Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Important info about vBulletin (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523567)

kkcountry 10-16-2007 12:13 AM

Re: Important info about vBulletin

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One nice thing that even the mods haven't seen quite yet is that 2+2 will automatically switch to using a special lite skin on mobile devices, excluding the iPhone.

[/ QUOTE ]

yesssssssssssssss

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. The nokia s60v3 browser does a pretty decent job rendering, but the screen is small so there's still LOTS of scrolling. lite skin FTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

woooooooo 10k here i come on my mpx200 (w/ windows mobile 5 hax0rs)

Jeff_B 10-16-2007 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can someone tell me a forum that currently uses this software so i can testdrive it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chiptalk

Gutshot poker

Literotica I was there for testing purposes only. No, seriously, it's one of the largest volume sites for vBulletin out there. So you can really test the power of the search there since you are looking at a site larger than 2+2 in traffic and posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's OK to admit that you read Literotica.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] i do now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

pvn 10-16-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One nice thing that even the mods haven't seen quite yet is that 2+2 will automatically switch to using a special lite skin on mobile devices, excluding the iPhone.

[/ QUOTE ]

yesssssssssssssss

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. The nokia s60v3 browser does a pretty decent job rendering, but the screen is small so there's still LOTS of scrolling. lite skin FTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

woooooooo 10k here i come on my mpx200 (w/ windows mobile 5 hax0rs)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't even notice that was my 10k post.

Vavavoom 10-16-2007 03:02 AM

So if only the last 60 days worth of posts are making it through and our favourties aren't - is it okay to bump some of the better ones... ?

Vava?

Iq75 10-16-2007 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I have user #363

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter 10-16-2007 04:24 AM

Ryan

#1 for me plz.

fnord_too 10-16-2007 11:15 AM

Doesn't that software give users the ability to give +/- reputation to other users? If so, is that functionality going to be turned on?

holdme 10-16-2007 11:43 AM

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4067/penguincc4.png

pvn 10-16-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't that software give users the ability to give +/- reputation to other users? If so, is that functionality going to be turned on?

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be interesting for forums like Politics.

MicroBob 10-16-2007 01:27 PM

Screw that. I'm not switching unless there's wood-paneling.

holdme 10-16-2007 02:26 PM

i want that penguin incorporated into the wood paneling

Conspire 10-16-2007 02:38 PM

What is the pm limit/size gonna be?

billygrippo 10-16-2007 06:19 PM

um, i think i need a name change. "Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!" is hard to remember.

The Man Mulcahey 10-16-2007 07:16 PM

I posted in a sticky. Cool.

casey_brick 10-16-2007 07:23 PM

I noticed on all the vBulletin sites there is no sidebar. I like that feature of 2+2 a lot, will it remain?

tuq 10-16-2007 07:26 PM

The sidebar is definitely still there. It looks like the default font is a little smaller though, which is a good thing but can obviously be adjusted with CTRL + scroll if people prefer larger text.

Ryan Beal 10-16-2007 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and I actually do like their system for that. It's not like a regular 5 star rating. The idea of using something like that hasn't been all that popular in the past, but it could be something to try out a bit after the switch.

billygrippo 10-16-2007 08:22 PM

ryan,

i officially requested a name change, check your pms

MicroBob 10-16-2007 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Screw that. I'm not switching unless there's wood-paneling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've changed my mind. I might head over there even if there isn't wood-paneling...but ONLY if you bring back the Vehicle Chooser Forum.

Viva La Vehicle Chooser Forum!!

Ryan Beal 10-16-2007 08:44 PM

Update about PMs in the OP.

edfurlong 10-16-2007 09:07 PM

You should get rid of post count.

plz?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and I actually do like their system for that. It's not like a regular 5 star rating. The idea of using something like that hasn't been all that popular in the past, but it could be something to try out a bit after the switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god no.

Ryan Beal 10-16-2007 09:29 PM

Yeah that was my initial reaction too. But check out how many options they give for modifying the system:

Register Date Factor
The number of reputation points that a user is able to give or take is dependant on several factors, with the length they have been registered as one of them. A user's power is first initialized at 1 and then this factor and the factors that follow are used to increase it. For example if you set this to 365, every 365 days that the user has been a member of your forum, they would gain one point. So if they have been a member for five years, they would gain 5 points of power for a total of 6.

Post Count Factor
The amount of posts that a user has can also affect their reputation power. Set this to number of posts that you want to award one point for. For example, set this to 50 and for a user with 500 posts, they would gain 10 points of power.

Reputation Point Factor
The users current reputation score can also affect their reputation power. Set this to 100 and a user with a reputation of 1000 would gain 10 points of reputation power. If you set any of the power factors to 0, that will effectively remove that factor from having an effect on the user's reputation power.

Minimum Post Count
If the reputation system is enabled, anyone will be able to rate a post but only users with a post count above the level you set here will be able to actually give points or take points from another user.

Minimum Reputation Count
As with the post count above, a user must have a reputation above this level to be able to give or take points from another user's score.

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit
This sets how many unique members that a forum user will be able to rate in any 24 hour period. Administrators can rate as many people as they wish.

Reputation User Spread
This setting dictates how many unique members that a user must rate before they are able to rate the same member twice. The goal of this setting is to stop a member from either artificially bumping or dropping a user by repeatedly rating their posts.

-------------

When rep is enabled you don't rate a poster by saying he's a 2 out of 10. You rate a particular user by post and it gives you the option to 'approve' or 'disapprove'. The given score is then based on rep power as outlined above.

So it's pretty cool. I just don't know that it would be very popular regardless.

XXXNoahXXX 10-16-2007 09:40 PM

RB,

get CallMeIshmael on this one ASAP.

pvn 10-16-2007 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When rep is enabled you don't rate a poster by saying he's a 2 out of 10. You rate a particular user by post and it gives you the option to 'approve' or 'disapprove'. The given score is then based on rep power as outlined above.

So it's pretty cool. I just don't know that it would be very popular regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'm going to need a lot more gimmick accounts AMIRITE?

WhoIam 10-16-2007 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sidebar is definitely still there. It looks like the default font is a little smaller though, which is a good thing but can obviously be adjusted with CTRL + scroll if people prefer larger text.

[/ QUOTE ] This is awesome, I alaways just used CTRL +/-. Thank Tuq!

Anacardo 10-17-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ryan,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God.

stabn 10-17-2007 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ryan,

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha nice.

CallMeIshmael 10-17-2007 02:09 AM

RB,

are you open to any suggestions on how to weight all those variable?

also, is there any way to split the post count by forum?

MicroBob 10-17-2007 02:37 AM

I think the rating the posters thing is kind of dumb but maybe others will like it. I don't know.
I'm not a big fan of post-counts either but whatever.

edfurlong 10-17-2007 02:56 AM

I think the rating thing would be fine if there was some way to limit rateable posts to non off topic forums. If there was a way to make the ratings forum specific that would obviously be ideal, but I suspect that isn't possible.

WhoIam 10-17-2007 03:31 AM

Ratings would be fantastic in the strat forums but stupid everywhere else.

Slow Play Ray 10-17-2007 07:32 AM

Ryan, a question about the changeover:

Will the forum addresses still be in the 'forumserver.twoplustwo.com' format? Backdooring in is the only way I can get to the site from work; it would be a shame to lose that access, as I rarely check the site from home.

Thanks,
Ray

Suigin406 10-17-2007 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ratings would be fantastic in the strat forums but stupid everywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good idea, when i was lurking at these forums, i simply looked at the high post count users and basically just listended to their responses...while this isn't a bad idea, it's not how noobs should go about looking for strat help...there are several posters in the strat forums who are new, but give solid advice and it should be noted imo

Ryan Beal 10-17-2007 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are you open to any suggestions on how to weight all those variable?

also, is there any way to split the post count by forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes to the first and no to the second within the rep system. It couldn't really be designed to be forum specific. If someone wanted to give you +/- rep and couldn't do it for a post in one forum they'd just go to one elsewhere. There is this, though:

"count posts made in this forum towards user post counts?"

Anyway, there's also the option to give everyone the ability not to display their rep level. It shows up as 'user has disabled reputation'. Should note that only a general level is shown too.

example (small bars)
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245942

Conspire:
[ QUOTE ]
What is the pm limit/size gonna be?

[/ QUOTE ]

No plans to change that for now. We could review the limit soon after, though.

Slow Play Ray:
[ QUOTE ]
Will the forum addresses still be in the 'forumserver.twoplustwo.com' format?

[/ QUOTE ]

We've decided not to use a subdomain for the new forums. There are several reasons for that, but the biggest is that doing it the way it is now screws with the site's statistics. In certain spots we get counted as two sites.

RedRover:
[ QUOTE ]
infopop plz plz plz?

[/ QUOTE ]

Demand for infopop was anticipated. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

2/325Falcon
[ QUOTE ]
Will ignore lists survive the switch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

tuq 10-17-2007 12:56 PM

Ryan,

I hope I'm not alone when I say that a user rep system is really dumb, please to be not implementing. We can judge for ourselves whether a poster is teh suck or not; I've also noticed comments from others about how at the sites that use it it's only the crappy posters who seem to care about their rep. The good ones let their posts speak for themselves.

Ryan Beal 10-17-2007 01:03 PM

Really I don't have a preference either way. I just think the system is good. If you're going to have one, that's the way to do it. Mostly it would be beneficial for new posters if it worked as intended.

tuq 10-17-2007 01:10 PM

Ryan,

"Mostly it would be beneficial for new posters if it worked as intended."

My concern is, people get hung up on that rep stuff and poor noobs get even less attention than they already do. I feel that I posted better when I first posted here (I posted less too, probably not a coincidence) but because I was a noob I was pretty much ignored. Maybe I'm overthinking this and it helps noobs more than hurts but I'm not seeing it. I am for whatever helps quality noobs get noticed.

Our House 10-17-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am for whatever helps quality noobs get noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then go along with the rep system.

The users with the highest rep (usually quality, long standing posters) also have the most power in casting rep votes. If a quality noob gets reputation points from a regular, they count for more than if the reputation points came from another noob. The same thing goes for negative rep.

It's really a great system overall. On a smaller forum like mine (USgamers.net), it has the potential to be abused; segregating users, dividing the community, etc...and I haven't noticed that happen at all. On a (much) larger site like 2+2, sample size will work all the kinks out and the rep system will be fair for the most part.

Alternatively, (just like post count) you always have the option of ignoring rep points. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tuq 10-17-2007 01:46 PM

Our House,

Fair enough. I don't know much about the system so that is helpful. I thought it was some stupid popularity contest, but I should have known better if Ryan was in favor of it.

stabn 10-17-2007 02:19 PM

I think i speak for everyone important when i say rep systems sucks.