Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Bears 2006 Season Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=208934)

kevkev60614 09-25-2006 09:20 AM

Re: Bears 2006 Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I think Grossman played fine. Sure he made a few bad passes. I was kind of glad because I wanted to see how he would react if he wasn't playing perfect. And I think he asserted himself very well especially when the Vikings were bringing 6 and 7 guys on every play. Do we really have to call for his head everytime he throws for less than 70% and throws *gasp* a bad pick?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have more faith in Griese than Sluss does, but I agree that it'd be a mistake to turn to him. Grossman lit up the boards in weeks one and two, but when his passer rating drops to only 100.9, we're ready to throw in the towel? WTF is up with that?

[ QUOTE ]
What I don't understand is the straight up abandoning of the running game. The Bears started running the ball well in the begining of the game. And then waited until the middle of the 4th quarter to even try again. An even distribution on first down is one thing, but when the Vikings are just running everyone at the line you should at least try and slow them down.

[/ QUOTE ]
We did not run the ball well early. If you remove that one 4th quarter 17 yd carry, we were 37 yrds on 17 carries for the day. It kind of scares me. Jones looks afraid to lower his shoulder and plow the pile like he did last year, and Benson's had the same results. But I still don't think we should be abandoning the run. Under 1/3 of our plays were runs, I think.

An ugly win's still a win, though. We're 3-0 in our division with an edge on all tiebreakers and we have two road division games behind us. As I already said, I'm looking forward to Seatlle at home cuz we should learn a lot about the team on Sunday night. Look for Chicagoans to be making all kinds of crazy predictions if we pull the upset and reach 4-0. Go Bears.

Edit: We're forced to pass so frequently cuz opponents keep jamming the box and daring us to air it. Eventually someone will realize that they can't do that with Rex under center like they could last year with Orton back there. Then our run game will bounce back.

Also, the best part about beating the Lions and Packers so handily is that you know we're going to be huge favorites when we meet up again.

Uh. Go Bears.

Brian707 09-25-2006 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
puke...ridiculous how Minny handed the game over

The Bears are probably a better team, but Minny should've won today. They just didn't take advantage of their chances and handed the Bears a golden egg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt Grossman hand the Vikings 10 points? Ugly win by Bears they played terrible but still got the W. Big game Sunday vs Seattle.

Brian707 09-25-2006 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look for Chicagoans to be making all kinds of crazy predictions if we pull the upset and reach 4-0. Go Bears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the Bears are 2.5 point favorites

crockpot 09-25-2006 04:18 PM

to all who are defending grossman based on his results against some of the league's worst defenses: yes, he has a good QB rating right now. he also looks totally awkward out there. if a defender is coming at him, he'll get rid of the ball regardless of whether his receiver is double-covered, whether he can get the ball there accurately, or whether he can step into the throw. he can't bring himself to step towards a defender to deliver a throw, or to scramble outside the pocket to allow himself to throw the ball away with impunity. he seems obsessed with throwing off his back foot, which is a real problem when you try to play the vertical passing game he does. and he still doesn't mind taking some really bad gambles, like throwing into triple coverage in the end zone. watch a replay of any of the bears games and you will see examples of this.

i think with some better coaching, he could be a championship-caliber QB, as he has good tools. i don't think he is the right choice to maximize their chances of winning this year.

Case Closed 09-25-2006 04:36 PM

crockpot,

I agree with all the things you have said. He does make a lot of stupid mistakes but they are correctable ones. Although as a Bears fan I for one and tired tired tired of Bears QBs that do nothing more than just manage the game and pusssy foot around. I know you did not directly say this, but the Bears finally have a strong armed QB that will take some chances. We have the WRs to put up some big yards and I hope they continue to allow Rex to be agressive(hopefully a little smarter at times) and maybe change the nature of Bears footbal.

I guess this so much isn't aimed at your comments crockpot, more of me stating my opinion that I like the direction that Rex can take this team in.

Brian707 09-25-2006 05:43 PM

Looks like Alexander will not play Sunday either

Sluss 09-25-2006 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crockpot,

I agree with all the things you have said. He does make a lot of stupid mistakes but they are correctable ones. Although as a Bears fan I for one and tired tired tired of Bears QBs that do nothing more than just manage the game and pusssy foot around. I know you did not directly say this, but the Bears finally have a strong armed QB that will take some chances. We have the WRs to put up some big yards and I hope they continue to allow Rex to be agressive(hopefully a little smarter at times) and maybe change the nature of Bears footbal.

I guess this so much isn't aimed at your comments crockpot, more of me stating my opinion that I like the direction that Rex can take this team in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is pretty clear to every Bears fan and people that watch Bears games that when Grossman is in the game there is just a different feeling. As if him making one or two mistakes or the defense making one or two mistakes doesn't mean they lose the game. It's a much less pins and needles feeling that I really like.

MyTurn2Raise 09-25-2006 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crockpot,

[/ QUOTE ]

my observation is that grossman did a terrible job at managing the game this week. He handed mInny points and tried to give even more (Minny missed a pick6). He just has to not make the big turnovers.

crockpot 09-25-2006 07:14 PM

all who replied to my post,

i agree with your comments, and i agree that the feeling with him running the show is much different than with orton, quinn, stewart, mcnown, et al, or even grossman v. 2003-05.

but i think griese should be given more of a chance. he entered the season with a better QB rating than anyone in bears history, including two (injury-abbreviated) seasons of 97 or higher. for this, and his substantially better preseason stats, he is not being given any meaningful playing time, even when the team is ahead by an insurmountable margin. this after the team had said that sexy rexy would have to earn the starting job, not have it handed to him.

i can't comment on whether rex's temperament will change if he perceives a QB controversy, but i doubt he will take offense if the backup comes in with a 20+ point lead in the fourth quarter.

Cubswin 10-01-2006 07:20 PM

Enjoy!!!

Russ M. 10-01-2006 07:22 PM

GO BEARS

Case Closed 10-01-2006 08:06 PM

BEAR DOWN!

Sluss 10-02-2006 08:08 AM

The Defense did a better job tackling and the running game showed itself again. Now you just start thinking they might be peaking too early. Hester was scary back there, but he is so electric when he gets past that first guy. I wonder how long it will be before Lovie starts working Davis into that spot. It would be too bad because they are more dangerous with him back there. But they can't go back to muffing every other punt.

I'm a bit concerned about a letdown against a tough Bills defense next week.

Alright there, now I've calmed myself down from the giddy ass way that I went to bed last night with visons of the Super Bowl and the rubber room I'd have to watch it in.

There is such a different feel to this team. I was thinking about comparing this game to the Carolina game last year, but it was so different. Right now there is no team in the NFL that looks better. The Colts don't look as dominant, the Ravens struggled against the Browns and were lucky Shotenheimer is a moron just to win yesterday. I have tried to seperate myself as far as I can and I just don't see a team I am even a little scared of.

kevkev60614 10-02-2006 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright there, now I've calmed myself down from the giddy ass way that I went to bed last night with visons of the Super Bowl and the rubber room I'd have to watch it in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank God I'm not alone. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You know how when Orton threw the ball downfield you held your breath, shut one eye and said a little prayer that he'd hit the right color? Two comments on that:

1) When Grossman throws the ball I leap out of my seat, my eyes get huge, and I say a little prayer that Berrian makes the usually difficult catch. THAT'S the difference this season.

2) I get the same gut wrench that I did watching Orton throw long as I currently do when I hear "Hester back to receive." Something needs to be done about that guy. I'm terrified of him. With a team as good as we have, we don't need a "gambling" punt returner. We need someone reliable who will call fair catch or run North and South and get us eight yards.

I said earlier that we'd learn something about our team against Seattle. There are certainly teams I'm still afraid of, and anything can happen any given Sunday, but I think we learned that this team is for real. Even MyTurn should think so at this point.

Go Bears.
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7890/bearbanggk0.gif

Shajen 10-02-2006 12:11 PM

<3 Berrian.

The defense looked damned good this week, and the offense was firing on all cylinders.

Awesome stuff.

Mushin is holding on to the ball. Grossman is still learning to manage the game, but I didn't see any blatenly bad mistakes this week from him.

This is the team I've waited 21 years for.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-02-2006 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now there is no team in the NFL that looks better.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

Unfortunately for you guys, the playoffs aren't for 3 more months [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Da Bears certainly look like they could win 13 or 14 games. but there are a number of other teams out there who will improve as the season goes on

PartyGirlUK 10-02-2006 02:18 PM

I live a couple of hundred metres from the stadium. Anyone got a game to recommend me going to see? How much would tickets cost?

droopy0021 10-02-2006 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for you guys, the playoffs aren't for 3 more months [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Da Bears certainly look like they could win 13 or 14 games. but there are a number of other teams out there who will improve as the season goes on

[/ QUOTE ]

To try and find some negative (and it's difficult), the Bears did crush Carolina last year in regular season w/ Orton. Delhomme couldn't do anything right. We also saw the playoffs were a different story.

I do like 4-0 and looking good in the conference so far. It was said if Rex is good for 4-7 points per game, the Bears would be MUCH better. Allow the defense to play with a lead.

Has anyone else noticed Tommie Harris is an absolute beast and would be defensive MVP of Bears? Huge play vs. Minn when they needed a spark and then this week vs. Seattle? Really haven't seen much from Ogunleye and Harris at the tackle has been very good.

Case Closed 10-02-2006 03:00 PM

Rex Grossman looks much better this week as compared to last week. Taking a sack and throwing away the ball. Still willing to wing the ball deep.

Although I am still worried about the running game. I love how the passing game is turning out but this team is not the Colts. We ran the ball better this game, I hope this can continue.

MyTurn2Raise 10-02-2006 03:01 PM

good statement game by the Bears

beware October 16th [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

PokerFink 10-03-2006 04:28 PM

Dear Bears Fans,

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, because the Bears are a very good football team and the class of the NFC (and perhaps the NFL) right now. But, as an Eagles fan who has seen everything collapse many times, remember to keep things in perspective.

MyTurn2Raise 10-03-2006 04:30 PM

dude...don't bring reality in here

PokerFink 10-03-2006 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else noticed Tommie Harris is an absolute beast and would be defensive MVP of Bears? Huge play vs. Minn when they needed a spark and then this week vs. Seattle? Really haven't seen much from Ogunleye and Harris at the tackle has been very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harris is dominant. He was mentioned in this week's audibles at the line. Unfortunately, as a DT, he doesn't get mentioned much in the mainstream ESPN/FOX/CBS analysis.

Shajen 10-03-2006 04:35 PM

PF:

Dude, for the longest time, all we Bears fans have had has been the 85 season and the fluke 2001 season.

We know all about reality. In fact, my normal modus operandi consists of me going:

"wow, the Bears are winning. They'll find a way to lose, I'm sure".

We are an extremely pessimistic lot, in general. Just give us our moment in the sun, we'll go back to being defeatists, soon enough.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Shajen 10-04-2006 09:18 AM

The D.

last week's game.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ftball0000 10-04-2006 09:59 AM

To all you weak bears fans, rooting on your flimsy defense and your lucky passing game. I will be bringing the Buffalo stampede along with the NFL's leading rusher, to show the pathetic city of chicago what a real team looks like
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/...ahee_56402.jpg

P.S. All of the above was a complete lie, except for the fact I am driving 9 hours to come see the game. Please take mercy on JP Losman, he has been playing well and one bad game may take him to Rob Johnson-ville again. I hope for a close game. Even though this does look like a letdown game for the bears

bears 16 bills 13

-Ftball (Your friendly neighborhood trash talker)

Chrisman886 10-04-2006 10:49 AM

Dear Bears,

I have you in my survival league this week. Don't [censored] up this amazingly easy matchup vs the Bills.

Your acquaintance,
Chris

CieloAzor 10-04-2006 11:28 AM

13 points for the Bills? Don't be so unrealistic.

Case Closed 10-04-2006 11:53 AM

ftbl,

No one has scored more than 10 points in Soldier field in the last 8 Bears home games. I doubt it will change now.

Colonel Kataffy 10-04-2006 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Harris is dominant. He was mentioned in this week's audibles at the line. Unfortunately, as a DT, he doesn't get mentioned much in the mainstream ESPN/FOX/CBS analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he needs is a rival QB. The sapp/favre rivalry is what made sapp famous. Unfortunatly the only star QB in the north is Rex.

MyTurn2Raise 10-04-2006 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ftbl,

No one has scored more than 10 points in Soldier field in the last 8 Bears home games. I doubt it will change now.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many did Carolina score? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Brian707 10-04-2006 04:58 PM

Regular season. Your Cardinals are next, Ill wait for the excuses then.

MyTurn2Raise 10-04-2006 05:07 PM

oh....so the games that really count don't count

that's funny

Case Closed 10-04-2006 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ftbl,

[/ QUOTE ]

How many did Carolina score? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, regular season.

I assumed you could come up with better than this....I am sure you'll get some decent troll fodder eventually.

Brian707 10-04-2006 05:49 PM

Boy your argument is weak, and as the above poster said we assume you were smart enough to figure it out.

MyTurn2Raise 10-04-2006 05:57 PM

not weak at all...
the tough Bear D got destroyed when it mattered

how often will the Bears lose win they score 20 at home?
They did when it counted

Case Closed 10-04-2006 06:16 PM

MT2R,

Don't know what to tell you. Tillman straight fell down a couple of times and they allowed Steve Smith to run wild on them. It was not their best performance.

None the less that has little to do with a regular season record and the high probablity of them keeping the Buffalo offense out of the endzone. Interesting fact, the Bills don't have Steve Smith, so the Bears should be fine.

You're doing a great job so far trolling Bears 2006 season thread. Although it's obvious the pass defense has been improved with Ricky Manning Jr. so if we happen to play Carolina again it will probably be a different story.

MyTurn2Raise 10-04-2006 06:28 PM

I wasn't trolling...just correcting factual errors

Case Closed 10-04-2006 06:30 PM

Turntworaise,

True. Wanna do some type of avatar bet for the Bears vs. Cards game?

MyTurn2Raise 10-04-2006 06:56 PM

no way....there is no possible way I'll ever allow anything close to Bears, Cubs, White Sox, Blackhawks related ever get near my name. It would diminish my value too much. My avatar shows my respectability.