Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Top Chef "Chef Overboard" Sept 5, 2007 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=494602)

Aces McGee 09-07-2007 03:29 PM

Re: Top Chef \"Chef Overboard\" Sept 5, 2007

That site needs better pictures of Casey. She looks way better on TV than she does in her bio.

I'm really dumbing down the Top Chef thread here, but I'm hoping someone can indulge me. What is the point of this competition? These people are all already fairly accomplished, aren't they? What's the prize?

Thanks...I couldn't find this info in a five-minute search on the show site.

-McGee

StevieG 09-07-2007 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm really dumbing down the Top Chef thread here, but I'm hoping someone can indulge me. What is the point of this competition? These people are all already fairly accomplished, aren't they? What's the prize?

[/ QUOTE ]

$100,000 plus a lot of exposure (also column in Food&Wine magazine, trip to their annual festival in Aspen).

Harold Dieterle, winner of season 1, has just opened his own restaurant Perilla in NYC.

Aces McGee 09-07-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$100,000 plus a lot of exposure (also column in Food&Wine magazine, trip to their annual festival in Aspen).

Harold Dieterle, winner of season 1, has just opened his own restaurant Perilla in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. The exposure makes sense. I phrased the question sort of strangely. I think I was under the assumption that these people were competing for a job (not sure why).

-McGee

StevieG 09-07-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks. The exposure makes sense. I phrased the question sort of strangely. I think I was under the assumption that these people were competing for a job (not sure why).

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny - the other example I was going to give was Lee Anne Wong from season 1. She parlayed her appearance into a job with the show. She is now their "culinary producer," meaning she designs the challenges and buys the ingredients, stocks, the pantry, etc. She was an audience favorite, and Bravo also gave her a regular cooking column on their Web site.

Aloysius 09-07-2007 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This "stepping down" move is so played out. Contestant X knows they are going home so in a pathetic attempt to save face, and not be embarrassed by getting kicked off the show, they voluntarily leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was different from when Mia left. Mia wasn't going to be sent home.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... I kind of thought she was likely getting sent home, which motivated Mia to do what she did.

Outside of Hung, this is an incredibly boring group of contestants.

<u>Top 4</u>
Hung – still think he's a lock for Top 4. They gave him quite a pass this episode with his boring, uninspired canapés, imo, not sure I agree with Bourdain's take
Brian – hit his stride a couple episodes back but has been less than stellar recently… but the Spam dish did impress
Casey – she’s getting more annoying and looking less hot, imo
Dale – I think what might separate Dale is that he's been very consistent (CJ has had some real bombs)

<u>Everyone Else</u>
Sarah M – she could surprise with Top 4, really come on these past 2 episodes
CJ – I donno

<u>Eliminated</u>
Howie - I like Bourdain's description of this guy
Tre - really ridiculous he's gone; Hung gave him a nice tribute I thought
Joey
Sara N
Lia
Camille
Micah
Sandee
Clay

-Al

StevieG 09-07-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Casey – she’s getting more annoying and looking less hot, imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Blaspheme!

El Diablo 09-07-2007 04:42 PM

Al,

FU, Casey is hot.

I really don't care about any of these contestants.

Hung started off interesting, but even he is pretty boring now. And wow, looking at the pic and recipe for that salmon/cucumber thing, it REALLY looks bush league.

Blarg 09-07-2007 04:45 PM

Yeah I think the recipe undid whatever curiosity I had as to how it might taste, too.

Aloysius 09-07-2007 04:51 PM

Steve / Diablo - haha, well, I did say "less hot"... seriously her face is looking a bit haggard, maybe she's just tired. I'm sure I'd revise my opinion upward if they throw in a couple more hot tub shots before she gets the boot.

Yeah at first I agreed with Bourdain's take on Hung also... but then Stevie posted the recipe, really weak.

Top Chef 3 has been pretty lame compared to the first 2 seasons. At this point for Top Chef 2, I was actively rooting for 2 chefs (Sam / Cliff), actively disliking 2 chefs (Ilan / Marcel), and the other filler-ins were at least somewhat entertaining.

This season I'm not really rooting for anyone and only Hung has any personality.

-Al

Teph 09-07-2007 04:51 PM

"It's a judge's decision Howie, not yours."

ahahahaahahaha owned.

Also, Casey is smokin, wtf are you talking about Aloysius

El Diablo 09-07-2007 05:10 PM

Al,

Seriously, your mom's face is looking a bit haggard.

XXXNoahXXX 09-07-2007 05:13 PM

is it just me or have we seen a spam and eggs dish a few times in previous seasons?

Dids 09-07-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it just me or have we seen a spam and eggs dish a few times in previous seasons?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a reasonably common pairing I think.

Somebody ask Blarg or something, Hawaiians LOVE spam.

It's actually not that bad. Preformed hotdog or something.

CharlieDontSurf 09-07-2007 05:33 PM

I feel like Hung is a bomb waiting to go off. he's either going to win this or go down in flames before the final 3 or 4.

Casey seems to do well or kind of skate by so i like her for the final 2 or 3.

Brian even when he does well seems to not come off very well in the judges eyes.

I'm not sure what to think of Dale.

I'll say CJ or Hung wins it.

StevieG 09-07-2007 06:06 PM

If CJ makes fish sausage again they should can him on the spot.

bernie 09-07-2007 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This "stepping down" move is so played out. Contestant X knows they are going home so in a pathetic attempt to save face, and not be embarrassed by getting kicked off the show, they voluntarily leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was different from when Mia left. Mia wasn't going to be sent home.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... I kind of thought she was likely getting sent home, which motivated Mia to do what she did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iirc, someone else was head chef in a group and was looking alot like they were going to be sent. They may have even said the decision, I'm not sure. Mia screwed up her dish but seemed to be getting a pass on it. She felt responsible for the chick being on the block so instead she took the hit.

Very different vibe than the Howie situation.

Reading the comments on Padma's blog has been kinda fun. Judges are really taking a nice hit the last couple weeks.

They also have some video of Sara N and Camille being interviewed(pre-show, I think) Yum!

b

meep_42 09-07-2007 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't care about any of these contestants.

[/ QUOTE ]

-d

LuckOfTheDraw 09-07-2007 09:17 PM

Not much to add. I thought Howie's resignation was a pathetic move. Casey looking hot in that one shot of her in a tank top. Brian sucks more than most people think. Every episode CJ seems to be a solid performer, but "Top Chef"? Sara did fine this episode, just delaying her inevitable dismissal. Not much to say about Hung except wtf (in a not so bad way) at his quickfire dish.

Quadstriker 09-09-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is of course... BS. What are they going to do? Stand behind with a whip forcing him to cook. The whole thing looked stupid.

Matt Williams 09-09-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is of course... BS. What are they going to do? Stand behind with a whip forcing him to cook. The whole thing looked stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But they have to make sure it looks like the show is based on the Judges and not the cooks. I wouldn't be surprised if Howie said it and just left, and they editted it later to make it look like a decision.

BTW- Casey is hot as hell.

bernie 09-10-2007 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But they have to make sure it looks like the show is based on the Judges and not the cooks. I wouldn't be surprised if Howie said it and just left, and they editted it later to make it look like a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably cut out alot of that discussion between Howie and the judges. Howie may have been telling them how they should run the show and judging.

The beauty of editing.

b

Quadstriker 09-10-2007 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They probably cut out alot of that discussion between Howie and the judges. Howie may have been telling them how they should run the show and judging.

The beauty of editing.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right. "If the cat's out of the bag..."

Matt Williams 09-10-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The beauty of editing.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I just re-watched the whole Howie scene. After he tells the judges off and says make your decision, Judge Tom said, "Why don't you guys get out of here, we have some things to discuss"; they show the chefs leaving. There are 2 seperate shots of the chefs leaving the room, and in both shots, Howie is missing. He was standing between Hung and Brian when the judges are talking, and when everyone is leaving, Hung and Brian are next to each other and Sara is behind them, but Howie is nowhere to be found.

Quadstriker 09-10-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OK, I just re-watched the whole Howie scene. After he tells the judges off and says make your decision, Judge Tom said, "Why don't you guys get out of here, we have some things to discuss"; they show the chefs leaving. There are 2 seperate shots of the chefs leaving the room, and in both shots, Howie is missing. He was standing between Hung and Brian when the judges are talking, and when everyone is leaving, Hung and Brian are next to each other and Sara is behind them, but Howie is nowhere to be found.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good catch!

Aloysius 09-10-2007 01:09 PM

Hm - actually, IIRC, during Howie's exit interview he mentions that "do I regret my decision? no." Seems to imply he did remove himself from the competition.

Either way it's a bit of a moot point, because he was going to be eliminated by the judges anyway, and I think it's an asshat move on his part. It's just too bad we didn't see him rip on the judges more...

-Al