Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519020)

Kneel B4 Zod 10-09-2007 03:13 PM

Re: ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else think the Sox bring back Beckett on short rest if it goes to game 7?

[/ QUOTE ]

thinking about this more, it depends on how dice-k pitches in game 3.

the other thing to consider is that there are 3 off days in this series.

either manager could flip-flop their #2 and #3 starters for games #6 and #7, and have them on 4 & 6 days of rest.

but between 1 & 4 there are only 3 days of rest, so almost certainly both CC & Beckett will go game 5. and then from 5 to 7 either guy would have only 2 days of rest, so there is almost no chance either guy would start game 7. but they would both be available for an inning or so.

Suigin406 10-09-2007 03:14 PM

should be a good series and hopefully it turns out that way...the indians will put up a fight, but meh, unless the indians can bring back sabathia/carmona on short rest, i don't see how the indians win after those 2 guys

Pudge714 10-09-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Byrd did not pitch well last night

[/ QUOTE ]
But they won.

craig 10-09-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SOSH posters were reporting that the weather Friday looks pretty bad; i.e. potential rain out. From what I remember in the 2004 ALCS, if there is a postponed game due to rain, then the game is played on one of the days off. I would assume it would be played on Sunday in Fenway.

craig

craig 10-09-2007 03:33 PM

How important are the manager's when factoring in edge? I was surprised that Wedge called for as many sac-bunts as he did. Granted Tito nor Wedge micro-manage like Scioscia and Torre, but it appears that Wedge makes more decisions throughout the game than Francona. Of course, BOS defense is better than NYY, and might make the bunt less likely of an option for CLE.

craig

Kos13 10-09-2007 04:27 PM

If I had to bet on this series, I'd say Boston in 7, but I think it's going to be an amazing series that could easily go either way. BP has us at 48.1%, which seems pretty fair to me.

GrowingPains 10-09-2007 04:49 PM

I think the sox will win this in 6. I don't see how the Indians can keep up, then again, i thought the yankees would beat them for sure, lol.

Arnold_O 10-09-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from Borowski, CLE has three lights out relievers.

[/ QUOTE ]

betancourt, perez and who's the 3rd?

why don't they start fausto carmona in game 1 then play him in 4 and 7 since he is the superior pitcher on the staff better than sabathia

unless it's a tossup against beckett and why waste him

ahhh nevermind

Dynasty 10-09-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that. It's definitely a new feature of this year's new playoff schedule.

It's now possible for pitcher to go Game 1, three days rest, Game 4, four days rest, Game 7.

technologic 10-09-2007 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
INDIANS IN 4 SHIPP IT

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy almost makes me root for the sox. almost.

tuq 10-09-2007 07:21 PM

Dear Red Sox,

Please win.

XOXOXO

tup

By the way, this NL/AL imbalance is a lollercoaster the likes of the Eastern and Western conferences in the NBA, or the AFC and NFC. Brutal. Curious to see how heavily the AL team is favored in the series.

Vagos 10-09-2007 07:22 PM

I might be in the minority of Red Sox Nation when I say it but I'd rather have Lester out there than Wakefield. Here's my case...
- A lot of the Indians offensive threats (Sizemore, Hafner, Lofton) are lefties. Lefties are hitting .231 on Lester this year.
- Lester's ERA was 3.34 in September with 3 quality starts. We all knew it'd take Lester some time to get his bearings straight and he had some great starts in September.
- Meanwhile, Wakefield managed only 1 quality start in September with an ERA of 8.76 and 7 HR allowed in 24 2/3 innings. As inconsistent as Lester was this year, Wakefield was even moreso. And he didn't finish the season on the good side of that inconsistency, while Lester did.

I just feel more comfortable with Lester right now. Thoughts?

sluggger5x 10-09-2007 07:49 PM

Indians in 7. GG Sox.

GrowingPains 10-09-2007 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might be in the minority of Red Sox Nation when I say it but I'd rather have Lester out there than Wakefield. Here's my case...
- A lot of the Indians offensive threats (Sizemore, Hafner, Lofton) are lefties. Lefties are hitting .231 on Lester this year.
- Lester's ERA was 3.34 in September with 3 quality starts. We all knew it'd take Lester some time to get his bearings straight and he had some great starts in September.
- Meanwhile, Wakefield managed only 1 quality start in September with an ERA of 8.76 and 7 HR allowed in 24 2/3 innings. As inconsistent as Lester was this year, Wakefield was even moreso. And he didn't finish the season on the good side of that inconsistency, while Lester did.

I just feel more comfortable with Lester right now. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree with you. I don't like wakefield that much but he was hot earlier in the season...

kyleb 10-09-2007 09:14 PM

Indians in 6 is my hope.

ProfessorBen 10-09-2007 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aside from Borowski, CLE has three lights out relievers.

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't they start fausto carmona in game 1 then play him in 4 and 7 since he is the superior pitcher on the staff better than sabathia

unless it's a tossup against beckett and why waste him

ahhh nevermind

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at this post. Fultz and Lewis.

34TheTruth34 10-09-2007 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indians +157 on Pinnacle. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

great value IMO. Sox should be a small favorite.

ADLinden 10-09-2007 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
INDIANS IN 4 SHIPP IT

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy almost makes me root for the sox. almost.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

johnnylovescandy 10-09-2007 11:51 PM

THIS SERIES IS MEN VS. BOYS. MAYBE NEXT TIME, CLEVELAND...

ArcticKnight 10-10-2007 01:18 AM

Indians in 5, Colorado in 6, Indians win WS in 7

ADLinden 10-10-2007 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THIS SERIES IS MEN VS. BOYS. MAYBE NEXT TIME, CLEVELAND...

[/ QUOTE ]

THE CLEVELAND INDIANS ARE A FREIGHT TRAIN FROM HELL

Thremp 10-10-2007 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like 60/40?

sublime 10-10-2007 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think,
Sabbathia pitches 1,4,7
Carmona, 2,5.

[/ QUOTE ]

injuns dont need to do get CC in there for game 4 IMO. it may tempt francona to do the same, and cle will have a bigger edge by just having byrd vs wake. now boston should really consider that approach IMO as the drop off from 3-4 is huge for them as opposed to CLE.

ADLinden 10-10-2007 02:02 AM

i think we let byrd pitch, and if francona bites and pitches beckett then we counter and start CC

sublime 10-10-2007 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think we let byrd pitch, and if francona bites and pitches beckett then we counter and start CC

[/ QUOTE ]

see i dont think wedge will though, which further plays into bostons hand. after all, he didnt bite when NY did it and as well all know byrd really showed up for that NY game (he didnt, but the perception is that he did).

ADLinden 10-10-2007 02:31 AM

yea i guess thats just what i hope happens,
i also think that we may start byrd in came 3 and westbrook in game 4 this series

JBeef 10-10-2007 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jensen lewis. 25 yr. old outta vanderbilt that has a very hidden motion and throws it 95+. against the tigers when westbrook struggled, lewis went 9 outta 10 batters. the only guy he didnt get out was palanco who he plunked.

bottomset 10-10-2007 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like 60/40?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably like 55/45 to 52/48 or so

baseball series are like PLO its damn tough to be a big favorite preflop

KJS 10-10-2007 03:58 AM

No Indians OF is worse than anyone from Boston. Coco slightly better than Sizemore is total BS.

Tribe in 6.

KJS

youtalkfunny 10-10-2007 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Coco slightly better than Sizemore is total BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know he was comparing them strictly defensively, right?

sox defense seems a little better to me. outfield is close to a push or edge cleveland (lofton >>> manny, coco slightly > sizemore, don't know that much about gutierez but i am guessing drew is a little better, and has experience at fenway which may be important). infield seems to favor the sox, who are definitely better at the corners and no worse than a push in the middle (not that familiar with cabrera).

After reading that, I feel compelled once again to state that Manny is not nearly as flawed a fielder as he is portrayed in the media. I concede that his gaffes are legendary--yet I maintain that they don't happen nearly as frequently as everyone thinks they happen.

NT! 10-10-2007 11:17 AM

manny is by far the worst outfielder in the series. it's not just errors, it's the fact that he gets to such a small percentage of balls hit his way.

crisp is a better defensive CF than sizemore IMO, but both are great. obv sizemore is the better overall player.

i have heard a lot of conflicting info on drew this year, but he has looked pretty solid to me lately.

chev9 10-10-2007 04:35 PM

Too long of a break here, I can't handle it.

My prediction is Sox in 7. I'm normally a pretty big homer too, so it worries me that I'm only saying Sox in 7. I really like this Indians team.

jessica1994 10-10-2007 04:46 PM

to people saying indians in 5 or whatever are you going to be betting large sums of money on cleveland because you truly believe you will be getting at least 1.57x what you bet back?

Kos13 10-10-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crisp is a better defensive CF than sizemore IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what? Are you using your eyes, TFB, FRAA, another fielding stat, or some combination of these to form this opinion?

anatta 10-10-2007 06:08 PM

I can feel the Sox have way the best of it. My extra-sensory perceptions tell me Sox win this, either quickly, like in 2, but it could be a long drawn out affair. If I had to guess, I'd say Sox in 18-20 games. But that's just my yoga voodoo, don't go betting the house on it.

ADLinden 10-10-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can feel the Sox have way the best of it. My extra-sensory perceptions tell me Sox win this, either quickly, like in 2, but it could be a long drawn out affair. If I had to guess, I'd say Sox in 18-20 games. But that's just my yoga voodoo, don't go betting the house on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats really tough to argue with

sublime 10-10-2007 06:49 PM

sizemore has been probably the best defensive CF in the AL since 2004 AND hes 25. i would be happy with coco being near him, saying hes 'better' than him is a bordering on rabid fanatitis.

this is leaving out arm strength, and while i dont know much about gradys i do know crisps isnt good.

kyro 10-10-2007 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sizemore has been probably the best defensive CF in the AL since 2004 AND hes 25. i would be happy with coco being near him, saying hes 'better' than him is a bordering on rabid fanatitis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or ignorance. If someone had asked me who was the better fielder, I would have said Crisp for sure.

Lazy Meatball 10-10-2007 07:32 PM

See you at Jacob's bitches. Go Youk!!!!!!!!

tolbiny 10-10-2007 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or ignorance. If someone had asked me who was the better fielder, I would have said Crisp for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Cleveland had both players they moved Crisp out of center, I don't think anything was ever publicly said suggesting that Crisp had a chance of holding that job. Its pretty clear that the Indians thought Grady was/would be a superior center fielder.