Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   QJs got there on river (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535771)

jlocdog 10-31-2007 11:40 PM

Re: QJs got there on river

To all those saying this bet is thin,

The reason many advocate a smaller bet is not to find a fold to a raise but rather attempt to extract a call from 9x/8x. Atleast that is my interpretation of the hand....

Jay Riall 10-31-2007 11:44 PM

I really don't think a big bet is any good here since you can't rep a bluff with this line. I mean, for you to be bluffing he has to put you on a double float pretty much. If there was a flush draw or something on the flop then a bigger bet would be more viable.

jacbmw 10-31-2007 11:45 PM

prob a little out of my depth here, i see your hand as a decent amount of showdown value, but i see the only hands you are beating that may call this are JJ and TT on the river. Folding the slim chance of AK, and getting C/r from sets.

Is the C/R out of the question for him on the river?

Would he have played a set like this?

If he would, i would be betting 1/2 pot VB.

Paul Thomson 10-31-2007 11:59 PM

I'd often raise the flop and if i didn't raise the flop, I'm almost always raising the turn

jacbmw 11-01-2007 12:00 AM

jlocdog, i think the chances of 9x/8x sort of hands are very unlikly given the pre flop action, and comprise a very small part of his range. I dont think that should be the justification for lowering you bet size

Paul Thomson 11-01-2007 12:02 AM

after rereading the hand, i kinda like a call on the turn now. since the board is dry the villain likely has a strong hand when he double barrells, all our outs are hidden so we're likely to get paid off.

none the less, i think the river is really thin, since both TT-JJ calls and KK-AA, but he probably folds alot of weaker hands because you should be checking behind alot on the river, unless you have a propensity to bet the river really thin.

jlocdog 11-01-2007 12:05 AM

"jlocdog, i think the chances of 9x/8x sort of hands are very unlikly given the pre flop action"

[ QUOTE ]
PF: 1 fold, Villan opens $7, all fold to me on the button, I call $7 with QJ, blinds fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? How did you interpret that from this statement?

PP up to JJ are also apart of his range. We beat all of them.
Infact KQ+ probably comprises less of his range then PP of 22-JJ,9x,8x.

tubasteve 11-01-2007 12:10 AM

Requin 11-01-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think a big bet is any good here since you can't rep a bluff with this line. I mean, for you to be bluffing he has to put you on a double float pretty much. If there was a flush draw or something on the flop then a bigger bet would be more viable.

[/ QUOTE ]Well 67 but yeah it is hard to rep a bluff here. Your most likely bluffing hand, aside from 67, is a made hand turned into a bluff. To rep that, though, I think you should bet bigger, since you're 'trying to fold out a made medium-to-strong hand'.

Hail Eris 11-01-2007 12:23 AM

Meh, I like it. He'll say you have JT or a bluff, and he won't think you're bluffing if you bet weak.

I don't think you can rep a made hand turned bluff here, but if that's what you were doing, you would also bet strong.