Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Third-worst sports injury I've ever seen (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=554219)

vhawk01 11-25-2007 05:20 PM

Re: Third-worst sports injury I\'ve ever seen

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where's LT ending Theisman's career?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not even the worst ever on MNF. McCallum's was really brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh that is still the very first image that comes to mind when I hear "sports injury."

Wondercall 11-25-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Henrik Larson braeking his tibia by planting his foot is one of the worst i've ever seen video of [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to mention this one and Zanardi. Both are just terrible.

z32fanatic 11-25-2007 05:29 PM

McGahee was bad because live in real time it didn't look like he was injured, he just got tackled. Then he stays down and Keith Jackson is like "let's see if we can tell how he got injured..." then they showed the replay in slow motion one time, and only one time.

Side note: Will Allen (the CB for OSU who's helmet hit McGahee's knee) went into the UM locker room immediately after the game, forgoing much of the championship celebration on the field, to check on McGahee and apologize.

Jurollo 11-25-2007 05:32 PM

Bryce Florie eating a line drive right in his eye

ChuckyB 11-25-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gilles Villeneuve

His crash is awful, you can see him being flung out of the car into a fence

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen this one. I hadn't even heard that he was tossed from the car. That would be horrific.

PokerFink 11-25-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Side note: Will Allen (the CB for OSU who's helmet hit McGahee's knee) went into the UM locker room immediately after the game, forgoing much of the championship celebration on the field, to check on McGahee and apologize.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of that. A+ to him.

prohornblower 11-25-2007 05:38 PM

Boxers have died either in the ring, or shortly after as a direct result from a series of blows to the head.

Pretty sure that is worse than Theismann breaking his leg and this other nonsense listed.

THEOSU 11-25-2007 05:46 PM

prohorn,

i shot a man in reno just to watch him die.

what's your point?

Nick B. 11-25-2007 05:54 PM

Junior Seau breaking his arm was pretty gross last year. they zoomed in on that too. so gross.

Jeremy517 11-25-2007 06:06 PM

Tim Krumrie breaking his leg in the Super Bowl was pretty ugly. If I remember right, SI had a picture showing his leg turned up at the shin.

smbruin22 11-25-2007 06:41 PM

i watched game on friday night, but purposely didn't watch replay. i guess i will now.

theisman though is in another galaxy from anything else i've seen.... that moment and john lennon death announcement are probably MNF moments that all older people remember.

Golden_Rhino 11-25-2007 07:45 PM

Kevin Stevens getting knocked out mid air and hitting the ice face first was pretty gruesome.

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-25-2007 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where's LT ending Theisman's career?

[/ QUOTE ]

And Dave Dravecky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Sabres' goalie Clint Malarchuk's sliced jugular vein in '89.

Jack of Arcades 11-25-2007 07:56 PM

Robin Ventura was the first thought for me.

Pudge714 11-25-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because if you are talking about seeing it on TV when it happened, the guy is still on the ground, and people in the stands are shocked/crying, nothing beats Theismann's injury. Hell, even LT was going apesh!t yelling for the trainers to get to him quick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently LT was doing this because he was claustrophobic and couldn't stand being at the bottom of the pile.

I remember seeing a special on Malarchuk and just squirming in my seat the whole time.

Allan Ray is a really good one, I read that in the thread, wondered what he was talking about than remembered it and shook.

Bryan Berrard is one I saw live, which was pretty bad, lots of blood.

I was also at a game where Trent Mcleary took a slapshot to the throat IIRC he lost his speech and there were stories saying stuff like if he got hit on the other side of the ice he might not have lived (these are most likely sensationalist, but still loosesly based on fact.

slickpoppa 11-25-2007 07:59 PM

This one is pretty bad:

MMA leg break
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIfbwIqrBho

CrazyPsycho 11-25-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one is pretty bad:

MMA leg break

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it that Bodog girl? I refuse to click.

prohornblower 11-25-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was also at a game where Trent Mcleary took a slapshot to the throat IIRC he lost his speech and there were stories saying stuff like if he got hit on the other side of the ice he might not have lived

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

slickpoppa 11-25-2007 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This one is pretty bad:

MMA leg break

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it that Bodog girl? I refuse to click.

[/ QUOTE ]

No

Dudd 11-25-2007 08:20 PM

Further from the bench maybe so it would have taken trainers longer to get to him? I don't know, that's all I can think of.

Golden_Rhino 11-25-2007 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was also at a game where Trent Mcleary took a slapshot to the throat IIRC he lost his speech and there were stories saying stuff like if he got hit on the other side of the ice he might not have lived

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

IT was a long time ago, but from what I remember there was a doctor who specialized in such things sitting in the crowd near Malarchuk.

vin17 11-25-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

IT was a long time ago, but from what I remember there was a doctor who specialized in such things sitting in the crowd near Malarchuk.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the confusion is surrounding a comment about McCleary being lucky.

Triumph36 11-25-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

The play occured near the benches where the doctors could get to him - had it occured farther away, he might have died.

I thought I remembered McCleary coming back after that but I guess he didn't.

FlyWf 11-25-2007 08:39 PM

The Malarchuk thing is completely unwatchable. Jesus Christ I can't believe he lived.

vin17 11-25-2007 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Malarchuk thing is completely unwatchable. Jesus Christ I can't believe he lived.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the only reason he did was because the trainer had Vietnam experience and knew how to temporarily pinch the jugular.

bustowithnobra 11-25-2007 08:46 PM

Thank god for the trainers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_138p6uzhUk

4 High 11-25-2007 10:09 PM

Marlachuk is easily the worst.

Al6Jets18 11-25-2007 10:46 PM

I'd never seen Marlachuk's, I couldn't watch it again.

One of the worst in terms of 'cringe factor' the first time see is the Beltran-Cameron collision from 2 years ago. As a Met fan, I'm pretty sure I suppressed an urge to throw up when I saw the replays.
Scroll down to August 11

PartyGirlUK 11-25-2007 11:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clVmt...eature=related

Golden_Rhino 11-25-2007 11:08 PM

Seles getting shived?

bottomset 11-25-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank god for the trainers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_138p6uzhUk

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha

PWHerman 11-25-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd never seen Marlachuk's, I couldn't watch it again.

One of the worst in terms of 'cringe factor' the first time see is the Beltran-Cameron collision from 2 years ago. As a Met fan, I'm pretty sure I suppressed an urge to throw up when I saw the replays.
Scroll down to August 11

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at that game in San Diego. I was in the 2nd row on the first base side so I was probably about 150 away from them when it happened. I was looking right at them through binoculars when they collided, too. The shear speed they were both moving at was incredible.

Also, I remember that McCallum injury vividly. I never had any problems with watching injuries before (and I saw Theismann and Krumrie live), but ever since the McCallum injury I have to look away at any injury in any game. That was unbelievably disgusting.

Iplayboard 11-25-2007 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wait, are we talking about actual injury severity, or witnessing it on TV? If you are talking about injury severity, Dale Eardhart wins since he was killed. Then the necks level would be the guys like Kevin Everrett, Pete Utley, and co.

[/ QUOTE ]

FlyWf 11-25-2007 11:37 PM

Well, severity of injury is not the same as gruesomeness. A lot of the paralyzing neck hits are completely innocuous looking.