Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pizza Delivery Tip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288575)

catalyst 12-21-2006 07:03 PM

Re: Pizza Delivery Tip

[ QUOTE ]
Every pizza I delivered I did it with the attitude I wasnt getting a tip. So I would never ask "do you want change?" or "how much change do you want?" or any of that crap. They paid, I gave them the change, and id turn around and start to leave. If they handed me anything I said thank you like I would say it if I wasnt expecting to get anything. I pretty much always made more in tips than the other drivers who did the "standard" routine you got. And I think my attitude was why. Not saying I wasnt above tricks like the dirty dollar and what not, but even when I was doing them I still carried the attitude that I didnt expect a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would you actually give them $4.74 back (in this case, with a $15.26 order) if they didn't ask for an amount back when handing your the bill? I'm not saying it's wrong or right or whatever, just seems tedious to be pulling out change all the time.

szw 12-21-2006 07:05 PM

It makes it much easier on the driver to mention how much change you want back. Often I'd ask how much change they'd like, because its a lot easier than counting out exact change and then getting back all the pennies and nickles after I'm done (which happened about 5% of the time, enough to piss you off).

dchz 12-21-2006 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I order some pizza for delivery.
The total is like $15.26

The pizza delivery guy comes to the door,
I give him a $20.

Pizza Guy: "Do you want change?"
Me (thinking): Yeah, I'm not going to tip you like $5 on a $15 order, dipwad"
Me (speaking): Yes

Pizza Guy: "How much change do you want?"
Me (thinking): HOW MUCH CHANGE DO I WANT? WTF!!!! UHHH, HOW ABOUT THE CORRECT AMOUNT? OR MAYBE FORGET THE ODD CENTS AND GIVE ME $4, AND THEN I WILL DECIDE WHAT, IF ANY, TIP YOU GET.

So what do you say to the how much change do you want question?

[/ QUOTE ]

stop being a cheap ass and give the man the 20

szw 12-21-2006 07:07 PM

regarding what alobar said he does, I did that for a week until it got too annoying to count out change. I don't think anyone ever was offended by my question, it seems very standard.

udbrky 12-21-2006 07:27 PM

I once delivered to a guy. It was dark and his order was $9.50. He gives me a bill and I'm trying to see if it's a 10 or 20 since he was an idiot and didn't turn on his light. I see it's a 10 and I'm diggin in my pocket for change and he says "Don't worry about it and shuts the door." When I got back, I found out he called our call center - who takes 99% of the orders - and told them I didn't have change to give him and they gave him a free pizza. After that, I made sure I always gave change back - or at least tried to.

chesspain 12-21-2006 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The standard way to avoid this awkward situation is to state the amount of change you want back as you are handing him the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

cardcounter0 12-21-2006 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
regarding what alobar said he does, I did that for a week until it got too annoying to count out change. I don't think anyone ever was offended by my question, it seems very standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way alobar said he did is the correct way, and doing it the correct way as alobar found out, he got more in tips.

Too anoying to count out change? Gee, too bad but that is uhhh... YOUR JOB.

Asking how much change they want might SEEM standard to a moron pizza delivery guy, but it is not. I know for a fact that 99% of my purchases, I give the cashier, waitress, clerk, etc. some money and they give me back my change.

I can't recall the clerk in a grocery store asking me how much change I want, or the gas station attendent after a $19.95 fill up asking me if I want change back from my $20

Of course, in conjunction with the moron pizza delivery guy who thinks giving customers their change is a pain, or asking instead of waiting to receive tips, is standard -- are the morons who don't know how to count out change.

If the cash register didn't tell them what to give you, they wouldn't have a clue. And then they give it to you in a big lump, instead of counting it out. BUT THAT IS A WHOLE OTHER TOPIC OF "STANDARD" BEHAVIOR in our increasingly rude stupid society.

BiPolar_Nut 12-21-2006 08:54 PM

I've delivered pizza, I've driven cabs. I consider 15% average....and if I order a tip-able service I generally go 20% and round up to the next dollar. Others say "If you're bringing me food, it's worth at least $5". Others are tightwads playing power games and convince themselves they'll "tip well" unless challenged, in which case they go on some ridiculous ego trip and feel justified tipping $0.

Come on, people.....if you're willing to pay for delivery and they deliver you the expected item in the expected time, then give them 15-20%. If you can't afford that, than don't order the freaking food in the first place.

If they give horrible service or are late, then it's a different situation, but geez....don't order delivery if you can't afford to tip or need to find some nit reason not to tip. Grow up. It's a cupla bucks more for a pizza....phone in the order and drive there and pick it up yourself if you're too damn cheap to tip. It's not complicated.

Dane S 12-21-2006 09:07 PM

Wow, power trip much? Don't take out your angst on the delivery dude... the downfall of society is not specifically his fault.

evank15 12-21-2006 09:11 PM

I paid for my pizza the other day with all change.

Does this make me cheap?

The way I looked at, the sock drawer payed for pizza that night.

Granted it was all loonies and toonies, but I still felt kind of cheap. And I gave the girl $16 for a $14.32 bill. I thought that was fair.

El Diablo 12-21-2006 09:16 PM

cc,

How old are you? How the f do you get through life not knowing things like how to efficiently carry out a pizza delivery payment transaction?

As others have said, the pizza will be $x. You either hand him $x+tip or hand him a bill >$x and ask for some amount of change back.

Can't wait 'til you need to take a cab somewhere, I'm sure that'll be a fun transaction for you. I really wonder what some of you guys would do if you had to figure out by yourself how to get through a week's worth of life someplace like NYC.

udbrky 12-21-2006 09:17 PM

It's not always the driver's fault it's late. Sometimes, 3-4 people call in at the same time and there's just 1 driver. Sometimes, the cooks mess up. Sometimes, the boss is just an idiot and keeps scheduling someone who hasn't shown up for 3 weeks and you get screwed when 2 others don't show up and you're the only driver after 9 on a Friday and there's already 15 orders up that are all late.

cardcounter0 12-21-2006 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, power trip much? Don't take out your angst on the delivery dude... the downfall of society is not specifically his fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a power trip, and it is not really the driver's fault.

But the number of people calling a stupid transparent ploy to get tips "standard", or now the customer is expected to state beforehand how much change he wants back -- that is certainly a symptom of the dumbing down of America.

udbrky 12-21-2006 09:26 PM

I think the driver should by default give the customer the full amount back (I rounded to the nearest quarter, always giving the customer more back - i.e. it's x.87, I gave a quarter and the dollar amount).

But if you're saying that the customer telling the driver how much they want back is indicative of the dumbing down of America, I disagree wholeheartedly. It speeds up the process, allowing you to get to your food faster and them to get onto their next delivery faster. They have a job to do and it doesn't end with you. It's just common courtesy to say "here's a $20, please give me $3 back, thank you, have a nice night."

cardcounter0 12-21-2006 09:37 PM

I get through life just fine. And I take cabs and carry out simple financial transactions all the time.

Usually as the cabby (or pizza guy) is flipping through bills, I say "keep it" or give me $x back, and that is the way I always do it. I really couldn't hand them $x+tip, because a $20 is the smallest I usually carry, and I am lucky when I have something that small.

I have never had some one pocket my money and then stand motionless.

"You want change back?" YES (30% or even $5 is a little steep for a small pizza order).

And then when told I want change -- still stand their motionless and ask "Well, how much change do you want."

At that point I to supress my NYC survial skills, and did not instantly beat the punk down and roll him for all his money.

udbrky 12-21-2006 09:39 PM

Why make him dig through bills instead of just telling him up front how much to give you back? Makes it a lot easier.

I hope you don't break out 50s for orders under $20.

tuq 12-21-2006 09:41 PM

It's very possible this thread is starting to suck, so in a slight tangent let's all take a minute to appreciate the cybersecksing abilities of bloodninja:

Bloodninja:Wanna cyber?
DirtyKate:OK, but don't tell anybody ;-)
DirtyKate:Who are you?
Bloodninja: I've got blond hair, blue eyes, I work out a lot
Bloodninja:And I have a part time job delivering for Papa John's in my Geo Storm.
DirtyKate:You sound sexy.. I bet you want me in the back of your car..
Bloodninja:Maybe some other time. You should call up Papa John's and make an order
DirtyKate: Haha! OK
DirtyKate:Hello! I'd like an extra-EXTRA large pizza just dripping with sauce.
Bloodninja:Well, first they would say, "Hello, this is Papa John's, how may I help you", then they tell you the specials, and then you would make your order. So that's an X-Large. What toppings do you want?
DirtyKate:I want everything, baby!
Bloodninja:Is this a delivery?
DirtyKate:Umm...Yes
DirtyKate:So you're bringing the pizza to my house now? Cause I'm home alone... and I think I'll take a shower...
Bloodninja:Good. It will take about fifteen minutes to cook, and then I'll drive to your house.
**pause**
DirtyKate:I'm almost finished with my shower... Hurry up!
Bloodninja:You can't hurry good pizza.
Bloodninja:I'm on my way now though
**pause**
DirtyKate:So you're at my front door now.
Bloodninja:How did you know?
Bloodninja:I knock but you can't hear me cause you're in the shower. So I let myself in, and walk inside. I put the pizza down on your coffee table.
Bloodninja:Are you ready to get nasty, baby? I'm as hot as a pizza oven
DirtyKate:Oooohh yeah. I step out of the shower and I'm all wet and cold. Warm me up baby
Bloodninja:So you're still in the bathroom?
DirtyKate:Yeah, I'm wrapping a towel around myself.
Bloodninja:I can no longer resist the pizza. I open the box and unzip my pants with my other hand. As I penetrate the gooey cheese, I moan in ecstacy. The mushrooms and Italian sausage are rough, but the sauce is deliciously soothing. I blow my load in seconds. As you leave the bathroom, I exit through the front door....
DirtyKate:What the f**k?
DirtyKate:You perverted piece of s**t
DirtyKate:F**k

bwana devil 12-21-2006 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The way alobar said he did is the correct way, and doing it the correct way as alobar found out, he got more in tips.

Too anoying to count out change? Gee, too bad but that is uhhh... YOUR JOB.

Asking how much change they want might SEEM standard to a moron pizza delivery guy, but it is not. I know for a fact that 99% of my purchases, I give the cashier, waitress, clerk, etc. some money and they give me back my change.

I can't recall the clerk in a grocery store asking me how much change I want, or the gas station attendent after a $19.95 fill up asking me if I want change back from my $20

Of course, in conjunction with the moron pizza delivery guy who thinks giving customers their change is a pain, or asking instead of waiting to receive tips, is standard -- are the morons who don't know how to count out change.

If the cash register didn't tell them what to give you, they wouldn't have a clue. And then they give it to you in a big lump, instead of counting it out. BUT THAT IS A WHOLE OTHER TOPIC OF "STANDARD" BEHAVIOR in our increasingly rude stupid society.

[/ QUOTE ]

pot, kettle. kettle, pot.

cardcounter0 12-21-2006 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, I find 50s to be stupid. What I do when I place the order is tell them beforehand to tell the driver to bring plenty of change, because all I have is 100s to avoid the problem. (or ask the driver if he would accept a few red birds in payment [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

udbrky 12-21-2006 09:51 PM

what do you do if they don't have enough change?

As a driver, you don't always have enough, especially slow nights, and if I did, I don't wanna whip out a roll not knowing who's around the corner listening and watching.

As a manager, I don't always have the extra money in my register to send with a driver who doesn't have change for big bills. Our standards for money in the drawer is under $150 for security purposes. And the later in the night, the less I have. You should just put it on your card.

smartalecc5 12-21-2006 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Give the guy the $20.It's Christmas.

[/ QUOTE ]

mike l. 12-21-2006 10:01 PM

dude youre a db in this thread. the guy delivers pizzas he's hapless as they come. help him out. tell him give me 2 back or 3 back or whatever youre going to do. dont make him countout the change awkwardly, dont even make him ask, just let him get onto the next delivery. grow up be civil and let's do this pizza thing right from here on out please.

Mike Jett 12-21-2006 10:02 PM

Putting orders on a card is probably the KISS answer.

It also avoids many of the cash scams, which few really know about. You just have to realize it's worth it for these guys to hustle the $1 or $2 extra on each delivery. Adds up enormously.

udbrky 12-21-2006 10:05 PM

Tip - if you do put it on your card, always fill out the tip AND total line, and make sure your math adds up correctly. This ensures you're only charged the amount you intended to tip, and that the driver doesn't fill in his own tip. Also, make sure it's legible so the manager doesn't have to guess what you wrote at 2 a.m.

Alobar 12-21-2006 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Every pizza I delivered I did it with the attitude I wasnt getting a tip. So I would never ask "do you want change?" or "how much change do you want?" or any of that crap. They paid, I gave them the change, and id turn around and start to leave. If they handed me anything I said thank you like I would say it if I wasnt expecting to get anything. I pretty much always made more in tips than the other drivers who did the "standard" routine you got. And I think my attitude was why. Not saying I wasnt above tricks like the dirty dollar and what not, but even when I was doing them I still carried the attitude that I didnt expect a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would you actually give them $4.74 back (in this case, with a $15.26 order) if they didn't ask for an amount back when handing your the bill? I'm not saying it's wrong or right or whatever, just seems tedious to be pulling out change all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno why people think its tedious to count out change, it takes all of like 5 seconds. And anyway, the people who tipped never let me get that far anyway, theyd be like "just keep it" "or "just give me back $2" when I strated to count out their change. And the people who werent gunna tip are the people who are gunna make me count it out anyway.

Id honestly rather get a $0 tip than a .74 cent tip, so even if I coulda made a bit more by being like "do you want your change", or acting like id have to go back to my car to get the loose change (which is a common "trick" among drivers. some even say they have to do this for any change back) or whatever, I still would have rather done it my way.

Dead2 12-21-2006 11:39 PM

lol @ liberal card counter who bashes Bush all the time trying to justify his incredibly cheap tipping of a pizza delivery guy, a member of the working class.

what a doofus and a loser.

cardcounter0 12-22-2006 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ liberal card counter who bashes Bush all the time trying to justify his incredibly cheap tipping of a pizza delivery guy, a member of the working class.

[/ QUOTE ]

dork, work on your reading comprehension. Nothing wrong with tipping the pizza guy. I always tip the pizza guy.

I object to getting a pointless hustle for the tip and/or some one not knowing how to perform a simple task that is supposed to be their job.

I should have ran the old "got change for a $20" quick change scam on the minor league hustler, and then told him welcome to the major leagues.

Dead2 12-22-2006 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dork, work on your reading comprehension. Nothing wrong with tipping the pizza guy. I always tip the pizza guy.

I object to getting a pointless hustle for the tip and/or some one not knowing how to perform a simple task that is supposed to be their job.

I should have ran the old "got change for a $20" quick change scam on the minor league hustler, and then told him welcome to the major leagues.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should have told him to keep the change. some liberal you are.

pokerraja 12-22-2006 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I order some pizza for delivery.
The total is like $15.26

The pizza delivery guy comes to the door,
I give him a $20.

Pizza Guy: "Do you want change?"
Me (thinking): Yeah, I'm not going to tip you like $5 on a $15 order, dipwad"
Me (speaking): Yes

Pizza Guy: "How much change do you want?"
Me (thinking): HOW MUCH CHANGE DO I WANT? WTF!!!! UHHH, HOW ABOUT THE CORRECT AMOUNT? OR MAYBE FORGET THE ODD CENTS AND GIVE ME $4, AND THEN I WILL DECIDE WHAT, IF ANY, TIP YOU GET.

So what do you say to the how much change do you want question?

Cliff notes: I'm a broke nit

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. and exactly, i can't belive how cheap alot of you guys are. its good karma to tip. starting tipping and maybe you will start winning your coinflips.

cardcounter0 12-22-2006 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree liberals are big balla playas. Cons are nitty tight non-tippers, who spend most of the day trying to figure out how to steal the gold out of Grandma's teeth.

Dead2 12-22-2006 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree liberals are big balla playas. Cons are nitty tight non-tippers, who spend most of the day trying to figure out how to steal the gold out of Grandma's teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

way to miss the point, although i suspect you did it on purpose. if you bash tax cuts for the rich and say that the working class should get more benefits, and then refuse to give a pizza delivery guy a $5 tip then that's pretty pathetic.

Dane S 12-22-2006 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get through life just fine. And I take cabs and carry out simple financial transactions all the time.

Usually as the cabby (or pizza guy) is flipping through bills, I say "keep it" or give me $x back, and that is the way I always do it. I really couldn't hand them $x+tip, because a $20 is the smallest I usually carry, and I am lucky when I have something that small.

I have never had some one pocket my money and then stand motionless.

"You want change back?" YES (30% or even $5 is a little steep for a small pizza order).

And then when told I want change -- still stand their motionless and ask "Well, how much change do you want."

At that point I to supress my NYC survial skills, and did not instantly beat the punk down and roll him for all his money.

[/ QUOTE ]

A "ploy" to get a tip? WTF planet do you live on?

cardcounter0 12-22-2006 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
way to miss the point, although i suspect you did it on purpose. if you bash tax cuts for the rich and say that the working class should get more benefits, and then refuse to give a pizza delivery guy a $5 tip then that's pretty pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yap, I guess a Bush supporter would have problems with expecting someone to perform the duties of their job correctly before being rewarded.

Dead2 12-22-2006 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yap, I guess a Bush supporter would have problems with expecting someone to perform the duties of their job correctly before being rewarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you knew anything about me you'd know that i'm a democrat and voted for kerry. nice try.

Annorax 12-22-2006 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why make him dig through bills instead of just telling him up front how much to give you back? Makes it a lot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done this on a few occasions.

Store was warned of the impending Grant when the order was placed. No problems ensued, and the reason for the $1 tip was for a reason completely unrelated to the payment. I should've given $0, but I felt kinda guilty.

Sponger. 12-22-2006 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$1 back if I haven't been waiting forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehhh? So if you ordered a pizza and the person on the phone told you it would take 2 hours you'd just tip $1, but if they told you 20 minutes you'd tip more? Its not like the delivery guy is completely responsible for how quickly you get your pizza.

rjoefish 12-22-2006 01:53 AM

This is so incredibly standard where I work but I don't do it. I hand them back their change (bills, not coins, I never carry coin change). Usually either when I'm counting their change or in the process of giving it to them they'll say something to the effect of 'Oh, just give me X back.' and that's what I do.

Sometimes if they don't say anything and it was a faily large order I'll kind of turn to the side and start putting the money away to see if they'll say something like 'this is for you' or whatever, if they don't say anything in about 3 seconds after I hand them their lootz I just walk away. I've been stiffed so many times it doesn't even matter at this point.

Vyse 12-22-2006 02:04 AM

Re: How to order and pay for a pizza.

Are you guys stupid? I read half of this thread, and not one person has said NOT TO TIP. Wtf? Pizza Hut, the best pizza in the universe, ALREADY charges you for delivery -- 1.25 or 1.50, I forget which. Why are you going to tip when THEY ARE ALREADY CHARGING YOU FOR IT? Also, anyone seen Reservoir Dogs? It's their JOB to bring you pizza. I only tip when they do an AMAZING job, and sorry, it is impossible to do an amazing job when delivering pizza.

By the way, I order pizza maybe two times a month, and no delivery boy has EVER asked how much I want back. If they did, I would instantly turn into an a-hole, say "All of it" in the most snide way possible, and snatch my pizza. Who are you to assume you're getting a tip? Gtfo.

Jules22 12-22-2006 02:27 AM

Re: How to order and pay for a pizza.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys stupid? I read half of this thread, and not one person has said NOT TO TIP. Wtf? Pizza Hut, the best pizza in the universe, ALREADY charges you for delivery -- 1.25 or 1.50, I forget which. Why are you going to tip when THEY ARE ALREADY CHARGING YOU FOR IT? Also, anyone seen Reservoir Dogs? It's their JOB to bring you pizza. I only tip when they do an AMAZING job, and sorry, it is impossible to do an amazing job when delivering pizza.

By the way, I order pizza maybe two times a month, and no delivery boy has EVER asked how much I want back. If they did, I would instantly turn into an a-hole, say "All of it" in the most snide way possible, and snatch my pizza. Who are you to assume you're getting a tip? Gtfo.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU SUCK.

Your Mom 12-22-2006 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how come cons give more to charity?