Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Separate Fantasy Sports Forum?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=433492)

.Alex. 06-22-2007 06:52 PM

Re: Separate Fantasy Sports Forum??

yes

New001 06-22-2007 08:10 PM

No

I don't play fantasy sports or read the fantasy threads, but more forums are stupid.

Needle77 06-22-2007 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes

i think the main reason this is a good idea is because sports forum regulars aren't crazy about starting up new threads for every noobish fantasy sports Q, and people stop reading or responding to the super-long threads after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

NT,

Just thinkin here as I do agree that I feel like once a thread reaches a certain point some people might be turned off by it. So wouldn't a way to counter this would be like, "Fantasy Baseball: May" and then "Fantasy Baseball:June" ect. And do so for all the fantasy sports. If football can get one each week I don't see why baseball or basketball can't do one a month.

Just throwin it out there.

NT! 06-22-2007 08:22 PM

needle,

i think that's a reasonable alternative if a fantasy forum isn't created, and i'd be happy to start those threads.

this is what i ask of the people who are against this forum: most of you don't seem like you are advocating to keep this particular type of content in sports. you are generally against new forums (which is fine) but i don't hear anybody saying, 'i would really miss this in this forum and would not read the new forum.' is that accurate? instead i hear 'not really necessary' or something along those lines.

it seems like a lot of people who are against this forum do not tend to post in the fantasy threads. is this accurate?

what i am getting at here is that, while the input of sporting events posters is valuable in discussing this, i think the best reason not to start a new forum for this topic would be if the regular sporting events posters were saying that they didn't want to lose that content from this forum. i'm not really hearing that sentiment so far.

but this is just my .02

Quadstriker 06-22-2007 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this is what i ask of the people who are against this forum: most of you don't seem like you are advocating to keep this particular type of content in sports. you are generally against new forums (which is fine) but i don't hear anybody saying, 'i would really miss this in this forum and would not read the new forum.' is that accurate? instead i hear 'not really necessary' or something along those lines.

it seems like a lot of people who are against this forum do not tend to post in the fantasy threads. is this accurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you summed it up pretty well. I used to be heavy into fantasy sports, not so much any more. Every once in awhile I'll click on a fantasy thread here to read what the latest buzz is. One or two threads on this forum seems like it's covering the issue pretty well.

NT! 06-22-2007 08:33 PM

quad,

i'm not sure you took my meaning. what i was trying to say was, while you might be disinterested in a fantasy forum, it wouldn't really take any content away from an established forum that's important to you. therefore, what's the harm in it?

mbillie1 06-22-2007 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quad,

i'm not sure you took my meaning. what i was trying to say was, while you might be disinterested in a fantasy forum, it wouldn't really take any content away from an established forum that's important to you. therefore, what's the harm in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm from this perspective I am somewhat inclined to agree with you I guess, I change my vote to yes

<font color="white">PLZ TO BE MAKING ME TEH MOD OF THIS FORUMZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </font>

Clarkmeister 06-22-2007 08:42 PM

It's dilutive without reason is why. There's a grand total of 17 active threads today. This isn't some massively overtaxed forum.

Needle77 06-22-2007 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quad,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thing. Fantasy football I contribute more to the threads there due to that I know much more about football than baseball. So I check the fantasy baseball thread every day and have made many moves based on what people have said in the thread.

I think it's a matter of convienence(why can't i spell that word?). People rather not have to check a whole other forum to get their advice. But, would it really take away from the meat of the forum? No, I don't it would.

NT! 06-22-2007 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's dilutive without reason is why. There's a grand total of 17 active threads today. This isn't some massively overtaxed forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

clark,

do you think sports forum regulars would be ok with five or six different fantasy threads at once? because usually they complain about it. that's the reason.

Clarkmeister 06-22-2007 08:58 PM

Also, it's interesting to note that we are discussing this because a few mods decided in thier infinite wisdom to start a thread in the mod forum, not because there's some huge outcry for another split of a forum (Sports) that already has not a lot of regular users. Leave well enough alone. There's already way too many damn forums.

People ask why I don't post more often and it's simply because there's too much crap to keep up with so I end up simply scaling back to a core 3-4 forums.

Clarkmeister 06-22-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clark,

do you think sports forum regulars would be ok with five or six different fantasy threads at once? because usually they complain about it. that's the reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall there ever being a major issue.

mbillie1 06-22-2007 09:10 PM

OT/threadjack: someone just dropped Travis Hafner to waivers in my league [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

loooool

NT! 06-22-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clark,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall there ever being a major issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

well i myself have started several threads about particular players or transactions and been berated for it, which is why i started the in-season megathread. currently the ratio of questions to useful answers in that thread is like 5:1 so it's not exactly a resounding success. maybe that would be the case if it had it's own forum, who knows, but that's the reason i started a thread in the mod forum about this.

and wtf is this 'in their infinite wisdom' crap, it's not like we didn't start a thread here as well (before taking any steps to create the forum BTW). it's not like we're not asking the folks who post here. maybe it's you with your 'infinite wisdom' who is vetoing the idea even though you haven't kept up with the issue. would you miss the fantasy posts in sports? no. you're just a cranky old nit who wishes it was still 2004.

iron81 06-22-2007 09:39 PM

No

TheRover 06-22-2007 09:40 PM

So now that the users of this forum have come out overwhelmingly against it, when will the new forum be created?

TheRover 06-22-2007 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, with you and Clark both against it I may have to rethink my position.

tuq 06-22-2007 09:46 PM

Heh, I went to search to make sure I had the five posts in the last month required to qualify, wasn't sure since the NBA is over and golf has been moved. I found out I have 112. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Sorry NT!, Clark owns this thread hard. I vote NO. For a reason that hasn't already been clearly stated, a forum split will result in some fantasy posters spending less time in Sports, which is bad. A poster in a hurry who used to click Sports may now click Fantasy Sports for advice on add/drops and not have time to peruse Sports, whereas if those threads were all together he may see a non-fantasy thread he wants to read and may end up contributing to it.

If you guys don't think a split will hurt Sports - particularly because seemingly nobody seems to be complaining about it, I don't even play fantasy sports and I think it's a bad idea - then you're high. Sorry, but at least you're high. I wish I was high.

tuq 06-22-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, with you and Clark both against it I may have to rethink my position.

[/ QUOTE ]
iron is against new forums by default and without exception. Christ, Mat could suggest an "Expert Advice On Getting 26 Year Old Virgins Laid" forum and he'd be against it.

iron81 06-22-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Christ, Mat could suggest an "Expert Advice On Getting 26 Year Old Virgins Laid" forum and he'd be against it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true.

NT! 06-22-2007 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Christ, Mat could suggest an "Expert Advice On Getting 26 Year Old Virgins Laid" forum and he'd be against it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

change is scary.

tuq, others,

totally fine to be against the new forum.

MikeyPatriot 06-22-2007 10:23 PM

Yes

Needle77 06-22-2007 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you guys don't think a split will hurt Sports - particularly because seemingly nobody seems to be complaining about it, I don't even play fantasy sports and I think it's a bad idea - then you're high. Sorry, but at least you're high. I wish I was high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Tuq here. The fact that a split could possibly lower the traffic to sporting events is something that I would not appreciate. I read other forums but I only post in SE. I just not so sure that splitting the forum, even if it were minor, is such a good idea.

But, I will say this, a new forum would mean that I would post in approx. 3 forums. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

And I wish I were high too.

Bremen 06-23-2007 12:11 AM

NO
The majority of threads in this forum tend to be mile long threads devoted to teams/playoffs. Frankly I would break up the fantasy thread; there's no real narrative to link the posts together, as opposed to a season long thread discussing a single team. Some might complain of clutter should there be proliferation of threads marked *Fantasy* but frankly this forum is kindof slow compared to most.

LionelHutz00 06-23-2007 12:26 AM

yes

mason55 06-23-2007 12:31 AM

i've been convinced... no

JaredL 06-23-2007 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For a reason that hasn't already been clearly stated, a forum split will result in some fantasy posters spending less time in Sports, which is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is for me the only possible downside. I am not at all interested in the fantasy threads nor do I find them annoying so personally I'm indifferent. I think for those interested in fantasy stuff there would be a reasonable benefit.

This somewhat reminds me of the World Cup last summer. When the first few matches happened and there was a thread for every match there was some complaining about it. I asked for the mod playground to run a world cup forum so that those of us that were obsessed with it could freely make threads. This was met with a similar, probably more negative actually, reaction here. The suggestion probably wasn't much of a factor, but after that there was a thread for every match and nobody complained and it was ok. Maybe the same will happen if people just start making whatever fantasy threads they desire.

So I think a split would be ok with the possible downside that is quoted above. Maybe another solution would be to just have people posting fantasy stuff as they wish. If it starts to overrun the forum, then it would be a good time to start a separate forum. Also, you could just have a temporary forum starting a few weeks before football (and baseball and basketball?) season starts when fantasy stuff is at its peak. Then after a few weeks into the season just move all those posts here and allow people to post whatever they want and it shouldn't cause any problem.

Jared

Pudge714 06-23-2007 01:10 AM

No

Hoya 06-23-2007 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

well i myself have started several threads about particular players or transactions and been berated for it,

[/ QUOTE ]

There simply isn't enough interest to warrant individual threads about specific transactions, and that would be the case whether we have a separate forum or not. There is no need to split traffic from a relatively quiet forum with no obvious upside.

4 High 06-23-2007 01:28 AM

Yes

rwperu34 06-23-2007 01:32 AM

NO

Suigin406 06-23-2007 01:44 AM

just throwing my opinion out there...NO

from last nfl season, i didn't see that the clutter was too bad at all really...traffic will be seasonal in the fantasy forum (too much downtime) for the most part imo and it might detract from this forum by splitting traffic and focus...

CharlieDontSurf 06-23-2007 01:48 AM

Lol it will be funny when football starts up n there are several new FFB threads with everyone screaming post this in the [censored] official FFB thread!

n then said poster does so and never gets any kind of response...hahaha...joy.

legend42 06-23-2007 01:48 AM

Not a huge deal either way, but I vote YES.

I'll still visit both forums, but I think the separation is warranted.

benza13 06-23-2007 02:56 AM

NO

The reasons have been repeated many times.

Clarkmeister 06-23-2007 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you haven't kept up with the issue

[/ QUOTE ]

What issue?

Dynasty 06-23-2007 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...you're just a cranky old nit who wishes it was still 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pathetic way to debate your manufactured issue.

There was no demand for a fantasy sports forum before you started your mod forum thread. It's just something you want for yourself. This thread has gotten lots of "no" answers so your not getting support here.

Just ask Mat to do a fantasy football forum in the Mod Playground during August.

DukeSucks 06-23-2007 10:27 AM

NO

I think it'd end up being a bunch of threads with one or two replies, plus a few longer ones that generate discussion. These longer ones would be fine here.

Hoya 06-23-2007 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...you're just a cranky old nit who wishes it was still 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pathetic way to debate your manufactured issue.

There was no demand for a fantasy sports forum before you started your mod forum thread. It's just something you want for yourself. This thread has gotten lots of "no" answers so your not getting support here.

Just ask Mat to do a fantasy football forum in the Mod Playground during August.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if we promise to give NT advice in the running threads, does this whole thing go away?

oe39 06-23-2007 11:45 AM

yes