Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Major for aspiring pro poker player? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=538310)

FireStorm 11-05-2007 01:34 AM

Re: Major for aspiring pro poker player?

Take whatever major you would if you were planning on pursuing a regular career. Take a minor, or take elective courses, in Mathematics, possibly Psych or Sociology, etc. It's possible that Business Admin or Finance could give you some insight on handling bankroll, or parceling out money between savings and playing funds, etc.

furyshade 11-05-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the best thing a professional poker player could do is to drop out of school and put the time and money saved into poker. It's not a good bet though unless you are already making a comfortable living from poker.

I think a math or computer science degree would be ideal for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you plan to play poker during college, computer science would seem to be a huge time sink

Ganjasaurus Rex 11-05-2007 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do not major in psychology unless you are 100% sure that you want to go to some type of grad school. The only job you can get related to psychology with a BA would be a $10/hr research assistant position with no room to move up until you have an advanced degree.

[/ QUOTE ]
No offense, but that's not correct. There are many subdivisions of Psychology where you can get a good decent-paying salary with a B.A. Eng Psych, Human Factors, Ergonomics, Applied Cognition, to name a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know there are some opportunities out there, but I feel like they are few and far between. Out of like 25 people that graduated with me that majored in psych, 5 went to law school, 10 went to grad school, 7 got random finance/business jobs, and 3 are waiters.

Maybe its just my limited experience that I haven't come across these opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your points are valid for psych majors who just take a bunch of mental health classes (non applied). This is common for small Liberal Arts colleges, but not as common for major research universities. If you're wise in your approach and classload, a psych degree can be a great asset.

Quicksilvre 11-06-2007 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the best thing a professional poker player could do is to drop out of school and put the time and money saved into poker. It's not a good bet though unless you are already making a comfortable living from poker.

I think a math or computer science degree would be ideal for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you plan to play poker during college, computer science would seem to be a huge time sink

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say ditto for math, given personal experience, unless you're a savant for that sort of thing.

twonine29 11-06-2007 07:49 PM

Philosophy

supermangina 11-09-2007 04:14 PM

if you don't like or not good at math I wouldn't recommend taking them in university...big step up from high school [censored] after you've completed the first year courses

notfreemoney 11-09-2007 06:29 PM

2+2 archives101

TheSalche 11-09-2007 07:17 PM

psych with a math minor