Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Stealing blinds whilst disconnected (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531010)

Bertrand13 10-25-2007 01:10 PM

Re: Stealing blinds whilst disconnected

its poker...you should doo whatever it takes to win

i really dont understand ethics in poker

its not like business where being unethical can come back to hurt you...unless you beleive in that karma crap

Dunkman 10-25-2007 01:20 PM

Yeah I mean I wouldn't do it in a 180 (it's come up, I sat out) but I mean if I were HU in the million or something I'm not sure how strong my convictions would be.

binarysmil 10-25-2007 01:27 PM

Well the answer seems obvious to me.
Get the money...Its not steal, you play by the rules. A player is not here, you can do whatever you want.
Cmon, do you think your rivals will do this for you ? Most of them probably would not.

Ontario_Tory 10-25-2007 01:31 PM

I guess there's a difference between being honourable and being ethical.

Honourable: Sitting out until the other guy comes back.

Ethical: Giving the other guy a reasonable amount of time to come back, and then slowly taking blinds. (waiting 5 or 10 seconds each hand, etc).

Non-Ethical: Angle-shooting by immediately doing everything in your power to make things happen to maximize your gain. (i.e. insta raising every hand).

auc hincloss 10-25-2007 01:42 PM

would you say the same thing if you were a 5:1 dog at the time?

Sherman 10-25-2007 01:42 PM

I misunderstood the question originally and voted wrong.

Anyhow, I think that if you are going to play online poker you are taking a risk that your connection will go bad. Therefore, I don't think it is unethical at all to steal the blinds when a player disconnects. Both players are taking the same risk. It's called gambling.

Sherman

aditya 10-25-2007 02:00 PM

I sat in a 100 HU SNG. He obv disconnects like 5 minutes into the match. I wait around 15-20 minutes for him to return. He finally comes back and doesn't even say ty. I was like maybe chat banned or w/e, who gives. But he disconnects again, and I insta rape his blinds. He comes back and I finish the match off.

Moral: While I was sitting there folding, I felt honorable, but once he came back I felt stupid cause he was literally disconnecting every hand and it took forever for him to just check (basically his entire timebank.) He prolly had a [censored] connection and that's his fault, but if it's just a one time thing, I wouldn't have been that upset.

Moral: prolly do it in a big tourney or w/e where the money means a lot, but don't do it if its a hu sng or w/e cause your wasting your valuable time and its only 1 buyin.

DonJ 10-25-2007 02:13 PM

This has happened a couple times in smaller S&gs Ive played in. I usually type in that I will give him 3 or 4 minutes or whatever and then after that I will be taking the blinds since Ive got to get going. One thing to remember is that while he is sitting out the clock has restarted and blinds are moving up. Why should you suffer from higher blinds once he comes back when it is no fault of your own? In a bigger MTT I would probably do the same thing.

BrandiFan 10-25-2007 03:01 PM

If it's stars, he automatically gets like 3 minutes for the first hand then 2, then 1, iirc. That's plenty of time to call a friend or get a backup connection going.
I am not playing poker to make friends and I don't want to let the blinds escalate while I wait. Take what you can get.

Exitonly 10-25-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I misunderstood the question originally and voted wrong.

Anyhow, I think that if you are going to play online poker you are taking a risk that your connection will go bad. Therefore, I don't think it is unethical at all to steal the blinds when a player disconnects. Both players are taking the same risk. It's called gambling.

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

that said, if i were in the situation, i'dbe a 'nice guy' and take maximum time each hand before i raised.