Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   New Tysen Streib Book: Kill Everyone (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=427753)

fraac 09-17-2007 10:41 AM

Re: New Tysen Streib Book: Kill Everyone

Kill Everyone is a great name. It's been my motto for years.

Shandrax 09-18-2007 04:26 AM

What does this tell us about you?

fraac 09-18-2007 10:58 AM

I want to kill everyone.

Gildwulf 09-18-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kill Everyone is a great name. It's been my motto for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you imagine reading this book on the subway or the bus? I hope that it says the title in big letters.

Gallopin Gael 09-18-2007 05:27 PM

Is this big enough?

Professionalpoker 09-18-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this big enough?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol @ linking to my image. Its cool.
Mike

Borknagar 09-18-2007 07:37 PM

I hate the title, but it looks GOOD on that cover!! I have to take my earlier remarks back mr. Streib, good work.

trojanrabbit 09-19-2007 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I never understood about game theory in Hold'em was that a correct calling frequency also means that you have to have a bluffcatcher a certain amount of times. In contrast to draw poker where most examples for game theory come from, it's tough to make a hand in Hold'em, even a bluffcatcher, and very often the opponent is bluffing with the best hand. Let's say your math tells you that you are required to call in x% of the cases, but your mix of hands has you fold most small pairs on the flop and take a lot of busted draws to the river, so in many cases you don't even have a hand to call with. Are you adressing such things in the book?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure I'm understanding your question correctly, but I don't see how you think you would have gotten to the river with a distribution that has no calling hands. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Maybe you can come up with a concrete example?

Tysen

Gallopin Gael 09-19-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this big enough?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol @ linking to my image. Its cool.
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

But you've got the only one out there.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

And if you're ship time is as quick as it was for PNL I'm definitely ordering from you again, even if I do have to pay for shipping (as opposed to amazon prime).

Also, word from Hunington Press HQ is late Oct for the release date.

MyTurn2Raise 09-19-2007 04:34 PM

I've put in my pre-order

gogogogogogogogogo

Shandrax 09-19-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I never understood about game theory in Hold'em was that a correct calling frequency also means that you have to have a bluffcatcher a certain amount of times. In contrast to draw poker where most examples for game theory come from, it's tough to make a hand in Hold'em, even a bluffcatcher, and very often the opponent is bluffing with the best hand. Let's say your math tells you that you are required to call in x% of the cases, but your mix of hands has you fold most small pairs on the flop and take a lot of busted draws to the river, so in many cases you don't even have a hand to call with. Are you adressing such things in the book?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure I'm understanding your question correctly, but I don't see how you think you would have gotten to the river with a distribution that has no calling hands. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Maybe you can come up with a concrete example?

Tysen

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say I get 4:1 odds for a call on the river. If I remember correctly then game theory says that I am supposed to call 75% of the time. I simply find it very hard to play a distribution that contains 75% hands with showdown value. Very often I am sitting on a busted draw like 6-5s or Q-To and even if fold all these and decide to call with any pair or even any ace to make up for it, I'll still be way below 75%.

I know that Chen/Ankenman write in Math of Poker that calling frequencies change a lot on multi-street games because of draws, but for the sake of the argument, let's just assume it was a dry board and a way ahead/way behind situation all the way.

chucky 09-19-2007 06:05 PM

4 to 1 pot odds means call if you expect to win hand at least 20% of time. So, if you have 6 high on river you probably shouldnt call because you wont win 20% of time.

fraac 09-19-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tysen

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say I get 4:1 odds for a call on the river. If I remember correctly then game theory says that I am supposed to call 75% of the time. I simply find it very hard to play a distribution that contains 75% hands with showdown value. Very often I am sitting on a busted draw like 6-5s or Q-To and even if fold all these and decide to call with any pair or even any ace to make up for it, I'll still be way below 75%.

I know that Chen/Ankenman write in Math of Poker that calling frequencies change a lot on multi-street games because of draws, but for the sake of the argument, let's just assume it was a dry board and a way ahead/way behind situation all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a problem with tenses? By Chen and Ankenman you should have called 75%, rather than should call 75%.

trojanrabbit 09-19-2007 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 to 1 pot odds means call if you expect to win hand at least 20% of time. So, if you have 6 high on river you probably shouldnt call because you wont win 20% of time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, when you're facing a distribution of hands, this is how you should think about it. Pot odds dictate that you should be calling with hands that have a certain chance of winning, not that you should call a certain % of the time.

The situation you're thinking of when you need to call a certain % of the time is when you've got a made hand and he has a draw that will miss sometimes. You need to call with the made hand a certain % of the time so you won't be taken advantage of when he misses his draw and bluffs. Note that the % could be 0 or 100, depending on the pot odds and how likely you think it is he hit his draw. But there’s no need to call with a busted draw. That’s not part of this scenario.

Tysen

Shandrax 09-20-2007 04:27 AM

Made hand vs. draw is where my example comes from. Actually I got the whole theory from Nesmith Ankenys book about draw poker. The problem for me always was the application of these basic concepts in Hold'em.

I give you an example for a 2:1 situation for a potsize raise where you need to win 33% to break even. Let's assume you start with unpaired cards. The chances that you have a made hand by the river are in the 60% range. That means in 40% of the cases you got nothing and can fold to a river bet right off the bat. In the other 60% of the cases, you may have bottom pair with maybe 2 high cards on board or other scary situations. Still from these 60% of your hands you need to win 55% just to break even, simply because you folded 40% of your hands already. Your remaing made hands are the ones where your wins have to come from and 33% as indicated above won't be enough. This is why I have a problem with the common assumption that you need to win just enough to cover the potodds with your made hand to do fine.

Many times both players don't have a hand and you cannot just give up in these situations only because your opponent has the courage to bet. With not giving up I don't mean to call him with trash, but to lower your standards for calling with made hands to compensate for it. It may sound paradox, or maybe I am simply wrong.

Wubbie075 09-23-2007 02:15 PM

my local Barnes & Noble told me today this book is not out til January.. is that true?? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Upright Bill 09-23-2007 02:34 PM

October 20 is the currently expected date.

RowdyZ 09-23-2007 02:49 PM

Amazon says Sept 30th

I got email from amazon.com saying the book would be out Sept 30th.
[ QUOTE ]

Rodney,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated Sit 'n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman have also purchased Kill Everyone: Advanced Strategies for No-Limit Hold 'em Poker Tournaments and Sit-N-Go's by Lee Nelson M.D.. For this reason, you might like to know that Kill Everyone: Advanced Strategies for No-Limit Hold 'em Poker Tournaments and Sit-N-Go's will be released on September 30, 2007. You can pre-order yours at a savings of $10.18 by following the link below.

Kill Everyone: Advanced Strategies for No-Limit Hold 'em Poker Tournaments and Sit-N-Go's
Lee Nelson M.D.
List Price: $29.95
Price: $19.77
You Save: $10.18 (34%)

Release Date: September 30, 2007

[/ QUOTE ]

trojanrabbit 09-24-2007 12:17 PM

Re: Amazon says Sept 30th

The date keeps getting pushed back. There was a small problem getting all my detailed charts and graphs to look good in the book format. I think the Oct 20 date looks like the most likely.

Tysen

HajiShirazu 09-26-2007 04:23 PM

I didn't think Kill Phil was all that great (although it's a beginner book and was good for that purpose) but anyway, looking at the TOC, if the content of this book is decent at all it makes me very unhappy because SNG's are going to get a lot worse.

tangerine 10-06-2007 10:55 PM

Tried to do pre-order on Amazon. It shows
Estimated ship date for this item: December 5, 2007

So it is not Oct. 20?

trojanrabbit 10-08-2007 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So it is not Oct. 20?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where Amazon gets their dates. I just talked to the publisher. The books just got loaded onto a truck and are starting a week-long trip from the printers to the publishers. So they will have them in hand in 1 week. Don't know how long it will take them to pass them along to Amazon, but it won't be December. Late October still looks right.

Tysen

Professionalpoker 10-08-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So it is not Oct. 20?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where Amazon gets their dates. I just talked to the publisher. The books just got loaded onto a truck and are starting a week-long trip from the printers to the publishers. So they will have them in hand in 1 week. Don't know how long it will take them to pass them along to Amazon, but it won't be December. Late October still looks right.

Tysen

[/ QUOTE ]

Good news! As soon as Huntington gets them I'll drive over and pick up my stocking order.
Mike

Wubbie075 10-08-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As soon as Huntington gets them I'll drive over and pick up my stocking order.
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! Let us all know when you get them!

Wubbie075 10-15-2007 06:15 PM

any news?

Professionalpoker 10-16-2007 01:00 PM

Huntington has them and will deliver a case to my office by this afternoon so orders will mail out tomorrow!
Mike

Wubbie075 10-17-2007 12:49 PM

grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! I have a gift card for a local bookstore but they said the release date isn't til January and they do not have the cabability to order it before then!! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Professionalpoker 10-17-2007 09:43 PM

I have it!

mshalen 10-19-2007 07:47 AM

My copy was waiting in my mail box when I got home yesterday afternoon. Next mission is to read and more important understand and apply some new concepts.

funkymunky 10-19-2007 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My copy was waiting in my mail box when I got home yesterday afternoon. Next mission is to read and more important understand and apply some new concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

And maybe post a review?? Please?

jase 10-19-2007 10:51 AM

Re: Kill everyone - Amazon says Sept 30th

I too had the book waiting on me when I got home. I've got about a third of the way through it and will post a review once done.

For now though, a shout out to Mike at professionalpoker.com. I'm on the east coast, ordered my copy mid-afternoon Wednesday and it arrived at my home 9am Thursday. Great service, Mike, thanks.

mshalen 10-19-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And maybe post a review?? Please?

[/ QUOTE ]

The book is 350 pages and I have both a company to run and a family I like to spend time with. Yes I'll post a review but jeez give me a few days to read, re-read and mull over the information before I make comments which once posted cannot be taken back or revised.

RobertJohn 10-19-2007 08:18 PM

I skimmed through it and the material looks awesome.

However, I had a hard time interpreting the Unexploitable Resteal chart on pg. 72.

I'm assuming the left-most column is the opener's range, but what are the other two columns to the right?

I could be misreading it, but the chart seems to be off (unaligned?).

trojanrabbit 10-20-2007 07:20 PM

Resteal chart

[ QUOTE ]
However, I had a hard time interpreting the Unexploitable Resteal chart on pg. 72.

I'm assuming the left-most column is the opener's range, but what are the other two columns to the right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have my hard copies yet, so I'm not sure how it looks, but you should read the opener's range along the top, not the first column. Read the effective stack size along the left and find opener's range on the top. Where they intersect is your unexploitable re-steal range. For example, with a CSI of 10, if opener's range is 77+,AQ+,ATs,KTs+,QTs+,JTs, you can unexploitably re-steal with 99+,AQ+,AJs+,KQs. Hope it makes sense now.

Tysen

JJay1231 10-20-2007 10:27 PM

Re: Resteal chart

what is the 6 max cash section of the book like? anyone?

I heard its a little "thin" and basically just a primer.....

Gallopin Gael 10-21-2007 03:35 PM

Re: Resteal chart

[ QUOTE ]
what is the 6 max cash section of the book like? anyone?

I heard its a little "thin" and basically just a primer.....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a fair assessment.

trojanrabbit 10-23-2007 12:38 PM

Available now at Amazon

Amazon's listing says "4-6 weeks" but that's wrong. They have it in stock and are shipping immediately. They should be updating their listing soon.

Also, there's a delivery on its way to PokerStars who will be carrying it in their store.

Tysen

brendangukl 10-23-2007 02:49 PM

Re: Available now at Amazon

Any idea when it might be available in the UK? Amazon.co.uk have is listed for Jan 2008. Seems like a long wait for them to get any.

dirty banana2007 10-23-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any idea when it might be available in the UK? Amazon.co.uk have is listed for Jan 2008. Seems like a long wait for them to get any.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess the next couple of weeks at the latest for Amazon uk.

Check the Highstakes website. They are a poker shop in London. They sent me an email today saying they would have copies available from the end of this week. They often have US new releases a week or two before Amazon uk.

Alternatively you could try Mike from Professional Poker, he seems to get books to people fairly quickly.

brendangukl 10-23-2007 03:12 PM

Thanks for the pointer but £28 is a bit steep. I'll wait and see how much amazon.co.uk list it for. Has anyone finished reading it yet? Im interested what people think of it