Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Moving Up (tl;dr) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=534322)

QTip 10-30-2007 09:54 AM

Re: Moving Up (tl;dr)

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice post but I'm a bit confused regarding your personal story. I read some QTip threads today about you going pro and then going back to regular work again , saying you won't be posting much at these forums.

I gather you're back ? Where's the missing post ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read posts like that, you were going back a ways and were reading from the limit forum. I did play full time in limit. I made a lot of money, but not enough for our lifestyle back then (I have a family of 5). I did get a job and took a break from cards around March 2006. That's the gap between the then and April 2007 when I decided to fiddle around with NL. I still have a full time job.

This actually brings up a great topic as well. After March 2006, we drasiticlly reduced our spending. Now we have a much more modest budget. Having a job and not depending on the poker money is HUGE for building the roll and playing without any preasure. There's nothing worse than a big downswing when bills are pouring in. Also, if you're building your roll to move up in stakes, any withdraw for spending really sucks.

QTip 10-30-2007 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do my best not to tangle with them too much, but I’m NOTscared to either if you know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

threads13 10-30-2007 10:06 AM

You sure have moved up quickly. It inspires me to get my head out of my arse.

xxrod17xx 10-30-2007 10:18 AM

You put in the work for sure. We started at 10NL at the same time and I am only at 25NL! I am taking a bit of a different road. I feel I am missing a lot of the basic concepts of the math and stuff in Hold'em that I am 100% you already had coming in from your limit background. I single table to try and develop these basics and then I will def start adding tables as soon I feel like I have the basics down. Ill catch up to you in no time!

gieffe 10-30-2007 11:53 AM

you have a family of 5, a full time job and still u can play so many hands? how many hours a day can you dedicate to poker?

i have a full time job and a family of... 3 and struggling to play at least 1-2 hours per day.

thanks for your tips, they all make a lot of sense.

QTip 10-30-2007 11:59 AM

I have 86 hours in this month. This is about 3 hours a day average. I try to get in like an hour somewhere before night time, and then get a couple in at night after the kids go to bed.

Landlord79 10-30-2007 12:22 PM

I think I'm gonna get off my butt and try adding a site to my regular Bodog regiment. We'll see how it goes. I'm also gonna take a shot at $200NL the first time that I feel 100% in November. Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm only able to play about 2 hrs a day for 2 to 4 days in a week. My one kid (2) needs to be in bed and my wife needs to be given attention to first, so I have to tred lightly with the poker thing. Usually 20 hours or so.

kidpokeher 10-30-2007 01:15 PM

Nice post Q-tip, thanks for sharing.

helter skelter 10-30-2007 02:14 PM

What is your xx\xx\xx?

Any particular opening hand strategy you follow?

QTip 10-30-2007 02:35 PM

Like a lot of players, I've adjusted this several times...always coming up with different thoughts. I've ranged from playing stretches of hands at 18/12, 16/14, 14/7

etc.

I stay pretty aggressive around 3.x

Most of the time as you're tables go up, your vpip/pfr % go down. You're just forced to play a bit more ABC game.