Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Should I go Pro? #132890213 (long) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=93240)

galahad_187 04-21-2006 11:54 AM

Re: Should I go Pro? #132890213 (long)

whats your major grim?

i'm not nearily as good as you are and i dropped college b/c i had no career path. If your current major would more than likily bring you a high(er) paying job i'd strongly encourage finishing. If tommorow i found something i wanted to do with my life that would pay more than 35k a year and i felt that i could mentally do the schooling (i suck at learning) then i'd be back in school next semester.

Black winter day 04-21-2006 12:42 PM

This is offtopic, but how can you play at 9 tables of NL1000???
How do you have the time to make decisions??

Beastmaster 04-21-2006 01:21 PM

Do you worry at all about the stability of online poker?
With all the legislation in recent years it at least has to cross your mind.....hope the ban never happens or eventually it's regulated, but before becoming an online Pro I'd at least consider it.

schwerd2 04-21-2006 05:46 PM

finish college man. Take 12 credits each semester and play 20+ hours a week. May take you 5 years to graduate but during this time you will be making tons of loot.

Lucky 04-21-2006 06:02 PM

I would probably say wait a year. Also, you need to start pulling out a fixed amount of money from your roll each month for living expenses/investments.

Others will tell you, keep building your roll. But if you embark onthis as a career, you need to pay yourself a salary. You may have to move up slower, but thats not a bad thing.

I dont know, i just think all of these people running around with decent rolls who've never cashed out a cent are ridiculous. They run hot, post about it, lose it, run hot again. The only thing that matters is how much money has gone from neteller to you checking account and never back to neteller. Do that for awhile and you're good to go.

3 minute hero 04-21-2006 06:37 PM

I think you know the answer to your own question, finish college. You have a lifetime ahead of you to decide what you what to do. Finishing college gives you more options and is, obviously, +EV (poker analogy), you know it makes sense.
You have plenty of time for poker - on-line pro/pro or second income. At your age you should be enjoying yourself!!

TheIrishThug 04-21-2006 07:10 PM

Northeastern is a great school stick with it. I'm on coop right now and let me tell you, you'll have plenty of time to play since u have no homework. Tough it doesn't sound like homework is holding you back. Like everyone else is saying, even with school work you can still get in a good bunch of hands.

pm me if u want my sn.

ckmo 04-21-2006 09:07 PM

stick with college, go to parties, have fun. It will most likely be the best time of your life if you stick with it. If you don't, somewhere down the line you will regret it. You might not believe it now, but I'd put money on it.

Blowup Doll 04-21-2006 09:13 PM

If you're making so much playing poker, then the scholarship is really not an issue. I would recommend sticking it out and finishing up school just to get that degree, but if you can already make $50k or more a year, then you won't be hurting too much by leaving school for awhile. You can always go back. Or you can take one class per semester to just stay fresh and finish more slowly.

tongni 04-22-2006 01:21 AM

Drop out. The people who said "stay in school" are pencil-pushing pocket protector wearing vags. I dropped out during my junior year, however, I think I would wait one more semester if I were you just to be sure of your continued longevity. I wouldn't feel comfortable with 50k.

The life is a lot of fun though, I've been to Vegas, LA, Bahamas for PCA and on PP million this year and just barely 20. It's the opportunity of a lifetime, and people say poker will always be there when you graduate, well, college will always be there when you go broke.