Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227669)

THAY3R 10-05-2006 05:26 PM

Re: Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread

The PHB comment is possibly valid, as I am not to up to date on Hockey, nor do i follow it anywhere near as closely as baseball. I do know that Shanahan scored over 40 goals last year, so he can't be too done just yet.

[ QUOTE ]

Why are the Oilers saying hi?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was in reference to Summers(I think it was him) comment that they will make the playoffs, but are far from cup contenders.

Just making the playoffs automatically makes you cup contenders.

MarkSummers 10-05-2006 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The PHB comment is possibly valid, as I am not to up to date on Hockey, nor do i follow it anywhere near as closely as baseball. I do know that Shanahan scored over 40 goals last year, so he can't be too done just yet.

[ QUOTE ]

Why are the Oilers saying hi?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was in reference to Summers(I think it was him) comment that they will make the playoffs, but are far from cup contenders.

Just making the playoffs automatically makes you cup contenders.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and what makes hockey so great. This definition also makes 16 other teams contenders as well.

Triumph36 10-05-2006 05:34 PM

Fedor Tyutin is going to improve, and Karel Rachunek is an upgrade on Tom Poti. Aaron Ward should help out as well. While the Rangers defense isn't that good, Lundqvist makes up the difference - he's a top five goalie in the league.

The 'Canes and Sabres both advanced deep into the playoffs without anything resembling a #1 defender - the Rangers have a similar defense. While I think Marek Malik sucks (and Roszival too) - they played fairly decent last season.

WayAbvPar 10-05-2006 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will be fun to see what Vancouver can do with a good goalie for a change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get him shelled nightly. Their blueline is highly suspect, they have 1 decent scoring line, and their early schedule (9 out their first 11 are on the road) is absolutely brutal.

NhlNut 10-05-2006 08:03 PM

rangers biggest weakness is at center. nylander is ok at #1, but they are lost after that.

NhlNut 10-05-2006 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've got season tickets to the Canes,

[/ QUOTE ]

Please root hard for Tim Gleason. After 1 game, Kings fans miss him already. He was very good last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was awesome!! I thought Walker (from the Preds) would be the one to watch, but Gleason was all over the place! Hopefully, Johnson will work out for you guys pretty quickly. Send someone up to Michgan to break his legs if he doesn't stop with that college crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the Kings lineup, I'm afraid Johnson will stay at Mich. for 2 years if not 3 years. If he's as good as they say, he'll be worth the wait.

lozen 10-05-2006 09:13 PM

CDN teams that miss playoffs Toronto and Vancouver and possibly montreal.

Most improved Calgary. Edmonton may be weak on defense but will score a ton. Ottowa not as good as before

THAY3R 10-05-2006 09:34 PM

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7...nyrag224xh.png

IggyWH 10-05-2006 09:36 PM

Now that the Pens have a new owner, I can officially cheer for them again. Not expecting much, but it will be fun to watch all the young guys.

Stall has looked pretty solid for the first 2 periods, Crosby looks like he hasn't missed a beat, Fleury is having a GREAT game and word is Malkin will be back within the week.

MacGuyV 10-05-2006 11:40 PM

Has anybody bought the EA or 2k video game this year? I'm interested in getting one and would like to hear some reviews; thanks.

T-God 10-05-2006 11:54 PM

Everyone: Sens are on pace for a perfect season.

MarkSummers 10-06-2006 12:12 AM

It's only the 2nd intermission, but the 15 year 67 million dollar goalie has been shelled for 6 goals on 32 shots [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Wonder how many are actually his fault. God, what a disaster this season is going to be on the Island. I don't live on LI, but I'm planning on catching a few games in Montreal and or Buffalo. If I do go, it's looking like I'm going to have to wear a paper bag over my head.

Triumph36 10-06-2006 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's only the 2nd intermission, but the 15 year 67 million dollar goalie has been shelled for 6 goals on 32 shots [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Wonder how many are actually his fault. God, what a disaster this season is going to be on the Island. I don't live on LI, but I'm planning on catching a few games in Montreal and or Buffalo. If I do go, it's looking like I'm going to have to wear a paper bag over my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spare yourself the pain. This team is going to be bad and they won't stop being bad for a very long time.

To the Islanders fans out there: I suggest training yourself to play hockey. If you get good enough, you might become the Islanders' backup and be in line to become their next GM - and perhaps you can fix this mess.

MyTurn2Raise 10-06-2006 01:40 AM

woohooo....Blues get a goal with 5.6 seconds left in the third to salvage a point

they lost in the OT of course

promising first game against a solid Cup contender

evank15 10-06-2006 01:54 AM

Flames looked lazy in a 3-1 loss to the greaseballs.

Rematch on Sat night in Calgary.

Wes Mantooth 10-06-2006 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lundqvist makes up the difference - he's a top five goalie in the league...

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, after just one season Lundqvist has been too inconsistent to be considered a top 5 goalie.

Sunny Mehta 10-06-2006 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Carolina Hurricanes are going to do another banner-raising on Friday night against New Jersey.

[/ QUOTE ]

how brutal that in the first game of the season, Devils fans have to not only see the team that knocked us out of the playoffs last year, but watch them raise their Stanley Cup banner.....maybe it'll get Gionta and the boys fired up....

WayAbvPar 10-06-2006 03:24 PM

I was seriously (and happily) surprised by the Canucks last night. They played a fantastic game, and I now have a hetero mancrush on Roberto Luongo. The man is a god among insects.

mattsey9 10-06-2006 03:34 PM

The Hawks are on a pace to score over 600 goals this season!! It still doesn't sound right without Pat Foley behind the microphone.

Triumph36 10-06-2006 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Carolina Hurricanes are going to do another banner-raising on Friday night against New Jersey.

[/ QUOTE ]

how brutal that in the first game of the season, Devils fans have to not only see the team that knocked us out of the playoffs last year, but watch them raise their Stanley Cup banner.....maybe it'll get Gionta and the boys fired up....

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch them raise it again, no less - I wonder if they'll do it when Montreal and Edmonton come to town too.

With Elias as the new captain, I think there's no doubt the team will be fired up.

1C5 10-06-2006 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Will be fun to see what Vancouver can do with a good goalie for a change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get him shelled nightly. Their blueline is highly suspect, they have 1 decent scoring line, and their early schedule (9 out their first 11 are on the road) is absolutely brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, he is used to lots of shots from being on the [censored] Panthers for many years. He can take 30-40 shots a game no prob.

bluef0x 10-06-2006 05:29 PM

It's OK guys, you can give up now. The Sharks WILL win the cup this year.

Green Kool Aid 10-06-2006 07:35 PM

i havent watched a full bruins game in years. doing so tonight. this can't possibly be more boring than baseball. will report back later.

MarkSummers 10-06-2006 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i havent watched a full bruins game in years. doing so tonight. this can't possibly be more boring than baseball. will report back later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it will be a while before you watch another one. The Panthers have set up a number of pretty scoring plays and Bertuzzi is on fire.

Green Kool Aid 10-06-2006 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it will be a while before you watch another one. The Panthers have set up a number of pretty scoring plays and Bertuzzi is on fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i watched the first half of the game or so then switched over to the yanks-tigers.

i'll give them some a couple more tries [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

wh1t3bread 10-07-2006 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree, after just one season Lundqvist has been too inconsistent to be considered a top 5 goalie.

[/ QUOTE ]

While saying Lundqvist is top 5 after one season certainly is debatable, you cannot say he was inconsistent last year. How do you figure Mantooth?

I mean he did get hurt last year, which was one of the main reasons that he and the Rangers faltered down the stretch, but you can't say he was inconsistent. He only had 4 or 5 bad games last year (5+ goals against). Brodeur on the other hand had 7 ot 8.

THAY3R 10-08-2006 12:23 AM

Shootouts
Philadelphia Simon Gagne shootout saved
NY Rangers Jaromir Jagr shootout saved
Philadelphia Mike Richards shootout miss
NY Rangers Michael Nylander shootout miss
Philadelphia Geoff Sanderson shootout saved
NY Rangers Petr Prucha shootout saved
Philadelphia Petr Nedved shootout saved
NY Rangers Brendan Shanahan shootout saved
Philadelphia Kyle Calder shootout saved
NY Rangers Matt Cullen shootout saved
Philadelphia Peter Forsberg shootout saved
NY Rangers Adam Hall shootout saved
Philadelphia Jeff Carter shootout saved
NY Rangers Martin Straka shootout saved
Philadelphia Joni Pitkanen shootout saved
NY Rangers Nigel Dawes shootout miss
Philadelphia Randy Robitaille shootout saved
NY Rangers Blair Betts shootout saved
Philadelphia Mike Knuble shootout miss
NY Rangers Michal Rozsival shootout saved
Philadelphia Sami Kapanen shootout saved
NY Rangers Ryan Hollweg shootout saved
Philadelphia R.J. Umberger shootout saved
NY Rangers Jason Ward shootout miss
Philadelphia Freddy Meyer shootout miss
NY Rangers Marcel Hossa shootout goal

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

bluef0x 10-08-2006 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shootouts

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even watch it? It was horrible... you could have summarized it with

"12 rounds of players shooting from 10 feet away without a deke. Finally one slips through."

That had to be the worst shootout ever from the shooters. The goalies didn't do anything but stay in the center of the net to make the saves.

Anyways, Sharks WILL win the cup. Nabokov looks so good. Vlasic (Who's 19 years old!) looks like he can be a top pairing d-man RIGHT NOW. He's been absolutely solid on d and great on the PP. He also plays on the PK... amazing. He looks like he's 12.

Vlasic > Bourdon. I don't get why people rave about Bourdon when he was embarressed three times vs the Sharks in preseason. Vlasic is shutting down everyone.

Meezer 10-08-2006 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch them raise it again, no less - I wonder if they'll do it when Montreal and Edmonton come to town too.

With Elias as the new captain, I think there's no doubt the team will be fired up.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I think we're done raising the banner at people--it doesn't seem to be working! They had decided to have Opening Night II here because the first one sold out before the general public could get tix. The first banner raising was cool, but I stayed in the bar until the puck drop for the second one. There's only so many times one can clap wildly for the frigging back-up equipment manager.

Devils kicked our arses. I was happy because I got to sit behind Brodeur twice--awesome guy! The Canes played like the Chiefs (and continued to do so yesterday against Washington) and appear to be working off a summer of partying, but I'm just stoked that hockey is back.

The bad thing is that I finally bought Center Ice and am getting in nooooo poker. Nice to see the western teams play--Sharks are looking good.

TheRover 10-08-2006 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shootouts

[/ QUOTE ]

sick. i was half watching this on cbs.scoreline and wondering why the [censored] the shootout was taking so long. i had the rangers btw.

Wes Mantooth 10-08-2006 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While saying Lundqvist is top 5 after one season certainly is debatable, you cannot say he was inconsistent last year. How do you figure Mantooth?

I mean he did get hurt last year, which was one of the main reasons that he and the Rangers faltered down the stretch, but you can't say he was inconsistent. He only had 4 or 5 bad games last year (5+ goals against). Brodeur on the other hand had 7 ot 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brodeur may have been inconsistent in some games last year due to being hurt some in the beginning of the season and because of playing so many games. Comparing Lundqvist to Brodeur is crazy.

wh1t3bread 10-09-2006 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Brodeur may have been inconsistent in some games last year due to being hurt some in the beginning of the season and because of playing so many games. Comparing Lundqvist to Brodeur is crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pegging Lundqvist as inconsistent is crazier. The only reason I chose Brodeur is because I know you are a Devils fan. You can choose almost any goalie in the league and I bet the stats are similiar.

Also those are two of the WORST excuses that you could possibly make up. Goalies have bad games. It's not necessarily because of playing time or injury, they just have bad games.

Zurvan 10-09-2006 09:51 AM

Lundqvist had one good year. Comparing him to Brodeur is ridiculous. The stats over one season for a goalie mean very little. I would not put him in the top 50% of goaltenders just because he's had one good season. There's no way to tell how he'll play this season. He could be good again, or he could be a scrub.

wh1t3bread 10-09-2006 09:59 AM

Zurvan, I agree. Labeling Lundqvist as inexperienced, young, unproven, etc. are fine with me. Labeling him as inconsistent is not. This is where I had issue with Mantooth's comment. If I had one word to describe Lundqvist it would actually be: consistent.

mflip 10-09-2006 05:31 PM

Well they made one good move in signing Ted Nolan. He is a very good coach. But he has nothing to work with.

Triumph36 10-09-2006 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well they made one good move in signing Ted Nolan. He is a very good coach. But he has nothing to work with.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is he a good coach? He won a Jack Adams with the best goalie in the league - wow.

The Islanders actually aren't that bad on paper, but they will be bad on the ice - partly thanks to Nolan.

CrazyPsycho 10-09-2006 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is he a good coach? He won a Jack Adams with the best goalie in the league - wow.

The Islanders actually aren't that bad on paper, but they will be bad on the ice - partly thanks to Nolan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those Sabres teams played their tails off for him. They had very little talent, but still did very well for themselves.

mflip 10-09-2006 09:07 PM

He won the QMJHL title in Moncton last year with a team that really wasn't that great.

Peca277 10-10-2006 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those Sabres teams played their tails off for him. They had very little talent, but still did very well for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardest working team in hockey. The fans in Buffalo loved him for how much he got out of those teams. Thought he got the shaft with the one-year offer... not that any of us are complaining now with Lindy taking the reins.

Needle77 10-10-2006 02:24 PM

Someone please explain the scheduling of the NHL for me. The Devils play @ Dallas on Saturday. Their next game isn't until Thursday at home against Toronto. What is this about?