Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520715)

yukoncpa 10-12-2007 05:25 AM

Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, on reading the topic I thought some sanity was lurking back into the darkness and silliness of USA. But it seems to no amount of evidence and shooting of innocent people is gonna get through to the gun nuts! They are just impervious to the evidence! Completely deranged imo, LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Midge, Your posts are the greatest, but please consider:

Americans love firearms. If I wish to purchase a pistol undetected by the government, all I have to do is consult my local newspaper and purchase from a classified advertiser. Everyone here in Idaho owns firearms and home robberies and murders per capita is quite low. Please peruse the sports and fitness portion of my local newspaper. Any gun on any given day that you want to buy, you can, without any sort of registration. Nobody cares here about gun registration because violence is quite low.

Fitness equipment including colt 45's and rugars

edit - Idaho is 43rd to last in States with violent crime per capita.

MidGe 10-12-2007 05:32 AM

Hiya yuconcpa,

I have nothing about people that like firearms. I am 100% behind gun control and especially availability of guns to those that are deranged or go on tilt too easily.

The place for a gun is in a sports club, not in the home, and definitely not on one's person, and all that with the proviso that they have not got psychological problems which would let them fly off the handle too easily!

bkholdem 10-12-2007 05:42 AM

It is IMPOSSIBLE to legislate away bad behavior. Hasn't the past 200 years of history of this country, not to mention the past 2000 or so years or more of other societies taught u that yet?

tame_deuces 10-12-2007 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and you had me all the way up to here:

[ QUOTE ]
[And, to go even further, I'm not even comfortable with the idea of sharing a campus with someone that feels he should be able to carry a gun around.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

too bad there werent a few "gun toting conservative rednecks" in the building when virginia tech got shot up this summer..... perhaps they could have saved lives

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'd feel much safer walking around Philadelphia if I had a gun. And I don't blame any student (college or otherwise) for wanting to have a gun at his side after what's been going on the past years in this country.

People are less likely to commit violent crimes if they know that 95% of the people around them are armed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US has a disproportionally high number of murders per capita, almost twice that of any comparable western nation. This doesn't imply that US gun laws leads to more murders , but it does imply that they don't lead to less murders.

Taso 10-12-2007 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everytime I read one of your posts I end up on full blown life tilt, no joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heya Taso, given most of your posts I am really glad that we have differing opinions.

For your information, when I read your posts, or most of them, I only feel like smiling at your naivety. It doesn't put me on tilt at all, seriously! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche. :P

yukoncpa 10-12-2007 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The place for a gun is in a sports club, not in the home, and definitely not on one's person,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, Midge, sorry for just taking a portion of your statement. Much of what you say makes sense, but consider that in Switzerland, each male member of the household that has gone through military training, up to the age of 30 must carry in his home a machine gun. Violence is Switzerland is almost unheard of.

MidGe 10-12-2007 06:00 AM

OK yukoncpa,

I am sure that every recruit in the army has had a psychological assessment, and, as you said, proper training.

On top of it, my bet is that there are a lot less lunatics in Switzerland, per head of population, than in te USA! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

yukoncpa 10-12-2007 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On top of it, my bet is that there are a lot less lunatics in Switzerland, per head of population, than in te USA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I concur.

Taso 10-12-2007 06:16 AM

lol, you're the man.

Metric 10-12-2007 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, on reading the topic I thought some sanity was lurking back into the darkness and silliness of USA. But it seems to no amount of evidence and shooting of innocent people is gonna get through to the gun nuts! They are just impervious to the evidence! Completely deranged imo, LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice. This news item is actually let-down for you, because the thread title seems like a much better idea! In Midge's ideal world, political disagreement with Midge is punishable by forced hospitalization and analysis.

Let this be a warning to everyone -- people like this do exist and clothe themselves in the mantle of the compassionate, reasonable left!

MidGe 10-12-2007 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In Midge's ideal world, political disagreement with Midge is punishable by forced hospitalization and analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for trying to imagine what my ideal world is. Unfortunately in this instance you are wrong. I would only ask for an assessment of anyone wanting to have anything to do with guns, which is quite different from forcing everyone that wants a gun into hospitalization. Of course, you may be right, and the outcome between our different courses of actions mightn't be that different, as far as results, in reality! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Metric 10-12-2007 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In Midge's ideal world, political disagreement with Midge is punishable by forced hospitalization and analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for trying to imagine what my ideal world is. Unfortunately in this instance you are wrong. I would only ask for an assessment of anyone wanting to have anything to do with guns, which is quite different from forcing everyone that wants a gun into hospitalization. Of course, you may be right, and the outcome between our different courses of actions mightn't be that different, as far as results, in reality! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters"

[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, on reading the topic I thought some sanity was lurking back into the darkness and silliness of USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

MidGe 10-12-2007 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Gosh, on reading the topic I thought some sanity was lurking back into the darkness and silliness of USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly? Are we talking at cross-purposes? The lack, or at least the levity, of gun-control in the USA is a very dark issue indeed. There seems to be a compensatory element in owning a gun, for a basic insecurity, or perhaps rightly, a lack of self-esteem, that is not as eminently observable in individuals of other most first world countries!

tomdemaine 10-12-2007 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly? Are we talking at cross-purposes? The lack, or at least the levity, of gun-control in the USA is a very dark issue indeed. There seems to be a compensatory element in owning a gun, for a basic insecurity, or perhaps rightly, a lack of self-esteem, that is not as eminently observable in individuals of other most first world countries!

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it amusingly ironic that you are the first to disparage racists and jump on people for their comments when you are one of the most bigoted people I've ever heard.

Projection much?

MidGe 10-12-2007 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are one of the most bigoted people I've ever heard.

Projection much?

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked the question! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DblBarrelJ 10-12-2007 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and you had me all the way up to here:

[ QUOTE ]
[And, to go even further, I'm not even comfortable with the idea of sharing a campus with someone that feels he should be able to carry a gun around.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

too bad there werent a few "gun toting conservative rednecks" in the building when virginia tech got shot up this summer..... perhaps they could have saved lives

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'd feel much safer walking around Philadelphia if I had a gun. And I don't blame any student (college or otherwise) for wanting to have a gun at his side after what's been going on the past years in this country.

People are less likely to commit violent crimes if they know that 95% of the people around them are armed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US has a disproportionally high number of murders per capita, almost twice that of any comparable western nation. This doesn't imply that US gun laws leads to more murders , but it does imply that they don't lead to less murders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right statistic to prove the wrong point.

Guns stop much more than murders.

I'd suggest you check out the armed robbery/home invasion/burglary statistics of the US as compared to many of our other enlightened (and otherwise terrorized by criminals) brethren.

Also, this lower crime rate just happens to be one of the wonderful side effects. The framers of our constitution put the second amendment in for a very specific reason, and that reason was to allow for, if neccessary, the violent overthrow of the US Government by her own citizens.

Furthermore, in response to

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do we explain the fact that there is a proven and obvious link between gun control and murders?

Where is Murder's Capital? D.C. Go, attempt to buy a firearm in D.C. You'll find it's quite impossible using legal means. Now, go attempt to buy a gun from a street criminal. ZOMG!!!! Guns are illegal, so they must've all just went :Poof:.. You mean the guns didn't all just go :Poof: when they were outlawed??? ZOMG!!

MidGe 10-12-2007 08:41 AM

C'mon DblBarrelJ,

you are falling for the NRA propaganda. In every first world country that introduced gun control, there was a drop in murder, and crimes, associated with guns, following toghtening up on the rules of guns ownership and their storage. Were all crimes with, or without, guns, eliminated? NO, in either cases, but they were reduced!

That is the message that the NRA doesn't want to hear.

PS If you think your right to uncontrolled gun ownership trumps the murder rate! I can't argue with you! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tomdemaine 10-12-2007 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are one of the most bigoted people I've ever heard.

Projection much?

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked the question! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can quite easily find many posts of yours that are bigoted against Americans. I'll challenge you to find any such posts of mine. I don't judge people based on arbitary distinctions like where they happened to be born.

Metric 10-12-2007 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I noticed this as soon as I crossed the border from France into Switzerland. All of a sudden you can't help but notice that every adult male is suddenly compensating for something, is insecure, and rightly has no self-esteem. A dark, dark issue indeed.

MidGe 10-12-2007 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can quite easily find many posts of yours that are bigoted against Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Really? Non-factual posts? Posts not limited to criticism of a specific administration or certain behaviours displayed by, perhaps some, USA citizens? LOL

2) You think I can't find posts of yours that really are bigoted?

Let's count our respective ratios, OK? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tomdemaine 10-12-2007 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can quite easily find many posts of yours that are bigoted against Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Really? Non-factual posts? Posts not limited to criticism of a specific administration or certain behaviours displayed by, perhaps some, USA citizens? LOL

2) You think I can't find posts of yours that really are bigoted?

Let's count our respective ratios, OK? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really do.

From you in this very thread

"Gosh, on reading the topic I thought some sanity was lurking back into the darkness and silliness of USA. But..."

MidGe 10-12-2007 09:09 AM

doesn't it seem reasonable to you, not to allow guns in the hands of those people that have real psychological issues. I'd rather live where I live if that was the case!

If that is being bigoted. Good luck dude! You are likely to, soon or later, really need it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tomdemaine 10-12-2007 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
doesn't it seem reasonable to you, not to allow guns in the hands of those people that have real psychological issues. I'd rather live where I live if that was the case!

If that is being bigoted. Good luck dude! You are likely to, soon or later, really need it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you stand by your quote that there is no sanity in the "darkness" and "silliness" of the USA?

DblBarrelJ 10-12-2007 09:11 AM

Listen, I really do not like having this conversation with people who've never stared down the barrel of a criminal's gun, which was illegal by way. It was an invisible gun. The authorities had done their job, they had made it illegal.

Illegal guns don't kill people, right?

When you actually have some knowledge of what you're talking about MidGe, and are not happily and ignorantly residing in the country with the highest burglary rate in the world, we can discuss firearms.

You say I am falling for the NRA propaganda? No. In fact, you're falling for government propaganda, telling you you're safer without guns.

[ QUOTE ]
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.

- Heinrich Himmler

[/ QUOTE ]

I always like to bring this quote in whenever this discussion is brought up, because Himmler, in this instance, very dumbly decided to tell the truth.

The Germans stripped their people of weapons for control, not for "safety".

DblBarrelJ 10-12-2007 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not bigoted, that is ridiculous. The less government involvement, the better.

tame_deuces 10-12-2007 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How do we explain the fact that there is a proven and obvious link between gun control and murders?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, statistics are often poor on causality. But suffice to say the US has a genuine problem with violent crime (assault and murder) and exceedingly high % of crimes with guns involved, when viewed in comparison with other first world nations. Crime statistics as a whole are mostly comparable and often very favorable except for these 3 statistics. My only point was that US gun laws (viewed as a whole) certainly haven't put the US below the bar on violent crime - we don't need causality to say that.

Metric 10-12-2007 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you stand by your quote that there is no sanity in the "darkness" and "silliness" of the USA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course he does. He's the prototypical anti-gun male.

MidGe 10-12-2007 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not bigoted, that is ridiculous. The less government involvement, the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this another fantasist hijack of the thread? Let me guess you are an AC supporter. Only some AC'ers could say that they are willing to put guns in the hands of psychologically deranged people in the name of freedom..... Some freedom, dudes!

OK well, AC'ers or other deranged people! They may be intersecting, or sub, sets, for all I know.

DblBarrelJ 10-12-2007 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this another fantasist hijack of the thread? Let me guess you are an AC supporter. Only some AC'ers could say that they are willing to put guns in the hands of psychologically deranged people in the name of freedom..... Some freedom, dudes!

OK well, AC'ers or other deranged people! They may be intersecting, or sub, sets, for all I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm a libertarian.

However, I have a good enough BS finder that I can usually read through to what people really mean when they talk.

Even though this is not what the article stated, in response to your comment about "Silliness in the US" or whatever, here's how it would most likely work.

You go to apply for a permit. You are told (Thanks to government efficiency) that your appointment to meet with your shrink is scheduled in 2014. The day comes. You meet a very liberal, lesbian shrink who hates men, guns, and sports (other than tennis and softball). She asks you "Why do you feel you need a handgun?" You respond with "Self Defense, Shooting Sports." She decides that since you said "Self Defense" you intend to kill people, and denies your claim.

This is the "real world". I'll grant you, in theory, this sounds like a great idea, but in practice, it's just another step forward in a small group's desire to disarm the American populace.

The really funny thing is, more women than men are on this bandwagon to disarm America, and women need guns much more so than men.

The average man can easily overpower the average woman.

As the saying goes "God created Man and Woman. Colonel Colt made them equal."

MidGe 10-12-2007 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the "real world". I'll grant you, in theory, this sounds like a great idea, but in practice, it's just another step forward in a small group's desire to disarm the American populace.

[/ QUOTE ]

DblBarrelJ,

I follow you. I simply think that most US citizens not members of the NRA would agree with me. They just may not have the lobbying power!

BTW, I respect your rights about taking a different position on guns control than me, but when it comes to the facts, getting guns in the hands of deranged people is ... "deranged"!?

There is no argument that is going to sway me or anyone with an ounce of common sense from that! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DblBarrelJ 10-12-2007 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DblBarrelJ,

I follow you. I simply think that most US citizens not members of the NRA would agree with me. They just may not have the lobbying power!

BTW, I respect your rights about taking a different position on guns control than me, but when it comes to the facts, getting guns in the hands of deranged people is ... "deranged"!?

There is no argument that is going to sway me or anyone with an ounce of common sense from that! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I stated, it can't be done. It would be wonderful if it can be done, but it can't.

First off, please define "Deranged." Then we can continue to discuss the pure logistics of your idea.

pvn 10-12-2007 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8...onalarmeg0.jpg

pvn 10-12-2007 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's your control group? "Comparble western nations" aren't actually comparable since they don't have government intervention on the same scale in the form of our war on drugs (among many other things).

If gun ownership among responsible citizens AND murder victims were distributed roughly uniformly, you *might* be on to something.

MidGe 10-12-2007 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I stated, it can't be done. It would be wonderful if it can be done, but it can't.

First off, please define "Deranged." Then we can continue to discuss the pure logistics of your idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

What proof have you got that it can't be done> This is pure NRA disinformation. It can be done, has be done and been successful, but not 100%! Any percentage success is worth the effort.

Now to use a similar situation. In Australia, people that suffer epilepsy are not allowed to drive a motorcycle (due to danger to others). I happen to know very well a rather young man, by my standard, that has epilepsy ad is a top notch motorcycle mechanic. He never declared is epiplepsy to the government. Being an exceptional mechanic he was in great demand by all the bikes dealers and manufacturers. He had an accident when he had an epileptic fit a few years ago. He was lucky.. he wasn't hurt, really, more importantly he didn't collide with any pedestrians, of which they were many around when it happened, and his skid was close to 150 meters.

Anyway, he now is still in demqnd as top notch mechanic, is only allowed to run the bikes to test on race tracks or private tracks. It is very limiting for him, but very safe for others. I guess, you'd rather he rode his bike and killed someone next time he happens to have a fit, even if it only happens every three years or so?

Luckily, for him, the bike manufacturers allow him on the track for tests and his work, unfortunately for him, he could not get to and from work on the shop's bike anymore.

pvn 10-12-2007 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Were all crimes with, or without, guns, eliminated? NO, in either cases, but they were reduced!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cite?

DblBarrelJ 10-12-2007 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What proof have you got that it can't be done> This is pure NRA disinformation. It can be done, has be done and been successful, but not 100%! Any percentage success is worth the effort.

Now to use a similar situation. In Australia, people that suffer epilepsy are not allowed to drive a motorcycle (due to danger to others). I happen to know very well a rather young man, by my standard, that has epilepsy ad is a top notch motorcycle mechanic. He never declared is epiplepsy to the government. Being an exceptional mechanic he was in great demand by all the bikes dealers and manufacturers. He had an accident when he had an epileptic fit a few years ago. He was lucky.. he wasn't hurt, really, more importantly he didn't collide with any pedestrians, of which they were many around when it happened, and his skid was close to 150 meters.

Anyway, he now is still in demqnd as top notch mechanic, is only allowed to run the bikes to test on race tracks or private tracks. It is very limiting for him, but very safe for others. I guess, you'd rather he rode his bike and killed someone next time he happens to have a fit, even if it only happens every three years or so?

Luckily, for him, the bike manufacturers allow him on the track for tests and his work, unfortunately for him, he could not get to and from work on the shop's bike anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try. We have that law in America too. My cousin is an epileptic, and he's forbidden from having a drivers license.

Now, please define the definition of "Deranged" you would use to stop "deranged" people from attaining firearms.

BTW, your point is flawed. You're describing a very tangible, easily diagnosed disease. Unfortunately it's not that easy to diagnose mental disorder.

MidGe 10-12-2007 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Were all crimes with, or without, guns, eliminated? NO, in either cases, but they were reduced!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cite?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is one. There are many, just ignore NRA and you will get a better selection, although NRA does give you a lot of critical sites! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Can I help you, by telling you how to use Google? I mean, this isn't an obscure topic! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DblBarrelJ 10-12-2007 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cite?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is one. There are many, just ignore NRA and you will get a better selection, although NRA does give you a lot of critical sites! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Can I help you, by telling you how to use Google? I mean, this isn't an obscure topic! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://guncontrol.org.au - Sounds like an unbiased opinion to me! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

MidGe 10-12-2007 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like an unbiased opinion to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not more biased than any quotes from NRA and similar organizations!

Lets put it this way. You favor unlimited gun ownership and you are in a room with a totally deranged person (they do exists). You would say that in the name of freedom you would like, or not object to, him to have a gun!?

Ok.. mind experiment.. the walls of that room are moving out... they now encompass you entire house/apartment... the keep on moving out and now the encompass the whole suburb... city... state... nation!?

Really??? They'll be more of those that YOU wished didn't have a gun that I can guarantee, even, or even more so, if you are special services personnel.

DblBarrelJ 10-12-2007 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like an unbiased opinion to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not more biased than any quotes from NRA and similar organizations!

Lets put it this way. You favor unlimited gun ownership and you are in a room with a totally deranged person (they do exists). You would say that in the name of freedom you would like, or not object to, him to have a gun!?

Ok.. mind experiment.. the walls of that room are moving out... they now encompass you entire house/apartment... the keep on moving out and now the encompass the whole suburb... city... state... nation!?

Really??? They'll be more of those that YOU wished didn't have a gun that I can guarantee, even, or even more so, if you are special services personnel.

[/ QUOTE ]

You tried to pull that line on the wrong person this time. Most officers, myself included, prefer an armed public. Legally armed citizens are no threat, and the police can't be everywhere at once.

Personally, I work with inmates in the prison, but I carry off duty as I'm not so naive as to think that an inmate cannot leave my prison and not attain a firearm within 10 minutes.

If I am in a room with a deranged man with a gun, I shoot the deranged man with the gun. I know you'd like to hear some long, well thought out argument, but I would discharge three rounds, winning "The battle of hearts and minds" namely two to the heart and one to the mind.

BTW, I've asked you twice to please define your criteria for "Deranged" you would use. I guess you're conceding the argument.

Thank you.