Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Mile run - how much time can I drop in a month? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=492260)

El Diablo 09-04-2007 01:32 PM

Re: Mile run - how much time can I drop in a month?

shemp,

"the bombardment of negative imagery that happens early in a run."

That's a perfect description of how I start out every single time.

Kaj 09-04-2007 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to race fast, you need to train fast. Almost all of your workouts should be faster than race pace. Going out and running slow will not make you a better mile runner. Those types of runs have their place in the offseason, but once in season it's time to hit the track for intervals.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP: "I run 3-4 miles about twice a week at just over a 9 min/mile pace."

What are you talking about "once in season"?

StaticShock 09-04-2007 11:30 PM

I'm talking about from the perspective of coaching track athletes who are essentially in season from early spring until summer/late summer. Given his time frame of four weeks I'm putting him in the category of being "in season." This is the time for speedwork, not building a base (which is important as well, but best done in the fall and winter.)

Kaj 09-05-2007 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about from the perspective of coaching track athletes who are essentially in season from early spring until summer/late summer. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, you're not talking about OP. Thanks for the tangent.

AZK 09-05-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AZK,

"why do you run then?"

To stay in shape and perform better at sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering since I assumed there were better and more enjoyable ways to do this...wsa wondering why you were hung up on running, wasn't sure if it was, time/convenience/location/whatever....

El Diablo 09-05-2007 04:25 PM

AZK,

Combination of time, convenience, and the fact that sports I like involve running. Oh, and preferring doing stuff outside vs. inside.

Suggestions for alternatives?

bryan4967 09-05-2007 06:57 PM

El D,

I am assuming that you are younger than 35, in which case I believe it very possible for you to drop that mile time substantially. Unless you just recently started running the 3-4 miles twice a week, I would bet in a month you could break 7 minutes.

A training routine involving both longer distance runs (5-6 miles) combined with long sprints on different days (300-700m ladders and repeats) would improve your base stamina as well as build the strength and endurance needed for a fast yet sustainable mile pace.

StaticShock 09-05-2007 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about from the perspective of coaching track athletes who are essentially in season from early spring until summer/late summer. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude seriosuly wtf is wrong you? I'm simply putting El D's situation into perspective. Do you really have nothing better to do than nitpick like this? Wow.

Klompy 09-05-2007 08:25 PM

el d,

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=4#Post11470254

Nobody really agreed much, but there was a few suggestions in there.

Kaj 09-05-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude seriosuly wtf is wrong you? I'm simply putting El D's situation into perspective. Do you really have nothing better to do than nitpick like this? Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that's not his situation (a runner with a strong base heading into racing season). I hardly think pointing out such a gross mischaracterization is "nitpicking", but whatever.

El Diablo 09-05-2007 09:24 PM

brian,

"I am assuming that you are younger than 35"

Alas, I am just barely still 35!!!

El Diablo 09-05-2007 10:01 PM

All,

Well, this was gay.

I went out and ran a quarter in 1:30. Then I walked a quarter.

Then I jogged a ten minute mile.

Then I was pumped up and ready to crank out a winner.

7:40.

HHAHHAHAH so lame.

Jogged one more ten minute mile after.

SmileyEH 09-05-2007 11:09 PM

Warming up that much for a mile is pointless and probably cost you at least 10-20seconds off your time. Swing your legs a bit, maybe jog a couple hundred meters, that will be plenty. It's not like you need your core temperature up and your legs super limber - you're just running a mile not sprinting across a street dodging cars.

Rootabager 09-06-2007 08:16 PM

I never warm up that much either, but you always see real runners warming up a ton for their events.

When I go to my sisters track meets you see guys running at least a mile before their distance events.

Their must be something to it.

Kaj 09-06-2007 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never warm up that much either, but you always see real runners warming up a ton for their events.

When I go to my sisters track meets you see guys running at least a mile before their distance events.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugggh.

How many of them are 10 mi/wk runners who are limited in their disatnces by their endurance level? (Hint: Zero)

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-07-2007 10:09 AM

swimming > running

goodguy_1 09-07-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
swimming > running

[/ QUOTE ]

so true swimming is the best all around easily.

Right now I'm running/jogging 15 miles a week. Swimming 3K-4K yds 5 times weekly and doing PT ala US Navy Seals workout..pullups, crunches(situps) and pushups 6 days a week. I take one day off per week and run 5 times weekly and swim 5 times a weekly.

I love to swim and always have but for must people swimming is not an easily aquired skill. It's much more technical than running but with half a dozen lessons must non-swimmers could become swimmers for life and love it.

What I least understand about this board is the fascination with getting big.

When I was a freshman entering Arizona State in 1983 I was 145 pounds over 2 years I lifted 6 days a week and got up to 205. So yea in college kids want to get big I undertand that but in retrospect I wish I'd spent less time lifting and more time doing endurance sports especially swimming and running combined with the strength training.

For must young people other than high school/college athletes swimming is just too boring. If you dont get that endorphin buzz or general good feeling from swimming soon after starting it's hard to keep putting in yardage. Thing is thu you dont need to swim alot to learn to love it...just built up slowly. I have a chance right now to practice locally with high school kids daily but they are swimming ~50K yards weekly.. too much for me.

I'm 44 now and as I age the body type I'm after is that of an endurance athlete but with strenght..I really just dont get the fascination with the need to get "big". I'd much rather have strenght and be able to swim, run well.

You almost never see guys that are really "big" swimming or running well.

To me this workout is the best all around for what I'm looking at: US Navy Seals Workout

I'm up to week 5 doing everything except one thing...my running sucks I 'm really working on getting my pace down comfortably using a heart rate monitor...being careful not to injure myself.
Right now I can run an 8:30 pace over 2-3 miles but heartrate is way too high ie 85%-90%. Right now my 3-4 mile runs area at a 9-11 minute pace depending on what type of run I'm doing NOT at the 8:30 pace in Seals workout..but in time I'll be able to that consistently. I ran decent 5K and 10K times ie 7:15 for 5K's and 8:15 for 10K's.

I used to run alot but that was ten years ago..so it may take me 6-9 months to get back into decent running shape. I'm really enjoying it again thu slowly building my base back up. If any of you are getting back into running and use a heart rate monitor ..pick up the manual "Precision Running" written by Roy Benson for Polar..

Swimming wise I just usually do the long swim of 20 minutes at the start of the swim as a warmup. It is very difficult thu some days doing intervals after doing a long swim in water temperature above 85 degrees.

Efourdee 09-07-2007 11:10 AM

Bigger guys get the girls.

Thremp 09-07-2007 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bigger guys get the girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

They also beat up the smaller guys and take their girls.

Rootabager 09-07-2007 12:16 PM

http://kkozak.wz.cz/Pics/charles_atlas_ad.jpg

retep 09-10-2007 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
vulturesrow,

I know whatev quasi-ghey rags you read might pass as "research" in whatever donkotard circles you travel. But I'd like an actual study done instead of whatever drivel you dig up. k thx.

For now you can let the men talk, go tabata outside with Mens Health and Flex or where ever you wanna find your research.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are such a tool.

JaBlue 09-10-2007 01:22 PM

I hate running too, man. Swimming and biking (road, since its convenience you're looking for) are great alternatives. SF tri club has training meetups and stuff. Or you could just let Boris get you into mountain biking... warning, he will kick your ass.

Whose2know 09-10-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're old.

I like the just under 7 guess if you really dedicate yourself.

I'd probably work on improving your base. When running so few miles each week from what I've read/experienced there is much more to gain by just running more each week than adding sprint workouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOL AV LOLOL cutest little bicep I have ever seen.

Thremp 09-10-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're old.

I'd probably work on improving your base. When running so few miles each week from what I've read/experienced there is much more to gain by just running more each week than adding sprint workouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize thats the "sup bro" of T-nation?

ilikeaces86_ 09-11-2007 12:40 AM

Hmm I went from 5:05 to 4:30 in 4 years. <----Brag. But when you are slower you can probably improve a lot more as it gets progressively harder to get faster the more you train.

Mike E. Vegas 09-11-2007 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can get under 7 easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

jogsxyz 09-11-2007 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A two-year study of more than four million high school students during the early 1980s found that the average boy took 7:40 to run a mile. The average girl took 9:51.

[/ QUOTE ]

Found this quote. Doesn't say if the high school students trained or just were told to run the mile. Looks like under 6 minutes would put you among the top 10% of the boys.

Whose2know 09-13-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're old.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize thats the "sup bro" of T-nation?

[/ QUOTE ]

regardless, i'm sure you're not too far off.

Klompy 09-13-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A two-year study of more than four million high school students during the early 1980s found that the average boy took 7:40 to run a mile. The average girl took 9:51.

[/ QUOTE ]

Found this quote. Doesn't say if the high school students trained or just were told to run the mile. Looks like under 6 minutes would put you among the top 10% of the boys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I wish you would have posted this in my running thread where that guy was claiming that it's easy for random untrained people to run a 6 minute mile.

diddyeinstein 09-13-2007 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about this alot and I think it's just showing off. I ran a 5k every week this summer, and there was a group who would go run the entire route prior to the race. There is no need to run 3 miles to warm up for 3 miles. Of course if I could do it, I probably would too.