Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Orange box & Team Fortress two beta thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=501101)

evil twin 09-18-2007 06:33 PM

Re: Orange box & Team Fortress two beta thread

I can't believe how fun this is. I didn't expect it to be this good. I have stuck to the 2fort and well servers so far. 2fort is nicely true to the original despite having lovely updated graphics.

Well isn't really anything like the old version but it doesn't matter, it still seems like a good map. I've tried all the classes now and they all seem really playable, despite the lack of grenades.

Many hours will be wasted on this one.

LovedBySgtSaLT 09-18-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This game is so much fun. Went spy and cloaked into an enemy soldier, then i notice the medic on the other team healing me, so i turned around and knifed him in the back lool

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i love u

whats also funny is the map (i think its "well") with trains passing by from time to time killing all noobs ^_^

Dudd 09-18-2007 07:46 PM

How are the snipers? I loved just sitting on the battlements of 2fort picking off opposing snipers and as many people crossing the bridge as I could. Any major changes, or have they kept them relatively the same?

LovedBySgtSaLT 09-18-2007 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How are the snipers? I loved just sitting on the battlements of 2fort picking off opposing snipers and as many people crossing the bridge as I could. Any major changes, or have they kept them relatively the same?

[/ QUOTE ]
they are pretty much the same

the bridge on 2fort has a roof now so u gotta be really quick to snipe someone on the ground

also i gotta say that i really really disliked 2fort in tfc (most overrated map ever imo) but the tfc2 version kicks ass

Autocratic 09-18-2007 07:56 PM

There was this awesome, awesome map/mod made for TFC called Murderball (I think) - 4 bases and you have to grab the ball from the middle and bring it back to yours. I really hope someone recreates it.

bluef0x 09-18-2007 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was this awesome, awesome map/mod made for TFC called Murderball (I think) - 4 bases and you have to grab the ball from the middle and bring it back to yours. I really hope someone recreates it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were so many great TFC user-made maps but they almost never got played. I loved a lot of the hunted type maps as well.

Any map that features a bunch of Mexicans with umbrellas trying to jump an electric fence or get on a truck while facing La Migra = great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bluef0x 09-18-2007 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe this game was first announced in 1998 or so. I am pumped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put my name on the preorder list at EBGames for it.... it looked NOTHING like this TF2. It was supposed to be ultra-realistic and featured teammates that would reload machine guns while you fire (LIKE OMG SO COOL!)

I wonder what happened to the staff of that version...

chuckleslovakian 09-19-2007 12:50 AM

When I try to load up TF2 I see the valve screen, see a background with 4 characters. Then nothing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Apparently according to some boards I've read I'm not the only person with this problem [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

evil twin 09-19-2007 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any map that features a bunch of Mexicans with umbrellas trying to jump an electric fence or get on a truck while facing La Migra = great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahaha, thanks for the reminder. That was some hilarious stuff, my old QTF clan used to all jump into that after a match.

As to those stuck on one of the loading screens, that actually happened to me. It was Zonealarm in the background asking if I wanted some process to access the internet. If you run a software firewall it's worth checking that possibility out.

dzh90 09-19-2007 01:41 PM

WHERE IS 32SMOOTH? [M]egadeth? this game is awesome but the spy really really really needs grenades

Edit: soldier needs grenades too because the perfect grenade+rocket combo was maybe the best thing ever

ohgeetee 09-19-2007 02:03 PM

Wow. This was so much more fun than I had expected, especially surprising after I found that there were no grens. They have done a really good job.

Bork 09-19-2007 06:18 PM

Game of E3 1999 is pretty fun.

toss 09-19-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I try to load up TF2 I see the valve screen, see a background with 4 characters. Then nothing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Apparently according to some boards I've read I'm not the only person with this problem [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It did that for me. I fixed it by going to Zone Alarm and allowing all the HF2 clients.

RiverFenix 09-20-2007 01:55 PM

[censored]. I guess I'll buy it to try it out.

Surely someone will mod it and add in grenades (right, right?!)

RiverFenix 09-20-2007 02:13 PM

Also can anyone add how much space steam + orange box takes up ? Not sure if I want to create a new VM for this or add it in to a old VM I have. Appreciated.

geormiet 09-20-2007 04:43 PM

my computer is crashing like 5 times a day from this game, but i'm still playing.

Anyone else having crashing problems?

Bork 09-20-2007 05:07 PM

nope, does your computer run cs: source/ hl2 fine? Do you have the latest drivers?

evil twin 09-20-2007 05:07 PM

I haven't had a single crash here. My guess would be graphics card issues, with latest drivers being the first port of call.

As to how much space it takes up, I've never actually looked into how to figure this out before. After a quick look I'm assuming the .gcf files in Valve\Steam\SteamApps tell all. There are 4 files in there that seem to relate to TF2, coming in total to 2.45GB.

Also, you're probably right about someone modding it with some grenades eventually. You will be surprised at how little it needs them though. I've been amazed at how good a job they have done.

dzh90 09-20-2007 08:34 PM

notes from a bigtime QWTF player:

This game is a port of QWTF minus grenades. I don't understand why it took so long to come out when it is virtually the same game. The player models in QW were so precise whereas the clipping issues in this game bug me. I feel like I constantly fire rockets right through people. Why is QW multiplayer still better and more fluid and accurate than anything else made in the past ten years???? I realize this is an engine issue and not a TF2 issue but it still irritates me.

Demoman grenades are way too strong on direct hits. Spy invis seems like it will be easy to detect by changing your graphics settings. I preferred grenades + feign over invis + sapper. It's too hard to take out a sentry as spy. The medic is probably too powerful. I kind of like the sniper being this weak. Pyro is useless as ever. Soldier seems ok. HWguy gets a nice upgrade here. Overall I really really miss grenades but I guess it keeps the spam down in public play.

Anyway the game is still a blast to play.

Bork 09-21-2007 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Spy invis seems like it will be easy to detect by changing your graphics settings. I preferred grenades + feign over invis + sapper. It's too hard to take out a sentry as spy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You go completely invisible it just takes a second or two where you look like predator. I haven't had any problems taking out the sentry guns. The sapper is instant and they won't shoot you if you are disguised or cloaked. I pretty much agree with your other comments.

chuckleslovakian 09-21-2007 03:46 AM

yay, not sure what that last update did but my TF2 works now holla. Looks like Valve was to blame for it not working and not me, but hey thats what betas are for.

TheCroShow 09-22-2007 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my computer is crashing like 5 times a day from this game, but i'm still playing.

Anyone else having crashing problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

i just crashed a few times. =( i updated my video drivers and that [censored] me even harder up the ass. the newest nvidia drivers screwed my display. had a hell of a time finding a different driver to use.

my specs:

GA-7N400 Motherboard
Athlon 2600+ CPU (1.9ghz)
Nvidia 6600GT
1.25 gb RAM

Those are the basic specs of my PC. I'd love to upgrade but can't do that anytime soon.

evil twin 09-22-2007 05:57 AM

Team Fortress 2 makes Penny Arcade

RiverFenix 09-22-2007 12:56 PM

Ive only played well and 2fort so far but:

-Please make the floors level its totally ridiculous that they arent.
-Why is it so hard to rj, pj up through the grate in 2fort?
-scouts are way way way overpowered. Tone the shotty way down and bring back the nailgun
-No grenades sucks. Ive seen 3 sentrys in the intel room in 2fort and there is almost nothing you can do since in a pub no one wants to attack together
-The roof on the bridge is ridic in 2fort
-Sniping sucks now. If youre going to have a stupid charge thing only in zoom mode please make sure it actually kills people when you get a head shot w/ it
-Well was one of the coolest maps ever and it stinks now. Its probably because there is no way anyone would cap anything ever w/ how slow everyone moves if the map was the built the old way
-gravel pit stinks for pubs

That said it is still fun. i really expect all the good offensive players to gravitate towards demoman + scout instead of old soldier/medic combos. Even though the medic is a total badass now.

evil twin 09-23-2007 08:43 AM

River,
Are you finding it easier to jump up through the grate on 2fort now? I can do it without fail with a soldier, although I have yet to develop the skill as a demoman. This move doesn't seem to be in common play yet as the enemy never expects you to appear via that route.

When you get down to the flag room and simply cannot take down the sentry this is obviously where greater degree of teamwork comes in. For the most part I have to respawn as a soldier, demo or spy and deal with the problem myself but it's really nice when the rest of the team is working well together and a group arrives down there together. Of course when the rest of the team are idiots this can get pretty frustrating.

I agree about well being one of the old classic maps. That was awesome, but it couldn't have worked in this game. I think you're dead right about the movement speed being the main problem.

I also agree that the scout is annoyingly overpowered. They should just tone down the scouts shotgun a bit, it's absurd when you see them running around a soldier killing him time and time again.

Autocratic 09-23-2007 02:06 PM

Just got the orange box last night. There's actually not a lot of nostalgia because the environments have changed so much, but the game is awesome. I love the kind of goofy feel.

toss 09-23-2007 06:36 PM

I first I didn't like this game. Maybe because I played very little team fortress classic. Then I got ten backstabs with the spy in one round. Now I can't stop playing.

Bork 09-24-2007 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I first I didn't like this game. Maybe because I played very little team fortress classic. Then I got ten backstabs with the spy in one round. Now I can't stop playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tricking and stabbing people as the spy is very satisfying.

RiverFenix 09-28-2007 02:43 PM

Who is still playing?

Spy is overpowered for pubs. Ridic that they can sabotage unlimited sents.

Also annoyed that theyve only released the maps that they have. Need more ctf not all this control point garbage.

Thanir 09-28-2007 05:16 PM

One thing to remember is this still a beta, the game isn't officially released till 10/10.

I have seen 2 user made maps, a huge water overflow/drainage area (which was cool but the one choke point made it sniper heaven), and an old school Well map that is like the old TFC one (was called Well_FF).

Overall I love the game, no grenades kinda sucks, but at least there is no grenade spam. Scouts piss me off, and I suck, but I am having fun.

Corpsebean 09-28-2007 06:02 PM

I just got this setup last night, and holy crap it's fun. Only complaint is that some of the maps are too small.

toss 09-28-2007 07:52 PM

I think the best way to counter a spy as an engineer is to shoot anyone that looks at your equipment funny. Sappers can get way annoying.

I really think the pyro should have 200hp or more. I've also heard other solutions like: left click - dbl dmg and right click dbl range. Maybe even both at the same time, but drains your ammo 4 times as fast.

Like the other poster said, spies can rip apart pubs. Against an actual team it's a lot harder.

I'm having a hard time using the soldier. I can't seem to get the rocket combo the pros use. (They launch you into the air and get you on the way down)

Snipers don't seem like the best choice for most maps. It would be sick if they had awps instead like in CS. But then they would just be overpowered.

geormiet 09-28-2007 09:38 PM

Is anyone able to succesfully create a server? I can't do it, but I think it would be fun to just have people I know play (who also aren't very good)

Autocratic 09-30-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is still playing?

Spy is overpowered for pubs. Ridic that they can sabotage unlimited sents.

Also annoyed that theyve only released the maps that they have. Need more ctf not all this control point garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spies being able to disable sentries is the replacement for grenades, which used to make taking an gun down a piece of cake for any class as long as an enemy wasn't nearby.

evil twin 10-01-2007 11:44 AM

I'm still playing, more and more in fact. I loved QWTF and I love this as well. The classes compliment each other perfectly and create for some really awesome battle situations. Sometimes the team can be weak though, with everyone trying to play a spy or sniper without paying attention to what the team needs, but mostly on the servers I have been playing things have worked out well enough.

I did initially think the pyros were far too weak but after a bunch of play I might have to revise that. Obviously you use the shotgun a lot and only bring out the flames in close quarters. Since the pyro is fast he can bring down scouts even, flame and a few shotgun blasts. Where they come into their own is when an engineers point is being assaulted a lot, or when attacking in combination with a medic to clear out a defensive point.

I don't think spys are too powerful on publics, as long as you have a pyro doign his job they are not a big problem. A quick flame reveals them for all to see, just keep that burning near the engineers equipment. Even invisible spys burn. You can hold off the heavier classes at the entrances with a bit of support from the engineer.

I haven't played the demoman since they nerfed his pipe bombs, is that making a bit difference for people? I was finding defense rather easy with them with some liberal grenade spam so I can see why the change came about.

ata 10-01-2007 11:49 PM

hah hilarious. I haven't played TF since back in the day, never really got into TFC for Halflife or anything beyond. I was Attacka in -IC- Iron Curtain and Aftermath if anyone exists from that era.

RiverFenix 10-02-2007 04:41 PM

Ata,
Awesome I remember how sick Iron curtain and aftermath were. Makes me smile thinking about im12, GT, [M], etc...

Autocratic,
Grenades were good for taking out 1, maybe 2 sentries. Spies now have unlimited sentry killing power.

The demoman nerf sucks. Also this map really needs more ctf style maps. Im thinking about attempting to port some Q3F maps as most of them would fit really well size and speed wise.

thesilkworm 10-02-2007 05:30 PM

Can't wait til this comes out in Europe on Xbox. I used to play the original TF on the PC, and loved it despite laggy connection.

Autocratic 10-02-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Autocratic,
Grenades were good for taking out 1, maybe 2 sentries. Spies now have unlimited sentry killing power.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but spies are also a single class - now most other classes have to dodge sentries while their spy friend takes action.

Artsemis 10-03-2007 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Autocratic,

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but spies are also a single class - now most other classes have to dodge sentries while their spy friend takes action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spies also die very quick and all you need is a pyro to hang out with your engineer's to spray flames around. When I'm on a team with 3-4 engineer's I've been going pyro and doing just that, works great. And as a spy, pyro's annoy the [censored] out of me.