Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   If you died today.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=532064)

gobbomom 10-26-2007 05:58 PM

Re: If you died today....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not having a funeral, I think they're dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you'll havemuch say in the matter.

EDIT: In what way do you find funerals dumb?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course I have a say in the matter. My kids know I don't want a funeral. Funerals serve 3 purposes:
1) to memorialize the dead person's life
I feel no need for this because the best things I accomplished in this life live on after me
2) to give a sense of closure
I think this is unnecessary because there never really is closure when the dead person's memory lives on forever. I'd prefer to remember someone, and have others remember me, as a living vibrant being.
3) to provide comfort to the surviving loved ones
I don't think there is any comfort involved in a funeral. I think it's a huge imposition to ask of those in mourning to entertain and put on a happy face for an audience. Or conversely, show how well or not they handle their very private feelings.

oddjob 10-26-2007 06:00 PM

my 2 bowling buddies would probably just spread my ashes.

NT! 10-26-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a huge imposition to ask of those in mourning to entertain and put on a happy face for an audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah because it's totally customary for next of kin to do a little tap dance, or some vaudeville prior to the eulogy.

i'm going to let the living decide what to do with my corpse, so long as i'm not a financial burden i think anything else is vain.

oddjob 10-26-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not having a funeral, I think they're dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you'll havemuch say in the matter.

EDIT: In what way do you find funerals dumb?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course I have a say in the matter. My kids know I don't want a funeral. Funerals serve 3 purposes:
1) to memorialize the dead person's life
I feel no need for this because the best things I accomplished in this life live on after me
2) to give a sense of closure
I think this is unnecessary because there never really is closure when the dead person's memory lives on forever. I'd prefer to remember someone, and have others remember me, as a living vibrant being.
3) to provide comfort to the surviving loved ones
I don't think there is any comfort involved in a funeral. I think it's a huge imposition to ask of those in mourning to entertain and put on a happy face for an audience. Or conversely, show how well or not they handle their very private feelings.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're so deep

gobbomom 10-26-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you're so deep

[/ QUOTE ]

well then I guess it's time for some wine.

istewart 10-26-2007 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My kids

[/ QUOTE ]
Describing gobboboy in the plural is just mean, dude.

Klompy 10-26-2007 06:07 PM

I don't have a clue how many people would show up, but I bet the number would depend a lot on how I died.

Autocratic 10-26-2007 06:46 PM

All I know is that I told my Dad I want my ashes thrown at a pedestrian on the street. The funeral is of secondary importance.

XXXNoahXXX 10-26-2007 07:37 PM

I want my tombstone to be a life-sized replica of me in a basketball jersey, with my name across the top of the back and my number being the last two digits of the year I died.

As for my funeral, I honestly could care less. Actually, I think I'd like to be cremated and spread somewhere though because then my family won't feel obligated to visit some grave site.

Either that or have my corpse cooked into a stew for my family to eat so that I can live on through them.

neuroman 10-26-2007 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd like to be cremated and spread somewhere

[/ QUOTE ]
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1...garine1rt4.jpg

?