Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Are the $3r turbo satellites a good bankroll builder? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533154)

Sherman 10-28-2007 09:40 PM

Re: Are the $3r turbo satellites a good bankroll builder?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the meantime, I remembered the other reason why I don't like the 3r turbo sats (and it is related to the others).

They don't pay enough players in general. That is, if the 3r sats regularly had 1000 runners, I would play them all day. There is sure to be tons of seats (100 maybe?). The fact is, sats that pay more seats are >>>>>>>> profitable than sats that pay only 1 or a few seats (i.e. less than 18).

The 3r sats don't pay that many seats on average. Thus, the quality of play at the end is better (people get real conservative, the players remaining are better, etc.). In sats that pay many seats, your EV goes way up b/c lots of bad players are left and lots of players play improperly with regards to Adanthar's strat. advice.

The $5r to the $55 pays 30-50 seats on average. That is a huge number of seats and that means it is relatively easy to find yourself folding into a seat.

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for this advice. As I have a couple of weeks left before I start back on Stars I'm going to be looking closely at the stats in these tourneys. Those sats to the $55 tourneys also look appealing.

Is there anywhere I can be looking (apart from Adanthars strat thread) to help improve my understanding of what is needed in these tourneys?

How much do you allow yourself to spend in these sats to the $55?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this is the trickiest part of playing these. You obviously don't want to go crazy and spend $65 to win T$55.

However, I do not set a limit.

I approach these differently from other rebuy tournaments because my ROI has a cap and because many people don't rebuy/add-on.

Here is what I do. Take a rebuy right away. Then play it like a freezeout. If I bust, I double rebuy and play it like a freezeout. I repeat as necessary (people play so bad that I can get to the add-on with only 1 rebuy relatively often). But I am playing like a normal freezeout. Not passing up edges, etc.

I always take the add-on. Then it is obv. like a satellite from there.

Anyhow, the average stack after the rebuy period is by no means huge (like you are used to seeing in regular rebuys).
I always figure the Average amount of chips at the satellite bubble after the add-on period is over. It is usually ~12K in chips. I shoot for that number. Of course you can make it in with a little less, but once you reach that number, you can often comfortably fold in depending on how close you are to the bubble. If you get to something like 20K, you are all but Gtd. to be in. Don't [censored] it up.

So anyhow, the key is that these rebuy sats don't play like regular rebuys. People don't rebuy as much and your ROI is capped much shorter (i.e. each rebuy significantly hampers your ROI). However, there is still never any reason to quit one. EVER. Even if you have spent $55, you certainly shouldn't quit. That money is gone. Ignore it. Think about the money you are trying to win. If you bust on the hand right before the break, double-rebuy and add-on. You'll still have 3.5K in chips and only need to ~triple to get a seat.

I hope that helps.

Sherman

ChipSpeak 10-29-2007 01:25 AM

Re: Are the $3r turbo satellites a good bankroll builder?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the meantime, I remembered the other reason why I don't like the 3r turbo sats (and it is related to the others).

They don't pay enough players in general. That is, if the 3r sats regularly had 1000 runners, I would play them all day. There is sure to be tons of seats (100 maybe?). The fact is, sats that pay more seats are >>>>>>>> profitable than sats that pay only 1 or a few seats (i.e. less than 18).

The 3r sats don't pay that many seats on average. Thus, the quality of play at the end is better (people get real conservative, the players remaining are better, etc.). In sats that pay many seats, your EV goes way up b/c lots of bad players are left and lots of players play improperly with regards to Adanthar's strat. advice.

The $5r to the $55 pays 30-50 seats on average. That is a huge number of seats and that means it is relatively easy to find yourself folding into a seat.

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for this advice. As I have a couple of weeks left before I start back on Stars I'm going to be looking closely at the stats in these tourneys. Those sats to the $55 tourneys also look appealing.

Is there anywhere I can be looking (apart from Adanthars strat thread) to help improve my understanding of what is needed in these tourneys?

How much do you allow yourself to spend in these sats to the $55?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this is the trickiest part of playing these. You obviously don't want to go crazy and spend $65 to win T$55.

However, I do not set a limit.

I approach these differently from other rebuy tournaments because my ROI has a cap and because many people don't rebuy/add-on.

Here is what I do. Take a rebuy right away. Then play it like a freezeout. If I bust, I double rebuy and play it like a freezeout. I repeat as necessary (people play so bad that I can get to the add-on with only 1 rebuy relatively often). But I am playing like a normal freezeout. Not passing up edges, etc.

I always take the add-on. Then it is obv. like a satellite from there.

Anyhow, the average stack after the rebuy period is by no means huge (like you are used to seeing in regular rebuys).
I always figure the Average amount of chips at the satellite bubble after the add-on period is over. It is usually ~12K in chips. I shoot for that number. Of course you can make it in with a little less, but once you reach that number, you can often comfortably fold in depending on how close you are to the bubble. If you get to something like 20K, you are all but Gtd. to be in. Don't [censored] it up.

So anyhow, the key is that these rebuy sats don't play like regular rebuys. People don't rebuy as much and your ROI is capped much shorter (i.e. each rebuy significantly hampers your ROI). However, there is still never any reason to quit one. EVER. Even if you have spent $55, you certainly shouldn't quit. That money is gone. Ignore it. Think about the money you are trying to win. If you bust on the hand right before the break, double-rebuy and add-on. You'll still have 3.5K in chips and only need to ~triple to get a seat.

I hope that helps.

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, these are very lucrative, dead money sats are sweet.