Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Leggo Poker avatars (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543970)

Tickner 11-15-2007 11:58 PM

Re: Leggo Poker avatars

ok cool, thats fine.

*TT* 11-16-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see any ground for moving it. I mean is it standard for mods to take action like this whenever the notify mod button is hit? Frankly it's not a big deal to me but I just feel whenever mods hear anything regarding LeggoPoker they take action where threads like "Should I buy a cardrunners.com account?" And "Who is the best 3bet coaches?" are no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

[iron]tickner - there have been questions about cardrunner and 3bet in the past as well - this isnt specific to your company. Nobody is singling you out - your just taking center stage right now because the spotlight has been shined on Leggo. We didn't chose the shine the spotlight, the spotlight was part of your company's PR strategy so you have to accept the bad that goes along with the good of that spotlight shining.

Its the individual mods decision in each forum as to what the decorum is (with some group help of course), thats the way Mat & Mason designed the forum - they want it to be as hands off as possible provided the moderator has the best interest of the community in mind. One of the ways a moderator maintains this balance for the community is through user complaints. PMs and notify mod buttons are the private way that occurs when they dont want to post in public. So if a user was offended - and you have to admit its reasonable for a user to be offended - then it's jmans job to make a decision that will be good for the community and determine if its just one user who complained or if many others feel the same way - and then act accordingly for the best of the community.

At the same time you have to admit your getting free promotion, its not good to look a gift horse in the face because sometimes the horse can bite back! Just roll with the small punches, don't sweat the small stuff and your business will do just fine. Its good advice from an old guy (not really old - just feeling it this week) like me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [/iron]

Tickner 11-16-2007 12:10 AM

Yup, I said it was cool.

*TT* 11-16-2007 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, I said it was cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

my timing sucked, I was typing all that Ironish crap while you two resolved everything. blame the tequila.

Tickner 11-16-2007 12:32 AM

*blames tequila*

Tickner 11-16-2007 01:03 PM

SO mods, what is the official ruling on the thread?

Mike Haven 11-16-2007 02:29 PM

I've moved it back to NVG.

Lottery Larry 11-17-2007 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i banned him. almost all his posts are designed to promote his site and they link there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat, I didn't remember his linkage to be that egregious, but I didn't pay that much attention to them when I was one of the great unwashed.

Since I now DO have to pay more attention, I thought I'd ask more about this ban. Did he refuse to make any changes, or was this a judgement based on his posts?

He did link to his site frequently, but when I surveyed his last few months of posts, he didn't make a huge number of references to his site as a pimped-for service.

Also, I wasn't aware that he'd added a "premium" hosting service for a fee. He'd always promoted it as a free resource for home poker players to utilize.

I took a quick gander and the main page seemed to promote the free services, rather than pushing the premium poker league services. I didn't dig into it too deeply yet.

Did I miss something? stevea wasn't a bad poster imo, and did contribute to Home Poker on a semi-regular basis. I'd like to know more about this, if possible, to get a handle on the reasoning (for my edification and future standards-setting).

Mat Sklansky 11-17-2007 08:33 PM

My initial random analysis of his posts led me to conclude that he posted with the sole intent of linking to his site.

If he is actually contributing, then my analysis is incorrect. I'd like to see some examples if I'm wrong.

Lottery Larry 11-17-2007 09:19 PM

Has stevea responded back at all? Can he, if he's banned?

If he doesn't care, then no effort is needed. If we need the research done, I can do it. Maybe I'll just do it anyway... regardless of what is decided about his fate.

Lottery Larry 11-17-2007 10:16 PM

stevea stats, quick review

Mat

I sent him a message, asking if he cares about remaining banned or not. If he doesn't respond this week, the new software will take care of that alias regardless.

Here's some quick stats-

LAST 2 MONTHS:

Total posts: 19

Gratutious link: 0

Semi-gratutious promo of his free tourney league website: 5

Non-important or off-topic reply: 1

On topic reply, not valuable: 9

Semi-valuable reply or better: 9

He made several posts linking to a picture of his chips, but they all fell within a relevant thread..... and chip-brags are a common, indeed welcome, attribute of Home Poker. None of the chip picture URLs show any links to his site at all, just the chip pictures.

I sent him a message, asking if he cares about remaining banned or not. If he doesn't respond this week, the new software will take care of that alias regardless.

4-2 MONTHS ago

Total posts: 11

Gratutious link: 2

Semi-gratutious promo of his free tourney league website: 1

Non-important or off-topic reply:

On topic reply, not valuable: 7

Semi-valuable reply or better: 4

12-4 MONTHS ago

Total posts: 30 (checked most recent 6)

Gratutious link/post: 3

Semi-gratutious promo of his free tourney league website: 2

Maybe he was getting bad, after all. I didn't pay much attention to his links, because I didn't use his site. I know a number of HP posters did use it, presumably for free....

I'll have more to question about the general idea here, in a separate post.

tuq 11-17-2007 10:28 PM

Re: stevea stats, quick review

LL,

I dunno, the fact that most of his posts pointed back to his site and didn't seem to contain too much other content just struck me as disingenuous. It would be one thing if it wasn't a conflict of interest and he had like 13K posts and once a month linked to his site, but even then I'm not sure. He strikes me as the type that is doing the same thing at P5s and elsewhere. Even if he had 13K posts and 98% of them didn't point back to his site, is that even acceptable?

I don't read HP nearly as much as you do to know whether links like that are fine in that forum. However, I did think it needed to be looked at, and Mat decided it was over the line. Perhaps the guy can just be reined in by your gentle touch and considerable pull within the Home Poker communitah?

citanul 11-26-2007 09:57 PM

i think that this thread while nice and yay and all that and aejones is a good player yadda yadda is pretty obviously a no go. i would prefer if someone else handled it though. also, if this is decided to be a no go, i'd prefer if someone would let the leggo people know that it's a no go, and give them some form of verbal slap on the wrist at a minimum. perhaps say, oh i don't know, that continued outright spam will result in the removal of all leggo poker avatars, which are at the moment free advertising.

*TT* 11-26-2007 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
result in the removal of all leggo poker avatars, which are at the moment free advertising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was the decision already, that Tickner would be given some leeway but the rest had to go?

Jurollo 11-26-2007 10:04 PM

wait i should be removing all the LP avatars? there is a lot of them in the group of mttc posters

citanul 11-26-2007 10:04 PM

if that decision has been made already, it apparently at least hasn't gotten to everyone's favorite MTTC troll.

*TT* 11-26-2007 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait i should be removing all the LP avatars? there is a lot of them in the group of mttc posters

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=0#Post13094095

personally i think tickner/greg should be asked to have their army disarm rather than us do the dirtywork, i think thats a fair tradeoff in exchange for letting Tickner keep his logo.

citanul 11-27-2007 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that this thread while nice and yay and all that and aejones is a good player yadda yadda is pretty obviously a no go. i would prefer if someone else handled it though. also, if this is decided to be a no go, i'd prefer if someone would let the leggo people know that it's a no go, and give them some form of verbal slap on the wrist at a minimum. perhaps say, oh i don't know, that continued outright spam will result in the removal of all leggo poker avatars, which are at the moment free advertising.

[/ QUOTE ]

thoughts people?

also, thoughts on the LP avatars, as per TT's posts?

like i said, i think that aejones thread is clearly no good, but i'd really prefer not to be the person handling it.

Chump Change 11-27-2007 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thoughts people?

also, thoughts on the LP avatars, as per TT's posts?

like i said, i think that aejones thread is clearly no good, but i'd really prefer not to be the person handling it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, yeah you beat me to the punch with linking this one. He didn't even try to toss in the link in an offhand manner towards the end, just BAM opened with it.

I actually signed up for leggo poker and plan to support them in the sense of watching the videos, (hint hint 2p2) but this blatant spamming is absurd and insulting.

Not to me personally of course but i'm seeing an abundance of people that owe their lives to 2p2 subsequently spitting in 2p2's face. I don't like it one bit.

Gildwulf 11-28-2007 10:46 AM

I just got a pm
[ QUOTE ]

I got reamed by another mod, when I had a URL in my Avatar Image, and Loc.

I just saw someone else doing the same thing:

OMGuraBOT

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5597/avatarrg9.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is out of control, we need to take a hardline against this as it is unfair to our current advertisers.

VoraciousReader 11-28-2007 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of Leggo, I just noticed that MYNAMEIZGREG's custom title is "Leggo Co-Owner". Now that crosses the line IMHO both because it means a mod is helping a company advertise and the mod didn't take accountability for his or her actions in the user notes.
link

anyone care to take ownership of this oversight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't give this title, and haven't ever given a poker site owner a title reflecting that, but really, I thought that doing that kind of thing was standard.

Not to give free advertising, but to advise our userbase that they are speaking/can speak on behalf of their companies.

durron597 11-28-2007 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is out of control, we need to take a hardline against this as it is unfair to our current advertisers.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

Please see the ATF thread on this issue. pvn and TheMetetron are making us look like fools for removing the word "Coaching" from Locs but let the LeggoPoker avatars stay up.

Gildwulf 11-28-2007 11:29 AM

yea this picture pretty much sums up why we need to remove the leggo avatars:

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/1098/coachnd5.gif

my suggestion is mike haven says in the thread 'this is something we are discussing currently in the mod forum and will have an answer shortly' and just lock the thread until we resolve this to prevent 2p2 from looking anymore ridiculous

Mat Sklansky 11-28-2007 12:29 PM

I'm sold. I say proceed with stripping. Sorry Tickner.

ama0330 11-28-2007 02:00 PM

I agree with strip/delete on sight and I can't see any reason why this would be in any way unfair or unnaceptable

iron81 11-28-2007 02:16 PM

The thing with deleting on sight is that the user often doesn't know what happened and puts the avatar back up. Usually when I want to ditch an avatar I'll ask the user to do it.

*TT* 11-28-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing with deleting on sight is that the user often doesn't know what happened and puts the avatar back up. Usually when I want to ditch an avatar I'll ask the user to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. You should tell the user via PM and leave a mod note. Asking is an unnecessary step if the avatar has to be removed.

MrWookie 11-28-2007 02:27 PM

I typically ask the users to consider removing their avatar in marginal cases and remove it myself for flagrant violations. The LP avatars have been decreed from on high to no longer be marginal cases, so I'd just remove them, leave a mod note, and PM the user.