Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Executing Child Rapists (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547693)

bbbaddd 11-16-2007 04:39 PM

Re: Executing Child Rapists

The motivation to prey on a helpless individual for the sake of your own sadistic enjoyment is sickening. I'd feel not an ounce of pity for a child rapist meeting a gruesome and agonizing demise, even if they were mentally handicapped.

That said, I am against a state sponsored execution policy. The probability of being innocent and proven guilty is too high in the current justice system to consider killing some of the people that it convicts.

vhawk01 11-16-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe in the death penalty even for terrible, atrocious crimes. I once went to a presentation on the death penalty involving a couple whose child was murdered and a single father whose child was murdered. The couple was in favor of the death penalty, but their daughter was very much against it, so they asked that the killer not be given the death penalty, but I think their plea fell on deaf ears. The single father was I believe always against the death penalty, and he didn't even want it to be used on the murderer of his teenage son. In fact, this man had the courage to meet his son's killer, and he now believes the killer has truly repented. It was a very powerful presentation. Anyway I'm pretty sure I won't convince anyone here to change their mind, but I hate the death penalty (and I'm neither Democrat nor Republican FWIW).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed with all this, and I still want to [censored] kill him.

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-16-2007 07:33 PM

Meh. I prefer life in prison, no parole, no protective custody, with full disclosure to the population (inmates and CO's) what he did.

Let nature take its course.

madnak 11-16-2007 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have one; it is a poll to gauge sentiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's exactly what it gauges: sentiment. An emotional reaction. A knee-jerk that should be recognized for what it is. Hell, an emotional desire that is probably very similar to the desire of the rapist.

tarheeljks 11-16-2007 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have one; it is a poll to gauge sentiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's exactly what it gauges: sentiment. An emotional reaction. A knee-jerk that should be recognized for what it is. Hell, an emotional desire that is probably very similar to the desire of the rapist.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was w/you until the bold part.

edit: and my knee jerk reaction is yes. i used to be pro dp, now sometimes i am sometimes i'm not-- haven't really resolved my issues w/it one way or the other.

StayHungry 11-16-2007 08:00 PM

This would fall under the endless list of things that would only concern me if it came into my life. Right now it doesn't so kill them what do I care. Kill some other people I don't know either, makes no diference to me.

David Sklansky 11-16-2007 08:14 PM

Before a poll like this can even mean anything, you must specify whether or not the altenative is life in prison with absolutely no chance of parole.

BluffTHIS! 11-16-2007 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before a poll like this can even mean anything, you must specify whether or not the altenative is life in prison with absolutely no chance of parole.

[/ QUOTE ]

A third alternative for multiple offenders (to eliminate an innocent person being so punished), should be mandatory physical castration. These pervs cannot be cured and should not be able to claim "rights to procreate" as a reason not to suffer such punishment.

Nielsio 11-16-2007 08:32 PM

Someone who does that is obviously very ill. People who are ill require treatment. They are ill after all. I suppose you don't send people with cancer to jail or execute people with a failing kidney.

BluffTHIS! 11-16-2007 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone who does that is obviously very ill. People who are ill require treatment. They are ill after all. I suppose you don't send people with cancer to jail or execute people with a failing kidney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nielso,

While that is true to a certain extent, there is also minimal personal responsibility for getting and maintaining *effective* treatment. Just as an alcoholic can choose to go to the bar or an AA meeting (even if the choice is really a long term one). Since the medical community seems to agree there is no other cure, then I maintain that physical castration is such a cure. And note that their "disease" doesn't just impact themselves, but their innocent victims who shouldn't be forced to suffer the results of same. We require by force of law if necessary, quarantine for contagious diseases. So there is a valid precedent and rationale for removing the ability of these perverts to harm others.