Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Official NHL Playoffs Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374287)

MrFeelNothin 04-10-2007 12:08 AM

Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

.........But they will all be close, hard-fought series of course.

(with exception of Buffalo in 2, lol).

stealthcow 04-10-2007 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nowhere did I state the series will be a piece of cake. Stating the Sharks will win in 5 or 6 doesn't mean the series was easy. A series can be decided in 4 games and still be close.

Forwards are close, Nashville might have better depth but San Jose's very top-heavy and has a quality defensively responsible line. The size is also a HUGE advantage for the Sharks. Timmonen and Zidlicky are going to be having trouble the whole series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluef0x,

your extreme sharks optimism is nice, but way out of line. I think the sabres have the best chance in the east of making it to the finals, but i'd only put their chances at ~ 30%. Theres variance, injuries can kill a team (see buffalo last year) goalies can get hot etc.

Of the teams with what i consider to have <10% chance of making it to the finals, i'd put both the Sharks and Lightning in that group. Thorton's really gonna let you down in the playoffs again. The Sharks are def not a favorite against anaheim or vancouver. And concerning the lightning, in the "new" nhl, you can't win with 3 good players.

stealthcow-

bluef0x 04-10-2007 01:47 AM

Stealthcow,

Please update your sarcasm software, learn what a homer is, and know that predictions can't be out of line. "SHARKS ARE DEF NOT A FAVORITE AGAINST ANA OR VAN" ... lmao. Did I say they were the favorite? NO, IT'S A [censored] PREDICTION. Jeezus christ, why don't you all go take pinnacle's money if you guys know the outcome of every series?

Thanks.
bluef0x-

bluef0x 04-10-2007 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Predicting a 4-game sweep does not necessarily imply a belief that one team is clearly dominant. Touche.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet your the guy that looks at the score sheet, sees that Player X didn't score and immediately says "OMG X IS A CHOKER!" How about you watch some games, then decide?

Stealthcow,
Yes... Joe Thornton will let me down. I'm glad you know the future and my emotions. I was not disappointed with him last post season, fyi.

MrFeelNothin 04-10-2007 02:03 AM

Game G A P +/- PIM Sh Sh % TOI FO%
May 17, 2006 vs. EDM 0 0 0 -2 0 5 0.0 24:58 37.5

OMG JOE THORNTON IS A CHOKER!

Tuco 04-10-2007 03:59 AM

Sabres/Isles: Buff in 5.

Forwards? Huge edge to Buff
Defense? Buff
Goaltending? Buff
Special teams? Buff
Intagibles? Buff

The fisherman have been playing playoff hockey for a couple weeks now, but this is a mis-match. Isles D is god awful and is up against the most complete set of forwards in the playoffs. Sabres D is nothing to get excited about, however, and may cost them on their way to the cup.

Devils/Lightning: TB in 6

Forwards? Huge edge to TB
Defense? Small edge to NJ
Goaltending? OMG why ask
Special teams? small edge TB

This is one of my upset picks. Gomez, Elias and Gionta have struggled most of the year. TB is going to have to bring it's A game, but I think they will. Their D is somewhat suspect, but adding O'Brien helps. Holmqvist is certainly going to have to play well, but it's not like NJ comes at you in waves. TB was 3-1 against the Devils this year so they seem to match up well.

Thrashers/Rangers: NYR in 6

Forwards? Small edge to ATL
Defense? Edge to ATL
Goaltending? Big edge to NYR
Special teams? Big edge to NYR
Intangibles? Edge to NYR

Atlanta made a good aquisition in Tkachuk, but a more important one was picking up Zhitnik to bolster what was a pretty weak D. Thrashers have been pretty hot down the stretch, but NY has been on fire. Most importantly, their goaltending has been great. Shanahan back is huge as well.

Penguins/Senators: Ott in 7

Forwards? Even
Defense? Edge to Ott
Goaltending? Even
Special teams? Even
Intagibles? Edge to Pitt

These teams are so evenly matched. I think the difference comes in the fact that when these games go to overtime, the Sens have a wealth of playoff experience to draw on. Sens are also a bit deeper up front in terms of playoff type players like Mike Fisher. Defense isn't really close. Sens much better with Redden and Phillips. The one guy that could change this outcome is MA Fluery. If he stands on his head the Pens could be moving on.

Wings/Flames: Cal in 6

Forwards? Big edge to Wings
Defense? Big edge to Flames
Goaltending? Edge to Flames
Special Teams? Even
Intagibles? Big edge to Flames

Detroit is a good team, but feasting on a weak division all year makes them look better than they are. Calgary is a team with a style built for the playoffs. Add in Kiprusoff to the mix and you have a tough team to play against, especially for a team that tends to implode in the playoffs like Detroit. Bertuzzi and Hasek are wild cards, but I think Calgary really likes their matchup here.

Ducks/Wild: Ana in 6

Forwards? Edge to Min
Defense? OMG why ask
Goaltending? Even
Special teams? Even
Intagibles? Edge to Ana

Yes the Wild have been playing well. But they now have to face a big, tough and mean team game after game. Anaheim will pound the Wild's somewhat weak D into submission. Contrast with two of the best all-time defensemen in history still in their prime and that is where this series is decided.

Canucks/Stars: Van in 6

Forwards? Even
Defense? Big edge to Van
Goaltending? Edge to Van
Special teams? Even
Intangibles? Even

Both teams don't score much. Look for these games to all be 2-1 type affairs. Vancouver is scary good in one-goal games and has Luongo. Canucks D is very good with the emergence of Bieksa and will shut down. The big win over SJ at the tank when they needed it tells you that Van is going to be focused for this series.

Preds/Sharks: SJ in 6

Forwards? Even
Defense? Even
Goaltending? Edge to SJ
Special teams? Even
Intagibles? Even

While Nashville is probably deeper up front, they can't match the Sharks combo down the middle of Thornton and Marleau. This series is going to be a war with tons of hitting. Both teams like to intimidate and neither will back down. Goaltending is going to be the difference here with Nabokov.

Tuco.

Needle77 04-10-2007 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Devils FTW. Maybe them being good this year will get me back into hockey. Losing season tickets + strike killed my love for the sport, hopefully some good classic NJ hockey will have me enjoy the sport again. I loved their game on Sunday even though it was a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding? that game was terrible. they got lucky and put two in late - they played abysmal hockey, i almost turned off the TV.

this is not the year to become a Devils fan again. 2009 seems like a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was the fact that I just hadn't seen a hockey game in a very long time. I hate the fact that I only get the flyers here at school. But, why '09? '08 going to be a bad year?

Equal 04-10-2007 07:47 AM

Wow, I guess it's because most of you guys are Easterners, but Minnesota is going to destroy the Ducks. The Wild can easily win the Cup. And this is coming from a Vancouver fan and I hate the Wild.

I thought my team was underrated.

Basically the Wild are the Devils but with Crosby and Malkin. That's not much of an exaggeration either.

mosuavea 04-10-2007 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rick DiPietro: Expected to be in goal for Game 1 of the series after missing nine of the last 13 games of the year with concussion woes, DiPietro is the Islanders’ most important player. It was a struggle to win games without him down the stretch and his expected return will give the Isles an emotional lift, in addition to leveling the play between the pipes in the series. DiPietro has never won a playoff series, but in his last cameo – in 2004 against the Lightning – he showed flashes of brilliance, including his first career postseason shutout against the Bolts. This season, the 25-year old went 32-19-9 in 62 games with a 2.58 GAA and a .919 save-percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to NHL.com DiPietro is going to get the nod for Game 1. Doesn't matter, the Isles may steal a game but there is no way they're going to take the series. Sabres are just too deep and too good for them. Nice job on making the playoffs though, although my extra pair of seats would have gotten me triple the value had the Laughs sneaked in.

1 Buffalo vs 8 New York Islanders

Buffalo in 4

2 New Jersey vs 7 Tampa Bay

New Jersey in 6

3 Atlanta vs 6 New York Rangers

Rangers in 6

4 Ottawa vs 5 Pittsburgh

Ottawa in 7

WEST

1 Detroit vs 8 Calgary

Calgary in 7

2 Anaheim vs 7 Minnesota

Anaheim 5

3 Vancouver vs 6 Dallas

Vancouver 6

4 Nashville vs 5 San Jose

San Jose 6

JaredL 04-10-2007 08:38 AM

You guys know where I can find TV listings?

edit: VS website apparently has them.

GambleGamble 04-10-2007 09:35 AM

1 Buffalo vs 8 New York Islanders

Buffalo in 6
Nolan will find a way to steal a couple, and I am the standard pessimistic Buffalo fan, who only pictures what could go wrong...Buffalo needs to crush there hopes in game 1 as quickly as possible like a nice 4-1 win!

2 New Jersey vs 7 Tampa Bay

New Jersey in 7
Every game will be close

3 Atlanta vs 6 New York Rangers

Rangers in 7
Expect a wild series in this one, with a blowout or 2 and some OTs in there

4 Ottawa vs 5 Pittsburgh

Ottawa in 6
Crosby can prove he has what it takes in the playoffs, but Pitt just too weak everywhere else (Def, Goal)

WEST

1 Detroit vs 8 Calgary

Detroit in 6
Mika gets hot hot its different story, Detroit is due to break out of its playoff funks

2 Anaheim vs 7 Minnesota

Anaheim 7
Probably one of the best series to watch, Minny is WAY better than the 7 seed

3 Vancouver vs 6 Dallas

Vancouver 5
Luongo vs Turco....need more be said

4 Nashville vs 5 San Jose
San Jose 6
Unless Nashvile has just been coasting along knowing they were in, San Jose should walk away with this one. Nashville is the best option as the team who makes a goalie change and gets hot though

Triumph36 04-10-2007 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I guess it's because most of you guys are Easterners, but Minnesota is going to destroy the Ducks. The Wild can easily win the Cup. And this is coming from a Vancouver fan and I hate the Wild.

Basically the Wild are the Devils but with Crosby and Malkin. That's not much of an exaggeration either.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY? That's a huge exaggeration. Where's Martin Brodeur on that Wild team? Nicklas Backstrom? The Wild lack in both defense and goaltending.

As for Tuco - the Lightning have a 'huge edge' in forwards? Have you seen the rest of the guys they put out there past the Big 3? Elias, Gomez, and Gionta have had an off-year for sure - but considering they can get hot at any time, and that the Devils actually have 2 scoring lines and one excellent checking line - I can't see giving Tampa a huge edge.

DonkeyKongSr 04-10-2007 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I will bump my point that the Predators are in the best position to win now - this was their year to go to for it. In the salary cap era, you cannot sit on your hands like Brian Burke is out in Anaheim - you MUST make moves when your team is a contender, or risk ending a winning cycle without the Stanley Cup. The Senators are in danger of this as well, and the Sabres too, though to a lesser extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Burke made the biggest move of the year before the season n getting Pronger. He didn't need to make a major midseason move.

A pile of injuries in late Decmeber through January is the only thing that kept this team from winning the President's Trophy. Other than Todd Marchant, their #4 center, the Ducks are healthy right now.

DonkeyKongSr 04-10-2007 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bunch of people have predicted Anaheim over Minnesota in 4 or 5 games.

I don't know what NHL you guys are watching, this should be a great series. The Wild are a completely different team with Gaborik back and with Backstrom/Harding in place of Fernandez. Don't let the seedings fool you.

Wild with Gaborik- 33-14
Wild without Gaborik- 15-20

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wild may be good, but the Ducks are one of the best, if not the best in the NHL when healthy.

With Niedermayer, Pronger, and Beauchemin: 41-12-11
Without any one of those 3: 7-8-3

Oh yeah, and former Conn Smythe winner Giguere is 36-10-8 this year, the 3rd best winning percentage in the league.

Amazingly from what I've seen, people are way underestimating the Ducks in a lot of places right now.

DonkeyKongSr 04-10-2007 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. There's no way the Wild destroy the Ducks. First off, they absolutely suck on the road. Worst road record of any playoff team. No home ice advantage is going to hurt them.

Then, they aren't exactly superdeep offensively, as shown by their non-Gaborik record. #1 lines don't do well against the Ducks thanks to the R. Niedermayer-Pahlsson-Moen line being one of the best checking lines in the league. Gaborik and Demitra will play against those guys as much as possible. If they get through them, they need to get through Norris Torphy winners Niedermayer or Pronger. Then past Conn Smythe winner Giguere.

The key to beating the Ducks is to get production out of your 2nd and 3rd lines.

GambleGamble 04-10-2007 12:33 PM

Wes Mantooth 04-10-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....As for Tuco - the Lightning have a 'huge edge' in forwards? Have you seen the rest of the guys they put out there past the Big 3? Elias, Gomez, and Gionta have had an off-year for sure - but considering they can get hot at any time, and that the Devils actually have 2 scoring lines and one excellent checking line - I can't see giving Tampa a huge edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, in addition the Devils hold the easy advantage with special teams play... Devils are 4th in the NHL in penalty kill, Lighting is 28th... on the power play Lighting is 17th and the Devils are 23rd.

DonkeyKongSr 04-10-2007 12:42 PM

A really interesting chart that shows that the Ducks record actually doesn't show how good they truly were this year. Many of the Ducks losses came to non-playoff teams. Playing down to their competition or some such stuff. That's bad right? Well, not if you play your best hockey against playoff teams. This table shows the goal differential of the Western playoff teams only in games played amongst eachother. Look who's in first. Look who else is positive...wait, no one else is positive.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...amGoalDiff.jpg

MrFeelNothin 04-10-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

holla.

see you in the conference finals. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SL__72 04-10-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY? That's a huge exaggeration. Where's Martin Brodeur on that Wild team? Nicklas Backstrom? The Wild lack in both defense and goaltending.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say the Wild lack in defense and goal tending when they allowed fewer goals then any other team this year?

They also had the highest save percentage.

Triumph36 04-10-2007 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say the Wild lack in defense and goal tending when they allowed fewer goals then any other team this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

watch the playoffs, then you'll see.

didn't the stars win the Jennings Trophy a few years back and get knocked out of the playoffs with ease? I know it happened to the Devils in 04 as well. Ah, the variance of the playoffs.

FWIW, the Devils were a better defensive and goaltending team than any of them - but they play in the East, where there's many more higher scoring teams.

MrFeelNothin 04-10-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

watch the playoffs, then you'll see.

didn't the stars win the Jennings Trophy a few years back and get knocked out of the playoffs with ease? I know it happened to the Devils in 04 as well. Ah, the variance of the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So now you can predict which way the variance will go?

Damn, i wish i had that talent.

Seriously though, i think you are not giving Backstrom enough credit. The one word i can use to describe him is solid- he doesn't make any flashy saves, but he is always in position and he controls his rebounds so he never has bad games.

Plus we have our "goalie-of-the-future" lurking in the grass- Josh Harding. I seem to remember a couple of rookie goaltenders coming out of nowhere last year and saving Anaheim and Carolina. We might put Fernandez in before Harding if it comes down to it though in which case this is a moot point.

MrFeelNothin 04-10-2007 03:17 PM

I'm not going to disagree with you that the Ducks were one of the top teams in the NHL this year. They were not my preferred choice of first round opponents.

However I also think the Wild were right up there in the top 5 over the last half of the year. So I think this is the best first round matchup.

bluef0x 04-10-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A really interesting chart that shows that the Ducks record actually doesn't show how good they truly were this year. Many of the Ducks losses came to non-playoff teams. Playing down to their competition or some such stuff. That's bad right? Well, not if you play your best hockey against playoff teams. This table shows the goal differential of the Western playoff teams only in games played amongst eachother. Look who's in first. Look who else is positive...wait, no one else is positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if there weren't points for losing in OT and shoot out wins were jut worth 1 point. The Sharks would have the President's Trophy. If SO wins were worth 2, they'd still be tied for first in the West with Nashville. Anaheim would be 6th.

You can't advance losing in OT during the playoffs. Anaheim's record is inflated heavily.

EDIT: Instead of giving a point for OT/SO losses, they should just give a point for all games decided by just one goal. Same [censored] thing.

g-bebe 04-10-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute chart, but that definetly doesn't tell the full story. I definetly think Anahiem will win their series vs. Minnesota, but they're not that big of a favourite over the Wild, that's for sure.

Not to mention, Vancouver at the bottom of that list is just silly.

GambleGamble 04-10-2007 04:32 PM

...in the poll so far 2 people have voted for the Islanders to win it all...

...if its not sarcasm, I would love to hear how they will get passed Buffalo let alone the rest of the contenders?

DonkeyKongSr 04-10-2007 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if there weren't points for losing in OT and shoot out wins were jut worth 1 point. The Sharks would have the President's Trophy. If SO wins were worth 2, they'd still be tied for first in the West with Nashville. Anaheim would be 6th.

You can't advance losing in OT during the playoffs. Anaheim's record is inflated heavily.

EDIT: Instead of giving a point for OT/SO losses, they should just give a point for all games decided by just one goal. Same [censored] thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell? Are you just making up rules now? There are rules in the NHL that say the Ducks had a better regular season than the Sharks. Quit your whining.

Anyway, the Ducks are fine in OT. Actually, they are better than the Sharks in OT. In games finished in OT, the Ducks are 5-4 and the Sharks are 1-3. Anyway, playoff OT's are 5 on 5, so SO and OT stats mean nothing now.

Triumph36 04-10-2007 04:34 PM

FeelNothin -

in the playoffs, you're always playing good teams - I feel like this is more likely to wear a team like the Wild down than other clubs, given their talent level. Hence my predicting variance - of course the Wild could go to the Cup Finals, maybe even win - but with the makeup of their team, I don't see them beating Anaheim.

let's drop the [censored] puck already though.

DonkeyKongSr 04-10-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it silly? That chart says that the Canucks were heavily outscored against playoff teams. I'm guessing a look at their record against playoff teams will show a correlation.

EDIT: I just looked it up. Vancouver was 17-15-3 against Western playoff teams. My Ducks: 20-10-6.

bluef0x 04-10-2007 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it silly? That chart says that the Canucks were heavily outscored against playoff teams. I'm guessing a look at their record against playoff teams will show a correlation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can almost find any stat to show team A is better than team B. Your little chart doesn't prove anything for the post-season.

DonkeyKongSr 04-10-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can almost find any stat to show team A is better than team B. Your little chart doesn't prove anything for the post-season.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my edit with records for Vancouver and Anaheim. It absolutely shows that Vancouver is only mediocre against quality competition and the Ducks are very good.

Triumph36 04-10-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See my edit with records for Vancouver and Anaheim. It absolutely shows that Vancouver is only mediocre against quality competition and the Ducks are very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

variance ftw.

the regular season has so many idiosyncracies with regard to travel and injuries that nothing can be gleaned from this except that Anaheim did better against playoff teams this year. It has no predictive value whatsoever.

westside8 04-10-2007 05:00 PM

Predictions time?

Buffalo over New York Islanders in 5
New Jersey over Tampa Bay in 6
New York Rangers over Atlanta in 6
Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 7

Detroit over Calgary in 6
Anaheim over Minnesota in 5
Vancouver over Dallas in 6
Nashville over San Jose in 7

bluef0x 04-10-2007 05:01 PM

Everyone making predictions from now on please include:

Anaheim over Wild in 4
and
Wild over Anaheim in 4

It has been PROVEN that both of these outcomes will happen.

SL__72 04-10-2007 05:07 PM

The Wild are clearly a better team w/ Gaborik then without him and they split the season series w/ Anaheim even though Gaborik only played 1 of the games!

Wild in 4!

MrFeelNothin 04-10-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

let's drop the [censored] puck already though.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen, the anticipation is killing me.

B00T 04-10-2007 05:26 PM

overtime records mean nothing when comparing teams in the playoffs

g-bebe 04-10-2007 05:42 PM

No, don't drop the puck for another two weeks. This thread needs more HATE.

Anahiem sucks. DonkeyKongSr is a huge donkey.

Minnesota's getting swept first round. So is Anahiem. VAN for Stanley Cup champions!

Tuco 04-10-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Please do some more research. I dont have the stas but I can guarantee you that Van has a better record against western playoff teams the second half of the season. Games in March are much more relevant than games in Oct.

Tuco.

DonkeyKongSr 04-10-2007 07:35 PM

Buffalo over New York Islanders in 5
New Jersey over Tampa Bay in 5
Atlanta over Rangers in 6
Ottawa over Pittsburgh in 7

Detroit over Calgary in 6
Anaheim over Minnesota in 5
Vancouver over Dallas in 6
San Jose over Nahville in 6

I don't like picking winners in 7, because then I'm basically saying I have no idea and I'm coinflipping. Ottawa-Pittsburgh I am coinflipping.