Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   ***SSNL LIFE THREAD [OCT]*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512453)

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 08:33 PM

Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD [OCT]***

toybux - thanks for the response. Could you give me then an impartial view on the reasons for the revolution (and their validity)? Would be great as I am having trouble finding a concise explaination.

Keyser. 09-30-2007 08:37 PM

Not a bad summary. I always found it interesting that Lincoln wasn't even an abolitionist when he was elected, and some argue he only issued the Emancipation Proclamation in order to get European support for the war since Europe had already banned slavery. One of my profs used to tell a story about during Lincoln's acceptance speech upon being elected president, he told the Southern states that he wouldn't do anything to disrupt the system of slavery. I think he was always personally against slavery, but his policy was just to stop it from expanding to new states, not to stop it altogether.

Harriet Beecher Stowe's release of Uncle Tom's Cabin had a lot to do with the push for abolitionism... I wrote my thesis on it, pretty neat stuff.

toybux 09-30-2007 08:38 PM

Uh... I'll tell you what I'll see if I can find something I can e-mail you or something. (I dunno why I am sitting here typing about US history when I should be watching football and drinking.) That is a good question with a much more complex answer and I think I can find you something that will give a much better answer than I can here. Summary answer is the elites of the colonies were unhappy and get some folks fired up about it.

Can I ask why you're so interested in the real reasons and how it is taught in the US though?

Edit: Yeah keyser, Lincoln really didn't personally give much of a [censored] about slavery. He was personally opposed but really didn't think it was all THAT big of a deal. He would have accepted a ton of solutions that allowed slavery in order to avoid the war. Man, all this talk is making me laugh at how bad my public history education was.

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 08:41 PM

I'm starting a History degree in a years time so I'm reading a load of books in advance. Reading a book about the War of Independence atm, but it hasn't really gone into the reasons the revoluation came about. Interested about how it is taught because it seems to be a contested topic.

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 08:42 PM

I also find it funny that one of the reasons (or so my Dad told me) for the revolution was because the English wanted to limit the American's expansion into Native American territories.

Wolfram 09-30-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Wolf, where is your avatar from? That looks really familiar but I can't quite place it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just googled "tungsten" images (Wolfram=tungsten) and this one looked nice.

Fletcher19 09-30-2007 08:47 PM

lol at how ghetto my house at uni is

this afternoon after a $1.4k session (ship) i took a rather large [censored] in one of our downstairs toilets. We only moved in around a week ago and there has been quite a few problems with the house including the toilets seeming to struggle with pretty small turds. Anyway, low and behold the toilet gets blocked, I use the toilet brush to try and get it around the bend but no such luck.

I give up and plan on leaving it until the morning and just hope that the water level goes down a little bit. Anyway i am in the pub later on and my mate has just come home and flushed it again because he thought it was a prank and that someone had put cling film on the seat. The toilet completely overflows and floods the floor and the [censored] is everywhere. He then goes down to his room (floor below the toilet) and finds a waterfall of [censored] water coming from the middle of the ceiling onto his bed.

the landlord is sending someone out first thing tomorrow to sort it out. Some of my other mates think i should buy him a new duvet set, yes or no?

terp 09-30-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sorry jay. had to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I love how terp got away with making the September thread (or maybe it was August) but when Jay goes for the glory it gets locked.

[/ QUOTE ]

u mess with my threads and i take ur women.

Jay Riall 09-30-2007 08:57 PM

haha Fletcher - yes, at a minimum imo

Wolfram 09-30-2007 09:00 PM

Fletcher,
nowai. This is just as much his fault as it is yours. Who decides to flush an obviously blocked toilet?

toybux 09-30-2007 09:23 PM

is there an ssnl irc channel?

dirtylobster 09-30-2007 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there an ssnl irc channel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Psst. Look in the master sticky.

terp 09-30-2007 09:45 PM

kolo's sister poked me back on facebook and i can confirm that she is indeed sexy

Keyser. 09-30-2007 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kolo's sister poked me back on facebook and i can confirm that she is indeed sexy

[/ QUOTE ]

terp, kolo, kolo sis 3 way?

willw9 09-30-2007 09:50 PM

camon now

terp 09-30-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

terp, kolo, kolo sis 3 way?

[/ QUOTE ]

man and i thought i was nasty

willw9 09-30-2007 09:57 PM

PHILLLLLIESSSSSSS!!!!

willw9 09-30-2007 10:38 PM

uhh wtf is going on in Michigan right now

keikiwai 09-30-2007 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this afternoon after a $1.4k session (ship) i took a rather large [censored] in one of our downstairs toilets. We only moved in around a week ago and there has been quite a few problems with the house including the toilets seeming to struggle with pretty small turds. Anyway, low and behold the toilet gets blocked, I use the toilet brush to try and get it around the bend but no such luck.

I give up and plan on leaving it until the morning and just hope that the water level goes down a little bit. Anyway i am in the pub later on and my mate has just come home and flushed it again because he thought it was a prank and that someone had put cling film on the seat. The toilet completely overflows and floods the floor and the [censored] is everywhere. He then goes down to his room (floor below the toilet) and finds a waterfall of [censored] water coming from the middle of the ceiling onto his bed.

the landlord is sending someone out first thing tomorrow to sort it out. Some of my other mates think i should buy him a new duvet set, yes or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes imo

nuggetz87 09-30-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
arcade fire concert tonight, holla

[/ QUOTE ]

props imo

double brag: i'm seeing circa survive the night after i get back from valencia, spain in a couple weeks.

Marwan 10-01-2007 01:01 AM

Anyone know what MG means? Ex: "We MG'd to Oregon?" If it helps it's a noun turned into a verb in the ex.

keikiwai 10-01-2007 01:29 AM

goofy balla has a gimmickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

goofyballer 10-01-2007 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
goofy balla has a gimmickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

orange 10-01-2007 02:28 AM

winston churchill on hitler and the fall of france:

"What General Weygand called the Battle of France is over. I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire.

The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this Island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands.

But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science.

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, "This was their finest hour."

full speech here

what a badass.

Worm75 10-01-2007 03:23 AM

How is the arm treating you Orange?

Edit: Also, anybody here have experience with AVG antivirus?

For some reason the program will no longer update, so I tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling, and now when it goes to reboot after installing a firewall it just freezes my computer.

I've tried it twice and had to use system restore to get my machine to function....not feeling real hot about not have in Antivirus software running on my computer. Any advice much appreciated.

manupod 10-01-2007 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
arcade fire concert tonight, holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really sad this got no love- brief trip report anyway.

At first I thought the venue was going to be horrible for the show. In the end it wasn't bad- it was big, but the show was really large (much bigger than I anticipated). I had floor tickets and was about 12 rows back in the middle. Very sick.

If you don't know, they are roughly a 10 person band and they alternate between playing different instruments- one person probably played a different 'thing' each song. Incredible musicians.

I had heard that they put on a good show, but I didn't anticipate this. Lots of energy from them, lots of jumping around. The lead male singer was in the crowd a couple times, and near the end one of the percussion players ran off stage and upstairs into the balcony to be with the fans (while beating the drum he had). And the light/video display was incredible- probably just as responsible as the music was for making the show a great one. Prob 10 different cameras were projecting b/w video w/ some fuzz of different parts of the band around the stage. Very cool.

If you don't know who they are, I'd recommend some youtube vids and learn a little- they were awarded the best album of 2004 and 2005 (for the same album- it came out in the UK in 2005, other places earlier). Indie rock but I swear to god it's not lame.

Chaos_ult 10-01-2007 03:38 AM

What kind of tea do you drink Jay? Personally I prefer Earl Grey, but I can be persuaded to drink regular nasty tea.

I've been drinking coffee since I was like 12. I dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

I kinda have a latte habit. I probably could have built a huge bankroll by just cutting lattes and macchiatto's out of my god damn diet.

whateva, coffee is dank.

Kilillan 10-01-2007 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes imo

[/ QUOTE ]

All you did was take a [censored]? Not your fault it clogged. Dont buy him anything

Girlfriend is still angry at me lasting 10 minutes. I told her 10 minutes is a huge improvement over 6 seconds, then 10 seconds.

Went to a spa yesterday. And Japanese spas are freakin` awesome. Only about 8$ to get in
it`s 8 stories high, the top two stories are like an indoor waterpark, with water slides and rides and [censored]. On the roof theres a lot of hot tubs, private hot tubs, tanning salon and suana.
The mens floor is a huge indoor bath, which is modeled after roman style

Anyway, we arrived about 10pm. Since its only 8$, theres 2 floors dedicated to sleeping, and its open 24/7, there`re tons of people that basically live inside the spa.

Anyway me and my girlfriend decided to sleep in the staircase. I was sleeping facing torwards the stairs, she was facing upwards, next to the wall.
About 7 am she shook me looking shocked and asked if I touched her breasts. I said no. She said someone just touched her breasts. I said its prob her imagination, he wouldnt reach over me to teach your breasts, and I wouldve seen or heard it.

Then she said, `hes right there, at the top of the stairs, watching me`.
I said theres no one there, wtf.

then she started running up the stairs, tripped and fell really hard onto the stairs. She got really hurt, came back down and started crying.

She was pissed at me all day after that.

Was it really my fault ssnl? What couldve I had done different?

Chaos_ult 10-01-2007 04:11 AM

lol your girlfriend is crazy.

kolotoure 10-01-2007 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol your girlfriend is crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

4_2_it 10-01-2007 09:06 AM

Jay,

In short, the American Revolution was about Taxation Without Representation. From memory, I believe it started with the Stamp Act (maybe one or two small ones before it) and of course progressed to tea (Boston Tea Party) and a bunch of other stuff including the act where colonists had to board British soldiers without remuneration. Around the time Britain essentially declared martial law (no right of assembly) the Boston Massacre occurred and that pretty much guaranteed the escalation of hostilities.

(This is all from memory of classes I had 25 years ago. I'm sure I messed up the timeline, but the facts are basically correct.)

capodu 10-01-2007 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of my other mates think i should buy him a new duvet set, yes or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont think you should buy him a new one, maybe help out and pay for half, but why didnt he towel up the water or do something to it before it leaked all over his room?

FishSticks 10-01-2007 01:08 PM

Trent Edwards is clearly the next Peyton Manning. Or maybe the next Tom Brady. Or maybe some sort of superhuman Brady/Manning mutant football cyborg that wins the league MVP and Superbowl every season. Hard to say at this early stage of his career.

willw9 10-01-2007 01:10 PM

wtf kil

FishSticks 10-01-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some of my other mates think i should buy him a new duvet set, yes or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont think you should buy him a new one, maybe help out and pay for half, but why didnt he towel up the water or do something to it before it leaked all over his room?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is like, just putting his duvet in the wash an option?

You should have left a note that the toilet was clogged, so it's a tiny bit your fault - but he should have done something besides stand there and watch the toilet water run everywhere all over the floor.

I'm sure we've all taken some desperate measures we'd prefer not to recount in those panicked moments when the toilet water starts going everywhere.

FishSticks 10-01-2007 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jay,

In short, the American Revolution was about Taxation Without Representation. From memory, I believe it started with the Stamp Act (maybe one or two small ones before it) and of course progressed to tea (Boston Tea Party) and a bunch of other stuff including the act where colonists had to board British soldiers without remuneration. Around the time Britain essentially declared martial law (no right of assembly) the Boston Massacre occurred and that pretty much guaranteed the escalation of hostilities.

(This is all from memory of classes I had 25 years ago. I'm sure I messed up the timeline, but the facts are basically correct.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah the Stamp Act set it off in a lot of ways, but it was just bound to happen. I mean, you get a bunch of random guys on an island and tell them their ruler is on some othe random island, eventually the guys will say eff it this is our island now biatch ldo.

I don't think there's any "true" history out there about something like this. It's all so subjective. I remember in school the British government was pretty much demonized. Taxation without Representation! Religous persecution! Later in life I saw some stuff about the famed Stamp Act that indicated the British government was spending tons of cash on putting troops in the colonies to protect the citizens from Indians and the what not. This cost a ton of cash obv, so the Brits felt it would be fair if the colonists shouldered some of this cost, as they were the primary beneficiary of these troops. I dunno, that sounds pretty reasonable to me and not something I'd want to go like, kill people over *shrug*.

It all pretty much boils down to the fact that colonists were sick of getting bossed around by random people from another corner of the earth (in a time with no like, communications/planes/whatever so the distance was huge) and fairly/rightly/justly or not said 'screw you guys I'm the HNIC now'.

FishSticks 10-01-2007 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was it really my fault ssnl? What couldve I had done different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh when your girlfriend is freaking out because she just got molested by some creepo in a dark staircase, you could act like you care and trouble yourself to go have a look around. She needs to feel safe and protected around you. Sometimes at night my girlfriend would think she heard something, and sometimes if she was actually kinda scared I'd have to humor her and go scout the house for intruders. It's kinda lol, sometimes checking for monsters under the bed is just part of being a man.

goofyballer 10-01-2007 01:35 PM

lol, is it just me or does Kil still seem more emo than I am even though he now has a gf and is getting laid?

kolotoure 10-01-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, is it just me or does Kil still seem more emo than I am even though he now has a gf and is getting laid?

[/ QUOTE ]

he does but at least he is getting laid

Fonkey123 10-01-2007 01:59 PM

what is with ur new undertitle?