM

Rancho Arbolitos

CrazyEyez 10-22-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am in Poway, still waiting on a mandatory evac. If they say go, I will go. If they don't, I will stay. We're actually in a sorta clear spot, bright blue skies straight above. Wall of grey smoke right over the hill in back of our house. Kind of surreal.

[/ QUOTE ]
All of Poway isn't being evacuated? The north end and into RB is ablaze, no? I know Pomerado Hospital evacuated.

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
All of Poway isn't being evacuated? The north end and into RB is ablaze, no? I know Pomerado Hospital evacuated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet. i'm in the southern part, right below hw56. Poway does stretch pretty far north bordering RB, but I am just south of RPQ, which has been evaced

GinaSD 10-22-2007 04:32 PM

Carmel valley here- I must be very close to the one poster who said his mom was a few blocks from the southwest corner of the evac. zone.

I have to say, I'm not evacuating yet either. Fires are a good distance from here, and aside from the horrific stench, we're in no immediate danger.

The Highlands shopping center is still open, and the grocery store (ralphs)is a disaster. Traffic on Del Mar Heights rd. is heavier than normal, but not stopped.

jedi 10-22-2007 04:52 PM

Student teaching at Carlsbad High School. Even as far away as we are, the air quality is awful. Everyone wanted to cancel classes, but the superintendent wouldn't do it. Many teachers were evacuated from their own homes, classes weren't being covered.

School IS cancelled for tomorrow though. I live in Oceanside, not a problem for me.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

uclabruinz 10-22-2007 04:55 PM

That superitendent should be canned when this is all over. Having school today was BEYOND stupid.

They just added another huge evac area, mostly Scripps Ranch. So basically, I appear to be in a 3 mile pocket or so that isn't being evacuated. Crazy. Hope it lasts. I really don't want to leave.

CrazyEyez 10-22-2007 04:58 PM

ucla - If you have to evac, where will you even go? You can't get on 15 right there, right? Do you have to get on 56? It must be a parking lot.

GinaSD 10-22-2007 05:01 PM

looks like some of the first shelters are now full.. the mira mesa high school, del mar fairgrounds...

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That superitendent should be canned when this is all over. Having school today was BEYOND stupid.

They just added another huge evac area, mostly Scripps Ranch. So basically, I appear to be in a 3 mile pocket or so that isn't being evacuated. Crazy. Hope it lasts. I really don't want to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm in that same pocket Here is a map of burn areas and expected evacuation LINK

I'm not exactly sure where Rancho Arbilitos is.

uclabruinz 10-22-2007 05:05 PM

Well I was going to go out through Scripps Ranch, but with them now getting like another 30k people plus out of that area, not sure how I will go, if I end up having to leave. Maybe up Poway Road and then down the 67 through Lakeside, although I hear there are fires out there as well.

This is insane.

XXXNoahXXX 10-22-2007 05:07 PM

ucla,

go rent an RV and park it in a walmart parking lot.

uclabruinz 10-22-2007 05:08 PM

Melchy, I am near the Target/Outback center. If you take a right onto Twin Peaks from Ted Williams, I am in the neighborhood then to the left. Where are you?

If you want to keep in touch with someone, you can PM me and I will give you my AIM and email addy.

jedi 10-22-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rumor has it that the superintendent has a business background and didn't want to lose the money for canceling school for a day. ALL the teachers were bitching about him today.

Oh, by the way, my favorite part of the day was when the Principal got on the intercom at 11:30 and announced that school would continue for today (groans by the students). Then a minute afterwards, they said that Homecoming tickets would not be sold today "because of the weather."

Momo 10-22-2007 05:17 PM

Ucla that is probably a bad spot as Pomerado, which is right down the road, is being evacuated. I am wondering if I will be able to get out on the 8 and head to AZ or not.

uclabruinz 10-22-2007 05:21 PM

Momo,

Yeah, if you are talking about Pomerado Hosp that's been going on for a few hours, and is "precautionary." I still think this may go around me.

As for the 8, no idea but I know that I have a couple friends out toward Alpine and they are under an immediate standby for evacuation.

HOWMANY 10-22-2007 05:23 PM

How does this compare to the fire we had in fall 03? That happened during my senior year of high school and I think school was canceled for the whole week. I remember air quality was terrible and the sky was orange for a long time.

Momo 10-22-2007 05:24 PM

Im in Del Mar right now, and the news is telling me that there is a voluntary evacuation going on now. I have a house in LV and in tempe and trying to figure out which one to head to. My best guess is LV, but I'd have to go up the 5 and all the way around and in the end, im not sure if the fires up in LA would block us from going there.

Momo 10-22-2007 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does this compare to the fire we had in fall 03? That happened during my senior year of high school and I think school was canceled for the whole week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much much worse. Probably going to go down as the worst fire in SD history.

Caldarooni 10-22-2007 05:24 PM

You guys can come sleep on my floor at Wind N' Sea.

Momo 10-22-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WSR what?

MelchyBeau 10-22-2007 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 evacuee meetup?

fusting1234 10-22-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 evacuee slumberparty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keepitsimple 10-22-2007 05:50 PM

How is it east of Torrey Pines High School?

BrunoThePug 10-22-2007 06:03 PM

I can recall being about 9 or 10 living in Manhattan Beach, CA when Malibu was on fire and ash was falling like snow from the sky while I played outside with friends.

I hope any 2+2'ers or those with family in the area stay safe.

GinaSD 10-22-2007 06:45 PM

idiot film crews..

this kind of stuff pisses me off.

newscrew standing in rancho bernardo neighborhood. they show a cul-de-sac where two houses have burned and are now shells.. and mention that the firetrucks have moved on- although there is still some sporadic burning in the two houses.

the cameras pan over the lawns, and as they do they show a teeny tiny flame starting at the base of a tree (trying to recall the name used for the decorative wood shavings placed at the bases of trees- very flammable).

So one of these tinders has just started to flame. The reporter mentions how very dangerous this is (second tinder flames) and rues that there are no firetrucks available, and how the neighborhood is evacuated.

jeesh.. just go kick the tinder into the grass away from the rest of the pile, rather than talk about how it's a huge risk of inciting more fires. If this was my home, I'd be on all kinds of reporter-tilt. grr.

carmel valley still safe. when the wind blows from the south we can sometimes see the sun clearly, but technically we're still in the southwest edge of the evacuation zone.

Ikaika 10-22-2007 06:51 PM

thanks for the update Gina. The smell of smoke isn't as strong as it was before here in Torrey Hills, but still low visibility.