Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Cool Sports You've Played (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524314)

RobBizzle 10-17-2007 11:43 AM

Re: Cool Sports You\'ve Played

Polish Horseshoes.

You take two pieces of PVC pipe and stick them in the ground about baggo length apart, and put an empty bottle of beer on top of each of the pipes.

You and your teammate are on the same side and your goal is to knock the opposing teams bottle off using a frisbee. You have to catch the frisbee each time it is thrown also, but you have to have a drink in one hand at all times. The frisbee can also not be caught in front of the pole. The bottle can also be caught on its way down to save points.

A knocked off bottle that isn't caught is worth three points and a missed bottle is one. Game is automatically over if you manage to break the bottle, and the game is played to 21.

This game gets quite interesting after people have been drinking for a while. Anyone ever play?

hokey 10-17-2007 11:46 AM

Add another vote for disc golf, Been playing it for a decade now and still enjoy traveling to tournaments around the midwest.

qdmcg 10-17-2007 01:57 PM

Rowing (Crew) can be a lot of fun. Racing requires a lot of power while maintaining timing, balance, technique, etc.

LetItBe 10-17-2007 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rowing (Crew) can be a lot of fun. Racing requires a lot of power while maintaining timing, balance, technique, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest this. I rowed in college and it was the best thing ever, but if you really want to get into it, it is a huge commitment (usually involves getting up very early). If you have questions about it ask, I don't want to just spew some random info out.

stinkypete 10-17-2007 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We use volleyball scoring (only score on serve), and call it stennis.

[/ QUOTE ]

volleyball hasn't been scored that way in many many years.

qdmcg 10-17-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest this. I rowed in college and it was the best thing ever, but if you really want to get into it, it is a huge commitment (usually involves getting up very early). If you have questions about it ask, I don't want to just spew some random info out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently a collegiate rower. The commitment is unfortunate (I wake up 6 days a week at 4:40am), but I obviously feel that its worth it as I continue to it. It helps that the team that I'm on is full of really great people that I love, because they are essentially my friends now(we travel/race frequently on weekends), so I couldn't do this if I didn't get along with 90% of the people on the team.

However, it doesn't have to be this competitive. There are plenty of other teams/leagues that practice in the evenings, not every day, etc.

mondo 10-17-2007 05:26 PM

Try lacrosse on ice skates.... talk about a cool game.....

A sport I have never played, but really think it is the ultimate in cool sports:

hurling .... tried to link, but you can search on youtube

peace, mondo

P.S. Sorry about the linky, I don't usually paste them, and I'm in a hurry.... hope it works.....

Oh, and helmets are a recent addition.....

KLJ 10-17-2007 06:43 PM

another + for broomball. it's definitely the sport where you're going to be sore the next day in a competitive setting.

also a + for water polo, but for the newb-friendly innertube variety. some colleges have IM innertube water polo, and is a blast for all levels of experience.

w_alloy 10-17-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We use volleyball scoring (only score on serve), and call it stennis.

[/ QUOTE ]

volleyball hasn't been scored that way in many many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about spending 30 seconds to check this, as I wasn't sure. But then I remembered my gung-ho highschool gym teacher, Mrs. Henson, and how she pounded these rules into us. I was about to blame her, but then I saw this from the volleyball wiki

[ QUOTE ]
Before 1999, points could be scored only when a team had the serve (side-out scoring) and all sets went up to only 15 points. The FIVB changed the rules in 1999 (with the changes being compulsory in 2000) to use the current scoring system (formerly known as rally point system), primarily to make the length of the match more predictable and to make the game more spectator- and television-friendly.

[/ QUOTE ]

and I realized that I had Mrs. Henson's class in 1999, and now I just feel old.

/minihijack

z28dreams 10-17-2007 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't know if it's what you're looking for but my favorite leisure sport is cornhole.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I moved to the east coast from Chicago, people looked at me like I was crazy when I described this game. I'd say maybe 10% of people I talked to knew about it at all.

Obviously, this meant that I had to build a board and hold some tournaments. It was a real crowd pleaser.

I also came to realize that I'm much better at designing these types of things (solidworks baby!) than actually assembling them.

The worst part was that it probably cost us $65 in parts to put them together (including the bags), and we later found a post-labor day blowout where they were selling the whole kit for like $70.

Woohoo for +$5 in savings and 3 hours of labor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

supernick24 10-18-2007 12:21 AM

i pole vaulted for a year in high school. it was the most technically difficult thing i ever did in sports, and also the most rewarding. getting heads-up at a track meet with everyone watching is an incredible rush.

Magisastar 10-18-2007 02:23 AM

Smoe of you Americans should try Australian Riles Football. There are a fair few clubs around the U.S. If your reasonable fit, and tough enough, there is no better game to play.

pokah5 10-18-2007 04:22 AM

i love cornhole. its a great game to play just hanging out. for some reason everyone here in chicago calls it bags.

broomball is also great. it was a lot of fun playing intramural broomball.

the most intense sport ive played was rugby though. we had a club team in high school and i havent played a sport i enjoyed more.

Elevens 10-18-2007 06:52 AM

Skydiving.

Toro 10-18-2007 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Currently a collegiate rower. The commitment is unfortunate (I wake up 6 days a week at 4:40am

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this for one season in College but couldn't keep it up because of the time commitment. That was a shame because of all the sports I ever played and I played them all (figuratively) training for rowing got me into the best shape of my life.

P.S. Where do you row? We had Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester which is considered one of the best rowing locations in the World.

Tinga 10-18-2007 03:33 PM

Pickleball is a sport that combines ping-pong, tennis, and badminton.

The wikipedia article linked goes into it a bit more, but it's basically like playing tennis with an over-sized ping-pong paddle and whiffle ball, on a badminton sized court.

I didn't learn about it until I got to college (lol, easiest class ever), and apparently it was pretty popular in the area.

HajiShirazu 10-21-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i love cornhole. its a great game to play just hanging out. for some reason everyone here in chicago calls it bags.

broomball is also great. it was a lot of fun playing intramural broomball.

the most intense sport ive played was rugby though. we had a club team in high school and i havent played a sport i enjoyed more.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm on the east coast and people call it bags here too. I didn't know it was called cornhole.

IggyWH 10-21-2007 02:27 PM

Over The Line is huge here in San Diego. They have a big 2 weekend tournament. I didn't play in it, but it seems like a pretty cool, fun game... that you can play drunk.

spyderracing 10-22-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Smoe of you Americans should try Australian Riles Football. There are a fair few clubs around the U.S. If your reasonable fit, and tough enough, there is no better game to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aussie Rules is so dumb. I don't get how anyone can enjoy that game. Rugby Union/League however are both great.

Dominic 10-22-2007 12:29 PM

I'm in an elephant soccer league with some friends:

http://www.villiard.com/images/eleph...hant3-foot.jpg

Right now I rent the elephant on a game to game basis, but I'm hoping to get one of my own soon.

Badger 10-22-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
competitive rock climbing for me.

http://www.usaclimbing.net

[/ QUOTE ]
What level do you compete at? A kid from my local climbing gym recently returned from the world competition in Ecuador.

Elevens 10-22-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Frisbee can actually be really fun with the right crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

After seeing pictures of... I believe Snowball, playing this, I have no interest in ever attempting it. He ruined it for me.

qdmcg 10-23-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Currently a collegiate rower. The commitment is unfortunate (I wake up 6 days a week at 4:40am

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this for one season in College but couldn't keep it up because of the time commitment. That was a shame because of all the sports I ever played and I played them all (figuratively) training for rowing got me into the best shape of my life.

P.S. Where do you row? We had Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester which is considered one of the best rowing locations in the World.

[/ QUOTE ]

I row on a river in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (US), nothing too special about it.

JanelleBB7 10-23-2007 02:19 PM

The sport in and of it self is not the cool part but rather the TEAM was so ridiculous - like the Bad News Bears.

I went to this tiny Christian school for my Junior year of Highschool and the principal there was so bent on having a sports team that he encouragedd all the girls to have a basketball team. There was ONLY 5 of us! And here is the weird part--- I was the best player on the TEAM of 5!!!! and I am 5ft 3inches tall LOL and I think then I might have been 5ft 2inches tall.... BAD!!!! lol we rarely ever won and when we did the girls were in junior high or middle school ---- PATHETIC!

dmoney 10-23-2007 02:31 PM

Dodgeball - Suprisingly physically demanding.
InnerTube Water Polo.

Both fun as hell.

I have played alot of sports in my day. Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Basketball, Baseball, Lacrosse and I think Dodgeball was the most exhausting out of all of them.

KexChoklad123 10-23-2007 02:34 PM

I have played table tennis and badminton at a high level (national and euro) as a junior. I can recommend gym, swimming and boxing in combination, does mircles for your body [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]