Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Poker Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bored now. Invent a novel poker variant. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=427864)

quirkasaurus 08-01-2007 11:24 AM

Re: Bored now. Invent a novel poker variant.

2 ideas:

Texas Hold'em variant:

3 hold cards

4 community cards dealt 2 at a time.
3 rounds of betting.
Best 5 card hand wins.

Add in the following hands:
4-in-a-row
4-to-a-flush
5-all-the-same-color

This way - - - all the women playing at our family poker
nights would actually make some hands.

Someone could run the numbers to figure out where these
new 3 hands fit in. I'm guessing somewhere between 1 pair
and 2 pair.

quirkasaurus 08-01-2007 12:42 PM

Oh, and another poker variant that was a lot of fun, 4 handed,
called "13".

The deck is dealt out, 13 cards each player.

You must created 3 hands, worst to best,
using 3 cards, 5 cards, and 5 cards.

If you mistakenly switch the order, the
out of order hands are voided and you lose your bets.

You must bet 1 2 and 3 chips ( blinds, whatever )
for your worst, second-best and best.

Extra betting may be done as follows:
1-5 extra chip bets on any hand,
but players' bets are treated as "all-in's";
in other words, if you bet 8 chips on your
best hand, i can leave my 3 bet out there,
and still win 3 chips if my hand is better.
Your 5 chip bet would be returned to you.

LearnedfromTV 08-09-2007 02:17 AM

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and invented five-card badugi with a five-suit deck.

And then I decided, what the hell, let's play everything with a five suit deck.

So that's like thirty new games. Enjoy!

2461Badugi 08-09-2007 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why stop at five? Eight's probably just as easy to do. At some point I will put together a Cripple Mr. Onion deck.

LearnedfromTV 08-09-2007 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why stop at five? Eight's probably just as easy to do. At some point I will put together a Cripple Mr. Onion deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, why not? At least for badugi, it's tough enough to get dealt pat with 5; it's ~54-1. Would be a lot of four-card hands mostly.

Eight would turn into a war between 5-7 card hands, which would be pretty cool too.

chopchoi 08-09-2007 04:24 PM

I like the idea of 7 card hands. You could have 3 pair, double trips, trips and 2 pair, quads full of trips, 6 and 7 card straights and flushes, pairs or trips with a straight or a flush, etc.

I wonder which is harder to make, trips and quads, or a 7 card straight flush? I guess the straight flush, but I'm not sure.

MarkGritter 08-09-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh... 8-card badugi, distinguishing between suits by the card back? That might put an interesting spin on things--- you couldn't represent a pat hand unless you had four red backs and four blue backs (or whatever.)

MarkGritter 08-17-2007 05:40 PM

Inspired by the recent question about 2-7 rankings... let's have a game which really does use the inverse of the normal 5-card ranks.

6-card "deuce to eight" lowball: Each player gets dealt 6 cards to start. Play proceeds as in triple draw lowball. At showdown, each player makes his best 5-card high hand. The lowest such hand wins the pot.

Examples:

234567 vs. AAKKQQ: The first hand makes a straight (34567) while the second is "just" aces-up (AAKKQ) so the second hand wins.

24569T vs. 223458: The first hand is a T-high (T9654) and beats a pair of deueces (22854).

A23458 vs. 234578: The first hand is an five-high straight and loses to the latter's 87543 (which is the nuts.)

This idea could be expanded to larger hands. In 10-card lowball ranked using "true inversion" like this,
2345789TQK (KQT98-high) with no flushes is the nuts.

With more cards, avoiding a flush probably becomes part of the drawing strategy. Keeping pairs to avoid a straight is probably necessary as well.

Phat Mack 08-18-2007 02:31 AM

This idea could be expanded to larger hands. In 10-card lowball ranked using "true inversion" like this,
2345789TQK (KQT98-high) with no flushes is the nuts.

With more cards, avoiding a flush probably becomes part of the drawing strategy. Keeping pairs to avoid a straight is probably necessary as well.

I like it--in fact, it may well be ingenious. This might have a future as a heads-up game. I'm putting it on my "to-do" list: TCTDSB.

JoeDimaggio 08-18-2007 03:20 AM

The best game ever. Limit "Macho". Dealt from 2 to 8 players with number of hole cards varying from 5-10. Played with two flops of 5 cards each exactly like hold em. Player with the best hand on each flop wins half the pot, if best on both scoop. One minute you can have the nuts and the next second be drawing dead.

HonestRyan 08-19-2007 06:45 AM

This is a creation of my own brain. The newest form of tournament poker to sweep the nation. HAWAIIAN HOLDEM!!! or Honest Ryan Holdem. It is made to be played in tournaments/SNGs and is played exactly like regular holdem except for one small rule change. Winner of the pot also wins the button. It will increase the importance of winning every hand, adds a big advantage to the aggr player, punishes the weak players, encourages allin steals and re-steals. and basically teaches good poker concepts.

scpi10 08-19-2007 12:27 PM

I liked Discard Draw. It's draw with one variation. That's where all cards mucked or discarded are shuffled and then dealt instead of using the deck. It's funny when you get the same 2 cards you discarded, especially when you're drunk.

LearnedfromTV 08-19-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a creation of my own brain. The newest form of tournament poker to sweep the nation. HAWAIIAN HOLDEM!!! or Honest Ryan Holdem. It is made to be played in tournaments/SNGs and is played exactly like regular holdem except for one small rule change. Winner of the pot also wins the button. It will increase the importance of winning every hand, adds a big advantage to the aggr player, punishes the weak players, encourages allin steals and re-steals. and basically teaches good poker concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like.

The person two to the left of the big stack is totally [censored] in any big time bubble situation.

Biggle10 08-19-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like this alot. Definitely would promote action.

LearnedfromTV 08-26-2007 12:39 AM

Split pot studugi.

Best four-card flush wins half the pot. If no one has a four flush, best three, etc. (Having five or more of a suit is irrelevant)

So nut-nut is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

2461Badugi 08-26-2007 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Split pot studugi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like.

LearnedfromTV 08-26-2007 06:09 AM

someone can check my math on this but i think the likelihood of making a four card hand each way is ~3.7%.

for a given suit: (13*12*11*10*13*12*11) card combinations * (7C4 = 35 ways to distribute the suit) * (6 ways to distribute the offsuit cards). That times four accounts for all suits, divide by (52*51*50*49*48*47*46).

But the vast majority of 7-card hands will make a four-card hand one way or the other. 3/2/2/0 and 3/3/1/0 are the only distributions that don't, plus a few of the 3/2/1/1 types that pair.

Trying to think about strategy - the three strongest hands on 5th street would probably be a good badugi with the suited card the same suit as your highest badugi card, a made flush with a low offsuit card, and a 3/1/1 hand with strong 3 card hands both ways. Rough badugis and [censored] flushes are probably ok as long as you make them early, but drawing to a rough tri or a [censored] 3-flush on 4th without much the other way would be bad unless really cheap.

Mediocre made one-way hands probably want to push when the rest of the players are drawing, both to charge people drawing for their side and to freeroll versus a draw for the other side (backing into a 3 card hand that scoops is more likely headsup). Really strong made hands might want to pull, especially on sixth with say a 2/2/1/1 distribution, once making a winning hand the other way is very unlikely. It seems a lot changes from fifth to sixth, a good one way hand on fifth needs to catch very well on sixth to have a scoop chance.

Aces are huge.

Might also be fun w/ a qualifier, where only four-card hands play.

iggymcfly 08-26-2007 09:25 AM

I think an Omaha/Stud combo could be fun as a limit game. It would be dealt with both blinds and antes and there would be an initial round of betting after everyone gets their Omaha hands. Then, 2 upcards would be dealt to each player followed by a round of betting, then another upcard to each player and another round of betting. Finally, the "river" would be dealt as a community card in the center of the table. 2 down cards and 3 up cards must be used just like in Omaha.

The good thing about only having 3 upcards plus the river is that hands like straights retain value since it will still be difficult to make big hands with only 4 upcards to choose from. Also, it allows for the game to be played 7-handed without any worries about running out of cards. Giving the first upcards two at a time also encourages draws. I think for simplicity's sake, the best name for this game would be 8-card stud.

As an alternate rule, after the river, the betting could become pot limit instead of limit. That way, you have lots of rounds to gather information and lots of people trying to follow their draws cheap, but you still have to face big decisions trying to use that information. However, this might make it too easy for people to fold on paired boards as the game became all about nut-peddling big full houses. It would probably have better long-term action as a simple limit game.

RubbishCards 08-26-2007 06:21 PM

I'd like to play a version of razz where the hand rankings are changed so that the nuts is quads, followed by a full house, followed by standard razz hand rankings. Quad/boats are ranked highest = best and aces are still low, so the nuts is KKKK. This would encourage people to chase when they are paired and IMO would be a lot less agonizing to play (except when your wheel is cracked by runner runner quads obv).

2461Badugi 08-26-2007 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to play a version of razz where the hand rankings are changed so that the nuts is quads, followed by a full house, followed by standard razz hand rankings.

[/ QUOTE ]

A wheel should still beat a boat I think. Maybe any six should beat a boat. Otherwise rolled-up hands become way too powerful.

quirkasaurus 09-05-2007 01:04 PM

i like the extra suits idea. borrow the glyphs from lucky
charms cereal? :-) moons, stars, horseshoes, and balloons.

spike420211 09-05-2007 01:48 PM

3-card guts poker with a SB a BB, and moving dealer button. You could play this FL,PL, or NL.
Or even make it hi/lo split [A23 low] in the spirit of the OP.

SellingtheDrama 09-06-2007 01:04 PM

Here's one I had suggested to me:

3 handed Chinese poker, with one suit removed from the deck. This was actually suggested by a friend when we were playing 3 handed Chinese (full deck).

Obviously the rules are fairly straightforward (ie the same). More interested in the strategic implications.

MarkGritter 09-06-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one I had suggested to me:

3 handed Chinese poker, with one suit removed from the deck. This was actually suggested by a friend when we were playing 3 handed Chinese (full deck).

Obviously the rules are fairly straightforward (ie the same). More interested in the strategic implications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it would make it impossible not to have a flush.

How about 8-handed chinese poker with a double deck? (Either duplicate cards or the 8-suited deck discussed above.)

daveT 09-09-2007 02:31 AM

Re: Bhowani Junction

Called "No Look Omaha"

Every one is dealt four cards face-down.

Every one antes.

On the flop, everyone flips up one card. Mayhem ensues.

On the turn, everyone flips up the second card. Repeat betting.

One the river, everyone flips up one card and can now peak at his or her own card. Betting. The best hand wins.

"No Look Hold'em"

Every one is dealt two cards.

On the flop, every one flips up one card, mayhem ensues

On the turn, every one flips up the second card.

On the river, all remaining players are dealt one last card that they are allowed to look at.

I think that this game would have tons more strategy in it.

Think of it. If the board is all spades and you don't see the Ace out there, you can deliver a real beat on someone by drawing.

LearnedfromTV 10-05-2007 09:08 PM

bump because this thread should always be on the front (err, only) page and because I had a couple ok ideas.

1. The thing that sucks about draw high, imo, is that there are only two betting rounds. So let's play it with three draws (two could work also).

2. A three-pot version of split pot games. The first one I thought of was something that would give middle cards value in omaha 8: three pots; best high hand, best low hand (8 qualifier), best high hand excluding broadway cards (also a qualifier but would almost always be in play - board needs three cards from A, 2-T). Would change considerably the kind of hands with scoop potential.

MarkGritter 10-06-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. The thing that sucks about draw high, imo, is that there are only two betting rounds. So let's play it with three draws (two could work also).

[/ QUOTE ]

Triple draw for high has been discussed on the board before. One could also put in a second draw or at least an extra card via home-game mechanisms such as matching the pot (but everyone knows that's a sucker bet, right?...)

How about betting on partial hands or draws? If you really wanted to play four rounds of betting with 5-card draw you could do:

1. Get first three cards, round of betting.
2. Get remaining two cards, round of betting.
3. Announce draws and get all but last card. (Somebody drawing 1 gets no cards, if drawing three you get two cards, etc.) Round of betting.
4. Receive final card, round of betting and showdown.

Gonso 10-19-2007 05:05 AM

5-suit poker is the bomb

Plays basically the same, except flushes actually outrank boats. I have a 5-color, 5-suited classic style deck on the way but there are a couple crappy 5-suited decks out, and you can always make one pretty easy

Nichlemn 10-20-2007 07:58 AM

"Democratic Poker"

Odd number of players necessary. 5 seems a good number due to that being the number of rounds.

Each player is dealt two hole cards (or however many, could be Omaha style hands if you wanted). There is no betting, perhaps an ante could be taken at the start. Two cards are revealed from the deck, and starting from the first player to act for that round, votes are taken for which card is to be the next community card. Rotating one player to start the voting for the next card, another two cards are revealed and voted for. Continue until five community cards are selected. Hands go to showdown and the best high hand wins.

It seems there could be quite a bit of strategy firstly with voting strategically to deny other hands based on previous voting habits, and secondly by implicit collusion (which could be encouraged) by having players without a hope of winning the pot voting to help someone else's hand in the hope that they may recognise this and do the same for you in a latter hand.

Another possibility is having two winners, particularly for larger numbers of players, which could lead to more intricate decisions such as implicit collusion occuring in the space of a single hand.

electrical 10-21-2007 01:51 AM

Re: five suit poker, I had an idea.

If one card of each rank has a dot added to its pips, then there are five suits, [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and "dot." The dots should be evenly divided among the four "natural" suits by dotting A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and so on. Note that clubs will have four dotted cards while the other suits will have three, not that it matters that much.

This allows for five different flush and straight-flush suits, and the possibility of drawing to eighteen outs with a four flush in clubs.

This obviously devalues flushes and straight-flushes, but it doesn't change straights, pairs or other rank-defined hands.

Would it devalue straight flushes so much that Quads should out-rank them?

Phat Mack 10-21-2007 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Democratic Poker"

Odd number of players necessary. 5 seems a good number due to that being the number of rounds.

Each player is dealt two hole cards (or however many, could be Omaha style hands if you wanted). There is no betting, perhaps an ante could be taken at the start. Two cards are revealed from the deck, and starting from the first player to act for that round, votes are taken for which card is to be the next community card. Rotating one player to start the voting for the next card, another two cards are revealed and voted for. Continue until five community cards are selected. Hands go to showdown and the best high hand wins.

It seems there could be quite a bit of strategy firstly with voting strategically to deny other hands based on previous voting habits, and secondly by implicit collusion (which could be encouraged) by having players without a hope of winning the pot voting to help someone else's hand in the hope that they may recognise this and do the same for you in a latter hand.

Another possibility is having two winners, particularly for larger numbers of players, which could lead to more intricate decisions such as implicit collusion occuring in the space of a single hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think this game has potential. It might even affect starting hand selection if voting patterns could be identified, allowing the play of non-standard hands.

It might be useful to come up with a mechanism for allowing an even number of players; say, not allowing the button to vote, or only allowing the button to vote in case of a tie. (Call the button the Vice President. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

An interesting variant might be to expose some of the player's cards, e.g. one card in hold 'em or two in omaha. Or even play it "Indian" style.

Biggle10 10-21-2007 01:21 PM

Agreed. I like the idea of the button not voting. Also, does everyone still vote even if they fold at some point?

Nichlemn 10-21-2007 06:20 PM

Well, currently it doesn't have any betting other than say an ante at the beginning, though perhaps there could be a single betting round after all cards are voted for. The logic being that everyone needs to be voting to improve their hand (or at least to hopefully get a favour later) so having players not in the hand voting is bad, as is having a heads up pot. No folds ensures you have the 5, 7 or 9 votes the game was meant to have. The basic strategy has simply shifted from betting to voting.

Salmon 10-22-2007 03:12 PM

I think any decent poker variant has to have a skill element BUT a large enough volatility that the fish return.

Here is my variant.

It's draw poker for high. One draw. Two blinds. Four betting rounds.

First betting round is pre-draw.
Second betting round is post-draw.
Third betting round is after every player simultaneously reveals two cards from their hand.
Fourth betting round is after every player simultaneously reveals one card from their hand.

Show-down, each player reveals their remaining two "hole cards".

Betting is 1/1/2/2 as in Hold 'Em.

I suppose you could play this Pot-Limit and/or as a lowball game as well.

Salmon 10-22-2007 03:17 PM

I call this variant "Flip Flop Hold 'Em".

It plays like Hold 'Em EXCEPT.

You deal out two flops.

After the post-flop betting round, you flip a coin to see which flop is "good" and which is discarded.

Buahahahahaha...

Salmon 10-22-2007 03:21 PM

Okay - draw poker for high, two blinds.

One betting round.
Draw cards.
Second betting round.
Show-down and the best hand wins HALF the pot.
Players keep their hands and then draw cards again.
Players then play their cards like a trick-taking game - a card is dealt off the top of the deck to declare trump. The player who won the first half of the pot leads to the first trick. The player who wins the most tricks wins the second half of the pot.

Phat Mack 10-30-2007 03:38 AM

Here's an interesting omaha variant posted on another list by long-ago Other Games poster "occupant."

Scooter: Players are dealt four cards; either before or after the flop, players discard as many cards from their hands as they wish, but at showdown they must use all the cards they kept.

DanielM 10-31-2007 01:16 AM

Burlesque Poker

My name is Daniel Moskal. I'm an inventor and an amateur poker player. I had an idea for a new poker game that you might find a fun change of pace. Please let me know what you think.

I tried to balance having enough luck to keep the weak player’s in, and enough skill for serious players to make decent money over time. Also, I wanted to balance the information available to the players with the hidden information. I’ve also tried to force situations where the player must make tough choices.

The rules are simple.

There is a small blind of ½ a small bet and a big blind of 1 small bet, as usual. Antes optional. The button acts last before the flop, but position after the flop is determined by a means explained below.

Each player is dealt 3 cards face down. They use 1 or 2 cards from their hand with the 5 community cards to make the best 5 card hand. You may not play the board.
Every player who has a live hand after the pre-flop betting is complete chooses one card, and sets it aside. All players turn up that cards simultaniously. Whomever has the highest card showing has position for the next betting round (ties broken by the usual spade, heart, diamond, club order). I think it works better if everyone turns their card up simultaneously, because if the cards are revealed one at a time it would provide too large of an advantage to the player showing last. (All rules are flexible, of coarse).
If playing Low, or Burlesque8 (Hi-Lo), the low card has position.

Post flop dealing and betting rounds are just like Hold-Em / Omaha. If the high card folds, the highest live card remaining gets position during the next betting round.

A few thoughts:

*Forcing the players to choose an up-card is a tough choice, and reveals much about their play- even when they fold. If playing multi-games, it can reveal something about how they play those games.
*Giving the high card position in later rounds creates a conflict of interest. You want to hide your best cards, but you want position too.
*Because the blinds won’t necessarily have bad position in later rounds, it gives them reason to defend.
*Players can buy position by forcing the high card out.
*You can't hide a dealt pair every time, sometimes you must split them. Otherwise observant players will know that if you pair your up card, you don't have trips.
*You can't say "My hand pre-flop is a XX% favorite against a hand with X upcard, because the upcard wasn't a random choice.
*A four-flush or four-straight on the board is dangerous.
*In Burlesque8, fewer low hands are made, so more scooping. A strong starting high hand has more value.

Let me know what you think, and happy playing.

Daniel Moskal

PS: I call it Burlesque Poker because you tease the players by only showing a little bit (when you turn the card face up).

Nichlemn 11-02-2007 07:48 PM

Re: Burlesque Poker

Potripper Hold'em:

(Online only)

Every hole card has a (25%?) probability of, unknown to that player, being revealed to all other players.

Ben Young 11-05-2007 02:45 PM

Re: 13-card Nim Poker

"7-card draft"

this was actually invented by some of my dad's friends, and is kind of like roll your own pass the trash or something.

the idea is for it to be a draft like M:TG

Rules:

Each player is dealt 7 cards face down and they pick one, put it face down, and pass the remaining 6 cards to your left(or right, up to the people playing or the dealer or whatever). You continue passing in the same direction, taking one each time. You MAY NOT look at your already picked cards that are down, until you are finished drafting all 7 cards.

Betting part rules:
a)my variation:
Split-pot lo 8 or better(A-5 rules like stud8) betting: half-pot limit
take your seven cards and put them in any order you wish, then when everyone has done this, everyone turns up their top card and the low card brings it in, next round whoever is left does this again, but from now on high showing hand is first to act, do this again and again... until the 7th card if players are still in, when there will obviously be no betting(on the 7th card).

b) my dad's friend's variation
instead of rolling your own with 7, you do it with 5, but you still draft 7.

c)my dad's variation
9lo qualifier instead of 8 lo, the rest is like b)