Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   why play limit? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=73720)

daryn 03-29-2006 01:05 PM

Re: why play limit?

[ QUOTE ]
You actually get to play every street, as you can't use the weak move of an all-in to get to a showdown without making anymore decisions.

This is a typical high stakes NL game: Each player has about 100bb. AJs raises, KK re-raises, AJs calls. About 20bb in the pot when the flop comes. AJs checks his flush draw, KK bets about pot, AJs check-raises pot all-in, KK calls.

This is game over on the flop. No more poker decisions to be made. The turn and river are just there to entertain the fish. In a limit game each opponent will normally have to make some more tuff decisions on the turn and river.

The current popular NL game is for weak players that can't play real poker, where decisions have to be made on every street. It is too easy to get your stack in and sit back and relax. Real men play limit.

NL would be a lot better, and maybe superior to limit, if they changed a few things. They should have no max buy-in, and have at least a 1000bb min buy-in. This would be a game worth playing. But no one likes these because you can't go all-in. "Going all-in is fun", "Going all-in makes you feel like a big man". The all-in has been popularized by the broadcasting of tournaments, where short stakes are necessary to finish these on time.

Now don't get me started on NL tournaments.

Trent.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, nice analysis!

Dan BRIGHT 03-29-2006 01:07 PM

ya lets not cap nl buy ins that way the fish go busto and quit poker within 1 hour.....

Hielko 03-29-2006 01:12 PM

What's wrong with fish giving all their money to you in one hour?

costanza_g 03-29-2006 01:17 PM

Maybe if they added some feature in NL where you couldnt bet more than what was already in the pot. That way you could have the best of both worlds. I'm going to invent this new game and call it:

No all-in hold'em.

I'm going to get a patent for this game and become rich, batches!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

SoBeDude 03-29-2006 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You actually get to play every street, as you can't use the weak move of an all-in to get to a showdown without making anymore decisions.

This is a typical high stakes NL game: Each player has about 100bb. AJs raises, KK re-raises, AJs calls. About 20bb in the pot when the flop comes. AJs checks his flush draw, KK bets about pot, AJs check-raises pot all-in, KK calls.

This is game over on the flop. No more poker decisions to be made. The turn and river are just there to entertain the fish. In a limit game each opponent will normally have to make some more tuff decisions on the turn and river.

The current popular NL game is for weak players that can't play real poker, where decisions have to be made on every street. It is too easy to get your stack in and sit back and relax. Real men play limit.

NL would be a lot better, and maybe superior to limit, if they changed a few things. They should have no max buy-in, and have at least a 1000bb min buy-in. This would be a game worth playing. But no one likes these because you can't go all-in. "Going all-in is fun", "Going all-in makes you feel like a big man". The all-in has been popularized by the broadcasting of tournaments, where short stakes are necessary to finish these on time.

Now don't get me started on NL tournaments.

Trent.

[/ QUOTE ]

stick all that in a pot, boil it down to its essence and u get...

Real men play limit.

I think I just found my new signature!

-Scott

JimmyB13 03-29-2006 03:16 PM

Uhhhh....excuse my newbness, but isn't your idea for a game called Pot Limit Hold 'Em.

poker1O1 03-29-2006 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhhh....excuse my newbness, but isn't your idea for a game called Pot Limit Hold 'Em.

[/ QUOTE ]
no because you can still get bet out of a bet, or bet someone else out of a pot

Dan BRIGHT 03-29-2006 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with fish giving all their money to you in one hour?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont you understand? If a fish realizes he is terrible within one week and says "im done with poker thas 5000 dollars gone, oh well", then hes through with it. However, if he bleeds and donks off 600 dollar buy ins for a few months (not all at once) he likely wont realize how bad he sucks until he's already lost way more than 5000.

costanza_g 03-29-2006 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, that was the jopke.

Dan BRIGHT 03-29-2006 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, that was the jopke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I CANT STAND YA