Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   *Official* Evolution is Stupid Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=440152)

man 07-01-2007 02:49 PM

Re: *Official* Evolution is Stupid Thread

psychologically speaking I go with our bellicose nature. we'd be a fuckload better off if we were down with one another's differences and whatnot.

Sciolist 07-01-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
psychologically speaking I go with our bellicose nature. we'd be a fuckload better off if we were down with one another's differences and whatnot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, but if you have a population of nice people, the best strategy is to take advantage of them, to be mean. Those things are inevitable, and we inevitably end up in a stable state. Sometimes there're several stable states, but they might not be reachable through evolution. It's down to game theory, and can't say I know a great deal about it...

NoahSD 07-01-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Grunching thread to say that for as much of the human body that works so well, they really [censored] up the eyes part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've heard multiple references to this too (usually in the sense of 'wtf people talk about how the eye means we had a creator, but if so he was a [censored]') but I dont know whats so bad about the eye, enlighten me?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Eye seems really awesome to me.

Obviously there are some things that I think evolution did amazingly well. One that I think about really often is our ability to really think of tools as an extension of our hand. For example, when I used to go canoeing, I used to notice that when I put my paddle into the water and it got caught on some sea weed or whatever, I had a natural sense of how strong the sea weed was, how elastic, whether or not it was tangled or just grazed it, etc, just from how my paddle felt in my hand. I think that's really cool, and I have no idea how our bodies/minds are so good at that.

Sciolist 07-01-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about our mouth not having enough space for all the teeth ):

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. I guess the problem now is that having horrible wisdom teeth doesn't affect whether you'll be able to breed or not (or, it'll do so very little). So we'll probably never evolve these things away, unless we do it on purpose... Same with a lot of the problems we've mentioned so far.

NoahSD 07-01-2007 03:56 PM

Well presumably evolution's not doing much right now because so many of us are surviving despite "problems." But why didn't evolution take care of wisdom teeth back when it had more sway?

catalyst 07-01-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well presumably evolution's not doing much right now because so many of us are surviving despite "problems." But why didn't evolution take care of wisdom teeth back when it had more sway?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://ask.yahoo.com/20040924.html

pergesu 07-01-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Debilitating pain. I twist my ankle and now it's too painful to run away from the lion chasing me? Thanks evolution, thanks a bunch. We should just have a system of green and red LED's so you can tell where something is wrong on your body.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not an expert in evading lions, but I think that'd be a reasonable time for adrenaline to kick in.

jojobinks 07-01-2007 04:36 PM

the human knee. probably the worst design of any of our body parts. at least the ear is effective, and tends to last 60 years or so. the knee is often destroyed in 20-25 years.

Vehn 07-01-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grunching thread to say that for as much of the human body that works so well, they really [censored] up the eyes part.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG STOP SAYING GRUNCHING

Analyst 07-01-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've heard multiple references to this too (usually in the sense of 'wtf people talk about how the eye means we had a creator, but if so he was a [censored]') but I dont know whats so bad about the eye, enlighten me?

[/ QUOTE ]

The blind spot is one example. In some animals (ex: octopus), the optic nerve approaches from the back of the eye, so no blind spot and a superior design.

econophile 07-01-2007 04:51 PM

evolution doesn't care what you think of your ears

coxquinn 07-01-2007 04:51 PM

nipples on men

popeye18 07-01-2007 05:11 PM

As for the sleep thing...

I recently read The Dragons of Eden by Sagan about the evolution of the human brain. He goes into sleep a little and although im a bit shady on the details he talks about how sleep is probably a leftover advantage of our ape/early hominid ancestors. Sleeping at night prob gave some protection against their predators. He talks about how it isnt all that necessary to our survival however when we dont sleep our bodies produce some sort of substance that forces us to sleep. They have taken the blood from sleep deprived mice and put it in well rested mice and the well rested mice went to sleep. He explains how there are people today who only require 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night.

Jamougha 07-01-2007 05:31 PM

The ear is amazing because it does a fourier-transform, allowing us to differentiate frequencies and tune different sounds in or out.

Wubbie075 07-01-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Debilitating pain. I twist my ankle and now it's too painful to run away from the lion chasing me? Thanks evolution, thanks a bunch. We should just have a system of green and red LED's so you can tell where something is wrong on your body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pain is pretty important... better to twist your ankle and realize there is a problem and adjust to it than not feel pain and not know you are on your ankle at a bad angle and have the bones in your feet and leg snap...

popeye18 07-01-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pain is pretty important... better to twist your ankle and realize there is a problem and adjust to it than not feel pain and not know you are on your ankle at a bad angle and have the bones in your feet and leg snap...

[/ QUOTE ]

Also if you really are being chased by a lion and twist your ankle im pretty sure the adrenaline would help u keep running.

Sciolist 07-01-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They have taken the blood from sleep deprived mice and put it in well rested mice and the well rested mice went to sleep. He explains how there are people today who only require 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure you can train yourself down to these kinds of times. Perhaps not 2 or 3, but 4 or 5 and never need any more. The problem is, I like lying in bed.

NoahSD 07-01-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The ear is amazing because it does a fourier-transform, allowing us to differentiate frequencies and tune different sounds in or out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa.. did not know that. That's so sick.