Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   LCD TV's or Plasma for gaming. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549251)

Nicholasp27 11-19-2007 11:08 AM

Re: LCD TV\'s or Plasma for gaming.

go to a store and look at both urself

i can't stand lcds for tv/gaming personally...the edges of people look all messed up...it just doesn't look like a clean image

mileage may vary, tho

plasmas aren't burning in these days and last at least 60,000 hours until losing half the brightness = >20 years of 8 hours/day being on

plasmas have better colors, deeper blacks and no ghosting and just look better

lcds come in a bigger variety of sizes and are lighter/thinner/brighter and u can get into one cheaper

but again, go compare the two urself; u may be like me, and notice that text/edges of boxes/shapes and edges of people look bad and are distracting and it just doesn't look like clean high-def to u...or u may be like others who think it looks great

(btw, i do like lcd for web browsing/computer work)

supermangina 11-19-2007 11:45 AM

Both are good imo. Playing 360 games in HD is incredible, compared to a normal tv.

dibbs 11-19-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you intend on putting the TV in a room where you can't control ambient light, get an LCD, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree with this. The burn in issues seem to have been addressed on all modern models.

I've messed around with lots of TVs but I'm most experienced with DLPs so I would probably look online to see which gamers prefer, I think this a better option than "go to the store and look" because A.) Stores tweak settings and inputs like crazy on floor models and B.) Stores pretty much never compare these mediums gaming vs. gaming side by side.

One plus for LCDS I would like to add is you can use them as a PC monitor, which is awesome IMO, I've used my 56" 1080 as a monitor hooked up to the stereo and I just can't imagine web surfing any other way at this point.

wonderwes 11-19-2007 07:25 PM

buy a Sony Bravia. I have been very impressed with that line of HDTVs

4 High 11-19-2007 09:32 PM

Sears has a Hitatchi 42" Plasma on sale for like 600 Bucks after some deals. However i think its only 1080i/720p as all it says is 1080 HD. Is this still good enough to get? If it helps, it gets pretty good reviews.

ThaSaltCracka 11-20-2007 12:31 AM

Guys, any issues with DLP TV's?

4 High 11-20-2007 12:38 AM

DLP's are like the ugly stepchild of next gen TV's.

Dire 11-20-2007 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except they look beautiful, cost a fraction of LCD/plasma, have no dead pixel issues, no burn issues, no delay issues, etc.. Biggest downside to them is the view angles. They don't look nice when viewed at sharp horizontal or vertical angles.

4 High 11-20-2007 12:51 AM

To me that is a big enough issue to disqualify them. I've seen plenty of good cheap LCD and Plasma's to never even have to think about a DLP.

Besides The issues you listed have mostly been resolved by most current TV's.

ThaSaltCracka 11-20-2007 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Are you talking about brand new, dope ass TV's? Because my impression of DLP's is basically what Dire said.