Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   College Football Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=429476)

barryc83 06-20-2007 06:57 PM

Re: College Football Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Bama fan guy, is Brown really better than Prothro? I don't think I saw one Bama game last year so I have no idea.

UK beats UT this year!! Please God make it happen just once...

[/ QUOTE ]

Brown's year last season was better than any season Prothro ever had statistically speaking. That being said I'd rather have Prothro. I don't think he'll ever come back though and if he does, he will be a shell of his former self, JMO. DJ Hall is better than Prothro was and I don't really think its debatable. I guess what I meant to say is that those 2 were the best wr tandem I've ever seen bama have (keep in mind I'm 24).

orange 06-21-2007 05:11 PM

I think UK will definitely have a chance this year to be somewhat competitive. Woodson (sp?) is excellent and that guy Little? is really really good. I think their offense can compete with nearly anyone in the league but their defense has some huge problems.

I also go to University of Nebraska Lincoln, so I know a little bit about the Huskers. Though I'm not a huge fan of NE, I still go to all the games simply because I love college football.

NE will have a great offense this year, arguably better than last year. Our OL is much more experienced and our QB will most likely be upgraded (We got Sam Keller from ASU). Our recieving corps are pretty decent, though hit tremendously in the past few weeks with our number 1 reciever possibly kicked off the team (Maurice Purify).

Our RB is still a ?. We lost starter Brandon Jackson, who went to the Packers. We still have talented Marlon Lucky, who was heralded as the 'next reggie bush' (isnt everyone like that though?) but has yet to live up to all his hype. He's a solid back, no question, but hasn't shown near the productivity that Bush has. Nontheless, our RBs should be okay if Glenn is healthy.

Our defense is a problem. We lost all of our DL (Jay Moore and Carriker both went to the NFL) and this was the strength of our D. Our defensive backs were not good last year. They ranked 77th in Pass defense and every time I saw Grixby isolated one on one I couldnt help but shudder for all the die hard Nebraska fans. Our DBs should be upgraded though with JUCO transfer Asante and a more experienced Andre Jones.

So, we need to replace our entire DL which shouldnt be TOO difficult, but nontheless a large question mark going into next season. Our LBs are definitely the strength of our defense, and IIRC, Nebraska will be switching to a 3-4 instead of a 4-3 next year. Octavian, Ruud, Dillard, Mckeon, etc are all very good and very experienced.

As far as coaches go, we lost Offensive Coordinator Norvell who went to UCLA. Not a huge loss though, because Callahan calls all the plays.

So, as next season is coming through, the main question marks are-
-will the DL come together and succeed?
-will our DBs be improved from last year?
-will Keller live up to all the hype that he generated when he came to UNL?
-will other recievers step up in the place of a potentially lost Mo Purify?

When USC comes marching into town in September, I cannot wait....

MyTurn2Raise 07-15-2007 08:31 PM

just got my Phil Steele's guide

I'm creamin'

Illinois is his #2 improved team, but still only 7th in conference due to a tough schedule

September 1 it all begins

Needle77 07-15-2007 08:35 PM

MT2R,

I've picked up both Steele's and Street and Smith's. Haven't had much of a chance to read them yet. Any reason you got Steele's over S&S? Curious.

MyTurn2Raise 07-15-2007 09:42 PM

I have Steele's, Street&Smith's, Athlon's, and Lindy's
I like many sources being a pro gambler...they're all tax deductible anyway

Steele's is by far the best IMO for the following reasons:
less narrative and more facts
stat breakdowns from last year's games
thorough depth charts
history of being the best at forecasting

Steele's is the Gold Medal award winner
The Gold sheet is the Silver

most of the rest are hit or miss narratives

Street and Smith's throwback covers this year are not my fav

MyTurn2Raise 07-15-2007 09:43 PM

the downside of Steele is he spends too much time touting his past achievements

orange 07-17-2007 10:21 PM

I own lindys/Steeles/Athlon/S&S.

I agree with the Steele comment. I like his mag, it has tons of info and alot of great stats. I do agree that he spends way too much time analyzing QBs from 5-6 years ago though.

About a month and a half left...

Terrabon98 07-17-2007 11:12 PM

Am I crazy to think that Michigan is going to have a bad year? On paper, they are loaded offensively, yes, but so what? They run the same three damn plays no matter what anyway. And defensively, well, it's not good when Trent is the best player in your secondary.

More than that though, I think it's a psychological thing. Anytime Michigan starts preseason ranked really high, it always seems like things come crashing down, whether it's from the pressure or the fact that they were overrated (probably a combination of the two). In fact, our two best years in the past decade were when we started the season ranked relatively low, and fought our way up the rankings.

Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised, and I don't think Michigan will have an awful season, but I would not be surprised if they lost 3 games. I think they will lose one of the big games (OSU, Wisco) and probably drop a random game and probably the bowl game. Hopefully I will be proved wrong, but I just have this looming sensation in the pit of my stomach that I always get when we are ranked so high preseason.

Also, Damaniac, you will love going to the game at Madison. I went two years ago, and it was absolutely nuts. On our way to the game, 4 of us walked into this culdesac to go to a friend's tailgate, and a sea of red surrounded us on all sides and started chanting "[censored]". As we got to the center of the swarm, we stood there for a goood 2-3 minutes just watching at least 100 Badgers yelling and pointing at us. One of the more intense moments of my life. But they gave us drinks after, so it was all good...and their student section is absolutely bat [censored] crazy awesome. It puts ours to shame

MyTurn2Raise 07-20-2007 08:55 PM

ESPN is starting coverage next week with college football live at 3:30 PM EST monday through friday with numerous replays on the U

hopefully, this show will have good insight and analysis like that given by McShay and Lugenbill on the Tuesday Coaches' Show last year

in all likelihood, I'll be watching Corso, Herbstreit, Fowler crap

ESPNU also showing the conference meeting days next week beginning with the BigXII, SEC, and Pac-10

Austiger 07-20-2007 09:47 PM

Orange, TFG, et al,

Auburn has lost one road game in 3 years and we had to miss 5 out of 6 FGs to lose that one in OT (LSU in '05.) Revenge will be a tall order, even in the Swamp.

TruFloridaGator 07-20-2007 11:01 PM

That stat is a bit overrated, Auburn has been great so it's not much of a surprise for them to only lose 1 road game. UF has only lost 1 home game in 3 years, both will be pretty meaningless with how different the teams are this year and the different directions each team could go.

I certainly remember the last time Auburn came to the Swamp.
I was in the 2nd row of the end zone that Rex through the winner to Taylor Jacobs in OT, I could see his cleat digging out the turf to get the foot down. Sick game and hopefully will be another instant classic this time around.

TalkingDonkey 07-20-2007 11:14 PM

Let us gogogogogogo Michigan. That being said, yes we suck when ranked high, it usually involves us losing our second game to Notre Dame or some Pac-10 team.

Don't sleep on UK in the SEC. With Woodson, Little, and Burton they will have the best passing attack in the conference, and don't be surprised if they ring up 40+ points against some pretty good teams. The only problem is the defense keeping the other team under 50. Last year it was a very young unit, with mostly sophomores and a few juniors/seniors, so look for a marked improvement. Louisville vs. UK is shaping up to be one of the most entertaining and highest-scoring games of the season.

Clark - went to Gainesville last year for the LSU-UF game. Let me just say it was probably the sickest game day atmosphere I've seen at any school for any sport; just hope Florida wins when you go because that night will be insanity.

damaniac 07-21-2007 12:27 AM

With regard to Michigan, my concern is that the team is a mirror of last year's: strong O and mediocre D instead of a strong D and mediocre O. The problem is that the coaching staff does a much better job of strategically maximizing our output on D but a terrible job on O (punting from the 37 on 4th and 2, treating time of possession and avoiding turnovers as far more important than scoring points, etc). Also, my feeling is that teams with a few big offensive stars tend to get overrated because lazy media ppl just notice them (although the O is pretty strong all around, even on the line and deep at WR).

Still, the Big Ten should be down again and almost everyone has a new QB. How scary is it that Anthony Morelli may be the 2nd or 3rd best QB you face? Plus ND will be down, we have them, PSU, and OSU (and Oregon) at home...bodes very well indeed. We're not really in the same league as USC, and probably only about the fifth best team in the country, but on account of all these factors we have a pretty good shot at meeting them in New Orleans anyway.

MyTurn2Raise 07-21-2007 03:40 AM

The Big11Ten is way up from last year

tOSU lost alot on offense, but most everyone else is improved and the Buckeye defense looks monstrous. tOSU has the QB from Jersey ready to step in. tOSU will lose a little at receiver. Beanie Wells will be great if he holds onto the ball.

Wisconsin brings back nearly everyone.

Penn St brings back quite alot of stars and will be a force if Morelli improves.

Iowa will be better. Drew Tate was hobbled most of last year. Replacing him won't be much of a drop-off. In addition, Iowa finally found a break-out receiver in the bowl game.

Purdue brings back a ton and will be better. Painter might be the most accurate big11ten qb since Brees this coming year. With Dorian Bryant and 4 linemen returning, the offense is looking great.

Illinois will be one of the most improved teams in the country (#2 improved by Phil Steele's projections). They bring back 20 starters and added a ton of new, game-changing talent.

Big11Ten much stronger as Michigan, Wisonsin, and Penn St this year > tOSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin last year. Than the middle of the pack is so much better than the punching bags thrown out there last year.

Unfortunately, this will really hurt Big11Ten national title hopes as it will be much tougher to run the table with each team having many more losable games.

I think the Big11Ten this year = SEC or Pac-10 of last year. Just a boatload of returning starters across the league.

tOSU will be a little worse and Minny will be alot worse. Everyone else looks the same or upticking.

Case Closed 07-21-2007 03:58 AM

I love cubs baseball and all. But I can not wait for football season to start back up.

Kos13 07-21-2007 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Big11Ten is way up from last year

tOSU lost alot on offense, but most everyone else is improved and the Buckeye defense looks monstrous. tOSU has the QB from Jersey ready to step in. tOSU will lose a little at receiver. Beanie Wells will be great if he holds onto the ball.

Wisconsin brings back nearly everyone.

Penn St brings back quite alot of stars and will be a force if Morelli improves.

Iowa will be better. Drew Tate was hobbled most of last year. Replacing him won't be much of a drop-off. In addition, Iowa finally found a break-out receiver in the bowl game.

Purdue brings back a ton and will be better. Painter might be the most accurate big11ten qb since Brees this coming year. With Dorian Bryant and 4 linemen returning, the offense is looking great.

Illinois will be one of the most improved teams in the country (#2 improved by Phil Steele's projections). They bring back 20 starters and added a ton of new, game-changing talent.

Big11Ten much stronger as Michigan, Wisonsin, and Penn St this year > tOSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin last year. Than the middle of the pack is so much better than the punching bags thrown out there last year.

Unfortunately, this will really hurt Big11Ten national title hopes as it will be much tougher to run the table with each team having many more losable games.

I think the Big11Ten this year = SEC or Pac-10 of last year. Just a boatload of returning starters across the league.

tOSU will be a little worse and Minny will be alot worse. Everyone else looks the same or upticking.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does look really strong. All of my friends at Wisconsin are pretty confident that they're going to win the conference. No argument from me.

My Boilers look decent this year. The offense should be good...I really think Painter will emerge this year as one of the better QBs in the conference. I just hope Tiller stops running the same stupid draw play on every 2nd and 10. Bryant is a good receiver, but he's a punk...I've still never forgiven him for fumbling against Michigan my freshman year. I really wish I had been here during the Brees era. I've had some classes with Painter, Sheets, Williams, etc. They seem like nice, normal guys, but they certainly don't compare to Brees. Plus, it doesn't help that the team has sucked since 5 3/4 games into my freshman year.

I'm probably going to the Purdue-Michigan game in Ann Arbor this year (to watch my Boilers get beat). Are there any hot spots that I need to check out before or after the game?

damaniac 07-21-2007 09:49 AM

My concern, MT2R, is that almost everyone has to replace a QB (Michigan, PSU, Purdue have theirs back, and while I will not be shocked at all if Morelli turns the corner and looks pretty good, he hasn't proven anything yet, and Painter isn't anything special either). I do think Wisconsin will be excellent. Otherwise, though, that QB thing just gets me...that's a pretty big thing to replace. In particular, the OSU fans I know have told me they are not particularly thrilled with their options.

Of course, maybe I'm just projecting: bad quarterbacking is the most important thing to get my Wolverines through unscathed. Secondary will be the weakness (although the whole D lost a lot).

orange 07-22-2007 01:11 PM

Sidenote:

Have any of you guys ever found a place/site to purchase CFB games on dvd? Any recommendations? I just purchased a few off sell.com and will tell you how it is.

damaniac 07-26-2007 10:22 AM

Reviving this thread (stopped reading the UM Schedule one, but I'm guessing it can die any time now) to point out that Charlie Weis lost his medmal lawsuit.

No real opinion on the outcome, since I didn't follow it and lack the qualifications to make a judgment. However, I am slightly annoyed at Weis' post-trial comments. He blamed the jurors for the outcome, which I guess isn't entirely illogical but seems a little bitter (should just say you disagree and move on). The real issue, though, is his donation to charity thing. He made a big point about how disabled kids lost money because of this, because he was going to donate the money he won, if he had won, to charity.

Now, I do not doubt his sincerity at all. What annoys me is his attempt to get credit for donating money that he didn't donate. He seems to do that a lot, puffing himself up for stuff that probably doesn't merit it. For ex, he talks about self-scouting like it's some revolutionary concept that only a sooper-genius like Weis does, instead of something everyone does. Or his obnoxious act of "taking responsibility" for a loss, wherein he says stuff like "the players did all this stuff bad, but I'm the coach so I have to take responsibility for it", which is really blaming the players and then trying to get some credit for "stepping up" and taking responsibility.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good coach (and possibly an excellent one, we'll see what his teams are doing 2-3 years down the road when the talent he's recruiting now are older), but I don't particularly care for his attitude (although this is undoubtedly colored by my contempt for Notre Dame).

damaniac 07-26-2007 10:30 AM

More stuff (since I'm bored at work).

Don't know if people have discussed the Big Ten Network yet. Very interesting/exciting concept if this takes off. A few football games (mostly the stuff that was on ESPN+/Regional, Indiana/Purdue, Michigan/App State and the like), many basketball games, probably some non-revenue sports (really hoping for a lot of hockey), plus a bunch of old games. I really like the idea.

My concern is of course will I get to see it? The negotiations are bogged down now, as the BTN wants $1.10 per subscriber in the Big Ten footprint (8 Big Ten states) and something like a dime per elsewhere. They also want it on the regular/expanded basic cable tier instead of a special sports tier, so more people get it. Comcast (in particular) doesn't want to pay that much so we're stalled. If they screw this up and no one has BTN by kickoff (think UM/AppSt is on it) people are going to be ready to kill someone. I'm lucky b/c I have season tickets but it'd be a nightmare not to see a couple games (like BSU last year being on ESPNU which no one got).

In conclusion, cable monopolies suck.

Dudd 07-26-2007 12:21 PM

I don't blame the cable companies at all for not wanting to pay that much for the B10 Network. How many people are going to watch the exciting NW/Illinois track meet, or a football game against a 1AA opponent? 1.10 is more than every cable channel besides ESPN and TNT I believe, and that's just ridiculous to charge that for games against Appalachian State and the like.

damaniac 07-26-2007 12:34 PM

I doubt they are married to $1.10. It's a negotiation, after all, they're not going to start off by offering what they actually expect to get. From the sound of things, some of the issues appear to be the cable companies wanting to stand firm now, as the fee, if any, could set a precedent if and when other conferences start doing this, and that Comcast has it's own sports channels and would prefer to relegate competitors to the less-purchased Sports Tier to limit competition.

CarlSpackler 07-26-2007 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More stuff (since I'm bored at work).

Don't know if people have discussed the Big Ten Network yet. Very interesting/exciting concept if this takes off. A few football games (mostly the stuff that was on ESPN+/Regional, Indiana/Purdue, Michigan/App State and the like), many basketball games, probably some non-revenue sports (really hoping for a lot of hockey), plus a bunch of old games. I really like the idea.

My concern is of course will I get to see it? The negotiations are bogged down now, as the BTN wants $1.10 per subscriber in the Big Ten footprint (8 Big Ten states) and something like a dime per elsewhere. They also want it on the regular/expanded basic cable tier instead of a special sports tier, so more people get it. Comcast (in particular) doesn't want to pay that much so we're stalled. If they screw this up and no one has BTN by kickoff (think UM/AppSt is on it) people are going to be ready to kill someone. I'm lucky b/c I have season tickets but it'd be a nightmare not to see a couple games (like BSU last year being on ESPNU which no one got).

In conclusion, cable monopolies suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol at the Big 10 Network trying to get on the basic/expanded cable package. The NFL Network hasn't even got cable companies to agree to this to my knowledge (at least on Cox Cable the NFLN is on the additional sports channels tier).

I know the Big 12 is trying to do something similar to the Big10 Network, except the main schools want their own exclusive channels. So you would have a UT Network, NU Network, OU Network, etc.

CarlSpackler 07-26-2007 02:01 PM

There's some important player news from a couple of major programs:

Sr. WR Mo Purify, Nebraska, one of the top 4 wr's in the Big 12 and the guy sure to be Sam Keller's #1 target this year, received a 1 game suspension for the 2 incidents he was involved in earlier this summer. He'll sit out Nebraska's opening game vs. Nevada, and return for the game @ Wake Forest. He was also allowed to rejoin the team back on Monday after being suspended indefinitely for the last 7 weeks.

Sr. RB Alley Broussard, has quit LSU's football team. He has never fully recovered from a knee injury back in 2005, and he said his heart wasn't in it anymore.

barryc83 07-26-2007 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Orange, TFG, et al,

Auburn has lost one road game in 3 years and we had to miss 5 out of 6 FGs to lose that one in OT (LSU in '05.) Revenge will be a tall order, even in the Swamp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I really think you aubs are just hilarious. You guys really think youre gonna win 10 games this year, no f.cking way. You have been good the last couple of years, but you will not be this year, your team is just not as good.

I would describe Cox as a "decent/pretty good" player, hes not great or even a playmaker. Hes a "just dont screw anything up" QB. And who's he gonna be throwing to this year? Also, Irons>>>Lester. As an Alabama fan I will give Kenny Irons props, he was a great RB. You guys churn out RBs like no tomorrow but theres no guarantee that hes gonna be great or even good. Not to mention your garbage O line from last year didnt get any better. Your D will be strong as always though. I just dont see how you are gonna score this year and your schedule is brutal. @Fla, @LSU, @UGA. And we dont have ol deer in the headlights anymore so theres no gtd win in the iron bowl anymore. You'll win 8-9 games IMO. For the record, I dont see you losing to USF like some people think.

UF has had creme de la creme recruiting classes since Ron Zook. Even though they lost a hell of a lot on D, they still have blue chippers back there waiting to play. Meyer is a damn offensive genius too and I personally think Tebow will not choke. Last year you guys were solid but the schedule sucks big time for you this year.

barryc83 07-26-2007 10:56 PM

And DJ Hall got snubbed big time from the pre season All SEC team. Not even on the 3rd team...pathetic, hes a 2nd teamer.

orange 07-27-2007 10:11 PM

Guys,
I finally got my dvds a few days ago. Decent quality, I enjoyed them. I bought the 1996 Sugar bowl (UF/FSU), 2005 Rose Bowl(UT/USC), and the 2006 SEC Champ (UF/Ark).

professormike 07-29-2007 11:58 PM

my team is west virginia, im excited to see them go on what could very easily be a national championship run but what i am most excited about is going to the possible classic on november 8th when louisville comes to town

orange 07-30-2007 02:54 PM

WVU has the talent no doubt. But the only gripes I have about them in the NC game is their weak schedule. Other than UL, I don't really see many good teams (Rutgers maybe).

heater 07-30-2007 03:51 PM

Michigan got a verbal commitment from Sam McGuffie yesterday.
He's a RB from Texas who rushed for 3,000+ yards and scored 40+ TD's as a junior.

Here's a pretty sweet highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4IJ17ODo_s

My personal favorite is at 3:34.

orange 07-30-2007 03:54 PM

One month till CFB season starts.

heater 07-30-2007 03:57 PM

And it can't come soon enough. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Needle77 07-30-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WVU has the talent no doubt. But the only gripes I have about them in the NC game is their weak schedule. Other than UL, I don't really see many good teams (Rutgers maybe).

[/ QUOTE ]

Rutgers > WVU. Oct. 27th. Can't wait for it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Case Closed 07-30-2007 04:59 PM

wtf that kid hurdles like 8 people in that clip

damaniac 07-30-2007 05:00 PM

ND and Michigan agree to another 20 years, extending the rivalry through 2031 (it was slated to end in 2011). Mixed feelings here. I like the rivalry and want to see it continue, but not if it means no other interesting non-conference opponents. I'm sure Bill Martin (Mich AD) understands this, he's been pretty good for the most part, so hopefully I will take this as a sign that he will consider adding a second "tough" opponent some years. I would have preferred 2 on, 2 off. Oh well.

Austiger 07-30-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Orange, TFG, et al,

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I really think you aubs are just hilarious. You guys really think youre gonna win 10 games this year, no f.cking way. You have been good the last couple of years, but you will not be this year, your team is just not as good.

I would describe Cox as a "decent/pretty good" player, hes not great or even a playmaker. Hes a "just dont screw anything up" QB. And who's he gonna be throwing to this year? Also, Irons>>>Lester. As an Alabama fan I will give Kenny Irons props, he was a great RB. You guys churn out RBs like no tomorrow but theres no guarantee that hes gonna be great or even good. Not to mention your garbage O line from last year didnt get any better. Your D will be strong as always though. I just dont see how you are gonna score this year and your schedule is brutal. @Fla, @LSU, @UGA. And we dont have ol deer in the headlights anymore so theres no gtd win in the iron bowl anymore. You'll win 8-9 games IMO. For the record, I dont see you losing to USF like some people think.

UF has had creme de la creme recruiting classes since Ron Zook. Even though they lost a hell of a lot on D, they still have blue chippers back there waiting to play. Meyer is a damn offensive genius too and I personally think Tebow will not choke. Last year you guys were solid but the schedule sucks big time for you this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cox will be much better this year. He is supposedly healthy and stronger than he has ever been. He won't be all-SEC but he will be good enough. Our RBs will be better than last year. Irons was injured most of the year. Lester/Tate/Fannin will be great I think. Any of them could start for most teams. The only things holding us back are OL and special teams, but those could gel so you never know. I am looking forward to the season and seeing how we come together. 10 wins is not out of the question.

professormike 07-31-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rutgers > WVU. Oct. 27th. Can't wait for it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think they are going to be as good as they are thought to be aka wvu by 17 in that game

Needle77 08-01-2007 03:51 PM

Big 10 talks expansionand then backs out.

In the article it says that Rutgers is a possible team for the expansion. ND, Syracuse, Missouri, Texas, among others are also listed as possible teams thatthe Big 10 wants to bring in.

They aren't getting the TV deal done with comcast or Time Warner and it seems they think by bringing in another team will get the deal. Especially teams like Texas or Rutgers due to the huge markets they are in. I don't see it as being advantageous for any of the teams to really join at this moment.

damaniac 08-01-2007 04:14 PM

The Big Ten expansion has long been discussed. I don't know that it is strictly to get the TV deal, which may still go through anyway if the Big Ten lowers its demands a bit. ND is probably ideal in most ways but they really like being independent. If we wind up with an 8 team playoff with conference auto-bids, they might have their hand forced, as they would only be able to compete for the (presumably 2) open bids AND would be very unlikely to get any kind of automatic deal (10 wins and top 10 or something), so they'll basically have to join, become USC-good, or die.

Texas gets laughed about as a choice, and perhaps deservedly so, but it was a serious consideration when the SWC broke up. It's actually a very good fit for athletics and academics (not going to go into it but academics matters a good deal b/c you get entry into the CIC if you get into the Big Ten). Also, the Big Twelve revenue deal is not entirely to their liking. That being said, the distance, especially for other sports, and the lack of traditional rivals makes it very very unlikely. But I'm just saying it isn't totally insane.

More available at MGOBLOG, which goes through every possible team and then some.

damaniac 08-03-2007 11:50 AM

USA Today/Coaches Poll is out today.

1. Southern California (45) 11-2 1,481 4
2. LSU (4) 11-2 1,372 3
3. Florida (9) 13-1 1,278 1
4. Texas 10-3 1,231 13
5. Michigan (2) 11-2 1,218 9
6. West Virginia 11-2 1,205 10
7. Wisconsin 12-1 1,114 5
8. Oklahoma 11-3 1,026 11
9. Virginia Tech
10-3 1,005 18
10. Ohio State 12-1 919 2
11. Louisville 12-1 836 7
12. California 10-3 763 14
13. Georgia 9-4 604 NR
14. Auburn
11-2 595 8
15. Tennessee 9-4 583 23
16. Rutgers 11-2 466 12
17. UCLA 7-6 454 NR
18. Penn State 9-4 440 25
19. Nebraska
9-5 388 NR
20. Arkansas 10-4 360 16
21. Florida State 7-6 301 NR
22. TCU
11-2 233 21
23. Boise State 13-0 222 6
24. Hawaii
11-3 214 24
25. Texas A&M 9-4 209 NR

Others receiving votes (with 2006) records:

Boston College (10-3) 150; Georgia Tech (9-5) 150; Miami (Fla.) (7-6) 91; Notre Dame (10-3) 90; South Carolina (8-5) 90; Wake Forest (11-3) 71; Missouri (8-5) 58; Oregon State (10-4) 52; Brigham Young (11-2) 47; Clemson (8-5) 30; Oregon (7-6) 30; South Florida (9-4) 26; Texas Tech (8-5) 20; Alabama (6-7) 16; Oklahoma State (7-6) 15; Southern Mississippi (9-5) 14; Iowa (6-7) 12; Kansas State (7-6) 8; Memphis (2-10) 5; Houston (10-4) 4; Arizona (6-6) 1; Duke (0-12) 1; Kentucky (8-5) 1; Washington State (6-6) 1.

Thoughts:

USC at number 1 is of course right. No major quibbles with the Top 5. I wouldn't give Michigan any first place votes now, though. I'd also not give Florida any; they lost a lot on defense. My main objection here is that you just know a few of those votes came from people who were thinking "But they're the champions. They are number 1 until they lose," by which logic we should just trot out the poll from last year and start with that.

Comments?