Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Hacker Attack (All Info Game Thread - Feb 19 Start) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=335253)

econophile 02-19-2007 11:18 AM

Re: Hacker Attack (All Info Game Thread - Feb 19 Start)

books

who needs seers?

DustinG 02-19-2007 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if i'm reading durron's rules right, the possible seer allocations are:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>normal plus insane paranoid plus naive useless
8 10 6
7 12 5
6 12 6
5 12 7
4 14 6
3 14 7
2 14 8 </pre><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

You have it wrong. There are more useless seers than paranoids/naives, and more paranoids/naives than normal/insane.

[ QUOTE ]

# Useless Seer is within 1 of # Paranoid Useless (so like 37 of each or 37 of one and 38 of the other, obviously those numbers are wrong)

Both of those have more of each than

Paranoid = Naive; these are the same.

Both of those have more of each than Normal and Insane, which are also within 1 (so there are 5 normal seers and 5 insane seers, or 4 and 5, etc. but not 3 and 5).

[/ QUOTE ]

Neil S 02-19-2007 11:19 AM

If peeking the dead works, we're in great shape, heh.

econophile 02-19-2007 11:21 AM

dustin,

durron says that the number of useless is within 1 of the paranoid, but does not say that there are more useless than paranoid.

HerbieGRD 02-19-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if i'm reading durron's rules right, the possible seer allocations are:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>normal plus insane paranoid plus naive useless
8 10 6
7 12 5
6 12 6
5 12 7
4 14 6
3 14 7
2 14 8 </pre><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe the rules are
Useless = (Paranoid useless +-1)
Paranoid = Naive
Regular = (Insane +-1)
(U+PU) &gt; (P+N) &gt; (R+I)

The above chart is....not right. I will work out all possible combos when I get some time here at work if no one else has done it already.

econophile 02-19-2007 11:23 AM

ack dustin

you're right . . . didn't realize there were 6 types of seers.

DustinG 02-19-2007 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also as my previous posts imply it is imperative that everyone post their correct peeks every day and not FPS them even if you suspect that you are a real seer and may get eaten for posting it (Luckay I am talking to you).

[/ QUOTE ]Hmmm... the question is, who gets the greater information advantage if we all pool our data? I'm leaning against this being a good idea but I'm not sure yet. If they're not finding out who we peeked until after we did it, they can't mess it up. I'll have to think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
If we don't pool our data then we are essentially playing an average speed game with no seers. The only way that the village will ever get any useful information this game is by compiling peeks and figuring out who could be what kind of seer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this helps the wolfs a lot more than it helps us. They are going to be able to start narrowing it down quicker, and to make nightkills that really screw us up if we try and read into them too much.

But that is also their dilemma too- if we all post of our peeks, and the wolves then go an off somebody who implicates them they have a problem. But they also can't just let possible seers either. I think if we all coordinated early then we could probably get one or two wolfs as a result before our useful/paranoid seers got killed off (and the wolfs will know who they before we do). And then after that we could have no seers with 5 wolfs still out there.

Zurvan 02-19-2007 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think we play normally for the first few days and try to lynch a wolf. If you get a wolf response from your peek I would then either peek yourself or a dead villager to see if they come back 'villager'. That is the easiest way to narrow down the type of seer you are. You could still be useless under that scenario, but you are more likely to be a straight seer or insane which is almost as good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't peek yourself or dead people.

Zurvan 02-19-2007 11:30 AM

Oh yeah, my strategy contribution. I hesitate to say this, because as soon as I post it, most people will decide to do the opposite.

But, the first 3 or 4 days, you should be trying to peek people that are likely to die, to calibrate your seerness as much as possible. We should not be posting peek info. That allows the wolves to [censored] with us too much, and narrows down the real seer possibilities for them very quickly.

Once you think you have yourself nailed down in terms of usefulness, then come out. If you think you're a real seer, try to get a few peeks of people unlikely to die. If you think you're NOT a real seer, say so, and say why. But listing peeks daily is ridiculous. Durron might as well post a list of real seers in thread on Wednesday for the wolves.

MDoranD 02-19-2007 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also as my previous posts imply it is imperative that everyone post their correct peeks every day and not FPS them even if you suspect that you are a real seer and may get eaten for posting it (Luckay I am talking to you).

[/ QUOTE ]

herbie,

why would we do this? Seems like the wolves will have 1/2 of us crossed off their "real seer" list on the 1st day.

HerbieGRD 02-19-2007 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, my strategy contribution. I hesitate to say this, because as soon as I post it, most people will decide to do the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't worry Zurv, I had decided we should do the opposite before you posted it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

wdcbooks 02-19-2007 11:34 AM

Zurvan, I am with you except for coming out. If you are not a worthwhile seer then I think you do the best you can to name wolves and villagers as normal. Coming out and saying it just crosses you off the list for the wolves.

I suspect wolves will claim 'useless seer' more often than the other types.

Zurvan 02-19-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zurvan, I am with you except for coming out. If you are not a worthwhile seer then I think you do the best you can to name wolves and villagers as normal. Coming out and saying it just crosses you off the list for the wolves.

I suspect wolves will claim 'useless seer' more often than the other types.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, that was kinda dumb. I was thinking, about insane seers there, but they're as good as a real seer.

The main point I'm trying to make is, don't post your peeks every day, only post them when you think you have some valid information to be gained by doing so.

wdcbooks 02-19-2007 11:38 AM

Right, and if you are not a worthwhile seer then you should do your best to make the wolves think you are. Having the wolves kill a paranoid or naive seer is a pretty decent result.

LuckayLuck 02-19-2007 11:38 AM

Guys,
I have a really good plan. I have to keep it secret in order for it to work. Rest assured, it's a good plan and worthy of my name.

However, I will say this:
I am peeking somebody I consider to be a good player today.

HerbieGRD 02-19-2007 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

herbie,

why would we do this? Seems like the wolves will have 1/2 of us crossed off their "real seer" list on the 1st day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because insane seers are just as useful as real seers. I can see that a lot of people disagree with me here but the basic points of my strategy are this.

1. Compile all peeks and keep a list of who could be what kind of seer and who couldn't

2. Narrow down what type of seer each person could be or couldn't be based on their lists

3. Use this information later on to hopefully be able to clear people as villagers or nail wolves with a high degree of probability.

In the first 2-3 days everyone's peeks are going to be completely useless. In the endgame the peeks of people who died the first 2-3 days are going to be very valuable to us. Also we get a lot more information based on who gets eaten each night if everyone is posting peeks every day - we just have to use that information carefully

soah 02-19-2007 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't worry Zurv, I had decided we should do the opposite before you posted it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

DustinG 02-19-2007 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But, the first 3 or 4 days, you should be trying to peek people that are likely to die, to calibrate your seerness as much as possible. We should not be posting peek info. That allows the wolves to [censored] with us too much, and narrows down the real seer possibilities for them very quickly.

Once you think you have yourself nailed down in terms of usefulness, then come out. If you think you're a real seer, try to get a few peeks of people unlikely to die. If you think you're NOT a real seer, say so, and say why. But listing peeks daily is ridiculous. Durron might as well post a list of real seers in thread on Wednesday for the wolves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this almost %100. But would it be correct to come out so early? Why not try and get a few peaks in before the wolfs get you? Of course you'd be gambling that you didn't get nightkilled. But its probably going to take 6 or 7 nights minimum before anyone has 3 peeks and corresponding kills, so if by then we are lucky enough to get a wolf or two, and you have a couple wolf-peeks yourself, then perhaps coming out would be smart. But if all 7 wolfs remain and you only have 1, then I think gambling is probably smarter. But we are getting ahead of ourseleves.

amplify 02-19-2007 11:40 AM

kbar

I wish the Lord would go ahead and take me, my back is in spasms and I can't hardly stand it.

xorbie 02-19-2007 11:41 AM

im going to just assume anyone who does nothing but talk strategy is a wolf.

soah 02-19-2007 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because insane seers are just as useful as real seers.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

soah 02-19-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what about ppl who just say "QFT"?

kyro 02-19-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool, I already think you're a wolf, because you posted something that was completely reasonable.

yeah, i don't get it either.

soah 02-19-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered just saying QFT to that post tbh

xorbie 02-19-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well i think you're evil anyway but that certainly doesn't help.

econophile 02-19-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, we've already established that you can peek yourself [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

DustinG 02-19-2007 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

herbie,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by day one because of the insane seers, but by day two they could eliminate a lot of people.

soah 02-19-2007 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well i think you're evil anyway but that certainly doesn't help.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if I vote chuckles?

econophile 02-19-2007 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, we've already established that you can't peek yourself [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP

Stephen H 02-19-2007 11:49 AM

I'm really tempted to just play as if there aren't any seers and go from there. 7 wolves seems like a lot - how can we miss one today?

Kyro is a good starting point.

xorbie 02-19-2007 11:49 AM

yeah soah is definitely evil

xorbie 02-19-2007 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really tempted to just play as if there aren't any seers and go from there. 7 wolves seems like a lot - how can we miss one today?

[/ QUOTE ]

also evil

kyro 02-19-2007 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone remind me if Stephen is always this obvious?

xorbie 02-19-2007 11:51 AM

stephen h

Neil S 02-19-2007 11:52 AM

Xorbie

kbar13 02-19-2007 11:54 AM

herbie

amplify 02-19-2007 11:54 AM

OK, maybe stephen h made a little mistake there but he's a knucklehead anyway so it doesn't mean much.

ScottHoward 02-19-2007 11:55 AM

neilstevens is wolf
see you all tomorrow

kyro 02-19-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
neilstevens is wolf
see you all tomorrow

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

soah 02-19-2007 12:02 PM

actually, keep our peeks to ourselves for a little while is probably better. I was operating under a faulty understanding of how the random seers worked when I thought that sharing asap would be best.