Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask me about Starbucks (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=465760)

guids 07-31-2007 05:27 PM

Re: Ask me about Starbucks

[ QUOTE ]
quids,

You are using "a can of Folgers costs this much" as part of an argument about why coffee in a shop is overpriced?

Man, I wonder how you would react to a five dollar milkshake!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I just asked if he made fun of people. I just never got the appeal I guess, you spending way more money (and it is way more money, becuase as I understand it, coffee is a pretty much an everyday thing for most people), it doesnt save you any time, and I may be wrong here, but I doubt many people can tell the difference in taste.

offTopic 07-31-2007 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quids,

You are using "a can of Folgers costs this much" as part of an argument about why coffee in a shop is overpriced?

[/ QUOTE ]

Masked Man:

He would kneecap teh server who expected him to pay $5 for a milkshake and anyone who wouldn't is a giant pussy.

OP:

Thanks for the info...I'm getting free soy milk next time!

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to the douche that says "what about the people who take home coffee" it was CLEAR I wasnt talking about them, and neither were you until you got proven wrong, so gfy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you schizo or just dumb? How can you 1st say that folgers bought in bulk from sams club cost 3.6 cents a cup (not .036 cents as you wrote) and then claim you were not talking about take home coffee. You make arguments like a 14 year old girl

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do managers just not care how much their employees charge? I don't go often, but when I do I get a grande triple toffee nut mocha. I think it's supposed to be $4.25. I've seen prices all over the damn place.

[/ QUOTE ]

As evidenced by the Dumbest Cashier TR thread, some cashiers can be simply stupid. Off the top of my head, I'd have no idea what your drink should cost, but I can try to check if I remember. Your drink would be rung up as a grande mocha, add shot, add toffee nut syrup. Some people might forget to add the toffee nut, might forget to add the shot, etc. Some people may ring it up as a toffee nut latte, add syrup, which could also change the price. Also, prices just went up (effective today).

miajag 07-31-2007 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I dunno if it's worth five dollars, but it's pretty [censored] good."

DING-DONG YO 07-31-2007 05:31 PM

I have heard that costco brand coffee is actually starbucks brand overstock. confirm/deny?

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard that costco brand coffee is actually starbucks brand overstock. confirm/deny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deny, they wouldnt dilute their brand in that manner.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes SBUX sells random awesomely delicious cakes, cookies, pastries, etc. And then they disappear from the menu never to be seen again. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Supply and demand. We have certain pastries we always sell, and then for each promotional period, we'll roll new things out. If those really catch on, they will be brought back as permanent items, AFAIK. If not, they disappear.

Also, different regional areas have different food distributors. The core products should all be there, taste the same, etc, but some regions have products available that others don't have. I don't have a Chocolate Peanut Butter Stack in my region, and that thing is the shizzy.

Hey_Porter 07-31-2007 05:33 PM

This is a good place for my favorite story of my wife's from when she worked at Starbucks.

My wife (then girlfriend) worked at a busy downtown Seattle Starbucks. As with most similar places, even though it was a waste of food, employees weren't allowed to take the marked out pastries and such. Well, everyone did. This starbucks had a manager who wasn't really gung-ho starbucks like many of them, and there were some issued. Starbucks corporate actually set up an undercover employee, unbeknownst to anyone (including the manager). Well, one of the employees got caught eating a marked out muffin, at the encouragement (meaning, they didn't stop them) of the employees, including my wife.

The next day, they actually called each individual employee up to an empty board room in the building and interrogated them in front of a five person panel from corporate. They told her she wouldn't get in trouble if she, for all intents and purposes, "testified" to everything "bad" that happened at that Starbucks. She didn't, and no one else did. The guy who ate the muffin was fired, and three other employees were suspended indefinitely, which ended up being simply for the rest of the day because they soon realized they had suspended the only three openers.

How seriously they took the whole thing was amusing to me.

miajag 07-31-2007 05:33 PM

FYI, if you're referring to Starbucks as SBUX to anyone other than your stockbroker, you're a [censored] [censored].

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your favorite drink item?

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically, when I'm at work, I'll drink either coffee or a triple espresso.

DING-DONG YO 07-31-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Deny, they wouldnt dilute their brand in that manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deny b/c you're assuming starbucks wouldn't do that and risk diluting their brand or because you are aware of some type of real evidence that costco brand =/= starbucks?

costco brand coffee is pretty effin goot, BTW.

so, basically, your denial sounds like an opinion.

terp 07-31-2007 05:35 PM

what exactly is a marked out muffin

otnemem 07-31-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aqua,

"This coming from the ex-wife of one of the inventors of the flavor."

WHAT THE F?

[/ QUOTE ]
From Wikipedia:

"One version of this story tells of an Uruguayan servant who was heating milk for some soldiers. Since she was angry with her master for ordering her to heat so much milk, she added lots of sugar into it to make it impossible for the soldiers to drink. She then left the milk heating, and when she came back, she found that the milk had turned into a brown jam. Her master was about to punish her, but a soldier who didn't want this to happen said it wasn't a problem and tasted the jam. He discovered it tasted very good, and after that dulce de leche started spreading throughout Uruguay."

Aqua,

Your wife, she was a Uruguayan servant?

offTopic 07-31-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The next day, they actually called each individual employee up to an empty board room in the building and interrogated them in front of a five person panel from corporate. They told her she wouldn't get in trouble if she, for all intents and purposes, "testified" to everything "bad" that happened at that Starbucks. She didn't, and no one else did. The guy who ate the muffin was fired, and three other employees were suspended indefinitely, which ended up being simply for the rest of the day because they soon realized they had suspended the only three openers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cliffs Notes: The muffin eater got the venti punishment, while the other three got the grande, later reduced to tall.

guids 07-31-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
to the douche that says "what about the people who take home coffee" it was CLEAR I wasnt talking about them, and neither were you until you got proven wrong, so gfy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you schizo or just dumb? How can you 1st say that folgers bought in bulk from sams club cost 3.6 cents a cup (not .036 cents as you wrote) and then claim you were not talking about take home coffee. You make arguments like a 14 year old girl

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it was clear that I wasnt, thats why. Fine..even if you pay 10 cents a pound, what is your argument for spending more than 2 times the amount you should?

traz 07-31-2007 05:36 PM

I used to steal broken/leftover pastries all the time. The amount of pastries we threw out each night was criminal

DING-DONG YO 07-31-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it was clear that I wasnt, thats why. Fine..even if you pay 10 cents a pound, what is your argument for spending more than 2 times the amount you should? stupidity?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should only pay .05 a pound for coffee? Boy, me is dumb.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB,

Have you banged any co-worker chicks?

[/ QUOTE ]

One coworker and I had a month long fling. Nobody at work knew about it, but I found out later that I could have been fired, because I out-ranked her. Also, as work relationships tend to do, it got weird. I've also hooked up with a few customers.

El Diablo 07-31-2007 05:37 PM

quids,

"I may be wrong here, but I doubt many people can tell the difference in taste."

Yes, you are very wrong on this point.

FWIW, I generally buy a $1.50 coffee about three times a week at a local coffeeshop (F STARBUCKS!!!)

Hey_Porter 07-31-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what exactly is a marked out muffin

[/ QUOTE ]

Expired or broken.

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:37 PM

opinion, but I am sure as i have tasted it too, it could be "seconds", but not overstock

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea. Wasn't there an Ask Me About Costco thread at some point?

guids 07-31-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quids,

"I may be wrong here, but I doubt many people can tell the difference in taste."

Yes, you are very wrong on this point.

FWIW, I generally buy a $1.50 coffee about three times a week at a local coffeeshop (F STARBUCKS!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, F SBUX is right, if they werent making tons and tons of economically challenged hippies, they wouldnt be on every street corner I guess.

and guys, this is why I hate starbucks more than anything else....hippies.

El Diablo 07-31-2007 05:39 PM

CB,

"I've also hooked up with a few customers."

Whoa, really? Stories, please. I would imagine "Starbucks dude" to be very low on the desirability scale for most women.

DING-DONG YO 07-31-2007 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
opinion, but I am sure as i have tasted it too, it could be "seconds", but not overstock

[/ QUOTE ]

seconds?

offTopic 07-31-2007 05:40 PM

Masked Man:

The cafeteria at work has those Starbucks urns from which I get a travel mug filled whenever possible for $1.20. Otherwise, if I have to get a "new" cup, IT COSTS MORE THAN AT EFFIN' STARBUCKS WTF?!?!?!

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Because it was clear that I wasnt, thats why. Fine..even if you pay 10 cents a CUP , what is your argument for spending more than 2 times the amount you should?

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp

Quality

miajag 07-31-2007 05:41 PM

guids, I think you're confusing yuppies and hippies. Pretty sure hippies are the ones who frequent the neighborhood coffeeshops, and wouldn't be caught dead patronizing the evil megacorporation Starbucks.

Hey_Porter 07-31-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After I finished making her Ice Venti Caramel Macchiato with XXX-Caramel and whip cream in the bottom, middle, and top of the drink, she asked if I had used non-fat milk. Bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certainly not saying this is you and I can't defend the wacked drink orders, but my wife only orders a very specific drink that, among other things, includes non-fat milk. Being conservative, at least five times I have personally witnessed a barista put regular milk in, and when asked if it was non-fat, lie about it. That woman is probably aware that a good amount of Starbucks employees suck, and because she is paying what she is for her drink, wants it made perfectly. I don't know how you can complain about that.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a good place for my favorite story of my wife's from when she worked at Starbucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. I can safely say almost every employee (me included) munch on random pastries that are marked out.

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seconds?

[/ QUOTE ]

A roast/beans that didnt measure up to Starbucks' standards
(kind of like clothes you might find at a company store outlet that has out of place stitching, or some other blemish)

guids 07-31-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids, I think you're confusing yuppies and hippies. Pretty sure hippies are the ones who frequent the neighborhood coffeeshops, and wouldn't be caught dead patronizing the evil megacorporation Starbucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way man, i thought starbucks was hippy central, which of course I always found funny becuase as you say megacorp etc.

Hey_Porter 07-31-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea. Wasn't there an Ask Me About Costco thread at some point?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the Costco near me actually has a coffee roaster where they make at least some of the costco coffee.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB,

"I've also hooked up with a few customers."

Whoa, really? Stories, please. I would imagine "Starbucks dude" to be very low on the desirability scale for most women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Younger girls (college freshman) who haven't figured out how lame it is that I work at Starbucks yet.

Hey_Porter 07-31-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way man, i thought starbucks was hippy central, which of course I always found funny becuase as you say megacorp etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are misinformed. As you said yourself, you have never stepped into a Starbucks. If you did, you would realize how incorrect your statement about hippies is.

rjoefish 07-31-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read his post as 'I'm not talking about making fun of people who buy coffee to take home and brew.' As in, like the people buying bulk Folgers they know they can save a ton of money if they buy the beans or whatever and brew it themselves. Am I way off here?

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:44 PM

starbucks = yuppies
trees = hippies

private joker 07-31-2007 05:45 PM

Cliched comments re: Starbucks that really piss me off: "Starbucks! No way am I going to spend 4 bucks on a cup of coffee! LOL!"

First of all, a tall drip is $1.60, a grande is $1.75, and a venti is $1.85 (or somewhere in that range, depending on location). How is that anywhere close to 4 bucks?

Secondly, the drinks that ARE 4 bucks are espresso + flavor + extra crap drinks, which aren't made anywhere else for any lower price. People pay $4 for a smoothie or any other premium refreshment, how is $4 for a caramel macchiato w/ whip cream at all unreasonable?

Die.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After I finished making her Ice Venti Caramel Macchiato with XXX-Caramel and whip cream in the bottom, middle, and top of the drink, she asked if I had used non-fat milk. Bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certainly not saying this is you and I can't defend the wacked drink orders, but my wife only orders a very specific drink that, among other things, includes non-fat milk. Being conservative, at least five times I have personally witnessed a barista put regular milk in, and when asked if it was non-fat, lie about it. That woman is probably aware that a good amount of Starbucks employees suck, and because she is paying what she is for her drink, wants it made perfectly. I don't know how you can complain about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with this customer (which I apparently didn't make clear, though I thought I had) was that she kept throwing modifiers at me that she hadn't initially done when ordering, while I was making the drink, topping it off with asking if I had used nonfat milk (which she'd never said) after I finished the drink. Also, nonfat milk on a drink with a fuckton of caramel and whip cream was lollerskates. Closest I've come to yelling at a customer. (She had a rude demeanor about her before the drink incident.)