Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   BBV4Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   ZOMG MICRO ECONOMICS WTFFFF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539973)

NT! 11-06-2007 08:26 PM

Re: ZOMG MICRO ECONOMICS WTFFFF

[ QUOTE ]

Social Surplus=Net benefit to society, this stuff is created when benefits of something outweight its costs, like giving money to people who live near airports to make them happy about their [censored] conditions

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought social surplus was the net benefit to society of having something available on the free market? i.e. on a S/D graph, the area of the triangle between actual P/Q and the S/D intercepts.

Karak567 11-06-2007 08:29 PM

im an econ major

cool stuff, huh?

Karak567 11-06-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im failing so i cant help you.

[/ QUOTE ]

49 dollar buy-out paid in cash tomorrow?

Chump Change 11-06-2007 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LoL wouldnt this be a lockable thread in OOT and Student Life?

BBV4L however welcomes you sir!

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking for help with homework/schoolwork is against the protocol here too, but ol' wily NT managed to be elusive enough to get by.

dkgojackets 11-06-2007 08:30 PM

would social surplus be the same thing as positive externalities? Deadweight loss is what society loses because of less transactions occuring after a tax is imposed.

BTW Im in microecon this semester too and we have a midterm thursday

supply and demand wtf easy?

elasticity is %change in quantity over %change in price. I believe inelastic is over one, elastic below one, unit elastic = 1.

wdead 11-06-2007 08:31 PM

yea thats right.
here let me put it this way.
consumer surplus is when someone buys a product for $5 dollars that they value at 6 dollars. they have a surplus of 1 dollar.
producer surplus is when someone sells something for 5 dollars they value at 3 dollars.
Essentially, society (consisting only of buyer and seller) has gained 3 dollars worth of utility from this transaction. thus, there is a social surplus.
Note this can happen where both buyer and seller are happy.

Social surplus is thus consumer surplus+producer surplus.

So this will be look like the consumer surplus triangle (which is right) plus the producer surplus triangle (which is also right), creating a triangle pointing right on the S and D graph.
Note: Most government activities produce a NEGATIVE social surplus for society. Seriously.

Karak567 11-06-2007 08:32 PM

wal-mart produces nice social surpluses

but they are evil and the government is good, right?

lololol

Borodog 11-06-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
land is perfectly inelastic. E=100000000000000000000, because no matter what the price change, there will be no change in quantity consumed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. What?

kipin 11-06-2007 08:34 PM

I think E=MC^2

Karak567 11-06-2007 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
land is perfectly inelastic. E=100000000000000000000, because no matter what the price change, there will be no change in quantity consumed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. What?

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh

this depends on how you define "land consumption"