Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask Me About Being a Weatherman (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521123)

SneakyFerret 10-11-2007 11:47 PM

Re: Ask Me About Being a Weatherman

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of job security do you have? Is there a lot of industry turnover? Also, what are the politics of moving to another market? How much do you get paid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I make 23K right now, I'll have the option to sign a contract in 3 months, in which case I'd get paid 24K/26K. Lima's market size is 185/220 in the nation. My job in a 30-40 market would probably be 6 figures. Lots of Turnover in small markets, because everyone is young/just getting the foot in the door, and these people have bigger plans than working for low 20s.

SneakyFerret 10-11-2007 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
even though a tornado might only form like 30% of the time from it

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the actual stat? I don't expect you to actually know, but it feels like it's way lower to me. Could be a small sample size though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not, you could be right.

mbillie1 10-12-2007 12:05 AM

doesn't this render you totally obsolete?

http://www.all4humor.com/images/file...er%20Stone.jpg

just kidding. good thread. how do you find your coworkers? like what % of them are just hacks dicking around at whatever job they happened upon and what % of them are motivated to get into broadcasting and are starting in a smaller market looking to move up? what's a reasonable timetable to expect to be able to move to a larger market?

kordoISback 10-12-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of job security do you have? Is there a lot of industry turnover? Also, what are the politics of moving to another market? How much do you get paid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I make 23K right now, I'll have the option to sign a contract in 3 months, in which case I'd get paid 24K/26K. Lima's market size is 185/220 in the nation. My job in a 30-40 market would probably be 6 figures. Lots of Turnover in small markets, because everyone is young/just getting the foot in the door, and these people have bigger plans than working for low 20s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in the twin cities of minnesota. I always used to see the top the head weather man at the abc station at the local card club. Im guessing the twin cities is a 30-40 market so he makes like 100k a year based on ur past post. What do you think he makes.

spamhead 10-12-2007 12:35 AM

Ever been in a weatherman rumble?

Also, what if you were the best gd weatherman on the planet but looked like a fat nasty pig and had Brit teeth. Would you ever get on the air?

spamhead 10-12-2007 12:36 AM

Say something about OOT iin your next forcast (with proof) and I'll ship you $10 on FT.

dlk9s 10-12-2007 12:45 AM

Paula Caruso says in her bio that she likes "...making people smile."

Has she ever made you smile, and if so, how?

MicroBob 10-12-2007 12:51 AM

Lima, OH??
Been through and around there. Please don't kill yourself...if you get the urge just get out of town for awhile and I'm sure your modd will improve.

I ran camera at a TV station in Cincinnati for about a yr. Our weatherman was a really nice guy and really freaking passionate about it and pretty much never suht up about it.
Just be hanging out maybe talking football or something and then he would see one of the other stations' forecast and then go on just for me or whoever else was around.
"Wow, I can't believe Channel 5 thinks that's going to happen. I mean, that front could get here sure. But it's probably going to miss us to the north. I just don't like how they really stretch to try to bring more of that kind of stuff our way. It just isn't going to happen. Here, let me show you the different computer models...."

Then I'd be looking at 6 different models with only one of them agreeing with the forecast that he thinks is off. etc etc etc.
His passion for this stuff when talking to him in person actually made a lot of the stuff somewhat interesting to me.

Los Feliz Slim 10-12-2007 12:57 AM

SF,

Is your station independent or part of a larger ownership group? Do you have outs in your contract for Top 10 or 20 markets or network jobs? Do you gather your best material and actively work towards getting into larger/better markets?

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
doesn't this render you totally obsolete?

http://www.all4humor.com/images/file...er%20Stone.jpg

just kidding. good thread. how do you find your coworkers? like what % of them are just hacks dicking around at whatever job they happened upon and what % of them are motivated to get into broadcasting and are starting in a smaller market looking to move up? what's a reasonable timetable to expect to be able to move to a larger market?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god, that's a hilarious picture...aaaaaaaand set as desktop background.

Almost all are the latter. They want to start up in a small market and move up... very motivated.

With 2 years experience, you should be able to get top 50. With 5 years experience, the sky is the limit.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever been in a weatherman rumble?

Also, what if you were the best gd weatherman on the planet but looked like a fat nasty pig and had Brit teeth. Would you ever get on the air?

[/ QUOTE ]

No

No

Dudd 10-12-2007 01:03 AM

Are you as awesome at doing the weather as Mike Leach?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qSPcMXWJjUg

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in the twin cities of minnesota. I always used to see the top the head weather man at the abc station at the local card club. Im guessing the twin cities is a 30-40 market so he makes like 100k a year based on ur past post. What do you think he makes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chief Meteorologist in Minneapolis makes around 500K

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Paula Caruso says in her bio that she likes "...making people smile."

Has she ever made you smile, and if so, how?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

One time like 10 seconds before we came back from commercial, she told josh that if his hand is bigger than his face, then he would have cancer. Josh put his hand up to his face, and she hit him really hard. I heard a pop. That made me laugh.

Also, I report for 4 hours with her every day. She's nuts.

ItalianFX 10-12-2007 01:08 AM

1. When you were in college, did you take any astronomy classes?

2. How much math is involved and how complicated is it? And why?

3. Does your station have a website? Does it have your picture on it somewhere? Edit: I think I found it, what is your name?

4. What would you say is your level of confidence that when you forecast the weather that you'll be right (scale of 1-10, 10 highest)? And when you are right, how does it make you feel that you got it right?

5. Have you ever sat on your porch during a thunderstorm and thought it was relaxing just watching it rain?

TripleH68 10-12-2007 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty good ask me thread so far.

How does a forecasting competition work?

[/ QUOTE ]

A bunch of schools are in it. We forecast one pre-determined city for two weeks, then the city changes. You forecast high, low temps, and precip amount each day. This goes on for a few months, and at the end, team(school) and individual scores are tallied.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won a period of this National Collegiate Forecasting Competition way back in the days before satellites. Actually 1991. No internet, we mailed in our forecasts.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SF,

Is your station independent or part of a larger ownership group? Do you have outs in your contract for Top 10 or 20 markets or network jobs? Do you gather your best material and actively work towards getting into larger/better markets?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I'm not 100% sure, but I think that it's independently owned.

In a small market like this, you usually opt for a top 50-70 out. Upon contract negotiations, I'm going to ask for a top 70 out. Obviously the station will try and negotiate you to asking for a tougher out.

Yes, if I have a really good show, I'll grab the tape from the archive room, and I put it on a tape with all my other exceptional shows, and save it for making a resume tape. I have really big goals in this business, and I think that I can reach them.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you as awesome at doing the weather as Mike Leach?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qSPcMXWJjUg

[/ QUOTE ]

lolz

TripleH68 10-12-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SF,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your owner.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3. Does your station have a website? Does it have your picture on it somewhere? Edit: I think I found it, what is your name?

4. What would you say is your level of confidence that when you forecast the weather that you'll be right (scale of 1-10, 10 highest)? And when you are right, how does it make you feel that you got it right?

5. Have you ever sat on your porch during a thunderstorm and thought it was relaxing just watching it rain?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No, and people always call the weather center with astronomy questions... I'm like "I'm not a [censored] astrologist!"

2. A ton during school. None during work. I guess it's so complicated in school so that we really understand how things work. At work, I just look at those things, and forecast them. If that makes sense...

3. www.wlio.com My name is Ari

4. I feel usually about an 8. When I really nail it, it really does feel great. I'll be at home and I'll tell my wife "Hey guess, what I got the high and low exactly right today!!!" And she doesn't care that much.

5. Yes, and I love it. Nothing better. I love having sex during thunderstorms too...

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SF,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol ty

ItalianFX 10-12-2007 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No, and people always call the weather center with astronomy questions... I'm like "I'm not a [censored] astrologist!"

2. A ton during school. None during work. I guess it's so complicated in school so that we really understand how things work. At work, I just look at those things, and forecast them. If that makes sense...

3. www.wlio.com My name is Ari

4. I feel usually about an 8. When I really nail it, it really does feel great. I'll be at home and I'll tell my wife "Hey guess, what I got the high and low exactly right today!!!" And she doesn't care that much.

5. Yes, and I love it. Nothing better. I love having sex during thunderstorms too...

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Wouldn't that be an astronomist? Astrology is the study of the moon and sun and horoscopes BS. Or no?

3. Cool.

4. When I talk to my g/f about economics, she doesn't care much either.

5. Your hand doesn't count.

KotOD 10-12-2007 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure that a lot of people might have questions about what we do/how we do it. I work as a morning meteorologist for the NBC station in Lima, OH, and happen to have a lot of down - time at work. So I'll field any questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind, wrong station.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I figure that a lot of people might have questions about what we do/how we do it. I work as a morning meteorologist for the NBC station in Lima, OH, and happen to have a lot of down - time at work. So I'll field any questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. If you're talking about WFMJ, I...watch you every morning. Did you replace Frank?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, WLIO (NBC Lima)

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 01:33 AM

Alright, I'm hittin the sack..... I'll answer more tomorrow.... good questions.

furyshade 10-12-2007 01:34 AM

my dad's business partner is the main sports anchor for nbc in LA, he makes like 1.5mil+ for being on tv for 5 minutes, is this anything short of robbery?

eviljeff 10-12-2007 02:38 AM

do you know any weatherman jokes?

Hobbs. 10-12-2007 03:22 AM

How will an omega blocking pattern affect the weather in New England?

Mr.WeakTight 10-12-2007 03:23 AM

1) since we can't control the weather, why worry about it? If it's cold, wear a jacket. if it's cloudy, bring an umbrella. if it's hot, wear shorts. What's the BFD?

2) why do markets like palm springs where it's perpetually the same temperature with no humidity and rains like 2x a year have weather people.

3) I think you're low by about 1/2 on what the chief meterologists in MPLS/ST Paul make.

maxtower 10-12-2007 03:50 AM

Have you ever thought about moving to a college town and forecasting the weather wrong just to get good lines on football games?

bunny fufu 10-12-2007 04:09 AM

One of my friends used to sell Doppler storm-tracking systems for Barron Services, have you ever heard of them or does your your station use their system? Have any good stories from live shots or on-location broadcasts?

kabouter 10-12-2007 07:57 AM

So this in no way irritates you'?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=89mEJXU00...ed&search=

mrkilla 10-12-2007 09:06 AM

Nice thread

Do you ever recieve death threats or get a pissed off look from your boss if the forecast is crappy?

Do family memebers call you up and ask "hey hows the weather over there?"

part B - do they ever really call for forecasts

Have you ever predicted something first or more accuratly then other people (like say a super duper snow storm that really is just going to be a flurry or Noah and his ark will be floating past anyminute when others called for a sprinkle)

When you look to the sky and see a cloud do you go "Hey that looks like a bunny!" or "Hey thats Altostratus!"

esad 10-12-2007 09:24 AM

You should change your name to something weather like. For example

Lance Storm, Kip Wind or Max Raine

Trust me, it would help you get that job at the big stations. Your current name is just way too long and complicated. Do it!

tdarko 10-12-2007 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) since we can't control the weather, why worry about it? If it's cold, wear a jacket. if it's cloudy, bring an umbrella. if it's hot, wear shorts. What's the BFD?

2) why do markets like palm springs where it's perpetually the same temperature with no humidity and rains like 2x a year have weather people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the way I think too. I need to know the weather ahead of time very seldom. I always find it weird when people are hovering around the tv/internet to see if it is going to be cold outside, umm step outside and see. Then I get the argument, "what if it is cold later and you don't have a jacket"? The only time this is going to matter is if I am outside for a long time like at a football game or something, otherwise I am outside for the 10 seconds walking to my car, then inside my comfy car w/ the heater, then outside for a few seconds till I get inside to wherever I need to go...this is much different for walking cities such as NYC though--I was wearin' my jacket yo. But for driving cities I find it ridiculous.

I also don't really care about rain, I don't ever carry an umbrella they are a pain in the ass. Once again, I have used an umbrella a few times in NYC but that is different. I see people in driving cities park 15 feet away from the door of the place they are going into and they are knocking crap around in their car trying to open up an umbrella, they spend minutes trying to open this thing to walk across the street just so they can close it again--seems silly to me. I just hop out and jog across the street but maybe I am weird.

This is actually a good thread but I still don't watch the weather--doesn't seem like it is going to tell me anything useful unless there is a tornado or hurricane and in that case every channel is interrupted and I am going to know anyway.

Worrots 10-12-2007 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My name is Ari

[/ QUOTE ]

"yes, the name rhymes"

You're just doing this to drive traffic to your bio, aren't you? Part of the master plan to move up in the weather world?

Srsly, how's the "exotic food" in West Central Ohio?

bwana devil 10-12-2007 10:51 AM

stephanie or paula?

ever had this happen to you while on the air? (cockroach attack)

btw good thread. i liked the dylan response.

rhymenocerus 10-12-2007 11:03 AM

What's the Spritz nipper this week?

TripleH68 10-12-2007 11:09 AM

tdarko,

You know it has been proven that you will get more wet running through the rain than if you just walk?

TripleH68 10-12-2007 11:30 AM

1) Did you have any involvement with Weather Central while in Madison? (This is a data and graphics company that supplies equipment to television stations around the country.)

2) How many students were in your graduating class at Wisconsin?

3) How did you find this first job in Lima?

4) As you move along in a television news career, what type of arrangement do you have with your wife on the decision making?

5) Are there any co-workers in Lima that have been there a very long time, unable to find that next job and move up the ladder?

6) Have you ever heard any industry talk on the future of television news? I am referring to the internet and vod changing the way people get news, especially weather forecasts any time of the day or night.

7) When all your co-workers say in their bio how much they love Lima - what percentage of them are flat out lying?

8) How would you say you are different from other meteorologists with your level of experience?