Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   September's Bells and Schools Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=491980)

diebitter 09-04-2007 04:19 PM

Re: September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I think DB is channeling Michael Caine on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I frequently do this, so that's possible. However, in this spot, it would be my a more deadpan, low-voice, steel-eyed "You owe what you owe, and you know what you owe. I'll take it now."

John Cole 09-04-2007 09:24 PM

Hell, I have to start work tomorrow for the first time since June 20th. One class at 11. Big whine.

John Cole 09-04-2007 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Civilization rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.

katyseagull 09-04-2007 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell, I have to start work tomorrow for the first time since June 20th. One class at 11. Big whine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You poor thing. So early, too. What's the class? Are you preparing tonight?

John Cole 09-04-2007 09:34 PM

Introduction to Literature, and I have already prepared. Basically we're supposed to go over the syllabus, but I start teaching right away and save the syllabus for the following class. Too many students move around too much after the first class and during the first week.

I'll spend forty minutes or so on the first page of Moby Dick.

katyseagull 09-04-2007 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Introduction to Literature, and I have already prepared. Basically we're supposed to go over the syllabus, but I start teaching right away and save the syllabus for the following class. Too many students move around too much after the first class and during the first week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this approach. Good plan, John Cole. Any other classes this semester?

(do you actually learn your students' names?)

Blarg 09-04-2007 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, that should keep your class load light! "On the Whiteness of the Whale" should clear out any stragglers. Maybe top it off with a painfully slow, wheezy reading of Poe's The Bells, while talking as if you had a mouthful of marbles. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

"...bells bells bells bells bells bells bells, the ringing and the singing of the ..."

News the next day, "200 Freshmen Crushed in Doorway Panic During Poetry Reading"

John Cole 09-05-2007 08:48 AM

Blarg, you should see the looks on their faces when we spend about fifteen minutes on the title of the first chapter and the first sentence. I leave the poetry part for later.

John Cole 09-05-2007 08:51 AM

Katy,

I also teach two Comp. courses, a film class, and a short story class. I do learn the students names, but it usually takes a couple weeks.

But I practice the hard ones before class so I can say them perfectly. Try "Olufunlola Olundijoi"; it's not that easy.

diebitter 09-05-2007 09:04 AM

Best student name I ever heard (not my class, but a colleague's) was a Nigerian student: Nozzy Fannybander.

This might be funnier for the English than for Americans.

tuq 09-05-2007 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, talk about a fate worse than death. If the kids are smart they'll flee like a fire alarm went off.

katyseagull 09-05-2007 01:20 PM

In search of a picture of Mat Sklansky. Don't want him to know. I feel it's safe to post this here. What are the odds he's going to read the Lounge?

You'd think it would be simple. That one pic has popped up all over the forums for a long time now. Db suggested I google it. I was like are you kidding? I don't want to comb through all those 2+2 hits that result from a google search. I don't have all day you know. He goes "Google image". Ok, yea right. Like Google Image is going to pop up my favorite pic of Mat. Sadly, it did not. But I did find some funny stuff.

This one made me laugh.

http://www.wernhamhogg.co.uk/images/...holdguitar.jpg

diebitter 09-05-2007 08:01 PM

Wait...that's not Mat?

Mkay, that gives me an idea, maybe it's time to do another TV Show Discussion Group.

Anyone interested in watching the first seasons of the UK and US versions of the Office, and discussing the characters, how they evolve, how the 2 series' characters compare etc? You know, an episode-by-episode discussion?

or discussing another show episode-by-episode?

katyseagull 09-05-2007 08:09 PM

I think The Office comparison is a great idea. Most people have seen both by now. They're really different in style and acting. I think I prefer the UK version. Seems to me like this has the potential for a lot of discussion.

Would anyone else be up for this besides you and me?

John Cole 09-05-2007 08:11 PM

I had one Nigerian student with a very long first name. When I called out his name, he told me, in very proper British English, that instead of his Nigerian name, I may call him Nigel. So Nigel it was.

katyseagull 09-05-2007 08:17 PM

btw, diebitter, I luv the name Nozzy Fannybander. Did you make that up? Is it from a book?

I would really like to see if we could get an Office thread going!

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/931/favpicsjb1.jpg

diebitter 09-05-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, diebitter, I luv the name Nozzy Fannybander. Did you make that up? Is it from a book?

[/ QUOTE ]

No that's a true story.

katyseagull 09-05-2007 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had one Nigerian student with a very long first name. When I called out his name, he told me, in very proper British English, that instead of his Nigerian name, I may call him Nigel. So Nigel it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was your first day of classes, John Cole?

Kimbell175113 09-05-2007 10:52 PM

The Office thread sounds like a great idea.

katyseagull 09-06-2007 12:00 AM

So you're with us? You'll watch both series and discuss? Awesome.

daveT 09-07-2007 02:55 AM

My friend from England is finally moving to America, but NY and not LA. I am very happy for her. I wanted to bring her out here, but I never did because I couldn't conceivably afford it.

Well, she has to let me meet her in The City, since I never been.

(No, we aren't uh, you know....)

daveT 09-07-2007 03:00 AM

Moby Dick is pure torture. The interest begins and ends with "My name is Ishmeal." Is that a Spanish name. Who cares. If you are so required to read it, do not buy the unabridged version. The Cliff Notes are hard enough to stay awake through.

I should start a "worst ever" thread.

Mrs Utah, I love all of your avatars.

katyseagull 09-09-2007 12:27 PM

Look what I found on my walk through the woods this morning!

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/5403/dsc03731nt0.jpg

Checking out my nectarine,
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1646/dsc03737zw9.jpg

Making a run for it,
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3429/dsc03739az4.jpg

I couldn't believe how powerful he was. (And his toenails were very sharp.)

Dominic 09-09-2007 12:40 PM

turtles are baddass. I once got to ride a giant sea turtle while scuba diving....well, not ride, more like hold on and have him bolt....weeeeeeeeee!

katyseagull 09-09-2007 12:44 PM

I can't even imagine the strength of a giant sea turtle, Dom. This little 4" box turtle was ridiculously strong for its size.

I want to have a giant sea turtle tow me through the water. That sounds like a lot of fun!

mrbaseball 09-09-2007 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Soup for lunch today?

katyseagull 09-09-2007 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Soup for lunch today?

[/ QUOTE ]

ewwww. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Mrs. Utah 09-09-2007 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
turtles are baddass. I once got to ride a giant sea turtle while scuba diving....well, not ride, more like hold on and have him bolt....weeeeeeeeee!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sea turtles are so cool. I saw so many of them when diving in Hawaii but we were told not to touch or bother them since they were protected.
Turtles look so awkward on land but just glide through the water.
(I might have some pics somewhere)

Blarg 09-09-2007 01:48 PM

Cool, Katy! I love turtles and used to have a few box turtles as pets. That they're still running around in the wild is awesome.

Yours looks like he might be satanically possessed, though, so be careful he doesn't pop up out of your bathwater with a knife or something.

Mrs. Utah 09-09-2007 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moby Dick is pure torture. The interest begins and ends with "My name is Ishmeal." Is that a Spanish name. Who cares. If you are so required to read it, do not buy the unabridged version. The Cliff Notes are hard enough to stay awake through.

I should start a "worst ever" thread.

Mrs Utah, I love all of your avatars.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of a randomly placed compliment but thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

rothko 09-11-2007 01:55 AM

take a wander over to oot. very cool story.

SoloAJ 09-11-2007 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The more we talked about Moby Dick in my Am Lit class last year, the more it grew on me. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that I was the only one who would say they even moderately liked it at the end of the class. Most people just didn't want to put in the time it took to appreciate a lot of it. Shrug.

I agree though, it is pretty bad in many ways. I would never recommend it to anyone, as they would never listen to my opinions again.

MrWookie 09-11-2007 09:13 PM

So, anyone who's interested in beer, who's checked out the beer club thread in here before but thought the thing was too huge, or even regular participants in that thread will probably be interested in this. I've made a sorted index that compiles the collective beer wisdom of 2+2. If you're looking to spice up your drinking, it's definitely worth a look.

katyseagull 09-11-2007 09:47 PM

Wow, MrWookie, very nice! Thank you for doing that. That must have taken you awhile.

So are there any red or brown ales out there that I can drink without gaining any weight?

MrWookie 09-11-2007 11:15 PM

Well, sorry hun. Alcohol = calories, and there's not anything you can do about it. Even a shot of vodka, which is pretty much nothing but alcohol, will have about 90 calories. Comparable amounts of alcohol from beer will run you 100-150 calories or so, maybe more for some really sweet beers like anything given the name imperial, lambics, tripels, and quadrupels. The fact that a beer doesn't add all that much on top of the base alcohol calories. If you're really concerned, the only solution is to drink less. On the other hand, beer isn't that much worse than anything else, since the stuff in beer doesn't add that much more to your waistline than the alcohol. If you're going to drink a certain amount of alcohol, you can do it with two lite beers or one good beer, and the two will have comparable caloric content. Might as well drink something that tastes better, right? I'd check out the beer styles you enjoy, and then perhaps explore some others of the same style that have lower alcohol content.

MrWookie 09-11-2007 11:36 PM

Huh. I didn't realize that the forum software cut off my index post, since all of it showed up in the preview. Anyway, here's the whole thing

Index Page 1 - Altbier through Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Index Page 2 - Belgian Strong Dark Ale through Imperial Stout
Index Page 3 - Imperial Stout through Winter Ale, plus Hard Cider tacked on the end.

katyseagull 09-11-2007 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Comparable amounts of alcohol from beer will run you 100-150 calories or so, maybe more for some really sweet beers like anything given the name imperial, lambics, tripels, and quadrupels. The fact that a beer doesn't add all that much on top of the base alcohol calories. If you're really concerned, the only solution is to drink less. On the other hand, beer isn't that much worse than anything else, since the stuff in beer doesn't add that much more to your waistline than the alcohol. If you're going to drink a certain amount of alcohol, you can do it with two lite beers or one good beer, and the two will have comparable caloric content. Might as well drink something that tastes better, right? I'd check out the beer styles you enjoy, and then perhaps explore some others of the same style that have lower alcohol content.

[/ QUOTE ]

150 calories per beer? No problemo! I will just cut out my daily bagel/swiss cheese and substitute a beer in the evening. I don't like light beers. I prefer ambers.

Curious, do you know how many calories are in a glass of Guinness? I think it tastes like burnt caramel. It's super thick and heavy.

MrWookie 09-11-2007 11:42 PM

If I remember correctly, Guinness claimed that one of their beers had ~120 calories in their ads.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, 20 oz of Guinness has 198 calories, so yes, a 12 oz bottle is about 120 calories. A 14.4 oz can (I think that's the size of the cans) would be just over 140 calories. This is largely due to the fact that Guinness is a fairly weak beer, just over 4% ABV.

katyseagull 09-11-2007 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh. I didn't realize that the forum software cut off my index post, since all of it showed up in the preview. Anyway, here's the whole thing

Index Page 1 - Altbier through Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Index Page 2 - Belgian Strong Dark Ale through Imperial Stout
Index Page 3 - Imperial Stout through Winter Ale, plus Hard Cider tacked on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol! I thought it looked a little short. Wow, this is even better! So how long did that take you to put it together anyway?

pryor15 09-11-2007 11:48 PM

Wook,

wow. that's some good work