Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Friday Night Lights Season 2 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504660)

Yeti 09-20-2007 02:55 PM

Re: Friday Night Lights Season 2

i'm optimistic that the show will last, even with the friday timeslow. if they wanted to end it i think the end of s1 would have been an ideal place to leave it.

btw, i didn't know until now, but it won an emmy. it was only for 'best casting', but still.

Dids 09-20-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best sports book I've ever read. For you guys who've read it, any other recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eearly John Feinstein is good. These days he's intollerably preachy and annoying (whereas before it was preachy and annoying, but tolerable). Kinda hinges on how much you care about the subject in question however.

silver book 09-20-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice

SL__72 09-21-2007 12:00 AM

Can't wait. Don't know how its going to work out on Friday nights... but thats what DVR is for.

Veecee 09-21-2007 12:10 AM

Smash Williams = the nuts

EDIT: Lyla Garrity = the stone cold nuts

sethypooh21 09-21-2007 01:20 AM

Ep one is streaming: http://tv.yahoo.com/falltv2007/friday-ni...fB11StoEuJMO4t4

Holy ish...

lastchance 09-21-2007 04:46 AM

<-- just hopes S2 is as good as S1.

<-- wants to hug sethypooh21 but won't.

cpitt398 09-21-2007 05:06 AM

ok, just watched the episode. I guess I over estimated the number o Seniors on the show. I didnt think Riggins was still going to be in school.

As far as the episode, Im not sure Im a fan of where they are going with some of the story lines. With that said I was still entertained and enjoyed it.

Is Lila not going to college?

lastchance 09-21-2007 05:53 AM

It's really a lot of setup until 25-30 minutes in, and then it gets awesome.

Edit: Also, I don't think Lila's a senior (but maybe I'm wrong). And people are stupid (but this is believable).

Wynton 09-21-2007 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, just watched the episode. I guess I over estimated the number o Seniors on the show. I didnt think Riggins was still going to be in school.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this isn't going to be one of those shows where the characters remain in high school for ten years, even as they become visibly middle-aged.

How old are these supposed high school actors anyway?

tdarko 09-21-2007 10:40 AM

Riggins: You look good, like real good.

Lyla: Thanks, it's probably b/c yesterday I was baptized and accepted Jesus as my Lord and savior. What did you do recently Tim?

Riggins: I had a thre-way w/ the Straton sisters.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Riggins.

sethypooh21 09-21-2007 01:21 PM

Without explicit spoilers, I'm very concerned about the direction of the Landry storyline.

tdarko 09-21-2007 04:10 PM

seth,

I just finished watching it and liked it b/c it had the same moments within the episode that made me like every episode in S1, for example, Saracen and Coach's encounter in the grocery store; well just about every seen with Chandler was great.

The Landry direction really was a twist and surprised me too. I didn't dislike it though. I actually think it could be good if they do it right and I think they will.

The character direction I didn't like was Lyla's.

jmill2511 09-21-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The character direction I didn't like was Lyla's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, prop bet on what episode she cracks and has some random hook up? Dibs on episode 5.

tdarko 09-21-2007 04:20 PM

jmill,

Prediction: Ratings are again low (retarded) so network writes in a saucy Lyla/Riggins hook-up scene for ep3. Ratings go up slightly.

jmill2511 09-21-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jmill,

Prediction: Ratings are again low (retarded) so network writes in a saucy Lyla/Riggins hook-up scene for ep3. Ratings go up slightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely support this decision.

sethypooh21 09-21-2007 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jmill,

Prediction: Ratings are again low (retarded) so network writes in a saucy Lyla/Riggins/Julie sandwich scene for ep3. Ratings go up slightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy can dream, right?

I agree that the Saracen/Taylor scene was awesome. Though one would think that as QB1 of the Texas state champs, Saracen would have more balls by now...

ZBTHorton 09-23-2007 08:26 AM

The Landry storyline is just retarded. Nobody would ever react like that in that situation. I mean, he did nothing wrong, so why's he flipping out?

I also completely support any story line involving Lyla hooking up with anyone.

Yeti 10-06-2007 05:58 PM

Pretty good ep.

Great scenes, most of them were mentioned :

- Opening pool scene, good music and WWRD?
- Lyla/Riggins
- The couch scene
- Coach/Matt

Very glad it's back.

Dids 10-06-2007 07:16 PM

Kinda not wild about last nights ep.

Landry stuff is bad.

Riggins stuff we did last year.

The Lyla stuff seems hamfisted.

It just kidna felt like a parody of a real ep.

Yeti 10-06-2007 07:25 PM

Dibs,

Landry ending was 'ugh, wtf', rest was good.

Lyla story was dumb, especially the Buddy stuff.

Anyway I just read a review that declared this ep a slight misstep but claims it is super good again next week, so I'm not worried.

Yeti 10-06-2007 07:57 PM

Connie: For those concerned about the murder, I would say just keep watching. Jesse Plemmons is such a great actor and he does this story so well and I would encourage people to keep watching as you see him go through the fallout of what happened and all the emotions and drama that comes with that. Characters overcoming major issues is what our show does well.

I must say the look on his face and in his eyes after he stoved the guy was pretty fantastic acting.

Yeti 10-06-2007 08:02 PM

http://blog.nbc.com/fnl/#

Q&A w/ an executive producer and Mrs Coach. Some mild spoilers (mostly under the heading "Will the teens be seen more together?") but nothing much.

Jay Riall 10-06-2007 08:04 PM

Yeti - how are you watching season 1? I can't find it anywhere and I'm too much of a stinge to go buy it.

Yeti 10-06-2007 08:10 PM

er, season 1 or s2? anyway, downloading. you must be really bad at the internet if you can't find it.

s1 is on amazon though and its pretty cheap

Jay Riall 10-06-2007 08:39 PM

Guess I suck at the internets. Didn't look too long though, will try again.

heater 10-06-2007 10:22 PM

Season one is also streaming on NBC's site.

cpitt398 10-08-2007 01:54 AM

For the people that just watched episode one on the internet stream and not on TV, apparently they changed the Laudry/attacker scene slightly.

In the original version, Laudry hit the attacker once with a bottle while he was attacking Tyra which made it a bit awkward when the guy was knocked out for 30 minutes and really confusing on why they chose to do what they did afterwards.

Apparently in the TV version, they made Laudry hit the attacker several times in teh back of the head with a pipe when the attacker was walking away. The TV version sounds like it would make more sense and make the stryline less retarded and more feasible

Soul Daddy 10-08-2007 02:04 AM

It does make more sense from a storyline perspective, granted. But it makes goofy Landry look capable of murder as opposed to self defense, which is the complete opposite of who that character was. And there's no way to get back to that innocence unless this goes all 90210 on us. I just feel they've ruined their best character and it's shame.

jaydub 10-08-2007 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It does make more sense from a storyline perspective, granted. But it makes goofy Landry look capable of murder as opposed to self defense, which is the complete opposite of who that character was.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was consistent. The following scenes were laughable but the murder was very believable.

I saw it only on tv.

J

Soul Daddy 10-08-2007 02:27 AM

I don't really care about the details of the murder. I only care about Landry's character. How can he ever be remotely as engaging as he was during s1? It's not possible, right? In scenes where he tries to harken back to his old self, I'm going to look at him as a fake, a killer. He's got a really big secret that will consume him, effectively taking the best light-hearted moments out of the show and replacing them with nothing but darkness.

Anyone can see where they're going with this, "it will bring Landry and Tyra so close, closer than they ever could have been before this." That's lazy writing, imo.

It was a nice show that portrayed mostly real people that many could identify with. Throwing this element into the fray makes it seem much more Dallas.

Hendricks433 10-08-2007 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone can see where they're going with this, "it will bring Landry and Tyra so close, closer than they ever could have been before this." That's lazy writing, imo.

[/ QUOTE ] I feel like it would be opposite in real life. If I killed someone with a close friend like that and threw him in the river whenever I hung out with that person that would be all I could think about so I would probably distance myself from them. Although the other side is hes the only person she can relate to and share with how shes feeling.

Bulldog 10-08-2007 10:16 AM

Two things about Ep1:

1. The Landry/Tyra thing was ridiculous. I know he is all twisted up with his desire to bang her, but no way he doesn't call the cops and tell them just what happened.

2. Most obvious foreshadowing ever--Coach Taylor misses his family too much and Buddy talks him into coming back after the Panthers start 0-2 or 0-3 and the Tennessee Tyrant gets canned. I'm certain the new guy is gone soon, and there is only one alternative to the above scenario, and that is Jason taking over the head job.

Dids 10-08-2007 10:17 AM

I thought the Landry stuff was decently done, it's just a little over the top drama that the show doesn't need.

His actions were pretty consistant with the character/situation.

Yeti 10-08-2007 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Most obvious foreshadowing ever--Coach Taylor misses his family too much and Buddy talks him into coming back after the Panthers start 0-2 or 0-3 and the Tennessee Tyrant gets canned. I'm certain the new guy is gone soon, and there is only one alternative to the above scenario, and that is Jason taking over the head job.

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares if it's obvious, what matters is how well it is done.

i don't know if you watch the office, butit was obvious jim would find himself back at scranton at some point, yet it was still well written.

tdarko 10-08-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know if you watch the office, butit was obvious jim would find himself back at scranton at some point, yet it was still well written.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this was well written.

Yeti 10-08-2007 12:49 PM

haha i did not see that avatar. or location. yeah.

Bulldog 10-08-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares if it's obvious, what matters is how well it is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how well you comprehended my post. I don't remember having any complaints in point #2.

sethypooh21 10-08-2007 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the people that just watched episode one on the internet stream and not on TV, apparently they changed the Laudry/attacker scene slightly.

In the original version, Laudry hit the attacker once with a bottle while he was attacking Tyra which made it a bit awkward when the guy was knocked out for 30 minutes and really confusing on why they chose to do what they did afterwards.

Apparently in the TV version, they made Laudry hit the attacker several times in teh back of the head with a pipe when the attacker was walking away. The TV version sounds like it would make more sense and make the stryline less retarded and more feasible

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait so on TV they made it like cold (hot?) blooded murder rather than self-defense? That's so whack and completely out of character for Landry (trivia - Jesse Plemons played Lance Harbor's younger brother in Varsity Blues...)

Also, I'm like 7000% sure that Riggins was supposed to be a Senior last year. This bothers me.

tdarko 10-08-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm like 7000% sure that Riggins was supposed to be a Senior last year. This bothers me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think he passed his classes?

Also, I didn't watch the TV version and the way it is explained in this thread seems weird. More importantly, I am wondering why it was changed?