Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Survivor China OFFICIAL THREAD (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=505251)

zuluking 09-21-2007 10:27 AM

Re: Survivor China OFFICIAL THREAD

James the Gravedigger also works as a bouncer here at bars in downtown Lafayette. I don't know him personally, but people that do say he's very shy and quiet...unusual for a Survivor contestant.

FGators 09-21-2007 10:51 AM

I thought Chicken would be a memorable character at least.

I'm not sure how full of life this group is. Obviously we'll enjoy JRB and Ashley and maybe the Gravedigger for his athleticism.

Besides that I'm not getting too much I don't think, though obviously it's early.

I saw a lot more potential in past seasons for characters.

That NYC waitress Courtney might be the closest guess for good TV.

27offsuit 09-21-2007 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
James the Gravedigger also works as a bouncer here at bars in downtown Lafayette. I don't know him personally, but people that do say he's very shy and quiet...unusual for a Survivor contestant.

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems like a really genuine nice guy.
He'll never make it for this reason. His best shot is to kick ass on challenges once they go to individual immunity. He should at least be safe until then because he is such a challenge stud. As soon as he took the dragon head last night, I knew they were winning.

Chicken was an idiot, but his group was more stupid for voting him off first. Jesus, he was stupid, though...he had a lot to offer, he just didn't want to rock the boat early. unfortunately, he was grouped with the young, lazy, and stupid group.

Jean-Robert got a good draw, however. He could go for a while...

Nicholasp27 09-21-2007 03:11 PM

chicken woulda been annoying on ur tribe

he didn't say "in my experience, we should be doing it x way instead of y way"...instead he did the condescending "u aren't really gonna do it that way are you?"

and then when people asked for his opinion, he was like "i'm just going with the flow" and "i agree with you"

first condescending, then passive-aggressive annoying...had to go...like one person said "what good is having his strength on the tribe if he isn't gonna use it to help us"

R*R 09-21-2007 06:18 PM

So what's with that poker player. I see he has had some good finishes at the poker table but otherwise he appears to be socially incompetent to me. With all the thousands of poker players around I had higher expectations.
Was his questioning the airline steward (gay, not that there's anything wrong with that) supposed to be some kind of strategic mind game. Brilliant! Yeah sure. Thats the way to build allliances by calling a guy a liar over some insignficant point. I wish the Grinder went broke so he could consider playing the "Survivor" game. There's a guy you could cheer for.

thephenom 09-21-2007 06:24 PM

JRB on ESPN poker events has come off as pretty annoying. Like some arrogant guy making comments to get camera time. I have no idea what that conversation with the airline steward was about, saying he knew the guy was sneaky or a shark or whatever.

Maybe his best strategic move so far was to show up to Survivor overweight, so that by the time he's starved a few weeks into the show, some of that blubber will have burned off and he'll have a more normal looking body, while normal looking guys will have a more anorexic looking body.

FieryJustice 09-22-2007 04:55 AM

jrb clearly has a bad case of fancy play syndrome

R*R 09-22-2007 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what that conversation with the airline steward was about, saying he knew the guy was sneaky or a shark or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you. It wasn't that complicated. The guy told him what he did for a living and JB told him he didn't believe him. It was just such a blatantly simple reaction.
My youngest daughter said " is that poker player ever dumb". I almost felt embarassed. lol.

Synur 09-22-2007 10:18 AM

It's hard to gauge how this show is going to be based solely on this first episode. I remember not enjoying last season's Survivor until about mid way through the season. Still, this first episode was very engaging. I really hate the direction the show has been going by selecting 'characters' as contestants.

evagaba 09-22-2007 11:02 AM

I thought this was one of the most boring episodes I have ever watched.

Wires 09-22-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then this must be the first episode you have ever watched.

Survivor has been my guilty pleasure since the first season. Things went down hill after the All-Star season largely due to weak casts and twists that impacted the integrity of the game.

The first episode of China has given me hope that this may be an entertaining season.

bellytimber 09-22-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Survivor has been my guilty pleasure since the first season.

[/ QUOTE ]

mine too. And yeah I agree with you, the show's not what it used to be, but last season was really great IMO--Dreamz breaking his promise to Yao was one of the most watchable storylines in the noble history of reality TV.

My first impression of the gravedigger--besides wow christ that guy is a f'ing giant--is that he is authentically a soft-spoken dude in the John Coffey meets Mr Jingles tradition. I think he'll be fine, I'll bet he makes it to the jury at least.

Jack of Arcades 09-22-2007 04:23 PM

Watching the show just for James.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-24-2007 01:12 AM

no one on 2+2 knows this guy? when the huge, gigantic, soft spoken black guy said "I bury people" i thought it was hysterical. he reminds me of the black guy from the green mile. people are probably afraid to vote against him because of the race factor.

"Survivor has been my guilty pleasure since the first season."

I haven't watched it since the first season which was a long time ago. They could make this show so much cooler by doing the following: making the challenges more complicated and painful, choosing more physically and mentally capable contestants.

mike l. 09-24-2007 01:29 AM

chicken is the type of assshole baby boomer i have to play poker with like every day of my life so i was thrilled to see him go.

calling a con artist railbird who's aspiration in life is to replace sam grizzle when he finally ODs a "professional poker player" is pretty funny. nevertheless i think survivor is right up his alley and he could go far if he picks the right naive people to align himself with and doesnt turn on them too quick.

pretty much everyone seems retarded so im going to pick frosti the parkour dude as the one to win it all with the black guy being the only other option on the guy side. either that or some random weak chick with no personality who just tags along to the end like that danni chick several seasons back. i kinda like it when that happens. i wouldnt mind seeing the mullet chick win, she could definitely go far.

wisehandpoker 09-24-2007 04:09 AM

Did Leslie's speech after refusing to participate in the opening ceremonies piss anyone else off? For a Christian talk show host to not understand that worship routes from belief and not ritual had me weeping for her listeners. That said, I give her credit for making the beeline to James.

wisehandpoker 09-24-2007 04:14 AM

Oh, and I'm betting James will get knocked out with eight or nine left, just after the merge. He's too big a physical threat to keep around longer and lacks the social skills to convince people otherwise.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-24-2007 04:46 AM

how is this show banned over in China? it seems like they were trampling all over Chinese culture. next episode is probably going to be a dim sum eating contest.

evagaba 09-24-2007 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then this must be the first episode you have ever watched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I have seen every single episode after Season II. This one was boring and uneventful. My wife and I watched Kitchen Nightmares right after this and it was 100% better.

Regardless, I will watch the entire season.

zuluking 09-24-2007 11:03 AM

Re: Survivor China OFFICIAL THREAD *DELETED*

Post deleted by Nick B.

wisehandpoker 09-24-2007 12:15 PM

zulu, you may want to actually type the words "SPOILER IN WHITE" next time. Nothing is obvious without a spoiler warning when you've just woken up.

Not happy right now.

mike l. 09-24-2007 03:03 PM

"Did Leslie's speech after refusing to participate in the opening ceremonies piss anyone else off?"

no. im a christian and it looked like worship. bowing down in front of false idols is worship.

wisehandpoker 09-24-2007 04:17 PM

Mike, if you bow your head knowing full well that the inanimate object you're in front of has no meaning to you, how is that worship?

edit: I'm not asking to question your beliefs...genuine curiosity. Belief always struck me as being from the heart, not the ritual.

Wires 09-24-2007 04:25 PM

Oh, and I'm betting James will get knocked out with eight or nine left

Definitely. That's pretty common Survivor strategy - keep the horse to get you to the merge then cut them loose asap before they win 10 consecutive challenges and leave everyone in their dust (like Colby in season 2 who likely wins if he doesn't have a braincramp at the end). Unless Gravedigger develops some social skills and forms a tight alliance he doesn't stand much of a chance.

mike l. 09-24-2007 05:00 PM

it's bad form. youre right that faith is the most important thing, but it honors god to at least attempt to follow his laws. he says not to worship other gods, so i try not to do anything even close to that.

Suiteness 09-24-2007 05:02 PM

Buddha is not a god.

d10 09-25-2007 12:32 AM

I'm not religious but I can see how that would make someone who is uncomfortable. Actually I'd be a bit uncomfortable myself with it.

Soncy 09-25-2007 12:58 PM

Faith is from the heart and not ritual, but that doesn't mean that a Christian is going to be comfortable going into a Buddist Temple and bowing down next to statues of Buddah. Check out the definition of bow...

bow: a bending forward of the upper part of the body to show respect, greeting, consent, submission, or acknowledgment

The lady simply abstained from participating in something that made her uncomfortable and her actions are being called into question. She didn't verbally or physically harm anyone...which is often championed. I guess everyone has their own perspective.

mike l. 09-25-2007 01:11 PM

if she had been paying attention which she should have she would have noticed that they do quasi-religious (and sometimes outright religious) stuff like this at least a few times per season. as a christian she shouldve thought about how she would handle these situations beforehand. that she went as far as she did in this case was disgraceful. i wouldve politely refused to take part at all.

Nicholasp27 09-25-2007 02:19 PM

she's a christian radio show host who refused to complete this ceremony, but said she's 'not a religious person' to the camera

pokerbobo 09-25-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she's a christian radio show host who refused to complete this ceremony, but said she's 'not a religious person' to the camera

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that comment odd too.

mike l. 09-25-2007 04:35 PM

that's normal modern christian double speak. we say we're not religious meaning we dont like religious tradition like catholic type stuff. we're taught not to like religion for the sake of religion, going through the motions without faith or meaning. she shouldve realised that would just confuse most people, but i knew exactly what she was saying.

pegusus 09-27-2007 08:24 PM

lol at that challenge, survivor had to knew basically what that would turn into. Screw the challenge, I would have just spent the entire time "wrestling" ashley

Senor Cardgage 09-27-2007 08:25 PM

I haven't watched a season of Survivor in years, but I gotta admit, that challenge was pretty awesome. American Gladiators + mud + nudity is pretty hard to beat.

21times20 09-27-2007 08:29 PM

ashley is the one with the gross, female impersonator implants right? i enjoyed watching jean-robert grab her by the neck and throw her face first into the mud very much

4thstreetpete 09-27-2007 08:46 PM

What's with all the nice boobies this season? Tremendous.

Ashley is so gross, I can't believe she won the wwe diva contest. I actually love piercings on girls but the I've always hated the double lip pierce. It makes her look like a bulldog, very gross.

And what's with that crazy christian lady saying it's a sign from god that she got the first clue. LOL, if she only knew. Also giving out the clue to Todd was retarded.

MegaFossil 09-27-2007 10:10 PM

Jean-Robert's "strategy" of appearing lazy so he looks like he's going above and beyond later when he does actual work seems insanely idiotic. He'll almost certainly be one of the first two or three voted off when his tribe finally loses.

jstnrgrs 09-27-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's with all the nice boobies this season? Tremendous.

Ashley is so gross, I can't believe she won the wwe diva contest. I actually love piercings on girls but the I've always hated the double lip pierce. It makes her look like a bulldog, very gross.

And what's with that crazy christian lady saying it's a sign from god that she got the first clue. LOL, if she only knew. Also giving out the clue to Todd was retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the first rule of Christianity is don't trust gay people.

d10 09-28-2007 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jean-Robert's "strategy" of appearing lazy so he looks like he's going above and beyond later when he does actual work seems insanely idiotic. He'll almost certainly be one of the first two or three voted off when his tribe finally loses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so too, and what was with the talk about how that's similar to his tournament strategy? Does he intentionally suck in the early rounds or something? Either way, all the talk about "I am going to incorrectly apply this poker concept to a real life concept" is the kind of crap that we all hear too much, and hearing it on national TV makes me embarrassed to admit to playing.

d10 09-28-2007 12:32 AM

Also that vote sucked. I don't know if I'll have a reason to watch anymore. I think I will just to see how much more of a beast the gravedigger can be.