Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   WOW WOW OMG WTF BBQ new Coen brothers movie trailer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=427713)

JuntMonkey 06-15-2007 12:43 AM

Re: WOW WOW OMG WTF BBQ new Coen brothers movie trailer

Tails

NT! 06-15-2007 12:46 AM

pj, it's ok if you don't think lebowski is the best coen bros movie... there are times when i prefer raising arizona or o brother or fargo myself. but ranking it below such obvious fluff as intolerable cruelty - which i liked, but didn't find all that memorable? or behind the ladykillers, which i actually thought really sucked and was boring? i mean wtf. lebowski is a great movie even if you resent all the hammy cultural crap and sloganeering that it spawned.

protocol 06-15-2007 12:54 AM

Lebowski at #11? You're leveling us, right?

If not, watch it again. Seriously.

nath 06-15-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: p.s. plz make sure you don't have the contagious strain of ghey hipster, i don't want to wake up in ballhugging jeans listening to bloc party or something tomorrow

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I actually haven't seen enough of their dramas, and I kind of feel like the Big Lebowski is a little overrated, but it's still great

I remember really liking Fargo, but I did see it at a pretty formative movie-going age for me, so that might be part of it. I also completely [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] The Hudsucker Proxy.

bluef0x 06-15-2007 01:45 AM

Ladykillers is one of the worst movies ever, and you rate it above Lebowski? WTF?

I laughed ONCE during Ladykillers. It was with 15 minutes to go when I realized I wouldn't laugh at the movie, that notion had me cracking up.

kagame 06-15-2007 04:33 AM

#6 for omgwtfbbq...

a very long acronym, often defined as:

"Oh, by the name of God Himself! What in the righteous Lord is over there, Rigel? It seems to be a delightful friendly gathering in which one person cooks elongated processed meat over a grill and then dishes it out to everyone where they put it into a wrap of break and smear condiments on top of their delectable meat! Joy!"

YES!

Dominic 06-15-2007 04:51 AM

Raising Arizona
Blood Simple
Fargo
Miller's Crossing
O Brother Where Art Thou?
The Big Lebowski
The Man Who Wasn't There
Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Intolerable Cruelty

Didn't see Ladykillers

Stagger_Lee 06-15-2007 04:53 AM

Tommy Lee Jones - for [censored] sake.

Stagger_Lee 06-15-2007 04:56 AM

Fargo
Daylight
O Brother Where Art Thou?
The Big Lebowski

private joker 06-15-2007 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

pj,

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you did here.

NT -- I know it won't change your mind about IC, but here's a review I wrote that at least justifies why I think it is such a great movie (and I've seen it 4 times now):

[ QUOTE ]
If it had just been the funniest movie of the year (and it is), I wouldn’t like it this much. And if it had just been an expertly crafted statement on romance, equality, battle, cynicism, and institution, I wouldn’t like it this much. But it happens to be both of these things as well as containing the added intangible element that makes most Coen brothers films so remarkable: a grace and musicality that's immediately recognizable and distinctly unique.

While their best films remain their heaviest – in my opinion, Miller’s Crossing, Fargo, and The Man Who Wasn’t There – the Coens’ lightweight comedies show off a certain dexterity of dialogue that literally no one else in the industry can match. Their banter goes beyond the mimicry of classic Hollywood rom-coms of the ‘40s and elevates into a type of dance; the motif of repeated refrains and increasingly complicated one-line choruses, introduced in The Hudsucker Proxy and honed to near-perfection here, has an effect not unlike lyrics in a musical. And what better tone to set for such a wicked, sprightly comedy?

Another aspect present in all Coen films, dramatic and comic (and the ones in between), is their precise attention to miniscule visual details, an almost Kubrickian devotion to every spot in the frame. It takes a DP as strict as Roger Deakins to light and color the frame with such acuity, but it takes a creative mind as innovative as Joel Coen’s to add flourishes like the one in the greasy-spoon diner: Cedric the Entertainer (the first time this guy has made me laugh, his Spike Lee concert film notwithstanding) says firmly to his employers, “I see an ass, and I nail it!” while right behind him, the most perfectly sweet ass of a hot black chick walks right behind him, and he misses it. Coen even directs the extra to scratch one of her butt cheeks to draw our attention to the lovely derriere, but the absolute ignorance of the characters on screen is a great example of the visual ironies present in the best Coen gags.

Equally impressive is the performance given by George Clooney in the lead role, expertly tailored to his marquee hunk persona. He goes the extra mile, ridding himself of the quirks and forced wackiness of his O Brother, Where Art Thou? turn and bringing a confidence that melds spectacular physical comic timing (his race to the elevator in Vegas, his walk through the ballroom during the satirical “slow clap” at Caesar’s) with smooth, subtle facial suggestion (an imperceptible left-eye wink in the courtroom, a sly double take at a dinner date). Between this and Solaris, Clooney is finally proving himself worthy of the A-list accolades he unjustly received from such mediocrities as Ocean’s 11 and The Perfect Storm.

Yet what remains in the afterglow of this delightful flick is how bold its voice is, and how sharp its artistic focus is in light of the producer credit of one Brian Grazer (A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13). Where lesser artists might have sold out to Grazer’s mainstream demands, the Coens have brought Grazer to them – presenting the audience with the sheen of a mainstream romantic comedy starring two gorgeous Hollywood icons (Zeta-Jones deserves some praise for her low-key work as the feminine calm amidst massive male chaos) along with the underlying brutality of their most aggressively independent work and its refusal to succumb to the softening edges of its peers. That they were able to throw on top of all this a genuinely effective love story that complicates the film’s own cynicism is icing on a multi-layered cake and proof that it will take more than a big budget, a plot hole or two, and a greedy, artless producer to tame two of the finest filmmakers of the past 15 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stagger_Lee 06-15-2007 05:02 AM

I want you
I need you
But there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you
Now don't be sad
'Cause two outta three ain't bad

dmisfh1 06-15-2007 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

6. Barton Fink
7. Intolerable Cruelty
8. The Ladykillers
9. O Brother Where Art Thou
10. Blood Simple
11. The Big Lebowski

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you also believe that "The Godfather" does not belong in the top 100, if not top 10, all-time? Maybe then I can understand where you're coming from.

nath 06-15-2007 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

6. Barton Fink
7. Intolerable Cruelty
8. The Ladykillers
10. Blood Simple
11. The Big Lebowski

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you also believe that "The Godfather" does not belong in the top 100, if not top 10, all-time? Maybe then I can understand where you're coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]
...and people comparing The Big Lebowski to The Godfather are a perfect example of fanboydom gone too far.

dmisfh1 06-15-2007 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

6. Barton Fink
7. Intolerable Cruelty
8. The Ladykillers
10. Blood Simple
11. The Big Lebowski

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
...and people comparing The Big Lebowski to The Godfather are a perfect example of fanboydom gone too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... Ok, maybe that wasn't the best example. Comparing movies from two different genres probably never is. And if that's what you're getting at, then fine.

However, if you're implying that "The Godfather" is not a quality film that has a nearly flawless script, good directing, and great acting (and at the very least deserves a spot in the top 20 in its genre)... then yea, I guess I'm what you call a "Fan Boy" when it comes to this movie. Either that, or pearls before swine.

And this will be my last post in this forum for now, at least for the time being until things get better or I feel comfortable in expressing my own opinion. Thank you for blocking me. I have still to understand why, as I don’t even know what rule I broke to warrant a temporary ban. It most likely had to do with having a differing opinion from a particular mod. Whatever the reason, it doesn’t matter at this point anyway. However, it has shown me that I clearly do not belong here, and has confirmed what I already believed about this forum. Have fun in what this lurker has seen go from one of the best forums on 2+2 to one of the worst forums. I know I won’t be missed, and I’ll only be somewhat surprised if I’m banned again without reason, without being intentionally unkind or malicious towards anyone, and without breaking any rules.

Lastly, and I write this sincerely, to whoever controls this forum: This forum was once great and it can be great once again. But banning/blocking people who are simply asking questions or giving opinions in a respectful manner is certainly not a step in the right direction. I’m sure I wasn’t the first and unfortunately won’t be the last because of this policy.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 06-15-2007 08:20 AM

wow... the only movie ive seen so far listed is the ladykillers and thats because i was forced to in an airplane lounge, i probably rate it in the bottom 5 movies ive ever seen in my life.

are these guys really worth checking out?

miajag 06-15-2007 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow... the only movie ive seen so far listed is the ladykillers and thats because i was forced to in an airplane lounge, i probably rate it in the bottom 5 movies ive ever seen in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

O Brother... and Fargo are truly great movies imo. Lebowski is definitely worth watching also, though count me amongst those who doesn't really understand the obsession.

Thug Bubbles 06-15-2007 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yay: Miller's Crossing #1.

Boo: Barton Fink not on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

6. Barton Fink
7. Intolerable Cruelty
8. The Ladykillers
10. Blood Simple
11. The Big Lebowski

It was close!

[/ QUOTE ]

Blood Simple being so low is very interesting, especially being lower than Intolerable Cruelty. And by interesting I mean Facist Pig-fuckish.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

joey_joe_joe 06-15-2007 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling you a Philistine would be an understatement.

suzzer99 06-15-2007 10:19 AM

Fargo is the only Coen Bros movie I've really liked.

There I said it.

Limesparks 06-15-2007 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW Ridley Scott is supposed to direct Blood Meridian adaptation in a few years

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Super mixed feelings about this. Scott's style could work well with certain parts of the novel, especially the over-the-top operatic violence, I just hope he resists the urge to make it slick, or try to make the Kid a more prominent, likable character. I'd rather see him direct 'The Road', and leave Blood Meridian to someone deeper/scarier, like Cuaron or Von Trier or Scorsese or Coppola or Lynch...

Case Closed 06-15-2007 11:00 AM

This looks like a movie about a guy who kills people with a air compressor...am I missing something?

True 06-15-2007 02:41 PM

I saw the man that wasn't there the other day, it's alright no that great.

Ladykillers I looked forward to and I thought the same.

Big Lebowski I liked a lot aswell as Barton Fink.

Thug Bubbles 06-15-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW Ridley Scott is supposed to direct Blood Meridian adaptation in a few years

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Super mixed feelings about this. Scott's style could work well with certain parts of the novel, especially the over-the-top operatic violence, I just hope he resists the urge to make it slick, or try to make the Kid a more prominent, likable character. I'd rather see him direct 'The Road', and leave Blood Meridian to someone deeper/scarier, like Cuaron or Von Trier or Scorsese or Coppola or Lynch...

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott's style isn't slick, IMO. Maybe you're thinking of his brother, Tony Scott. Films like Alien and Blade Runner indicate a style perfectly suited for Blood Meridian (though they were early in his career). Even Gladiator which is an epic movie was shot in a gritty style (parts, at least) that would lend well to the a harsh desert landscape.

WayAbvPar 06-15-2007 02:43 PM

TBL
RA
Fargo
OBWAT
MC

In general I prefer their comedies to their dramas, but Fargo had plenty of dark humor in it.

kipin 06-15-2007 03:06 PM

I would consider Fargo a comedy more so than a Drama.

The reason why I repeatedly watch it is for its dark humor, not for its dramatical elements.

Blarg 06-15-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw the man that wasn't there the other day, it's alright no that great.

Ladykillers I looked forward to and I thought the same.

Big Lebowski I liked a lot aswell as Barton Fink.

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie is a great example of the kind of flick that gets much better as you keep watching it. I've liked it more every time I've watched it, and I wish I could watch it again. The first time through, at many points I wasn't sure I wanted to keep watching at all.

MicroMac 06-15-2007 03:44 PM

While RA, Fargo, and TBL are my favorites, I do not think that The Hudsucker Proxy ever gets enough credit. I was impressed that the OP had it in his top 5.

Since there hasn't been much discussion about Hudsucker in this thread, I think maybe it is because not enough people have seen it because it is so different than all other Coen Brother movies.

Please go out and watch it (or watch it again). It is good, you know, for kids.

Losing all 06-15-2007 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Didn't see Ladykillers

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't. I never walk out and I love C bros stuff, I didn't last 30 minutes into this piece of trash. It just keeps getting worse and worse until you leave or kill yourself.

1 BL
2 Fargo
3 MC
4 Fink (weird)
5 BS

1,047,977,028 Ladykweerz

cobrakai111 06-16-2007 12:28 AM

The O Danny Boy scene in Miller Crossing might be one of my favorite 4 minutes in film history. Just a perfect example of how the Coen Brothers can master the soundtrack, visuals and acting in one flawless moment (Its a spoiler if you haven't seen the movie yet http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jo-X3fqklCw)

Millers
Hudsucker
Fargo
O Bro
Barton
Lebowski
Blood simple

J.Brown 06-16-2007 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yay: Miller's Crossing #1.

Boo: Barton Fink not on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

6. Barton Fink
7. Intolerable Cruelty
8. The Ladykillers
10. Blood Simple
11. The Big Lebowski

It was close!

[/ QUOTE ]

joker i usually dig on your style, but the list gets ever worse imho after the top 5 ladykillers above lebowski, oh brother, and blood simple

i don't think ethan and joel would even agree with that sacrilege. please tell me i am getting leveled.

later. J.

private joker 06-16-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The O Danny Boy scene in Miller Crossing might be one of my favorite 4 minutes in film history. Just a perfect example of how the Coen Brothers can master the soundtrack, visuals and acting in one flawless moment (Its a spoiler if you haven't seen the movie yet http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jo-X3fqklCw)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that scene is incredible. Your link didn't work for me, so I'm embedding it here. I got chills again watching it:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jo-X3fqklCw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jo-X3fqklCw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Georgia Avenue 06-16-2007 06:49 PM

Yeah it's really:

1. Raising Arizona
2. Miller's Crossing
3. Whatever

Their other movies are great but a matter of taste as to which is better. These two are factually among the best movies ever made.

--GA

PS: Nice try Eskimo but the Cohen's are easily 20x better than Billy Shakespere

g-bebe 06-16-2007 07:34 PM

The Coen brothers are pretty good moviemakers, I definetly agree... but I'm more excited for other movies than this. The trailer didn't really do it for me.

Buckmulligan 06-16-2007 09:27 PM

intolerable cruelty = terribs.

ScottyP431 06-16-2007 09:46 PM

SPOILERS!

Discussion of the books ending follows

WARNING -SPOILERS********************************

To people who are worried about whether or not the ending will be changed (OTB, others), what are you referring to, chugar being a total badass and killing the wife just to keep his word, or the like 30 pages after that where the sheriffs just rambles about business? If its the later, can someone explain to me what you liked about that portion of the book, I don't really understand its appeal/purpose.

Austiger 06-17-2007 12:15 AM

Re: SPOILERS!

1 Raising Arizona (obv.)
2 Barton Fink
3 Miller's Crossing
4 Intolerable Cruelty
5 Fargo

The Big Lebowski started off good, but just went sprawling and was never able to come together at the end. The screenplay is seriously flawed. Looking forward to this new one.

Blarg 06-17-2007 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1 Raising Arizona (obv.)
2 Barton Fink
3 Miller's Crossing
4 Intolerable Cruelty
5 Fargo

The Big Lebowski started off good, but just went sprawling and was never able to come together at the end. The screenplay is seriously flawed. Looking forward to this new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an even bigger blasphemy on OOT than saying Jessica Alba isn't the most beautiful woman there ever was or will be, but I agree with you here.

mikech 06-18-2007 02:47 AM

who gives a f about lebowski, it wasn't that funny. the more important question is, where's the love for blood simple? it's merely one of the best american crime films of the past 25 years.

private joker 11-06-2007 02:36 PM

Everyone I know who saw it in Toronto loved it, and now another friend of mine saw a sneak preview last night and said it was great.

Officially stoked!

Sickboy 11-06-2007 03:53 PM

I saw it last night at the Variety screening..there was a Q and A afterwards with Brolin and Javier.

Movie was awesome...whats great is that it is very similar to Dead Calm..little to no music whatsoever throughout the film...just the actual sound of the given environment.

I hadn't read the book. Javier
s character is amazing. JB is solid. Movie was very funny too...lots of laughs. Very very violent.