Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Thoughts on EA Madden series (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536071)

JuntMonkey 11-01-2007 11:13 PM

Re: Thoughts on EA Madden series

Whatever happened to the Sony NFL Gameday games? In the late '90's they pwned all sports games...'97 and '98 both got 5 star ratings (very prestigious at the time) from Next Generation magazine.

Edit: From Wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
NFL Gameday 96 began to gain recognition as one of the Madden franchise’s biggest rivals. Gameday 97 continued the trend and was seen as a legitimate contender as the best football game of the time. When Gameday 98 was released, it was considered by many the greatest football game ever made and easily took the crown as the champion of football titles that season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The series ended when EA got the exclusive license in 2005.

littlekeed 11-01-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever happened to the Sony NFL Gameday games? In the late '90's they pwned all sports games...'97 and '98 both got 5 star ratings (very prestigious at the time) from Next Generation magazine.

Edit: From Wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
NFL Gameday 96 began to gain recognition as one of the Madden franchise’s biggest rivals. Gameday 97 continued the trend and was seen as a legitimate contender as the best football game of the time. When Gameday 98 was released, it was considered by many the greatest football game ever made and easily took the crown as the champion of football titles that season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The series ended when EA got the exclusive license in 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gameday went way down in quality on the PS2. It was the third best football game on the market, behind Madden and Sega's NFL 2K series. Considering how great each of those two were, there was no way the series could have survived. I doubt anyone really misses it either.

As for Sega's football games, that's a whole other story. I loved the Dreamcast games, and they really went out with a bang with NFL 2K5. That was probably the best football game on the market that year. It also only cost $20 which was awesome.

AceLuby 11-02-2007 11:42 AM

I really don't like the new series. It's not about reading a defense, finding the open guy and throwing anymore. Between QB vision, RB specials, lead blockers and all the pre-snap options it makes it nearly impossible to just pick up an play. '07 will be the last Madden game I buy for a while. Personally I think they peaked at '01.

yeotaJMU 11-02-2007 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like the new series. It's not about reading a defense, finding the open guy and throwing anymore. Between QB vision, RB specials, lead blockers and all the pre-snap options it makes it nearly impossible to just pick up an play. '07 will be the last Madden game I buy for a while. Personally I think they peaked at '01.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find this to be the opposite... if your pre snap reads are wrong you WILL throw interceptions just like in real football. i dont find that it is really "so many buttons" you need to push to play the game. i like how the defense has gotten better so you can shut teams down with good play calls and such. as for the RB its basically only the right stick and its not that advanced. i really like 08 over 07 thats just my two cents

rubbrband 11-02-2007 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
08>>>>>>>>>07 fwiw

g-bebe 11-02-2007 04:39 PM

have always prefered EA's NHL08 over NHL2K8, but when it comes to football, the only 2Kx experience I had was with 2K4, and I remember it being a helluva lot better than Madden.

PITTM 11-02-2007 06:05 PM

Yeah a lot of us were talking the other day about how FIFA08 is the only game EA sports now does better than its competitors.

capone0 11-02-2007 07:06 PM

You can't possibly think that the 2k sports Football Game is better than the Madden game.

reo 11-02-2007 07:09 PM

They need to fix rocket jumping in Madden. Throwing bombs is cake . . .

grando 11-02-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uh the more they add the better it makes it... football is a complicated game. sorry you n00bs cant just throw hail mary's all day and win now

[/ QUOTE ]

this might be the dumbest thing I've ever read