Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How much do you want to be a few inches taller... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=234419)

man 10-12-2006 01:52 PM

Re: How much do you want to be a few inches taller...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's not that you can't do these things if you're tall, it's just that you're at a disadvantage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I'm 6'2" and midgets blow past me in the 100m dash.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
what I was saying is that taller people are at a disadvantage (read: they're usually slower than people of average height), not that there is an inversely proportional correlation between height and speed.

MrWookie 10-12-2006 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7...loiwishco7.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

CrazyEyez 10-12-2006 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what I was saying is that taller people are at a disadvantage (read: they're usually slower than people of average height), not that there is an inversely proportional correlation between height and speed.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what is the specific height at which increased drag outweighs longer stride?

IronDragon1 10-12-2006 02:09 PM

I would strongly consider lengthening procedures to get me 2-3 extra inches (I'm like 5'7" and a half or so)

Alobar 10-12-2006 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty happy with 5'9". I think being taller would get in the way of things I like to do like running and climbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how being tall could possibly get in the way of those two things.

[/ QUOTE ]
you probably don't do much of either of those two things.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does being tall put you at a disadvantage for climbing?
Sure if you are short with an ape index of +8 ure better off, (but then ure like a monkey, heh) but Id gladly be 6'1" as a climber rather than 5'9"

man 10-12-2006 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So what is the specific height at which increased drag outweighs longer stride?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. but the average physique for world-class milers is 5'9" and 145 pounds. world-class marathoners are a bit shorter, like 5'7" on average. the best distance runner in history haile gebrslaisse is 5'3" I believe.

I don't know the figures for climbers, but ed viesturs is a tall mountaineer at 5'10".

not saying tall people can't be fast or good climbers but I think if you stretched me out I'd be a lot worse at both.

Aloysius 10-12-2006 02:16 PM

Average male height in China - 5'7" (but S. Korea is 5'8" holla) - Link

I'm 6' tall, wouldn't mind a couple more inches.

This height lengthening thing doesn't surprise me. Asians are retarded and superficial. There was an article like in 2002 about "calf-shaving" for S. Korean women, it was in WSJ. (S. Korean women can have thick calves, also bow-legged.) The quotes from the women, post-op, were crazy, stuff like "sure I can't walk up and down stairs normally ever again, but my legs look great!".

[ QUOTE ]
Do you shorter guys actualy get shut down by chicks for being short alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Klompy, you must have no short male friends. Also I've heard women say it's definitely a deal breaker (cuz they like to wear the heels).

-Al

almostbusto 10-12-2006 02:18 PM

i am somewhere between 5'9" and 5'11" i have no idea my exact height. i have only checked my height twice in the last five years and i think it read one number one time and one number the other times. i think 5'11" was the first reading and both measurements took place long after i stopped growing.

which kind of shows how little i care about my height. i could gain or lose 2 or 3 inches and not care. its funny how everyone seems to want to be a little taller or the same height, but no one wants to be shorter. even 6'5" guys who are probably in the upper 2-5%.

IronDragon1 10-12-2006 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This height lengthening thing doesn't surprise me. Asians are retarded and superficial. There was an article like in 2002 about "calf-shaving" for S. Korean women, it was in WSJ. (S. Korean women can have thick calves, also bow-legged.) The quotes from the women, post-op, were crazy, stuff like "sure I can't walk up and down stairs normally ever again, but my legs look great!".

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Klompy, you must have no short male friends. Also I've heard women say it's definitely a deal breaker (cuz they like to wear the heels).

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is an and of itself worthy of a thread-despite the fact that only 5 or so posters will actually participate in a meaningful way.

man 10-12-2006 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty happy with 5'9". I think being taller would get in the way of things I like to do like running and climbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how being tall could possibly get in the way of those two things.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure if you are short with an ape index of +8 ure better off, (but then ure like a monkey, heh) but Id gladly be 6'1" as a climber rather than 5'9"

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it has to do with leverage and weight. you need more energy to do a pull up if your arm is 3' long instead of 2.5'. plus there are lots of gymnastic and crouching moves that are much easier if you're smaller. just speculating on observations though. I've seen some damn fine tall climbers. but not many.

Alobar 10-12-2006 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is an and of itself worthy of a thread-despite the fact that only 5 or so posters will actually participate in a meaningful way.

[/ QUOTE ]

5? I thought this board was predominately asian

CrazyEyez 10-12-2006 02:19 PM

Hmm...In addition to drag, it must be the extra weight you have to carry.

In theory Shawn Bradley should have been a world-class distance runner.

IronDragon1 10-12-2006 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5? I thought this board was predominately asian

[/ QUOTE ]

-Offtopic
-Myself
-Al
-Daver
-Skunkworks
-CDC (regular?)

man 10-12-2006 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think drag plays much of a factor but weight is probably a big part. either way it's a common myth that taller people are better runners, I have no idea where this came from. maybe because us skinny guys are like, an optical illusion.

duk 10-12-2006 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know. but the average physique for world-class milers is 5'9" and 145 pounds. world-class marathoners are a bit shorter, like 5'7" on average. the best distance runner in history haile gebrslaisse is 5'3" I believe.

I don't know the figures for climbers, but ed viesturs is a tall mountaineer at 5'10".

not saying tall people can't be fast or good climbers but I think if you stretched me out I'd be a lot worse at both.

[/ QUOTE ]

But average world class sprinters are around 6 feet. Asafa Powell and Carl Lewis are both 6'2, Justin Gatlin 6'1.

DonkeyKongSr 10-12-2006 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think drag plays much of a factor but weight is probably a big part. either way it's a common myth that taller people are better runners, I have no idea where this came from. maybe because us skinny guys are like, an optical illusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Johnson is 6'1". Whatupwithdat?

man 10-12-2006 02:26 PM

meh, sprinting is for pussies.

Gildwulf 10-12-2006 02:26 PM

I'm between 5'8" and 5'9" last time I checked and I would pay 50k to be 5'11. I'd probably earn it back over a lifetime in promotions, preferential job treatment, etc.

Klompy 10-12-2006 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

someone who's taller is going to have more body to carry as a climber, but he's not going to gain the same amount of strength to carry that weight with his upper body.

[ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest I don't think I have any friends under 6 feet tall. Strange now that I think about it. I almost never notice peoples height though, unless they're taller then me which happens maybe once a month.

Alobar 10-12-2006 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it has to do with leverage and weight. you need more energy to do a pull up if your arm is 3' long instead of 2.5'. plus there are lots of gymnastic and crouching moves that are much easier if you're smaller. just speculating on observations though. I've seen some damn fine tall climbers. but not many.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe that explains why I suck [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

arent david graham and chris sharma both like 6' tho?

Aloysius 10-12-2006 02:34 PM

Klomp - yeah I have a buddy who is 5'5" or so and he's mentioned it's a detriment, in his opinion, with chicks. Also, I think chicks care about having a taller boyfriend / husband for what it signifies etc. Anyway I always think of this when this topic comes up:

http://vcard.homer-simpson.de/images...lder/pic16.jpg

"I was always proud... that you weren't a short man."

-Al

man 10-12-2006 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah and danny osman was also pretty tall. it's not a very good blanket statement I guess.

CrazyEyez 10-12-2006 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm between 5'8" and 5'9" last time I checked and I would pay 50k to be 5'11. I'd probably earn it back over a lifetime in promotions, preferential job treatment, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
And dump twice that much back on the hotter women you would get.

man 10-12-2006 02:41 PM

oh man, I forgot about this video of dan osman:

http://www.vwho.net/player.php?VE_Path=s...2ECBhEp5fOCH1h2

SICK dyno at 1:13.

Alobar 10-12-2006 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah and danny osman was also pretty tall. it's not a very good blanket statement I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

blah, I looked at 8a.nu and Graham is only like 5'10" and I clicked on about 10 names and couldnt find anyone over 6'...bunch of short little bastards! I feel so dissillusioned [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

sharma is 6' tho for whatever thats worth

skunkworks 10-12-2006 02:46 PM

I'm 5'10" and I'm Korean. I'm pretty damn happy with my height since I have a lot of other Korean friends that are < 5'8". The length of your limbs definitely affects your strength since people with shorter limbs will have a greater mechanical advantage. My arms are a bit longer than they should be for my proportion; I wear a 34" sleeve.

You know, I thought there really were more Asian people on this board but maybe they're all closeted lurkers.

gildwulf, do you really think that one or two inches makes that big a difference?

Alobar 10-12-2006 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, thats just wrong

didnt he die jumping off a tree tied to a rope or something?

skunkworks 10-12-2006 02:52 PM

Also, anyone who doesn't think height doesn't play a pretty big role in your attractiveness to girls should go take a look at some craigslist personals where every girl wants a guy over 6 feet. Don't even mention the irony about how these girls are the same ones that get all sad when guys want girls < 140 lbs.

That's the ideal though -- tall guys are stronger, more dominating, and therefore more biologically fit for reproduction. Just like how skinny girls are prettier than fat chicks and less likely to be on welfare [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

man 10-12-2006 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, thats just wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
he died jumping off like a 1000-ft. cliff in yosemite with a rope tied to him, which is something he did pretty frequently. his last jump is on a DVD featuring him, but it doesn't show him dying. apparently there were no remains, just blood in the trees.

his mistake was changing his jumpoff point at the last moment so that the rope he was tied to rubbed against an anchor rope.

here's a video from the DVD of what I'm talking about--I haven't watched it the whole way through so I'm not sure if it shows his last jump but it gives you an idea of how ridiculous what he was doing is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...99016230&q

edit: another unfortunate point is that he was on his cell phone on his last jump. creepy for the person on the other end, whoever it was. his last words were something like "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ..."

highlife 10-12-2006 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, great explanation.

I assume you mean distance running, and I do know for sure the best distance runners currently and in the past have nearly all been near or above 6'.

man 10-12-2006 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, great explanation.

I assume you mean distance running, and I do know for sure the best distance runners currently and in the past have nearly all been near or above 6'.

[/ QUOTE ]
O
R
L
Y
?

headturner1 10-12-2006 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

running?

how in the hell does the fact that I am 6'6" get in the way of how fast I can run? I have always been pretty fast, I guess I am just failing to reason out the logic here.

Big Poppa Smurf 10-12-2006 03:13 PM

short climbers are better because they have to move less weight less distance, same reason people with shorter arms can bench more

also, i know a kid who did this surgery, he spent a year in bed recovering so he could go from 4'11 to 5'1 i think. if i ever see him again i plan on mocking him relentlessly

man 10-12-2006 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

running?

how in the hell does the fact that I am 6'6" get in the way of how fast I can run? I have always been pretty fast, I guess I am just failing to reason out the logic here.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah you are.

DonkeyKongSr 10-12-2006 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are right. We tall guys should just stick to banging all the chicks that don't want to bang you short guys.

DonkeyKongSr 10-12-2006 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

running?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of this. It's our larger penises. Sure we can run a few hundred meters with them or climb a fence or something, but beyond that, it really gets uncomfortable lugging these things around.

man 10-12-2006 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are right. We tall guys should just stick to banging all the chicks that don't want to bang you short guys.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf does being tall have to do with sprinting being for pussies? I was saying I don't care about sprinting since it's a sissy man's sport.

Alobar 10-12-2006 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, thats just wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
he died jumping off like a 1000-ft. cliff in yosemite with a rope tied to him, which is something he did pretty frequently. his last jump is on a DVD featuring him, but it doesn't show him dying. apparently there were no remains, just blood in the trees.

his mistake was changing his jumpoff point at the last moment so that the rope he was tied to rubbed against an anchor rope.

here's a video from the DVD of what I'm talking about--I haven't watched it the whole way through so I'm not sure if it shows his last jump but it gives you an idea of how ridiculous what he was doing is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...99016230&q

edit: another unfortunate point is that he was on his cell phone on his last jump. creepy for the person on the other end, whoever it was. his last words were something like "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ..."

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that video was pretty amazing. 7:30 was the scariest part, heh my stomach was in knots just watching that.

The next few hours of my life will prolly be wasted googling for more stuff [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

skunkworks 10-12-2006 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of this. It's our larger penises. Sure we can run a few hundred meters with them or climb a fence or something, but beyond that, it really gets uncomfortable lugging these things around.

[/ QUOTE ]
DKSR,

You sure seem insecure about something even though you're tall and have a big penis. Do they have surgery for personalities?????? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

DonkeyKongSr 10-12-2006 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
DKSR,

You sure seem insecure about something even though you're tall and have a big penis. Do they have surgery for personalities?????? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess...you are short?

Either that or your sarcasm detector is broken. My insane unscientific claims are no more ridiculous than Man's claims.